Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

John_Rambo wrote: »
    For aviation workers I'd imagine it's drunk people. Or 'that person" that gets up and starts packing away when the plane's still taxiing.

One thing I hate though is crew members who keep giving drinks to someone whose obviously drunk already to keep them quiet.

I don’t know if it is common, but happened with the guy sitting next to me once on a BA flight from Beijing to London and it was not pleasant.

Eventually the strategy worked and the guy fell asleep, but before that I had to go through a few phases of him shouting, crying, and puking over himself :-/ (I’d also assume that giving someone drinks until they drop at 36000 feet is breaking a few health and safety procedures)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Negative_G wrote: »
    Who didn't want to move?

They didn't want to swap to sit together.

The flight was full so I had no choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

L1011 wrote: »

Pretty crap people to keep talking over you and refuse to swap seats :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

As a wheelchair user I have to wait until everybody is off the plane before they can come get me.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of people who dawdle in the back then when they do eventually try to get off they see some one they know and spend 10 minutes chatting to them holding up the lads coming for me. Infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

smilerf wrote: »
    As a wheelchair user I have to wait until everybody is off the plane before they can come get me.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of people who dawdle in the back then when they do eventually try to get off they see some one they know and spend 10 minutes chatting to them holding up the lads coming for me. Infuriating

I bet they have zero clue that they are holding you up... Let them know the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Bob24 wrote: »
    One thing I hate though is crew members who keep giving drinks to someone whose obviously drunk already to keep them quiet.

I don’t know if it is common, but happened with the guy sitting next to me once on a BA flight from Beijing to London and it was not pleasant.

Eventually the strategy worked and the guy fell asleep, but before that I had to go through a few phases of him shouting, crying, and puking over himself :-/ (I’d also assume that giving someone drinks until they drop at 36000 feet is breaking a few health and safety procedures)

When I worked in the airport many moons ago I am sure its illegal for a passenger to be drunk on board. Thats why airlines usually stop serving them when they get a bit tipsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have no issue with reclining seats, it's part and package of the flight. I do however have an issue with throwing the seat back without even looking especially after a meal where they haven't cleared trays away so someone could be eating still. I always glance behind too to make sure I can recline, always after food service has been cleared away. I do always try to get leg room though, so worth it for comfort.

I will (and have) called people out for:

* reclining aggressively
    * hoisting themselves up using my seat
    * putting feet up the inside of my seat

I've only been sat next to an obese person once. I was overweight at the time and at my height was not small by any means but I was comfortable. When she came in I was leaning outwards. The steward asked if I wanted to move back down the plane but I didn't want to as a) I knew the guy opposite the aisle and we were chatting b) it was only a flight to London and c) I needed to get off the flight sharpish to get to London City for an interview.
    The issue was, he wasn't subtle in asking the question so the poor woman was mortified and apologised to me profusely. I tried to assure her it was fine but man I felt awful.

In relation to me legs encroaching your space though if I'm unlucky enough to get a middle seat my legs can't go anywhere, if I'm at the window i'll lean in that way but I'm not squashing my liathróidií for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

That's the height of ignorance on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

L1011 wrote:

Maybe join in their conversation next time. I'd say that'd piss them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

rushfan wrote: »

Or done a "Prendeville".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I’ve just come off a flight operated by Buta Airways. The attached was in the in flight magazine. I have to say I approve.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Noxegon wrote: »
    I’ve just come off a flight operated by Buta Airways. The attached was in the in flight magazine. I have to say I approve.

That's all excellent and just common sense. I love the one where you should monitor your childs behaviour so many parents cant see anything wrong with a kid who kicks a chair or presses the buttons really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

You have your whole life together, what difference does 2 hours apart make?

A few years ago I experienced an in flight emergency. Ever since then I have been absolutely determined to sit next to my partner.

I do book seats, FWIW.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

If I could speak Quebecois (or French) I would have. Could barely even listen in as it was, with my pass LC French :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If I could speak Quebecois (or French) I would have. Could barely even listen in as it was, with my pass LC French :pac:

You don't need to understand it. Just play along. Follow inquisitively. Nod and laugh etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bob24 wrote: »
    A compromise would be for the seat to slide forward when you recline it. I.e. the person who is losing legroom is the one reclining their chair and the person behind them actually gains legroom. I’ve seen it done that way on trains before.
    Newer models of aircraft seats have this function. Thus it hould prevent the long running feuds between recliners and the ppl behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Some people on flights think they're at the opera in a tranquil Michelin star restaurant. They're not. They're on a bus with wings most of the time. Fly business class and if you can't afford it, if you can't you're going to have to accept there's big people, small people. Including kids.
    endacl wrote: »
    A hangover from the time when flying was an occasion, and (invariably very wealthy) passengers expected pampering. And legroom.

These days, flying is next to commuting. Planes are buses with wings.

This!!!

And there's *edit a few people (not a lot in fairness) on this thread with that hangover and think their some sort of jet set royalty!

