Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting read.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

"I was hoping maybe to get a crossbow and shoot them with that, as it would be safer"........I wonder does he realise that this is illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Cass wrote: »
    Had a read of this. To all those thinking they won't do you over having too much ammo, well there you go.

There are other "things" in the article that have me wondering, but i'll leave that until you have had a chance to read it.

No mention of how much ammo is too much.

Supplementing your income??? Social Protection/Revenue love reading about that.

The line about the crossbow though...holy sh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I get the feeling he may regret giving that interview...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

berettaman wrote: »
    Had a read of this. To all those thinking they won't do you over having too much ammo, well there you go.

There are other "things" in the article that have me wondering, but i'll leave that until you have had a chance to read it.

No mention of how much ammo is too much.

Supplementing your income??? Social Protection/Revenue love reading about that.

The line about the crossbow though...holy sh1t...

I presume one round above your licence limit, technically you are breaking the law. But with the price of centrefire rifle ammo, i'd have to win the lotto to buy that amount of ammo.

If he is on disability benefit, and was making up to €15,000 a year selling carcasses, then he might have cut his own throat there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Holy Humpadoo Christ! This guy takes the window licking, crayon eating, helmet wearing award for blatant moronity 2018, in this article...:eek:
    Screw up your chances of getting your guns back,your welfare payments,but no doubt he will have a good chance of getting a job with Coilte!:rolleyes:
    TBH, this guy shouldn't be let out with a water pistol, let alone a deer rifle, if he is that ignorant of both firearms laws and game laws.

When I read the headline I thought it was referring to this article which is another excess of ammo.But seems to have been an ongoing thing from 3 years ago with a CAB raid.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/pj-mansfield-faces-trial-on-bullet-charge-36967365.html

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sons-of-billionaire-businessman-jim-mansfield-to-go-on-trial-on-ammunition-charges-742394.html
    PS anyone know what calibre "Walther ammunition " is?.My reference books and interweb are drawing blanks on that one??:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Better off keeping quiet and going about his business the ticko

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sons-of-billionaire-businessman-jim-mansfield-to-go-on-trial-on-ammunition-charges-742394.html
    PS anyone know what calibre "Walther ammunition " is?.My reference books and interweb are drawing blanks on that one??:rolleyes:

Second sentence of report says ".22 Walther ammunition". Calibre omitted further down by writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Jesus what was he thinking giving that interview. He ramble on about all sorts of crap. Last I checked stalking can be tough on the most abled body man let alone someone deemed disabled enough to receive state funded money.
    Saying that a good reporter can ask the right questions and arrange any answer to get the article he/she wants.
    I would guess the Gardi never found unlicensed guns so needed something to prosecute him on considering they went in like seal team 6 on bin laden and only found some extra ammo, he must have had everything else done by the book.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Holy Humpadoo Christ! This guy takes the window licking, crayon eating, helmet wearing award for blatant moronity 2018, in this article...:eek:
    Screw up your chances of getting your guns back,your welfare payments,but no doubt he will have a good chance of getting a job with Coilte!:rolleyes:
    TBH, this guy shouldn't be let out with a water pistol, let alone a deer rifle, if he is that ignorant of both firearms laws and game laws.

When I read the headline I thought it was referring to this article which is another excess of ammo.But seems to have been an ongoing thing from 3 years ago with a CAB raid.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/pj-mansfield-faces-trial-on-bullet-charge-36967365.html

You see ? This is why we need the compulsory hcrap course :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wouldn't be of the mindset to say the chap should be investigated for his "supplementary income" because it's not the 80s and anything that goes along with our unelected leader's bullsh*t to distract people from the real crimes going on in this country (Garda scandal, HSE scandal, Bond/Bank scandal, Vulture funds, NAMA scandal, etc) that effect us is a no go in my book.

However he really doesn't do himself any favours for all the reasons outlined above. I know of two lads that shoot as many, if not more, deer than him and have heard rumor of more but they're only rumors. SO while it's not surprising, it is to hear someone openly admit it and land himself, potentially, in more hot water.

Frankly i think he has, excuse the pun, shot himself in the foot. The time for this sort of story is never, but at least wait till you've gotten your guns back.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

Sorry guys, this lad is a thug and what’s completely wrong with our hobby! He’s a dole scrounger and I hope the social get him. He’s the reason why people like me pay taxes and work and are sickened, to keep a bum like him in his rollies. And then to add insult, a yock like this is the reason why the rest of us who go for an odd shot can’t get deer because he’s at it 24/7. Hope the cops take everything he’s got!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

There's a smell of Walther Mitty off that lad......

gunny123 wrote: »
    You see ? This is why we need the compulsory hcrap course :rolleyes:.

