Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So the trick for your bowels is to release regularly as you rise through the air. Once at cruising altitude all should be ok.

Isn't it as they pressurize the cabin rather than as the plane rises?
    (Albeit that they pressurize as they rise)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

On short haul flights, for me people insisting on shoving their coat and small bag into the overhead lockers and then leaving people with larger cabin bags nowhere to put them. I always put my rucksack under the seat and leave my coat on my lap. The newer Ryanair aircraft are great, the smaller seat frame and lack of reclining seats are fantastic. I don't mind kids on flights, but they need to be watched. On a flight last year I remember we were turning off the taxiway onto the runway just before departure on a Ryanair flight and a kid goes running up the aisle, just unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why would you want to try this??:pac:

I do scuba diving so the differentials in pressure would be more glaring over shorter distances. For example at 20 metre submersion if you rocketed to the surface without releasing your breath you can do severe damage to yourself because the pressure difference is 2 bar at 20m which is about 3 x pressure at sea level. The differentials out of water as you go up are not as stark with pressure at 30,000 feet (cruising altitude of a 737) at about a third of sea level. A reduction in pressure makes gases expand which is why your ears pop. You naturally keep breathing so do not feel the pressure on your lungs.

So the trick for your bowels is to release regularly as you rise through the air. Once at cruising altitude all should be ok.

The cabin is pressurised to the equivalent pressure of about 8,000ft normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Darwin wrote: »
    On short haul flights, for me people insisting on shoving their coat and small bag into the overhead lockers and then leaving people with larger cabin bags nowhere to put them.

I’d disagree here: because someone is carrying less luggage doesn’t mean they should have less access to storage space in the cabin and suffer reduced legroom with their bag in front of them. The problem is more with airlines having poor policies which lead to overloading of the cabin (typically, Ryanair implementing a pricing policy which strongly discourages passengers to check-in their luggage, which naturally leads to overload of cabin storage capacity).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

faoiarvok wrote: »
    The cabin is pressurised to the equivalent pressure of about 8,000ft normally.

Yep which is why a sudden depressurisation can be catastrophic.
    It takes time to stabilise though hence the popping ears.

Topics I never thought I would be discussing today while eating my breakfast
    1. The physics of flatulence on aircraft......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I’d disagree here: because someone is carrying less luggage doesn’t mean they should have less access to storage space in the cabin and suffer reduced legroom with their bag in front of them. The problem is more with airlines having poor policies which lead to overloading of the cabin (typically, Ryanair implementing a pricing policy which strongly discourages passengers to check-in their luggage, which naturally leads to overload of cabin storage capacity).

Thats in the past. Now if you're not priority boarding its tagged and taken off you and get it on the carousel at the other end. Its a massive relief for boarding FR and one of the best things they've done.

trellheim wrote: »
    Thats in the past. Now if you're not priority boarding its tagged and taken off you and get it on the carousel at the other end. Its a massive relief for boarding FR and one of the best things they've done.

Yes this change is acknowledging that the previous policy didn’t make sense and was the reason for the issues (as opposed to people using overhead bins to put backpacks).

But it is still fair to say Ryanair is massively incentiving customers to take luggage in the cabin rather than checking it in (the cost for check-in luggage is much higher than priority boarding).

And that is just one exemple: in general a passenger with a small bag shouldn’t be less entitled to use overhead bins that a passanger with a large bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Bob24 wrote: »
    And that is just one exemple: in general a passenger with a small bag shouldn’t be less entitled to use overhead bins that a passanger with a large bag.

I agree with you there, we all should be entitled to the same space for our luggage. However if there's not enough space for all the cabin luggage and you only have a small bag, it makes life easier for everyone if you just put your bag under the seat in front of you. It certainly takes less time than the stewards running around with a small suitcase trying to find a spot.

Ryanair's new policy on cabin luggage seems to have solved this issue. The whole boarding process is so much easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

You are not entitled to recline back into someone else’s personal space just because the option is there
    thats been tested quite a few times, and IIRC the consensus is that, yes, you are. Google it fo more.

