Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you Ryanair for the non-reclining seats. Great job.

Peeves:
    Idiots who cannot tell the front from the back of the plane and hold everyone up as they push against the normals who can.

Those who cannot last twenty minutes without jumping up and down to get something out of their bag in the overhead locker.

Parents with screamy offspring who make absolutely no effort to calm/quieten them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not worth spending another €200. I still fit into the one seat - yes, with some serious struggle, but I fit. The rule is (although it's often ignored) that as long as you can get your armrest down, you don't need an extra seat.

Would you be buying an extra seat for being one centimeter short?

You should go for special assistance.
    It suits the airline if you are going to be a bit slower, or hold up boarding in anyway to get you on early and 'out of the way' so to speak.
    You don't need to necessarily have a disability, needing more time qualifies you.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

This isn't just for travelling on planes, guys (and it's always guys) that have to sit with their legs spread so far apart that their knees come into my area.

1: You don't have a ‘Porsche compensator’ large enough for this to be necessary. Really.
    2: If you're shorter than me (I'm 6ft) and I can manage to stay in my space then you can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I suppose reclining seats are acceptable on long haul. Attempted sleep is kind of the thing after the meal, whether you can or not (I never can).

It's really just the one+ hour trip to London or Paris or Spain, and that guy in front of you just flicks the seat back for no better reason than he can, is what annoys me. I try to use a laptop on short flights (often just to watch a movie) but you literally cannot keep a laptop open, when seats are reclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

I don’t agree with that. If a seat reclines, a person is entitled to recline it (except during meal times). The airlines are to blame for the lack of legroom.
    I think its rude for someone to impose on someone elses comfort for such a long flight purely for their own comfort. It being an option to recline doesn't change my view.
    plodder wrote: »
    One of the rare occasions when Ryanair's penny pinching creates a favourable outcome for passengers as well as saving money.
    Why all the hate for reclining seats?
    The function shouldn't be there. Not everyone has short enough legs to sit comfortably behind a reclining seat.
    plodder wrote: »

Ithat guy in front of you just flicks the seat back for no better reason than he can, is what annoys me. I try to use a laptop on short flights (often just to watch a movie) but you literally cannot keep a laptop open, when seats are reclined.

My Nr 1 pet peeve is definitely reclining seats. Really annoys me and I am short.
    Find it rude and an intrusion of my personal space. Why oh why do airlines provide this function though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

1: the state they leave the cabin in. It's not a mobile dump. Some people are apparently incapable of eating without depositing most of their snack/drink/meal all around them so that the food gets mashed into the carpet or we have to change the seat cushion cover or the seat back.
    2: please do not wipe chocolate/sauce/snot into the seat covers.
    3: please do not stick chewing gum into any suitable crevice, such as the magazine pocket or under the seat.
    4: please do not steal seat belts.
    5: please do not steal life jackets.
    6: please dispose of nappies and filled vomit bags correctly and not by (a) handing them to the cabin crew (b) dumping them under the seat (c) inserting them into the magazine pocket (d) casting them at random into overhead bins...just ask and the cabin crew will get a biohazard bag and dispose of them properly.
    7:please don't get angry if random engineers/loaders/pilots/cabin crew have no idea from which terminal your connecting flight is operating from/don't know what carousel your bag is on/where your oversize parcel has gone to. We are not infallible computers, we just work here...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

trellheim wrote: »
    this one is another bugbear

plane-feet.jpg

Whoops my tea spilt...

Got called to an Aircraft recently just before departure, the recline just stayed reclined...the crew said he was giving them a good bit of grief..way too late to change an actuator...locked it upright and stuck it in the log..he wasn't getting that fixed after giving grief to colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

spurious wrote: »
    You should go for special assistance.
    It suits the airline if you are going to be a bit slower, or hold up boarding in anyway to get you on early and 'out of the way' so to speak.
    You don't need to necessarily have a disability, needing more time qualifies you.

When I said struggle, I meant violently shaping the fat on my body so it fits into a seat. After all the years of flying it only takes me about 10 seconds longer than the other passengers. And since I’m always amongst the first people on the plane and usually the last one to leave, I’m not holding anyone up. It’s a technique I perfected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

When I said struggle, I meant violently shaping the fat on my body so it fits into a seat. After all the years of flying it only takes me about 10 seconds longer than the other passengers. And since I’m always amongst the first people on the plane and usually the last one to leave, I’m not holding anyone up. It’s a technique I perfected :D

But do you need an extension? From what ive seen its people who have a very very wide waist who simply cant make that connection meet. If you don't need it then surely it cant be that hard to "contain" yourself as your mentioned in your technique?

But do you need an extension? From what ive seen its people who have a very very wide waist who simply cant make that connection meet. If you don't need it then surely it cant be that hard to "contain" yourself as your mentioned in your technique?

