Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed ID

Options
  • 04-06-2018 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anybody can identify the following:

20180529_171355_zpssle1umgd.jpg

20180529_171345_zpsxv5tw7if.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Isn't that nice - a small piece of Japan in your own garden!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, it is the dreaded JK.

See photos near the end of this link:

https://www.phlorum.com/services/japanese-knotweed/domestic-knotweed-removal/knotweed-identification/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

looks like bindweed to me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does bindweed not have a more arrowhead shaped leaf?
    and the stems are red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No not bindweed, I am pretty sure its JK too. Can't see the stems, but if they have a zig-zag way of growing that would confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Japanese Knotweed for me too.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Looks like Japanese knotweed to me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Thanks guys, I thought it might be, but didn't want to influence the replies in any way.

Good news is that it's not in my back garden. Bad news is that it's all over a part of the Dodder (in little bits, but on both sides of the river).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Achasanai wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I thought it might be, but didn't want to influence the replies in any way.

Good news is that it's not in my back garden. Bad news is that it's all over a part of the Dodder (in little bits, but on both sides of the river).

Probably grown from bits washed down from further up stream. You often notice that all those new plants are growing along the line of the high water from a flood.

The dam thing will even wash out to sea and wash back up on the beach and root creating new plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

my3cents wrote: »
    Probably grown from bits washed down from further up stream. You often notice that all those new plants are growing along the line of the high water from a flood.

The dam thing will even wash out to sea and wash back up on the beach and root creating new plants.

That seems to be exactly what has happened. I noticed the water mark during the last heavy downpour (much higher than I thought was possible) and this lot is growing right at that point.

I'm guessing there's no point in reporting it? I tried reporting a much more advanced growth on the northside previously and nothing was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Achasanai wrote: »

I'm guessing there's no point in reporting it? I tried reporting a much more advanced growth on the northside previously and nothing was done.

Northside would be Dublin City Council who are more interested in stunts like flying Palestinian flags from City Hall than in dealing with trivia like knotweed.

But JK on the banks of the Dodder could well be in the South Dublin Council area which might be more responsive to a knotweed alert - so probably worth a call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement