Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No need to call my missus a 'wagon' even if she was the size of one at the time. She was a model of dignified silence and did not say a word or even complain for one second.

I was the one being the dickhead.

If you behaved like that to me I would have definitely complained to the staff . How dare you act like a complete jackass to another passenger without knowing her circumstances or difficulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its been a while since I flew to Tegel so it must have detiorated . The new airport is one disaster after another and 10 years behind schedule now !

It seems like Berlin badly needs a decent airport. I was surprised. It’s such a large city and you begin to believe all the tales of German efficiency. You expect an exemplary airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

_Dara_ wrote: »
    But she could have had a sore back? Sitting bolt upright can be excruciating if your back is bad. I’ve had excruciating back pain due to having cancer metastases in my spine and the idea of someone adding to my woes the way you describe doing here is making me break out in a cold sweat.

You acted like a jackass. And a spoiled brat. It wasn’t her fault the flight was packed.

Even if she had turned around at the start and explained that she had back issues and she very sorry and say, pushed it back half way. That would have been nice and civil and no issue whatsoever but it was her blatant silence and disregard with no attempt to even look at us.

Whether she has a bad back or not I don't know but the way she kept her head down I would have my doubts. If it was me and I had a bad back I would at least turned around and explained my situation. Well actually no I would not have put my seat back- I'd man up.

But oh no. Fully back for the entire journey. Bitch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, I think a bit of guidance is called for here, no one has been sanctioned or carded so far, but a number of posters are straying very close to going out of limits here.
    So, going forward, let's not have any more barbed comments about fat, or wagons, or the like. I could say a lot more, but whatever I say, someone will then find a reason to complain about it. It's clear that there are issues with seat pitch, reclining and the space allocated by the airlines to each passenger, but the unfortunate reality is that no matter what we say here, that's not going to change any time soon, so it's a case of suck it up, even if it doesn't taste very nice. You can complain about it, but that's as far as we can go, and if it degenerates again into a slagging match or starts going down the road of personal comments about other posters, that will result in sanctions.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Even if she had turned around at the start and explained that she had back issues and she very sorry and say, pushed it back half way. That would have been nice and civil and no issue whatsoever but it was her blatant silence and disregard with no attempt to even look at us.

Whether she has a bad back or not I don't know but the way she kept her head down I would have my doubts. If it was me and I had a bad back I would at least turned around and explained my situation. Well actually no I would not have put my seat back- I'd man up.

But oh no. Fully back for the entire journey. Bitch.

Maybe she didn’t want to discuss her health issues with you?

Maybe you were coming across belligerent and entitled right from the start, making her less amenable to making nice? Based on your description of your subsequent actions, that’s easy to imagine.

You could have booked an exit or front row seat for your wife+bump to give her plenty of room. Poor planning on your part.

Are you sure those other passengers were laughing with you? They might have been laughing at your ridiculous behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

So there are two adults, one of whom is pregnant, and a 4 year old sitting in three seats which don’t recline. Someone in front of them insists on reclining her seat.

Call me old fashioned, but I’d probably stick the 3 foot tall small child behind her...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

OK, I think a bit of guidance is called for here, no one has been sanctioned or carded so far, but a number of posters are straying very close to going out of limits here.
    So, going forward, let's not have any more barbed comments about fat, or wagons, or the like. I could say a lot more, but whatever I say, someone will then find a reason to complain about it. It's clear that there are issues with seat pitch, reclining and the space allocated by the airlines to each passenger, but the unfortunate reality is that no matter what we say here, that's not going to change any time soon, so it's a case of suck it up, even if it doesn't taste very nice. You can complain about it, but that's as far as we can go, and if it degenerates again into a slagging match or starts going down the road of personal comments about other posters, that will result in sanctions.

Apologies for the wagon line, I didn't think it would be too bad, so sorry.

Cheers for the clarification!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

So there are two adults, one of whom is pregnant, and a 4 year old sitting in three seats which don’t recline. Someone in front of them insists on reclining her seat.

Call me old fashioned, but I’d probably stick the 3 foot tall small child behind her...

Don't be coming here with your common sense and rationality! :D:D:D

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Maybe she didn’t want to discuss her health issues with you?

Maybe you were coming across belligerent and entitled right from the start, making her less amenable to making nice? Based on your description of your subsequent actions, that’s easy to imagine.

You could have booked an exit or front row seat for your wife+bump to give her plenty of room. Poor planning on your part.

Are you sure those other passengers were laughing with you? They might have been laughing at your ridiculous behaviour.

I am on here far too long to get into 'I'm am holier than thou' debate so I would refer you to my earlier posts. I can take all the self righteous tut tutting that you can throw out.

If you were the lady what would you have done? Honestly...