I need the extension because of my hips and arse. The extension takes 5 seconds to click on your normal belt. The crew hands it to you after the safety demonstration. I don’t see how needing an extension because of a big butt would mean that I need a special assistance to get on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Ricky Gervais “humanity” on a woman onboard with a nut allergy is hilarious, where no-one else onboard can be served nuts, and he’s fuming.., can’t understand whats that got to do with him.. “I never wanted nuts more”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Passengers who stand up as soon as the plane stops even though they could be waiting 10 minutes for the doors to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ill be flying for the first time in 11 years in september. Im going to watch out for all these things and see what, if any, bug me and post:)
    I think the 'quality' of a lot of people has gone downhill the past few years, at the risk of soundibg 100.
    Its the same on the roads, in queues, on trains, wherever, some people just dont have what it takes to mix with the rest of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Olsky wrote: »
    My Nr 1 pet peeve is definitely reclining seats. Really annoys me and I am short.
    Find it rude and an intrusion of my personal space. Why oh why do airlines provide this function though?
    A hangover from the time when flying was an occasion, and (invariably very wealthy) passengers expected pampering. And legroom.

These days, flying is next to commuting. Planes are buses with wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

There's no point in paying for two seats, the check in staff at the boarding gate will only see it as an empty seat on departure and allocate to another passenger or a staff member travelling standby and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it...

If you follow the instructions, your extra seat will be seen as filled as well, and not free for use.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/Can-I-purchase-an-extra-seat-for-a-large-person

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I used to fly a lot with work and had some really annoying moments, but since I see stories I've decided to share one that is by far my favourite, not quite annoying but I just absolutely loved how the steward handled it.

So I was flying to London with BA and got one of those seats just behind the priority section, with the curtain in front of me. Wouldn't call it first class as just a curtain to separate. Our plane was being delayed for a little bit on the runway. There was something about an untagged bag so they took it quite seriously. Could see the guys working outside walking around and checking.

There was this man in a suit just in front of me, and my lord he was getting impatient. Muttering and cursing under his breath, fidgeting, just generally pissed off, while the rest of us sat there calmly waiting. To be fair he started annoying me just with his constant muttering, sighs and flinging himself around looking everywhere. When a steward would walk by he would have a comment, not even a question just complaining, as if it was their fault!

Eventually a more senior steward, took a notice of this. He had been checking with people and was gas. Flamboyant and energetic with his updates. He walked over to the man to see what was going on. Conversation went something like this.

Steward (S): Hello sir, is everything alright?
    Angry Man (AM): Is everything alright? Are you serious? We are running late.
    (S): I'm sorry sir but we can't begin take-off until they are finished with their checks.
    (AM): Well that's not good enough! I'm going to be late now.
    (S): I'm afraid there is nothing we can do, and I would ask you just to try remain calm and we will hopefully be departing soon.
    (AM): Remain calm? This is ridiculous. How long will these checks even be going on for?

At this point everyone around had low-key turned their earphone audio off and was glancing over listening.

(S): I tell you what sir there is a way we can find that out.
    (AM): Well do it.
    (S): You can lean over to the window there beside you (he points at the window), give it a tap, try get the attention of the nice men down there with a little wave and see if they will let you know how much longer they will be.

I was shocked at how sassy and condescending he delivered it. The man just fell silent scowling at him while he didn't break eye-contact.

(S): Now if you have any other questions just give me a wave.

Before turning around and gleefully walking off.

It isn't the best story but I was holding back laughter, burst out a few. He may have come across a bit snarky but found he was a great steward, I talked to him for a bit and he was a laugh, didn't take kindly to annoying passengers though. One woman later gave out about the nutritional information of the food not being comprehensive enough, and equally condescending response came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Passengers who stand up as soon as the plane stops even though they could be waiting 10 minutes for the doors to open.

This irritates me also. Ironically I find that most of the people in such a hurry to get up after the aircraft has stopped are the same people that will rather queue for an escalator in the terminal rather than take the stairs beside it on the way to baggage claim. I have often left the aircraft after them then overtaken them on the stairs.

Another bugbear- couples who have to sit apart for short (3 or less hours) flights because they didn't book the seats at the time of paying for flight. Then they get all annoyed and panicky and start asking other people to accommodate them so they can sit together.

You have your whole life together, what difference does 2 hours apart make? Never understood the weirdly clingy nature of some couples.

Another bugbear- couples who have to sit apart for short (3 or less hours) flights because they didn't book the seats at the time of paying for flight. Then they get all annoyed and panicky and start asking other people to accommodate them so they can sit together.

You have your whole life together, what difference does 2 hours apart make? Never understood the weirdly clingy nature of some couples.

