Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options
  • 04-06-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I have experienced a lot of this over the last few months as I have been travelling more with work and you get to dread certain passengers being near you. Top irritants for me:

1. People who allow their kids to bang heavily on the touch screen of the in flight entertainment screen despite this clearly annoying the person sitting in front. Ive witnessed this and had it happen to me a few times where a parent could be telling the kid to press all the different buttons and completely oblivious to the fact that they are hammering it way too hard and p!ssing off the person in front.

2. People who barge past you as you are boarding when you stop just for a second to put something in overhead bin. And I don't mean holding up the queue, I mean briefly stopping for a moment only to have someone rudely push you. You aren't going anywhere soon, so what's the bloody hurry?

3. People who recline on my lap for 8 hours, Pure and utter ignorance and very inconsiderate to push into my personal space for that long. I would never do that.

4. Passengers who ask for a menu on long haul flights....its Aer Lingus not Gordon Ramsay!

5. People who have the headphones on at full volume and oblivious to those around them.

Obese people sitting next to you- its a complete hot potato and most airliners are just too scared to upset the obese person for fear of lawsuits and bad publicity etc. Ive seen one guy who had to be about 30 stone and he needed an extension seat belt but he was literally sitting on the poor woman next to him not a bother, Really, they should have to pay for two seats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

People who use my seat to drag themselves up when getting up. Usually just as I nod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

lion_bar wrote: »
    People who use my seat to drag themselves up when getting up. Usually just as I nod off.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

As the title says, I have experienced a lot of this over the last few months as I have been travelling more with work and you get to dread certain passengers being near you. Top irritants

3. People who recline on my lap for 8 hours, Pure and utter ignorance and very inconsiderate to push into my personal space for that long. I would never do that.

Never agreed with this argument. Once the seat is reclined slowly ,what's the problem? During meals you take it forward. The function is there in the seat so.why is it ignorance to use it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

Absolutely on 1,2 and 3. Never heard of number 4 but take your word for it! For me reclining seats should be banned on all flights until airlines gives us decent leg room

Number 5 hits close to home for me as a confirmed fat sod. Maybe not 30 stone but not a slim chap. I am bloody paranoid about bothering other passengers and will always take an aisle seat so I can lean as far into the aisle as I can. Also sit with my arms crossed as much as I can to make myself as small as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

People who sit by the window, and insist of getting out of their seat TWICE, during a 60-90min flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Bare feet.
    Drunks.
    Smelly people.
    People who appear to have never heard about 100ml rules/no bags on exit row/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

For aviation workers I'd imagine it's drunk people. Or 'that person" that gets up and starts packing away when the plane's still taxiing.

And for you on-flight staff, thanks for your patience when it comes to kids on flights. Have a few photos of my young fella sitting in the Captains seat proud as punch with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

poteen wrote: »
    Never agreed with this argument. Once the seat is reclined slowly ,what's the problem? During meals you take it forward. The function is there in the seat so.why is it ignorance to use it ?

Its more that if I sit in a standard seat if the person in front of me reclines then is slams into my knees. If I stretch my legs out I can never put my knees back up. But then as a larger gent I normally pay extra for an exit/ extra legroom seat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Because its right in your space and it significantly affects your enjoyment and comfort. Meal times are only a fraction of a flight. When its reclined you have to adjust the tv screen so that its practically down on the floor. Its an inconsiderate thing to do to someone and personally I would never do it.

Because its right in your space and it significantly affects your enjoyment and comfort. Meal times are only a fraction of a flight. When its reclined you have to adjust the tv screen so that its practically down on the floor. Its an inconsiderate thing to do to someone and personally I would never do it.

I don’t agree with that. If a seat reclines, a person is entitled to recline it (except during meal times). The airlines are to blame for the lack of legroom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As the title says, I have experienced a lot of this over the last few months as I have been travelling more with work and you get to dread certain passengers being near you. Top irritants for me:

1. People who allow their kids to bang heavily on the touch screen of the in flight entertainment screen despite this clearly annoying the person sitting in front. Ive witnessed this and had it happen to me a few times where a parent could be telling the kid to press all the different buttons and completely oblivious to the fact that they are hammering it way too hard and p!ssing off the person in front.

