Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home bakery advice

Options
  • 04-06-2018 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

My wife has just started a small bakery business out of our own kitchen. She is Brazilian and had quite a successful cake/confectionary and cake decorating business there (very large social media following). We would like to speak with any restaurants or cafes who might like to partner in some capacity (daily confectionary requirements, kitchen space & storage rental to us etc). Any advice on how to advertise for this would be appreciated. I can always hit the pavement but an online resources would really help!

I saw the partnership sticky, is posting on Adverts.ie (jobs wanted?!) the best way to reach potential restaurant partners?

Thanks,
    Bubba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

bubba gump wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife has just started a small bakery business out of our own kitchen. She is Brazilian and had quite a successful cake/confectionary and cake decorating business there (very large social media following). We would like to speak with any restaurants or cafes who might like to partner in some capacity (daily confectionary requirements, kitchen space & storage rental to us etc). Any advice on how to advertise for this would be appreciated. I can always hit the pavement but an online resources would really help!

I saw the partnership sticky, is posting on Adverts.ie (jobs wanted?!) the best way to reach potential restaurant partners?

Thanks,
    Bubba

duploelabs, the poster on here would be an excellent starting point to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

You're going to have a nightmare with the health and safety crowd, a lady used to bake scones for us a few years back, and the health inspectors found out. They wanted separate ovens (she was using her own kitchen, so she would have been cooking her family meals in the same oven which is unaccepatable apparently), and separate sinks (one for hands, one for utensils, and one for something else). They also wanted all the surfaces in her kitchen to be "washable" and they didn't consider painted walls to be "washable"

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Rulmeq wrote: »
    You're going to have a nightmare with the health and safety crowd, a lady used to bake scones for us a few years back, and the health inspectors found out. They wanted separate ovens (she was using her own kitchen, so she would have been cooking her family meals in the same oven which is unaccepatable apparently), and separate sinks (one for hands, one for utensils, and one for something else). They also wanted all the surfaces in her kitchen to be "washable" and they didn't consider painted walls to be "washable"

..and separate fridge/storage I believe? There's a certificate you have to get if you wish to sell at business scale I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Bubba
    Hey Bubba,

I'm already seeing some poor anecdotal 2nd hand advice being given out here. Please PM me your questions and we can take it from there.

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bubba gump

Thanks for all the replys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Changes were made and new less onerous rules were created for smaller & artisan producers.

https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business/home_business_food_stall.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

The best way to reach restaurant partners is probably speaking directly to the restaurants in your area.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Changes were made and new less onerous rules were created for smaller & artisan producers.

https://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/starting_business/home_business_food_stall.html

Very good to know, my anecdote was from the late 90s. I wouldn't mind but the same health inspector used to ignore the local chipper (and all the filth in the place)

So you'd an unlicensed producer supplying you, you do realise you'd invalidate your insurance should anything bad happen right?

duploelabs wrote: »
    So you'd an unlicensed producer supplying you, you do realise you'd invalidate your insurance should anything bad happen right?

Yeah, this was back in the 90s when health and safety was novel :P

• Advertisement

Yeah, this was back in the 90s when health and safety was novel :P

Cowboy antics imo

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Hi all,

Thanks,
    Bubba

Where in the country are you?

Advertisement