HCAP is a pile imo, but not getting into it.

Bet you he’s got it too.

madmac187 wrote: »
    HCAP is a pile imo, but not getting into it.

Bet you he’s got it too.

I seriously doubt it, not with him coming out with corkers like he wants to shoot deer in a kids sports ground with a crossbow ! But there is one in every village so they say.

I wonder how him getting his gun licence back will work out for him ?

gunny123 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it, not with him coming out with corkers like he wants to shoot deer in a kids sports ground with a crossbow ! But there is one in every village so they say.

I wonder how him getting his gun licence back will work out for him ?

Tbh I hope he doesn’t. Sooner the better there is a tagging system introduced for what is shot for deer the better because it’s scrots like him ruining it for everyone, I do not think anyone should be shooting deer for payment like that because they are really ruining it for the hobbyists.

Tagging will be the final "Crowning turd in the water pipe." [As Gen Melchitt said in Blackadder] to us ligit hunters.:mad:
    WE will end up paying for it, and it won't be cheap either. After all, an NGO must pay for issuing them, admin costs and whatnot. Think the Govt will do that for free??
    It won't stop dickheads like this as they will figure out a system with dodgy game dealers.
    It won't be a system like the US with tamperproof tags. Going by the huge expense put into our oh so durable firearms licenses:rolleyes:.It will be farmed out to the cheapest bidder and therefore the most easily forged.

Best thing is people like this are shown up for what they are in the media, and this fella has done a fine job of making the rope, building the gallows and obligingly tied the knot and pulled the lever on himself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

There's a smell of Walther Mitty off that lad......

Nope..................he ain't my brother :p

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I find it hard to see why numerous guards would use a battering ram to break down your door for reports of an unlicensed firearm unless there is more to this than is being reported.
    From a man with a debilitating lung condition serious enough to be in receipt of disabillity allowance he is doing mighty well to be shooting, field dressing and digging 1 mtr pits.
    Hes a fitter man than I.
    I think the deer of galway can sleep better after reading his article i cant imagine he will be shooting much from now on. I would like to know how he gets on with that crossbow application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nice to learn something new from an expert, you can't hunt deer after 8pm, really ? I'd say most who would be shooting deer at that rate only get ready to go out at 8pm in the middle of winter....

Galway also has an awful quare season too..They only can hunt ,unlike the rest of the 26,starting in October?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/deer-hunter-has-guns-confiscated-by-gardai-in-row-over-ammunition-36975921.html

subjects for comment or opinion,
    1. "disabled" hunter stalking, dressing, dragging 200 deer per year .
    2. charges struck out after judge directs 500 euro donation to SPCA, therefore no conviction for illegal ammunition possession so, in the absence of a conviction can the Gardai withold his firearms or revoke his licenses
    3. he says ammunition issue only a technicality and he should have his firearms returned.
    4. 150 deer per year sold @ average 85 euro per 12,750 euro, issues around Disability Benefit and also tax issues .
    5. Crossbow comments,

IMO this lad is doing the sport no favours with this interview

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Sorry Cass I hadn't seen your post on this , can you please merge mine with this thread mine headed "Interesting case also"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

This thread and some of the related legal stuff going on at the moment had me double check my ammo limits. Lo and behold, one of my rifle licenses that used to have 300 rounds on it but had mysteriously dropped to 200 at the last renewal without me noticing. I could very easily have inadvertently found myself in possession of too many rounds (given that I fire about 10 rounds per annum out of that particular rifle, not likely!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Savage93 wrote:
    subjects for comment or opinion, 1. "disabled" hunter stalking, dressing, dragging 200 deer per year . 2. charges struck out after judge directs 500 euro donation to SPCA, therefore no conviction for illegal ammunition possession so, in the absence of a conviction can the Gardai withold his firearms or revoke his licenses 3. he says ammunition issue only a technicality and he should have his firearms returned. 4. 150 deer per year sold @ average 85 euro per 12,750 euro, issues around Disability Benefit and also tax issues . 5. Crossbow comments,

Don't forget the 50 he sells to his friends with no traceability. Is that not illegal?

Don't forget the 50 he sells to his friends with no traceability. Is that not illegal?

If he is selling, that's another 50 deer to his tally. Would have been smarter to say he was "giving" his friends some meat. But then again this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the box anyway.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You can give away all the game and venison you like. Once money changes hands one of the involved parties has to be a licensed dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Lads starting to sound like collector generals here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

This guy is a symptom of everything that is wrong is our sport.
    1. No respect is shown for the deer.
    2. Money is the main driver
    3. There is no national deer management plan.
    4. It is harder for a decent sportsman to get a deer licence than yobs like this.

Advertisement