Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with plant id

Options
  • 04-06-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi
    Can anyone help me with the Id of this. It’s growing from the base of the original tree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks like a sucker of whatever the original root stock of the tree was. Cut it off neatly with a sharp blade close to the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

It looks like a type of cotoneaster tree I have in the garden and I guess this might be the root stock producing the sucker. It would take energy away from the tree that has been grafted onto it so cutting it off does sound like the best way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

At a guess the "Tree" cotoneaster, Cotoneaster 'Cornubia'. Leaves are the right shape (although seem a little smaller than I'd have expected) and it often has that slightly red hue to the new leaves.

Advertisement