Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual attacks and harassemnt in Limerick

• 04-06-2018 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, so i'm going to Limerick pretty much in September, and I'm taking my wife with me, we are from Zurich and I have been read a lot about this kind of attacks in Limerick mostly by Brazilians womans, "my wife is Brazilian"  they say that it happens very often and even when they report to the gardai nothing happens, places like the walking trail in the University of Limerick are not safe and they are usualy walking in groups of 6 or more young mans, and looks like this is "normal" wtf? is that true? is that dangerous? I mean i was on Instagram the last Sunday and this lady made a video of a recent attack went to the gardai and guess what? nothing.

so I pretty much wanna hear it from locals? Is it that happening often?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Also never heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'd love to know where you're getting that information from. Questionable source to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Never heard of it either.
    Care to share the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Edson122

banie01 wrote: »
    Never heard of it either.
    Care to share the source?
    yeah sure, @brunamazzer is her Instagram

Well, glad to know from the locals that it's not like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is this clickbait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Edson122 wrote: »
    yeah sure, @brunamazzer is her Instagram

Well, glad to know from the locals that it's not like that

Had a look at the insta, if yer wan was chocolate she'd eat herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

she is a Travel Influencer seemingly.. Have you ever heard of such sh1te.

SNNUS wrote: »
    she is a Travel Influencer seemingly.. Have you ever heard of such sh1te.

She probably couldn't even pick out the island if she was handed a world map, let alone a specific city.

jaxxx wrote: »
    She probably couldn't even pick out the island if she was handed a world map, let alone a specific city.

My job is instagram.. And all photos are of herself.. self indulgent nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lol

What a load of shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Never heard of it. The bigger question is why on earth are you moving to Limerick?

Never heard of it. The bigger question is why on earth are you moving to Limerick?
    University of Limerick, lol

For the shoppi.... Umm. For the public transp..... Hmm. For the affordable accom.... Errr. For donkey fords? Ok we'll go with Donkey Fords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

A brazilian worried about safety in Limerick? (the instagram yoke not the Op)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Yeah I'm going to say that's complete horse ****. There is an enormous Brazilian Community in Limerick of which I have friends that are part of it. I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

Let's face it she has demonstrated that she needs lots of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP, if you knew Limerick, any fella would be crazy to try attack a girl in Limerick. Most of the women living here would kick the head off anyone that tried attacking them!

All joking aside though, honestly, this isn't a thing. Limerick is no more dangerous than another city.

For example according to the CSO in last quarter 2017 there was 32 reported crimes under the heading sexual offences in Limerick. There was 55 in Cork, over 250 in Dublin and 25 in Galway.

You can check it yourself here https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=cjq03

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jaxxx wrote: »
    For the shoppi.... Umm. For the public transp..... Hmm. For the affordable accom.... Errr. For donkey fords? Ok we'll go with Donkey Fords.

I wouldnt bother if thats the only reason

• Advertisement

Thnx for the answers guys, I didn't want to pass any judgment before talking with locals, I figured she likes some attention and maybe is exaggerating,  a Brazilian worried about safety in Limerick its kind of a joke, I guess when they go to Europe, they think its like the land of Honey and Milk 100%  safety with good and polite people everywhere which there is some kind of truth to it if you compare with third world countries but its not perfect, she honeslty made my wife think that as normal thing and no ones do nothing. Again tnx for the answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I work at the University of Limerick. We would generally hear about attacks in the environs of the campus as this would be communicated on to the students, but I have not seen any such notices in a long time.

The track by the river was upgraded a few years ago and is now a very popular amenity in Limerick with circuit training equipment installed along the way.

Limerick had its problems in the past (10 years or more) but there was a strong initiative by the city working with the guards (police) to manage crime and its a different city now.

As a BTW, I dont know how anyone would know your wife is from Brazil. Ireland is fairly multicultural at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Absolutely there is sexual harrasment in Limerick, as there is everywhere. The street harassment is certainly not remotely close to the harassment women get in mainland Europe but it does exist. I have many friends from other parts of the world living here and it certainly does seem to be an issue especially for younger women.

As I said women experience sexual harassment here as they do in most cities they travel. My experience is that it is not a significant issue and certainly should not deter you from moving to our wonderful city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Tefral wrote: »
    OP, if you knew Limerick, any fella would be crazy to try attack a girl in Limerick. Most of the women living here would kick the head off anyone that tried attacking them!

All joking aside though, honestly, this isn't a thing. Limerick is no more dangerous than another city.

For example according to the CSO in last quarter 2017 there was 32 reported crimes under the heading sexual offences in Limerick. There was 55 in Cork, over 250 in Dublin and 25 in Galway.

You can check it yourself here https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=cjq03

I really don't want to add more wood to the fire but absolute figures are very misleading and when you compare things you have to compare like with like. Using relative numbers and percentages helps to get a better picture.

