Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you pay for the house ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

eviltwin wrote: »
    Have to be honest, when someone I know tells me they bought a house I usually ask the price :o I've no problem telling people how much mine cost so maybe that's why. A polite "I'd rather not discuss it" should do the trick.

I never ask people things like that. I find most people will blurt it out eventually without being asked directly. I usually just make some remarks, like "the banks of got very awkward to deal with and as for Estate Agents....". That usually gets them going and start talking about how the bidding went, how much the new neighbour paid etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jester77 wrote: »
    What is wrong with telling people how much you paid for a house or how much rent you are paying?

I find it very odd that anyone would be offended or just wouldn't answer. It is regularly asked where I live and I've never heard of anyone not answering. I never even thought it could be an issue until I saw this thread.

Very strange imo :confused:
    Irish cultural thing. Don't discuss money. Don't discuss what you earn, don't discuss how much you have saved.

Everything else is an offshoot from this - if you tell people how much your house/car/holiday/renovations cost, then you are in some small way revealing how much money you have.

And because "everyone knows" that you're not supposed to talk about money, it's automatically assumed that anyone who does ask, is being nosey and intends to gossip and tell the whole town how much money you have. Respectful people don't ask these questions.

I have absolutely no idea where it comes from; it might be a post-British thing. But asking someone how much they've earned is basically as intrusive as asking them how often they have sex with their wife.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I really find spoof like that tiresome to read, she gets some inheritance and most folk get some help too ........."Many of us are lucky to receive a gift or loan from family – and in this market, it is almost essential. The vast majority of friends in a position to buy recently have only been able to do so because their deposits have been supplemented by such presents, or in cases like ours, inheritance following the death of a parent or close family member.

That is a travesty. Couples in their mid-30s with decent jobs should be able to comfortably afford a small starter home in Dublin without a dig-out from family, alive or dead"

they can love.

Advertisement