Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Sligo

Options
  • 04-06-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

What's Sligo like as a place to live for someone with no connection to the place?

Comments

Have you work lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Have you work lined up?

No, starting a business in the service industry from scratch

Well I was going to say, if you have a job lined up, Sligo is as good a place as you can get, and in many aspects, way better than most.

However, starting a new-start up business, (not that I've got business experience), will be tough. However, new businesses, if they fit into and compliment existing businesses, should be welcomed.

I'd be networking with the business community first of all, and all agencies who can provide advice before you move here.

I'm not sure of the % of start-up businesses in Sligo that are a success, but it aint high and it wont be easy. You'd need to get your homework done first. Good luck with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Well I was going to say, if you have a job lined up, Sligo is as good a place as you can get, and in many aspects, way better than most.

However, starting a new-start up business, (not that I've got business experience), will be tough. However, new businesses, if they fit into and compliment existing businesses, should be welcomed.

I'd be networking with the business community first of all, and all agencies who can provide advice before you move here.

I'm not sure of the % of start-up businesses in Sligo that are a success, but it aint high and it wont be easy. You'd need to get your homework done first. Good luck with things.

The OP will not necessarily be aiming his business at an exclusively Sligo market anyhow it wasn't business advice the OP was looking for.

Sligo is affordable, you can buy for under 100k, things to do like sailing, golf, surfing, hillwalking , , beach fishing are close (< 5 miles) and most if not all of the above can be done on public transport, nice scenery, good music scene, eating out options are good, some nice pubs (go to the right ones and you will meet people easy enough).
    It used to have a very handsome town centre but years of bad decision making has lead to it becoming a little run down, however there are plans to improve the Riverside area in the town centre, traffic is fucity, the one way system passeth all understanding, parking is sh1t and there are more traffic lights in town than the entire counties of Mayo, Donegal, Leitrim and Roscommon(excluding the Athlone bit) put together. Good for cycling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I knew no one is Sligo before I moved here. But as RedArmyBlues says, loads to do, and loads of events going on, to cater nearly every taste. Plenty of natural beauty, and quite friendly town centre.

As said, traffic can be a bit mental for a town its size, but good bus and train links, and road network out of it, to Donegal, Dublin, and Galway.

• Advertisement

The OP will not necessarily be aiming his business at an exclusively Sligo market anyhow it wasn't business advice the OP was looking for.

Yes I was making an assumption that the OP was aiming at a Sligo regional market. Totally different scenario altogether.

Yes I was making an assumption that the OP was aiming at a Sligo market. Totally different scenario altogether.

That we do, or do not know. But he wants to know, what its like as a place to live, for someone with no connections to the place.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    That we do, or do not know. But he wants to know, what its like as a place to live, for someone with no connections to the place.

Yes, redarmyblues has already made that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Carnmore wrote: »

Swap around the second and third letters of your username, and you'll blend in fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Swap around the second and third letters of your username, and you'll blend in fine :D

Explain please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

insider "joke"...Cranmore...bit of a dodgy area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

peasant wrote: »
    insider "joke"...Cranmore...bit of a dodgy area

Caltragh is the new Cranmore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

Caltragh is the new Cranmore.....

Which Caltragh? There are 2.

Which Caltragh? There are 2.

Theres actually at least 3 estates within Caltragh, 4 if you count the small horse shoe Rusheen Cresent. Only 2 of the estates as far as I know, has Caltragh in the title, and one was nearly always dodgy.

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify, I'd be starting a service business from scratch so it would be important to know about the local economy so any replies related to self-employment would also be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Most of that road is fine, with nice people who have lived there forever. But that particular house wouldn't be fine. At all.

Crozon and Caltragh Heights are fine. I live in the social housing area of Caltragh and it's fine too, but does have a poor reputation. We are well segregated from the private estate so you wouldl be fine!

Most of that road is fine, with nice people who have lived there forever. But that particular house wouldn't be fine. At all.

Crozon and Caltragh Heights are fine. I live in the social housing area of Caltragh and it's fine too, but does have a poor reputation. We are well segregated from the private estate so you wouldl be fine!

What’s wrong with that particular house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

What’s wrong with that particular house?

The neighbours.

https://touch.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/sligo/53-st-annes-terrace-sligo-sligo-1694498

If it was me for Less than 150k, this one.
    I am not the vendor and I know them not. Nice area v close to town centre but next to Riverside too.

Local economy in doldrums since crash but showing signs of recovery 2018.

https://touch.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/sligo/53-st-annes-terrace-sligo-sligo-1694498

If it was me for Less than 150k, this one.
    I am not the vendor and I know them not. Nice area v close to town centre but next to Riverside too.

Local economy in doldrums since crash but showing signs of recovery 2018.

Thank you - it doesn't have much kerb appeal though?

I also need rear/side access

Thank you - it doesn't have much kerb appeal though?

I also need rear/side access

Dunno what kerb appeal it's but it does appear to have access at the side

Dunno what kerb appeal it's

Polite for grotty

Lovely interior, big downstairs for a 2 bed, porch looks a bit ropey but I still would love to portfolio that one, beats Qland any day.

Lovely interior, big downstairs for a 2 bed, porch looks a bit ropey but I still would love to portfolio that one, beats Qland any day.

Agreed re interior although I need either side parking or rear access and there appears to be neither

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I am not sure what stage in your life you are at family etc..

Some coments:

Sligo is in a great location if you are into activities, within 5 miles of the town center you have lakes, rivers, forests, mountains and sea.

There are some great activity companies working and offering services and activities in this space.

Regarding a service industry it depends on what it is servicing.

Industry is mainly manufacturing and pharma although there is an explosion of jobs in IT (research) and services.

There is also a strong hospitality industry with some great hotels, restaurants, and dare I say coffee shops.

I am not sure if you are hoping to rent or buy and what your budget is. If you give more details on this. Also are you limited to Sligo town or would you condider outside town and how far.

I think Sligo is a great location. Great schools and a great quality of life with plenty of space. If you would like to PM me with more details I might be able to give more specific advice.

Wishing you all the best for a successful move and a successful business.

Also don't forget there are a number of supports if you are setting up a business, particularly if you are currently unemployed.

Also there is a new frontiers programme in the IT which will mentor and support the development of a new business.

Also at the Techlife balance 2 event on Thursday the incomming IT companies were very open to hearing about companies that could assist them and were open to discussions.

The staff in the Sligo Chamber are excellent for advice also.

If you were looking outside the town, something like this might offer potential.

http://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/easkey/main-street-easkey-sligo-1431270/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

dingding wrote: »
    I am not sure what stage in your life you are at family etc..

Some coments:

Any chance you could elaborate for a young family? Wife and I, currently in Dublin, have a ten month old and may want another. I have a 100% remote job (coding) and Sligo looks like it might be an attractive place to be, especially since you note good schools, but then you read about people being under siege and that sounds, well, horrible. How could someone without a connection to the are know how to avoid things like getting robbed all the time or rocks thrown at your head?

Advertisement