2. People who barge past you as you are boarding when you stop just for a second to put something in overhead bin. And I don't mean holding up the queue, I mean briefly stopping for a moment only to have someone rudely push you. You aren't going anywhere soon, so what's the bloody hurry?

4. Passengers who ask for a menu on long haul flights....its Aer Lingus not Gordon Ramsay!

5. People who have the headphones on at full volume and oblivious to those around them.

Obese people sitting next to you- its a complete hot potato and most airliners are just too scared to upset the obese person for fear of lawsuits and bad publicity etc. Ive seen one guy who had to be about 30 stone and he needed an extension seat belt but he was literally sitting on the poor woman next to him not a bother, Really, they should have to pay for two seats.

I’m going to play Devil’s advocate for a moment as I too am a frequent long haul flyer

1. Not sure what “bang heavily” means but until you have had to travel with kids of your own you’ll never cut slack to anyone with kids. No one does.

2. Agreed.

3. While it’s a nuisance, it’s totally permitted. It’s possible the person in front of them reclined their seat so reclining was the only option to give extra space.

4. Some long haul economy airlines have menus. E.G. Emirates.

5. The cabin is so noisy from the engines/air con I’ve never noticed this. Best investment anyway I’ve ever made is decent noise cancelling headphones. (Bose ftw!)

If all else fails, book two seats or fly business. ;):p

I don’t agree with that. If a seat reclines, a person is entitled to recline it (except during meal times). The airlines are to blame for the lack of legroom.

I think its rude for someone to impose on someone elses comfort for such a long flight purely for their own comfort. It being an option to recline doesn't change my view.

squonkie wrote: »
    Absolutely on 1,2 and 3. Never heard of number 4 but take your word for it! For me reclining seats should be banned on all flights until airlines gives us decent leg room

Number 5 hits close to home for me as a confirmed fat sod. Maybe not 30 stone but not a slim chap. I am bloody paranoid about bothering other passengers and will always take an aisle seat so I can lean as far into the aisle as I can. Also sit with my arms crossed as much as I can to make myself as small as possible.

Jaysus, you shouldn't have to do that. Seasoned fliers are aware it's a plane and will accept the fact that they're sitting beside someone. If someone's bigger than me, they get the elbow rest.

Some people on flights think they're at the opera in a tranquil Michelin star restaurant. They're not. They're on a bus with wings most of the time. Fly business class and if you can't afford it, if you can't you're going to have to accept there's big people, small people. Including kids.

I have no issue with kids on a plane I must admit; I’ve been that soldier and it’s not easy. Parents deserve some slack. Just stick some noise cancelling headphones on and Bob’s your uncle; or travel Business Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

No 3. While i dont enjoy it i dont get mad over it.
    They are not invading your space. Their seat moves into that space. So they are using space thats allocated to them. If you think the seat is too close then recline your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

I love the not so touch sensitive touch screen games on the Virgin planes, especially when the lad behind is hammering the screen for all he's worth. Turned out it was a bowling game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Travel a lot for work and found a few things that work:

1) Book front of emergency middle rows - no one can kick that seat. No kids allowed.
    2) Book business - even if it means paying out of your own pocket. I regualrly bid to upgrade with EI out of my own pocket for TA flights.
    3) Ask at the desk or in the lounge for a seat away from everyone else. I regularly get given row near the back with other two seats blocked. Worth the extra disembarking time for the sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

people who spend about 3 minutes putting luggage into over head lockers and completely oblivious to the fact that the are taking up the complete aisle and holding up half the passengers on the plane.

its fairly easy to move in out of the way and let others pass while still putting your luggage up.

I have no issue with kids on a plane I must admit; I’ve been that soldier and it’s not easy. Parents deserve some slack. Just stick some noise cancelling headphones on and Bob’s your uncle; or travel Business Class.