Depends on your definition of 'entitled' I suppose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dardoo

On a recent transatlantic flight, on the outward leg, the passenger in front of me reclined his seat as soon as we reached altitude and kept it that way until we landed. He was "asleep" when the meal came round and managed to resist all attempts to wake him up by cabin crew. They suggested I move to a free seat further back if I wanted to eat! Mind you he had no problem going to the toilet on a few occasions and going to the galley to get more drink.

On the same flight the lady across the aisle was texting the whole flight (I could see the incoming texts flash up on her screen) and decided to make herself a couple of Irish Coffees using the Baileys she bought in duty free!

On the return flight, we had quite a few empty rows of seats around us, so as soon as was practical I moved from a "two" seat to a row of 4. Man behind me in the two seats moved into my now empty two seats. I made myself comfortable as I could as I don't really sleep on planes, but I put my jacket and handbag on the seat beside me. About 4 hours into the flight, I got up to go to the toilet and when I returned said man had moved my jacket and bag into the seat I was sitting on and had streached himself over the other three seats. Sorry mate but I was using one of those seats - so he takes himself off to the cabin crew - to complain that I was using two seats but he wanted three for himself and was quite irate when he was told they couldn't force me to give up the seat to him!!

Made the last few hours on the flight interesting as he complained, loudly, to anyone who would listen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

On short haul flights, for me people insisting on shoving their coat and small bag into the overhead lockers and then leaving people with larger cabin bags nowhere to put them. I always put my rucksack under the seat and leave my coat on my lap. .

I’ve gotten scolded on flights by staff over this before the recent Ryanair changes but the way I looked at it was my small school bag and jacket was all I had. No need for a suitcase on football trips to the UK. I was bringing vastly less that most passengers with their cabin bags and airport shopping and rucksacks and for my trouble get grief. Should have been thanking me

I love the new Ryanair system anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just because you are entitled to put your coat and small bag into the overhead lockers, doesn't mean you have to. I agree this situation has been a consequence of airline policy charging over the odds to check in a bag, but on other hand putting your coat on your lap or small bag under your seat is not going to restrict your leg room and will free up space for the larger bags that need to go into the bins. My bag has a bulky laptop and other bits and pieces, but it still slides under the seat in front and it's not uncomfortable on a 2-3 hour flight.

I agree with you there, we all should be entitled to the same space for our luggage. However if there's not enough space for all the cabin luggage and you only have a small bag, it makes life easier for everyone if you just put your bag under the seat in front of you. It certainly takes less time than the stewards running around with a small suitcase trying to find a spot.

In theory and if it is a rare occurrence I (and I think most people) would agree and would try to accommodate.

The problem is if it becomes a recurring issue and there is an expectation from the crew and from passengers with larger bags that those who have small ones should always oblige anyway (as the original post I was commenting on). Once that expectation is there and pressing, the equal entitlement to use storage space is definitly gone.

Also there is one point you mention I’d partly question: “it makes life easier for everyone if you just put your bag under the seat in front of you”. While it will speed-up boarding for everyone, I am not sure it is fair to say *easier for everyone*: the person who has a large bag is entitled to storage space and full legroom, while the person with a small bag is entitled neither to storage space nor to full legroom (which will make their flight less comfortable, so it certainly doesn’t make things easier for them personally).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure I understand. Where is the leg room if you have a bag under the seat in front of you? They are tight enough as it is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

jjbrien wrote: »
    Someone gave me a bad bruse last year when I was flying Premium with virgin atlantic he rammed his seat back and he was in the front row with lots of legroom for himself. He actually managed to break the chair so it reclined further than it should have.

I almost had my laptop broken a few times from people reclining their seats without asking was i doing something.

Do you expect people sitting in front of you to ask your permission before reclining their seats or something...?

L1011 wrote: »
    They didn't want to swap to sit together.