These are the population figures I could find in a quick search in Internet along with the reported offences above and respective percentages:

Dublin Population 1,173,179 Crime 250 Percentage 0.0213%
    Cork Poppulation 208,669 Crime 55 Percentage 0.0264%
    Limerick Population 94,192 Crime 32 Percentage 0.0340%
    Galway Population 79,934 Crime 25 Percentage 0.0313%

So either something is wrong with figures above or there is a huge discrepancy between Dublin and Limerick when you take into account total population numbers. From the percentage point of view and considering population numbers Limerick has always had a huge problem with crime. It has certainly improved in recent years and the girl looks like it's trying to get attention (without having checked her feed in detail I cannot be sure) but the numbers and the figures do not exactly paint a beautiful picture for Limerick.

I'm open to proper debate, but the reality is that Limerick had had major crime issues and still has them when you compare them with other parts of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I know of one sexual assault on the river path. It was at the lower end of the scale. A group of young teenagers grabbed a girl who was cycling along. She told them to **** off and that was the end of it. It's probably no more than some idiots looking for a reaction but it's very serious nonetheless. Nobody should think they have the right to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

tanit wrote: »
    I really don't want to add more wood to the fire but absolute figures are very misleading and when you compare things you have to compare like with like. Using relative numbers and percentages helps to get a better picture.

These are the population figures I could find in a quick search in Internet along with the reported offences above and respective percentages:

Dublin Population 1,173,179 Crime 250 Percentage 0.0213%
    Cork Poppulation 208,669 Crime 55 Percentage 0.0264%
    Limerick Population 94,192 Crime 32 Percentage 0.0340%
    Galway Population 79,934 Crime 25 Percentage 0.0313%

So either something is wrong with figures above or there is a huge discrepancy between Dublin and Limerick when you take into account total population numbers. From the percentage point of view and considering population numbers Limerick has always had a huge problem with crime. It has certainly improved in recent years and the girl looks like it's trying to get attention (without having checked her feed in detail I cannot be sure) but the numbers and the figures do not exactly paint a beautiful picture for Limerick.

I'm open to proper debate, but the reality is that Limerick had had major crime issues and still has them when you compare them with other parts of the country

Didn't the CSO stop taking garda input as it was too unreliable.

Didn't the CSO stop taking garda input as it was too unreliable.

The statics come from here https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=cjq03 so someone is reporting them and very recently, last figures are from 2017 last quarter of the year. Reporting exists and the CSO considers them reliable enough to continue using them.

Just wondering why the garda would provide unreliable information about crimes in Ireland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The statics come from here https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Statire/SelectVarVal/Define.asp?maintable=cjq03 so someone is reporting them and very recently, last figures are from 2017 last quarter of the year. Reporting exists and the CSO considers them reliable enough to continue using them.

Just wondering why the garda would provide unreliable information about crimes in Ireland?

That link has a big red banner with the following:-

Statistics Under Reservation

These statistics are categorised as Under Reservation. This categorisation indicates that the quality of these statistics do not meet the standards required of official statistics published by CSO.

Surely you noticed that?

That link has a big red banner with the following:-

Statistics Under Reservation

These statistics are categorised as Under Reservation. This categorisation indicates that the quality of these statistics do not meet the standards required of official statistics published by CSO.

Surely you noticed that?

A government body wouldn't publish something that they think it's wildly wrong. Otherwise they would be spreading rumours. They have to be sufficiently good for them to publish
    I honestly don't know about the standards the CSO have but if they are publishing them they have to be very close to those standards it makes no sense they are publishing something that is very far away from reality.

It would be very worrying to actually know that they are actually publishing something that is very far away from reality. Are they trying to distort public perception of certain parts of Ireland? Some kind of regional discrimination?

Now the second question is why the reporting does not meet the standards for the CSO. Are the garda not providing that information? Is the information they provide incomplete? Why the CSO cannot find adequate information in Ireland regarding these issues that complies with their strict guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

A government body wouldn't publish something that they think it's wildly wrong. Otherwise they would be spreading rumours. They have to be sufficiently good for them to publish
    I honestly don't know about the standards the CSO have but if they are publishing them they have to be very close to those standards it makes no sense they are publishing something that is very far away from reality.

It would be very worrying to actually know that they are actually publishing something that is very far away from reality. Are they trying to distort public perception of certain parts of Ireland? Some kind of regional discrimination?

Now the second question is why the reporting does not meet the standards for the CSO. Are the garda not providing that information? Is the information they provide incomplete? Why the CSO cannot find adequate information in Ireland regarding these issues that complies with their strict guidelines?

Well if they've a big banner stating that the deem the statistics not to be 100% reliable, then obviously they do publish things that could be wildly wrong.

And here is one of the many easily googled articles about the CSO not trusting Garda crime statistics. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cso-postpones-publishing-garda-crime-data-again-1.3213448

Advertisement