Yeah, I'm with you, I've never had issues with kids on planes. Before I had kids I was a frequent flyer, short and long haul and I've been beside the kids that's ears are uncomfortably popping and been beside the ones that you can chat to. I take a Southern European approach towards kids in restaurants, plazas, planes etc... and engage with them or ignore them and let them carry on.

I have my own kids now and I'm very very aware of other passengers and ensure they're behaviour is perfect on the plane, but you're always going to get comments. One I had from a fellow tourist was "she shouldn't be on the plane till she can afford the ticket herself" She was asleep for the whole flight with not a peep out of her!!!! But this fella had to have his say.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Sure, everyone is aware of the drill at this stage but show a little bit of respect and keep quiet when staff are running through safety procedures and what not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

People who jump up as soon as the plane stops and remain standing crouched over on the window seat until the ailse clears.

People who stand in queue for a flight. Bizaar behaviour. There is a seat there for you. The plane will not go without you.

Special shoutout to the lady who decided painting her toenails on a flight was appropriate. The smell.......

sacamano wrote: »
    Sure, everyone is aware of the drill at this stage but show a little bit of respect and keep quiet when staff are running through safety procedures and what not.

An outdated procedure to be doing this manually in my view-stick the procedure up on the screen for 5 minutes and interrupt the IFE, much more efficient.

An outdated procedure to be doing this manually in my view-stick the procedure up on the screen for 5 minutes and interrupt the IFE, much more efficient.

The Australian flight staff are very keen to stop the demo and tell anyone not listening to take the earphones off and buck up!! Amusing for everyone else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    People who stand in queue for a flight. Bizaar behaviour. There is a seat there for you. The plane will not go without you.

It’s not the case for everyone but sometimes people need to be able to put their hand luggage above them (delicate items, for example) so they just want to make sure it doesn’t have to go into the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

No issue with kids on aircraft. Some years ago, while taxying prior to takeoff from Lanzarote, my then 14 month old daughter screamed her lungs out. I actually smiled at the time because the couple in front of us were downright unfriendly during the 2 weeks whenever we encountered them around the apartment complex. As soon as the aircraft lifted, she fell asleep in my arms for the next 4 hrs. Also, when you board, you're in row 6 for example, there's nobody sitting down but the overhead locker is full. Does my head in. People who stand up & start fiddling with their carry on bags as soon as the aircraft has landed & taxying to stand.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    People who jump up as soon as the plane stops and remain standing crouched over on the window seat until the aisle clears.

I would cut people some slack on both fronts.

Sometime’s people are in a rush and need to get out into the aisle quickly.

Similarly, the issue with queuing to board revolves around ensuring that you find space for your carry-on bag, thus ensuring that you can disembark on time and make a connection / catch a train etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Things to make air travel more palatable...
    Fat seats with inertia reel belts for fat passengers with inertia lifestyles...
    In flight entertainment... A book... (the papery thing that baldrick threw on the fire! )...
    All baggage in the hold, only a small satchel or clutch on board...
    No tilting seats, ever again...
    Mandatory toilet usage before flights and a cost of 10 euro to use the latrine... (under 2 hour flights)...
    'family areas', seating for parents and children (with face painting, clowns, bouncy seats and an 'all you can eat' ice cream dispenser)...
    No food carts, byob and sandwiches...
    No roller blades, light sabres, selfie sticks or life sized cardboard cutouts of Ed Sheeran...
    So, with that in mind, "jobs a good-un"...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

People with carry-on luggage that is just too big to squeeze in overhead bins, especially the "ladies" who look for help lifting it!! I just ignore them or if asked for help, tell them "you carried, it you load it!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Taking a dump on a short haul flight, empty your bowls please at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Not confined to kids, but to be fair, the responsiveness of the screens doesn’t help at all. Has made my journey less comfortable worrying about pressing too hard and annoying person in front while still trying to watch a movie or two.

Advertisement