Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf membership

Options
  • 04-06-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help recommending a reasonably priced golf club which plays well. I live in south Dublin I'm also new to the game(playing over a year) looking for a course in Dublin which has a flexible payment plan in place also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Where in South Dublin are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pad mac

@downthemiddle I'm based in walkinstown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pad mac wrote: »
    @downthemiddle I'm based in walkinstown

Grange Castle is only a 15 minute spin. You can play a few rounds there for reasonable money before deciding on membership. Well run club, course kept in good condition with very good greens. Additional 7 holes there also with pitching area/driving range attached. Check it out and see what you think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help recommending a reasonably priced golf club which plays well. I live in south Dublin I'm also new to the game(playing over a year) looking for a course in Dublin which has a flexible payment plan in place also.

Can you give a bit more info to frame your questions?

What do you mean by "reasonably priced"? whats your target/range in terms of budget? How far are you willing to travel? What age are you (as some courses may offer deals for under 30s, under 40s, over 60s, etc...

Hi,

I'm 34,
    Anything under a thousand with a payment plan in place,
    I would be willing to travel Southside of Dublin & Northside, however I have played Corballis and Hollywood lakes in the past and these would be too far for me to travel. I've been playing regular the last few Months all different courses and another reason for joining a club would be to take the financial strain of myself, as I would also be using the driving range in the Spawell at a cost of 10 euro each time plus my green fees up to twice a week.

• Advertisement

OK, that gives a bit more of a frame of reference. Pretty sure that all of the below offer payment plans. Also, the numbers I'm mentioning below are probably not inclusive of GUI member fee & Golf Insurance, or any levies that might be applied

As mentioned before, Grange Castle would fit into that price range & they have a few different options re membership. They do an all in members fee, as well as a pay & play members option which could be reasonable value if you won't play that regularly. Think their full membership is around €700 & 7-day pay & play around €250 (not sure what they charge you per round)

Citywest Golf Club would be comparable to Grange Castle on price. Around €750 for full membership, around €300 for 7-day Pay & Play (again not sure on the per round price)

I'm a member of Castlewarden myself. It's maybe an extra 5 minutes out the n7 than Grange Castle. They do an under-40s lifestyle membership for €695 (the full sub is €1,055, once you're over 40). There is a driving range on-site, as well as a chipping green & putting green. They're planning to put in a practice bunker next year. The driving range is not covered at the moment, so not much help if its pouring rain. They have a couple of different offers on it. You can just get tokens, or, I think you can also get an annual membership for the range. So, it could save you a bit relative to your Spawell range use

OK, that gives a bit more of a frame of reference. Pretty sure that all of the below offer payment plans. Also, the numbers I'm mentioning below are probably not inclusive of GUI member fee & Golf Insurance, or any levies that might be applied

As mentioned before, Grange Castle would fit into that price range & they have a few different options re membership. They do an all in members fee, as well as a pay & play members option which could be reasonable value if you won't play that regularly. Think their full membership is around €700 & 7-day pay & play around €250 (not sure what they charge you per round)

Citywest Golf Club would be comparable to Grange Castle on price. Around €750 for full membership, around €300 for 7-day Pay & Play (again not sure on the per round price)

I'm a member of Castlewarden myself. It's maybe an extra 5 minutes out the n7 than Grange Castle. They do an under-40s lifestyle membership for €695 (the full sub is €1,055, once you're over 40). There is a driving range on-site, as well as a chipping green & putting green. They're planning to put in a practice bunker next year. The driving range is not covered at the moment, so not much help if its pouring rain. They have a couple of different offers on it. You can just get tokens, or, I think you can also get an annual membership for the range. So, it could save you a bit relative to your Spawell range use
    Thanks for getting back to me on this ,
    The prices are very reasonable to be fair. I have played Castlewarden before (years ago) and it was very enjoyable, with also those extras of Driving range and practice greens I think I should really consider joining, I will give them a call and get as much information as possible.

The prices are very reasonable to be fair. I have played Castlewarden before (years ago) and it was very enjoyable, with also those extras of Driving range and practice greens I think I should really consider joining, I will give them a call and get as much information as possible.