I think that with the French (origin at least) arrogance on show that even showing that I understood a bit would have shut them up. The wonders of hindsight!

I probably wasn't the ideal passenger then myself - I'd done a red-eye from PDX to ORD, then an E75 up to YUL and had been hanging around the airport for hours; but I'd changed clothes and done a cologne shower in YUL after extensive googling and asking around told me I couldn't buy my way to one of the lounges with actual showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

L1011 wrote:
    If I could speak Quebecois (or French) I would have. Could barely even listen in as it was, with my pass LC French

Pick up a few handy East European sounding words and recite them in an aggressive voice. For example, tennis players surnames. That'll sort them. I do it sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Pick up a few handy East European sounding words and recite them in an aggressive voice. For example, tennis players surnames. That'll sort them. I do it sometimes.

DJOKOVIC!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You don't need to understand it. Just play along. Follow inquisitively. Nod and laugh etc

In fact, the more randomly you do this, the madder you come across. Would definitely encourage them to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Thee one thing that I abhor on flights and I see it’s becoming a common thing from passengers now is flatulence. Yeap all very funny but it’s actually disgusting. Have been on a few packed flights recently and I was nearly wretch ing with the stink. I can deal with all the other passenger issues but this is my no.1hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

One I heard that happened last night. Passenger was basically passed out drunk, so not causing a general nuisance. But he could not be woken up for either seatbelt check. For the second check, the cabin crew had to reach in and fasten it. He spent most of the flight with his head on the lap of passenger to left, until landing when he woke up after his head smacked against the seat in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Thee one thing that I abhor on flights and I see it’s becoming a common thing from passengers now is flatulence. Yeap all very funny but it’s actually disgusting. Have been on a few packed flights recently and I was nearly wretch ing with the stink. I can deal with all the other passenger issues but this is my no.1hate.

From an article on farting on the plane:
    HAFE stands for High Altitude Flatus Expulsion. Coined by a pair of researchers in the 1980s, the “tongue-in-cheek” term describes a phenomenon observed when mountain climbers experienced flatulence at high altitudes, said Dr. David Shlim, a physician and former president of the International Society of Travel Medicine.

Turns out HAFE is likely at play when you pass more gas on a plane.

Airplane cabins are pressurized to between 6,000 and 8,000 feet, which is a significant altitude change for your body if you’ve come from sea level, Shlim told HuffPost. And just as the air in your water bottle expands at higher altitudes, the gas in your intestines can expand on a plane, growing to take up about 30 percent more room than usual.

Then, it needs to escape.

“The air pressure in an airplane is different than on the ground,” said Dr. Scott Kalish, a travel medicine doctor in New York City. “In certain people, it can predispose them to developing more gas.”

Not sure if pseudoscience though. I personally get bloated and deaf during the flight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

Deaf and bloated is a dangerous combo. Not as dangerous as having the runs and the sneezes, but still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From an article on farting on the plane:

Not sure if pseudoscience though. I personally get bloated and deaf during the flight. :D

Gas expands as you go up and compresses as you go down. For example if you took a deep breath and held it while rising to a significant height your lungs would rupture. Your bowels work the same way.
    Can't say I have ever noticed a problem though.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Gas expands as you go up and compresses as you go down. For example if you took a deep breath and held it while rising to a significant height your lungs would rupture. Your bowels work the same way.
    Can't say I have ever noticed a problem though.

Interesting. Do you think it would work if I held my breath during take off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Interesting. Do you think it would work if I held my breath during take off?
    Why would you want to try this??:pac:

I do scuba diving so the differentials in pressure would be more glaring over shorter distances. For example at 20 metre submersion if you rocketed to the surface without releasing your breath you can do severe damage to yourself because the pressure difference is 2 bar at 20m which is about 3 x pressure at sea level. The differentials out of water as you go up are not as stark with pressure at 30,000 feet (cruising altitude of a 737) at about a third of sea level. A reduction in pressure makes gases expand which is why your ears pop. You naturally keep breathing so do not feel the pressure on your lungs.

So the trick for your bowels is to release regularly as you rise through the air. Once at cruising altitude all should be ok.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why would you want to try this??:pac:

I do scuba diving so the differentials in pressure would be more glaring over shorter distances. For example at 20 metre submersion if you rocketed to the surface without releasing your breath you can do severe damage to yourself because the pressure difference is 2 bar at 20m which is about 3 x pressure at sea level. The differentials out of water as you go up are not as stark with pressure at 30,000 feet (cruising altitude of a 737) at about a third of sea level. A reduction in pressure makes gases expand which is why your ears pop. You naturally keep breathing so do not feel the pressure on your lungs.

So the trick for your bowels is to release regularly as you rise through the air. Once at cruising altitude all should be ok.

I love it when someone can explain stuff to me! :D

Well one of my weirder hobbies is holding breath (it got to the point that I do it subconsciously), so I'm always looking for new ways to do it. This might be interesting, I'll try to find more about it and give it a try when I'm flying to Manchester next week.

Advertisement