The flight was full so I had no choice!
    Bob24 wrote: »
    Pretty crap people to keep talking over you and refuse to swap seats :-o

A newspaper would have helped here...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Loveache

Parents who give their darlings an iPad without headphones so everyone has to listen to Peppa Pig on blast.
    Parents who let their child hit and poke the heads of the people sat in front of them, kick the seats and stick their hands and feet through the gap.
    Seat reclining on short haul is ignorant af.
    Mostly though (and this happens on coaches too) it's people who can't go a few hours without snacks, like they're toddlers. You've barely even left yet and out come dozens of crisp packets etc and ensuing rustling and stench.
    Stag trips. On the way there they're all loud and lairy and on the way back they stink and fart. Hen trips ditto but screechier.
    I'd be annoyed if I'd forked out for business class and someone (upthread) had a toddler running about tbh. People they ain't no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got stuck in a window seat next to an obese blind couple, although they weren’t personally invading my space, I felt I couldn’t get out during the flight as I’d be making such a fuss..which was fine, but when the plane landed they had to wait till every one got off before getting assistance. Although I was trying to be patient I was also trying to make a connecting flight, I really feel they should have being given more easy accessible seats for themselves and other passengers.. but maybe I’m just being ignorant.

I would have had an all out panic attack in that situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

That moment when I lean forward to loosen my shoelaces and the seat in front shoots back. Does my head in, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Do you expect people sitting in front of you to ask your permission before reclining their seats or something...?

I fully expect people to look around before reclining their seat. I would always have a quick look behind making sure there's no laptop/food/drink etc that could be disturbed - or a person sleeping on the table who's head would be squished by reclining seat.

If they're using a laptop I'd normally ask them how long they'll be using it and if its just for an hour or so keep seat upright until they're finished.

We're all stuck in the same metal tube for hours, might as well show a bit of courtesy towards others.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    thats been tested quite a few times, and IIRC the consensus is that, yes, you are. Google it fo more.

Depends on your definition of 'entitled' I suppose though.

Yep, if the seat reclines your entitled to recline it. I have no problem with you reclining your seat if you're sitting in front of me and I have no problem reclining my seat if you're sitting behind me regardless of how this affects you.
    A few years back I was travelling transatlantic with my son, the person sitting behind him 'decreed' that my son was not to recline his seat at any time during the flight because "he needed the entire space because of his height"...!
    I intervened and told him we'd paid for that seat and if he wanted to recline it he was fully entitled to, and if he felt he needed more legroom he should have bought a business class seat. I then told my son to carefully recline the seat, which he did.
    The guy then got all ****ty and started kicking the back of the seat. I asked him politely to stop doing it, he refused. I called the cabin crew supervisor and told him what was happening.
    He told the guy in no uncertain terms that passengers are entitled to recline the seat they'd paid for to make themselves as comfortable as they needed, he also told the guy if he needed more legroom to fly business class, he told him if he kicked the back of the seat again he would take it very seriously.
    The guy was seriously pissed off but he never touched the back of the seat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

I discovered a new peril of air travel recently. Handbags on wheels. I have never seen one outside an airport, it's tiny luggage on wheels with ludicrously long handles. 

As I was boarding a plane the person front of me had one, as we're walking down the aisle they stopped but my eyes are counting the seat rows not looking at my feet and I expected to have at least two more strides before reaching the person in front and anything they might be holding behind them. I tripped over the tiny wheely bag and fell head first towards their arse only saved from contact by grabbing the seats either side.  

They are a menace because you encounter a similar problem in busy terminals if they cross your path.

I fully expect people to look around before reclining their seat. I would always have a quick look behind making sure there's no laptop/food/drink etc that could be disturbed - or a person sleeping on the table who's head would be squished by reclining seat.

If they're using a laptop I'd normally ask them how long they'll be using it and if its just for an hour or so keep seat upright until they're finished.

We're all stuck in the same metal tube for hours, might as well show a bit of courtesy towards others.