Its worth having a chat alright. I'm going to be slightly biased, in that its my home club, but there is a good atmosphere in the place & they've put a lot of work into the place in the last 3-5 years, cutting away a number of trees (on advice from a combination of feedback from Pros taking part in the pro-am there, and an architect they brought in to review the course, and have invested pretty heavily in improving the bunkers)

Just to be aware too, on top of the fees you're paying, all of the clubs will charge you a competition fee. So even if you're not being charged a green fee, there will be a charge to enter the comps.

If you do join, and are in need of someone to sign a card for you for handicap purposes, I'd be happy to oblige, if the timing works, but it won't be a problem getting someone out with you either way. Brian, the pro, looks after people well.

If it doesn't suit you, and you were looking at either Citywest or Grange Castle, I would lean towards Grange Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

I recently joined Grange Castle on the Pay and Play, €325 for the year. You get discount on green fee's and for the weekend competitions you just enter as regular member and just pay the €3 entry fee. Also when I went into join after playing 18 holes the first time they discounted my green fee from the annual fee. Course is busy on weekends but it is always in great nic and great value for money.

Its worth having a chat alright. I'm going to be slightly biased, in that its my home club, but there is a good atmosphere in the place & they've put a lot of work into the place in the last 3-5 years, cutting away a number of trees (on advice from a combination of feedback from Pros taking part in the pro-am there, and an architect they brought in to review the course, and have invested pretty heavily in improving the bunkers)

Just to be aware too, on top of the fees you're paying, all of the clubs will charge you a competition fee. So even if you're not being charged a green fee, there will be a charge to enter the comps.

If you do join, and are in need of someone to sign a card for you for handicap purposes, I'd be happy to oblige, if the timing works, but it won't be a problem getting someone out with you either way. Brian, the pro, looks after people well.

If it doesn't suit you, and you were looking at either Citywest or Grange Castle, I would lean towards Grange Castle.
    Thank you appreciate all your info and hopefully if I do become a member you will be available for a game :)

• Advertisement

I recently joined Grange Castle on the Pay and Play, €325 for the year. You get discount on green fee's and for the weekend competitions you just enter as regular member and just pay the €3 entry fee. Also when I went into join after playing 18 holes the first time they discounted my green fee from the annual fee. Course is busy on weekends but it is always in great nic and great value for money.
    Thank you I will also get in contact with Grange castle as it's been recommended already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thank you appreciate all your info and hopefully if I do become a member you will be available for a game :)

I'm sure Space would oblige, he was a great help when I joined Grange Castle many years ago.

I've played Castlewarden an awful lot and I would snap up membership at that u40 rate. Always a welcome feel about the place, members, pro etc. Very good facilities and a course that is ideal for Club golf imo.

Just an update on castlewarden, they have no space for the younger membership, they do have another option of full membership for 700 until the end of year with an extra 200 for a years driving range membership. Very nice guy I was speaking to earlier and I'm going up to play there this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Just an update on castlewarden, they have no space for the younger membership, they do have another option of full membership for 700 until the end of year with an extra 200 for a years driving range membership. Very nice guy I was speaking to earlier and I'm going up to play there this Friday.

Hi Pad Mac,

I'd be very interested to hear what you ended up doing? I'm looking to get back playing golf afters a few years away and also live in Walkinstown. I've been looking at Grange Castle and Beech Park. Castlewarden did not come into my thinking but having had a look on their website and the comments here it's sounds interesting also. Does anybody have any idea of membership costs in Castlewarden or if they are indeed taking members into 2019?

Any other advice would be most welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 James Ford

SUNGSAM wrote: »
    Hi Pad Mac,

I'd be very interested to hear what you ended up doing? I'm looking to get back playing golf afters a few years away and also live in Walkinstown. I've been looking at Grange Castle and Beech Park. Castlewarden did not come into my thinking but having had a look on their website and the comments here it's sounds interesting also. Does anybody have any idea of membership costs in Castlewarden or if they are indeed taking members into 2019?

I'm in the same boat. Living near Lucan and have been a casual golfer for a few years (10ish rounds a year) but looking to join somewhere for next year. Have looked at both Castlewarden and Killeen's intermediate membership.

SUNGSAM wrote: »
    Hi Pad Mac,

I posted a couple of times on the first page of this thread in relation to Castlewarden. I haven't heard mention of any changes to fees for 2019 as yet, so the numbers should still hold true.

They are definitely open for new membership though for the likes of the under 40 lifestyle package there is generally a waiting list & limited numbers allowed.

Let me know if you need more info

Advertisement