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    WTF? Isn't that pretty dangerous?

Hey remember that time we almost killed the unborn baby so we could enjoy a holiday? What... the...

Is your surname McCann?

Dramatic much? There is no 'almost killed the unborn baby'...Jesus

The only issue airlines have is that the later the term the increased chances of going into labour mid flight and the obvious ball ache that would cause.

I am not going to say anymore on the matter as I have made the situation clear which of course was going to illicit negative reaction which I understand plus I have inadvertently hijacked the thread- sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Dramatic much? There is no 'almost killed the unborn baby'...Jesus

The only issue airlines have is that the later the term the increased chances of going into labour mid flight and the obvious ball ache that would cause.

I am not going to say anymore on the matter as I have made the situation clear which of course was going to illicit negative reaction which I understand plus I have inadvertently hijacked the thread- sorry.

Relax, I was just joking. As if I'd take your made up story seriously anyway. :p

I am on here far too long to get into 'I'm am holier than thou' debate so I would refer you to my earlier posts. I can take all the self righteous tut tutting that you can throw out.

Well, the times in my life that I’ve experienced excruciating back pain, I could barely talk to other people. It overrode everything. All I could focus on was trying to mentally block out the pain. So talking to other people in public would have been difficult. I guess I wouldn’t have been on a plane then. But who knows why people are taking journeys?

So her lack of responsiveness doesn’t seem that strange to me and maybe she was a bit cowed by your attitude. Often when in pain, people’s defences are down.

You seem proud of yourself though which is your call, I guess. But I’ll note that you got nowhere with your behaviour so it seems a bit impotent in the end.

With my health problems, I’ve become more hermetic and a big part of it is wanting to avoid confrontations with other members of the public who will be less than sympathetic towards my significant limitations. What you’ve described is my worst nightmare.

What the lady does or doesn't do is none of your business . You had a small child who could have sat behind the reclined seat . You in the middle and your wife in the aisle seat where she could lean on you and you take her weight
    . But oh No , instead you show a four year old how to be rude and obnoxious instead of using your brain and sorting your family

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I'm not sure if you are serious or not...:o

But yeah the sight of her with her chair back nice and snug and having a nap while knowingly cramping a pregnant women behind was like red rag to a bull. She knew it and did not give a ****.

I fully accept that she was perfectly entitled to put her seat back and it was not her problem who was behind her but Jesus who would do it.

Would anyone else her keep their seat back in the circumstances?

And I don't regret it for one second even if it makes me look like a right wanker. Other option was to stew on it and let it wind me up inside.

No, let me make it 100% clear- im dead serious and I think you were absolutely right. This is a huge bugbear of mine when someone decides to completely encroach on my space for a flight and decides that their comfort is much more important and that nobody in the surrounding area could possibly exist. Its all about manners at the end of the day and to do that to a pregnant woman was just low.

No doubt a lot of people will say you were over the top but you know what, its easy to say that from the keyboard- let them just sit there and say absolutely nothing whilst a selfish individual makes your pregnant wife very uncomfortable on a flight. Would they just sit there and remain logical and say nothing. Not a chance! Im sure you aren't a malicious person, but that situation rightly called for some comeback.

Yes, it’s easy to sit behind a keyboard and say it was childish, entitled behaviour... because it was. It’s not like none of us have found ourselves in confrontations with other people and are completely green. And from his description, it sounds like he achieved very little. I’d find that completely headwrecking if I was sitting near him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

One thing I love about Ryanair - no recline button. Long may it last for shorthaul .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Sitting in Row 10 last night. Landed in Dublin Airport, stuck outside the terminal for nearly 15 minutes because no marshall there to wave us in, and no steps either.

After waiting what seemed like an eternity (it was a long flight, but shít happens - not the pilot nor crew's fault), we're finally let go. The guy in Row 4 or 5 steps out into the aisle. Starts packing things into his hand luggage. Zips it up and moves towards the exit. Stops again, opens hand luggage and puts on his jacket. All while standing in the aisle, blocking anyone else from moving forward.

I purposely clipped his stupid sandal-wearing feet with my bag while walking past en route to baggage collection.

No, let me make it 100% clear- im dead serious and I think you were absolutely right. This is a huge bugbear of mine when someone decides to completely encroach on my space for a flight and decides that their comfort is much more important and that nobody in the surrounding area could possibly exist. Its all about manners at the end of the day and to do that to a pregnant woman was just low.