Well if you ever find yourself sitting directly behind me I guarantee you I'll be able to recline my seat so gently that it definitely won't spill your drink but I won't be asking your permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Well if you ever find yourself sitting directly behind me I guarantee you I'll be able to recline my seat so gently that it definitely won't spill your drink but I won't be asking your permission.

I think this is the crux of the matter. It's really about how you recline the seat. It's about showing some consideration by doing it gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

it's a long time since I was on a plane so forgive me if things have changed but the overhead baggage thing confuses me. back in 2010 I was on a flight to spain, I had booked the two seats furthest forward on the right so no one in front of me and the wife. pre-assigned seats so no need to queue, unlike the numpties in the airport who stood for an hour lol.
    We were among the last to get on the plane and the overhead was full, I simply removed the bags that were there and put our bags in, left the other ones on the aisle. from about ten rows back a woman comes storming up giving it yards about me moving her bags, hostess comes over and I explain to the passenger that I not only paid for the seat, but also the space in the overhead above that seat, suggested she put her bags above her own seat.
    I then sat down and engaged in conversation with the wife while completing ignoring the screeching behind me. Hostess told her to shift her bags, end of. I mean what else should I have done? walked down the whole plane hoping for room? fk that lol.
    Have things changed cos most on this thread complain about no space but take no action.

Also, well done to the poster who starts a queue to get a seat, pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

rushfan wrote: »
    I think this is the crux of the matter. It's really about how you recline the seat. It's about showing some consideration by doing it gently.

I agree with this. The whole debacle and divided debate about whether to recline or not actually has nothing to do with reclining and everything to do with manners and how someone is raised. If you are raised with manners and a bit of consideration for other people, you will always check behind you and ask that person for permission to recline for a bit and try not to put others out. Its just basic common courtesy.

Someone how reclines without even looking, reclines onto someone elses personal space for hours on end without a second thought always raise a massive red flag in my mind. The kind of person who does whatever they want, regardless of the consequences for anyone within their vicinity, and does it in a loutish and unapologetic fashion is an ignorant and rude creature in my view and were most likely dragged up.

but on other hand putting your coat on your lap or small bag under your seat is not going to restrict your leg room.

May be true if you’re talking small woman’s purse. But if you’re talking backpack or large purse it will no doubt restrict legroom.

soups05 wrote: »
    it's a long time since I was on a plane so forgive me if things have changed but the overhead baggage thing confuses me. back in 2010 I was on a flight to spain, I had booked the two seats furthest forward on the right so no one in front of me and the wife. pre-assigned seats so no need to queue, unlike the numpties in the airport who stood for an hour lol.
    We were among the last to get on the plane and the overhead was full, I simply removed the bags that were there and put our bags in, left the other ones on the aisle. from about ten rows back a woman comes storming up giving it yards about me moving her bags, hostess comes over and I explain to the passenger that I not only paid for the seat, but also the space in the overhead above that seat, suggested she put her bags above her own seat.
    I then sat down and engaged in conversation with the wife while completing ignoring the screeching behind me. Hostess told her to shift her bags, end of. I mean what else should I have done? walked down the whole plane hoping for room? fk that lol.
    Have things changed cos most on this thread complain about no space but take no action.

Also, well done to the poster who starts a queue to get a seat, pure genius.

Removing someone else’s bag from the overhead bins without asking them or getting a flying attendant involved is absolutely not fair game in my book (especially if you just dump it somewhere unattended, I’m sure you’d be pissed off yourself is someone was doing that with your bag).

You are entitled to storage space, but you’re not paying specifically for the area above your seat. Only possible exception I would see is if you have a seat in business class and economy passengers start bringing their luggage in the business class area. Different matter then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

meh, don't dump your crap above my seat, put it above your own lol

• Advertisement

soups05 wrote: »
    meh, don't dump your crap above my seat, put it above your own lol

What do you do if you sit next to 2 other passengers and each 3 of you has a cabin size suitcase? If you arrive last and apply that policy to yourself you won’t be able to stow your suitcase anywhere as the area directly above your seat won’t fit 3 suitcases (it may not even fully fit 2).

Advertisement