Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to cancel your sky sports?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

They don't detail what it means really.

It could mean it just moves to eurosport rather than sky and you pay a similar subscription.

Hopefully they don't do the boneheaded thing the ATP Tennis tour have done and have all their tournaments only available to watch on the internet,

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

this is 4 years away...Won't be cancelling just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

poteen wrote: »
    this is 4 years away...Won't be cancelling just yet.

"The unprecedented 12-year relationship, to begin in 2019 and carry through 2030"
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

GreeBo wrote: »
    "The unprecedented 12-year relationship, to begin in 2019 and carry through 2030"
    ?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/04/us-pga-tour-deal-marginalises-sky-sports-discovery?CMP=share_btn_tw

Sky's contract runs until 2022 so not much can change between now and then. It also doesn't mean that Sky won't have it post 2022. They may buy a license off Discovery for UK/Ireland.

It will be interesting to see if they get/maintain all 4 majors between now and then tho.

It looks like Skys business model is no longer working. It's been said for a while now but if one of the big guns Google/Apple etc. move into sport, specifically the premier league, its game over for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

Sky’s business model is working pretty well, that’s why they have bidders offering 22 Billion in takeover talks, it’s just that sports rights markets are always very up and down, there is no straight line index...
    It’s the same as all other major sports(for Sky), football, tennis, cricket, F1, Rugby....there’s been major upheaval in all those markets over the last decade or so including from some of the big guns but Sky is still there and still no.1 and in terms of European sport they continue to be the top gunner, no matter who comes into the market Sky will still be around for a long long time, there is enough chunks of sport around for them all to do well enough

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jun/04/us-pga-tour-deal-marginalises-sky-sports-discovery?CMP=share_btn_tw

Sky's contract runs until 2022 so not much can change between now and then. It also doesn't mean that Sky won't have it post 2022. They may buy a license off Discovery for UK/Ireland.

Well what can change is that we all cancel sky and get our golf from Discover from 2019!
    Which was kinda the point of the thread tbh!

Well what can change is that we all cancel sky and get our golf from Discover from 2019!
    Which was kinda the point of the thread tbh!

You can't get your golf from Discovery if you're in the UK or Ireland from 2019. Sky retain exclusive rights until 2022. Its unclear who will have the license from that point on. Nothing will change here until then. At that point, either Discovery will broadcast it themselves through Eurosport or sell the license to Sky/BT etc. to cover the events.

bren2001 wrote: »
    You can't get your golf from Discovery if you're in the UK or Ireland from 2019. Sky retain exclusive rights until 2022. Its unclear who will have the license from that point on. Nothing will change here until then. At that point, either Discovery will broadcast it themselves through Eurosport or sell the license to Sky/BT etc. to cover the events.

I'd suspect Discovery will have a streaming service that one could avail of.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I'd suspect Discovery will have a streaming service that one could avail of.

They wont be able to offer a streaming service either while Sky has rights. Sure F1 cant even stream their own races live on their app here in Ireland as Sky have the rights.

Wanton wrote: »
    They wont be able to offer a streaming service either while Sky has rights. Sure F1 cant even stream their own races live on their app here in Ireland as Sky have the rights.

I think GreeBo is suggesting residing in another country while golf tournaments are on to avail of their service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/discovery-and-pga-tour-to-create-first-of-its-kind-international-golf-service/

Discovery’s page explains it a bit better regarding when rights of each country are coming onto their platform

Date Markets
    2019 Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Spain
    2020 Poland, South Korea
    2021 Belgium, China, Germany, South Africa
    2022 Denmark, Finland, India, Norway, Sweden, UK
    2024 France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭franglan

Interesting times. I’m on all for it. Currently I have sky sports but also pay for the American football NFL Gamepass which is E160 a year to follow my team on top of that. Happy enough just to pay directly to the sport organization to get a direct fed of their sport than giving sky money for sports I’ve no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Golf is the only sport I really watch regularly. Apart from some big events like world cups, Olympics and some of the big finals in football. I'd gladly pay a sub to watch golf. I hope discovery allow that option though and don't make you sign up for a whole package of channels.

Advertisement