About three years ago I was flying to Frankfurt and there were about 6 Brazilians on the plane, not seated together, they were spread around the back of the plane. They kept talking to each other while sitting in their seats. And when I say talking, I mean shouting as loud as possible so all of them can be involved in the conversation.

I think that nobody was ever this happy to land in Germany. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

parents who allow their kids to kick, punch, pull, climb on etc seats especially when you are trying to sleep in front of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

Once her and the kid was separated by him by me sitting next to her. I offered myself to swap places with him. The look he gave me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lion_bar wrote: »
    People who use my seat to drag themselves up when getting up. Usually just as I nod off.

my old man is guilty of this - product of being overweight

the instant recliner is a piece of sh!t in my opinion...

Reclining should only be for long haul flights when cabin lights are dimmed. Doing so at any other time makes you a cnut in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

lawred2 wrote: »
    my old man is guilty of this - product of being overweight

the instant recliner is a piece of sh!t in my opinion...

Reclining should only be for long haul flights when cabin lights are dimmed. Doing so at any other time makes you a cnut in my eyes.

Someone gave me a bad bruse last year when I was flying Premium with virgin atlantic he rammed his seat back and he was in the front row with lots of legroom for himself. He actually managed to break the chair so it reclined further than it should have.

I almost had my laptop broken a few times from people reclining their seats without asking was i doing something.

I have a mate who is 6ft3 so plane seats leg room are never great for him but his legs are so long that the person in front literally CANNOT recline the seat because his legs are pressed against the back of the chair in front of him. He says he often gets real funny looks from people who cannot fathom the physics of chairs not being able to recline because of legs in the way and looks at him as if to say "cant you make your legs disappear so I can recline"....people can really be absolutely dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was between a couple who had checked in the aisle and window of a 3 seater hoping nobody would get the middle. Didn't want to move. Talked Quebecois noisily all night and passed stuff over me (in front of my screen) constantly. Made the upgrade to E+ pretty much a downgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

L1011 wrote: »
    I was between a couple who had checked in the aisle and window of a 3 seater hoping nobody would get the middle. Didn't want to move. Talked Quebecois noisily all night and passed stuff over me (in front of my screen) constantly. Made the upgrade to E+ pretty much a downgrade

Who didn't want to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Obese people sitting next to you- its a complete hot potato and most airliners are just too scared to upset the obese person for fear of lawsuits and bad publicity etc. Ive seen one guy who had to be about 30 stone and he needed an extension seat belt but he was literally sitting on the poor woman next to him not a bother, Really, they should have to pay for two seats.

That one is a killer. Happened to me before with a guy who simply could fit inside his economy seat on a flight from Ansterdam to Kuala Lumpur ... very long 12 hours having to accommodate the excess fat coming my way.

I appreciate it’s hard for everyone involved (in this case the cabin was full so no way to relocate me) and I don’t want to humiliate anyone.

But on the other hand when you paid for a seat and you’re not getting that full seat, feeling uncomfortable for 12 hours with nowhere to go, I think you have every right to be unhappy about it.

Airlines should really come up with a standard way to address this instead of just letting 2 passengers (the overnight one and their neighbour) have a horrible flight.

I have a mate who is 6ft3 so plane seats leg room are never great for him but his legs are so long that the person in front literally CANNOT recline the seat because his legs are pressed against the back of the chair in front of him. He says he often gets real funny looks from people who cannot fathom the physics of chairs not being able to recline because of legs in the way and looks at him as if to say "cant you make your legs disappear so I can recline"....people can really be absolutely dumb.

I’d say another issue is that they might feel the pressure of his knees in their back through the chair.

While technically not his fault, it happened to me before and it’s super annoying. If you are stuck on a chair for several hours, something constantly pressuring your bones/nerves/muscles the wrong way - even lightly - can become *extremly* unconforable and annoying after a while.

Hard plastic plates at the back of the chair do help a good bit when present, but sometimes you can still feel something is pressuring your back.

While not as severe it’s a bit like people who are just too wide for their chair. It’s unpleasant for any party involved to do something about it, but it ends-up being quite annoying.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I don’t know if you’ve taken flights in China but you ought to experience it then :-)

I go there regularly and like both the country and the people. But when a plane more or less stops after landing ... you’d swear there is a fire at the back of the cabin and people are running for their lives!

• Advertisement

The function shouldn't be there. Not everyone has short enough legs to sit comfortably behind a reclining seat.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have a bad lower back, and sitting bolt upright for any length of time is incredibly uncomfortable. I'll suffer it on a short flight (usually because I have no choice) but on a long flight I absolutely will use the recliner on my seat (usually checking first that the person behind isn't eating or drinking).

Should your long legs trump my bad back?

A compromise would be for the seat to slide forward when you recline it. I.e. the person who is losing legroom is the one reclining their chair and the person behind them actually gains legroom. I’ve seen it done that way on trains before.

Advertisement