No doubt a lot of people will say you were over the top but you know what, its easy to say that from the keyboard- let them just sit there and say absolutely nothing whilst a selfish individual makes your pregnant wife very uncomfortable on a flight. Would they just sit there and remain logical and say nothing. Not a chance! Im sure you aren't a malicious person, but that situation rightly called for some comeback.
    No we would not just sit there we would swap places with wife and suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

trellheim wrote: »
    One thing I love about Ryanair - no recline button. Long may it last for shorthaul .
    Short haul is like riding a bus nowadays. Can you imagine the rows if you could recline your seat on Dublin Bus? :D

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I purposely clipped his stupid sandal-wearing feet with my bag while walking past en route to baggage collection.

Oh careful now. The key board warriors will have you for that. Maybe he had a medical affliction like OCD or a superstition where he had to act that way or nasty foot blister he needed to dry out.

You horrible nasty selfish passive aggressive person. You have no idea what that poor person may have been suffering in silence. You should have maintained a dignified silence. No in fact you should copied him in solidarity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

The guy in Row 4 or 5 steps out into the aisle. Starts packing things into his hand luggage. Zips it up and moves towards the exit. Stops again, opens hand luggage and puts on his jacket. All while standing in the aisle, blocking anyone else from moving forward.

Did you ask him to step in to pack up his bag and put on his jacket? Or just jump straight to clipping his ankles?

Oh careful now. The key board warriors will have you for that. Maybe he had a medical affliction like OCD or a superstition where he had to act that way or nasty foot blister he needed to dry out.

You horrible nasty selfish passive aggressive person. You have no idea what that poor person may have been suffering in silence. You should have maintained a dignified silence. No in fact you should copied him in solidarity.

Don’t be such a martyr. :D Own your shitty behaviour.

You say you don’t care what people think but posts like the above betray that sentiment.

You acted like a spoiled brat and elected to tell us all about it.

Oh dear , posters have hit a raw nerve when they criticised your obnoxious behavour then ? Seems you do care after all what people think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Sitting in Row 10 last night. Landed in Dublin Airport, stuck outside the terminal for nearly 15 minutes because no marshall there to wave us in, and no steps either.

After waiting what seemed like an eternity (it was a long flight, but shít happens - not the pilot nor crew's fault), we're finally let go. The guy in Row 4 or 5 steps out into the aisle. Starts packing things into his hand luggage. Zips it up and moves towards the exit. Stops again, opens hand luggage and puts on his jacket. All while standing in the aisle, blocking anyone else from moving forward.

He deserved it for wearing sandals!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh dear , posters have hit a raw nerve when they criticised your obnoxious behavour then ? Seems you do care after all what people think

Oh no I can do passive aggressive and sarcastic in equally fantastic measures..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My kid kicking the seat in front and when I tell her to stop she goes mad,very difficult to settle a tired cranky child on a flight.

On short hop flights, I hate it when people bring cases that are too big for the over head locker but will force the ****e out of it to fit and now there's no room for others.

Seat reclining button, it should be removed but the lean back angle should be a little more.

Old aircrafts that are in poor condition, example; ashtrays taped closed with silver foil tape. God only knows how safe these relics are.

People rushing to get off the plane even when the plane just stopped and it's still closed and not a sight of a staircase of tunnel.

Tracksuit brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phil.x wrote: »

Old aircrafts that are in poor condition, example; ashtrays taped closed with silver foil tape. God only knows how safe these relics are.

Interior condition is deceiving for age; and neither is that good an indication of mechanical safety. Delta has some bloody ancient A320s with brand new interiors down to modern sidewalls and bins - you may be able to tell from the toilets. United has brand new 737-900s with ancient looking cloth seats, no PTVs etc (because they have moved to power supply and wifi provision)
    Phil.x wrote: »

Tracksuit brigade.

You'd be horrified at me flying biz (paid) on KLM in a tracksuit then (as well as nearly every other time I travel for leisure). Its more practical for travel, I don't work in an industry that requires suits etc so I will never own linen trousers or whatever other light clothing people recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I also wear tracksuit bottoms and a polo t-shirt on long haul business class...it’s hardly a fashion parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Just as an interesting aside, the pressure changes during a flight increase the risk of premature labour. Hence the 32 week rule.

The sudden change in pressure can cause the membranes to rupture.

I've had women lose their babies over it.

I'd usually advise women never to fly whilst pregnant, because its not worth the risk. Then again, people don't understand risk.

I usually ask people if they'd let their toddler run across the road at night. Yeah, there's probably no cars around but you wouldn't take the risk, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

After waiting what seemed like an eternity (it was a long flight, but shít happens - not the pilot nor crew's fault), we're finally let go. The guy in Row 4 or 5 steps out into the aisle. Starts packing things into his hand luggage. Zips it up and moves towards the exit. Stops again, opens hand luggage and puts on his jacket. All while standing in the aisle, blocking anyone else from moving

The one that gets me is people who take one step off the plane onto an air bridge then stop to rearrange their luggage. It happens an awful lot.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement