Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

simple, 1 case per row. i had four kids with me, all under 15 and only needed two small cabin bags. one above my head, the other above the head of the eldest child.

Let's look at this another way, if you paid to use a car parking space and found some tosser had parked across the line, preventing you getting out of one side of the car, would you move his car (if you could) to use the full space you paid for?

seat allocation includes the space above it, if I want to use it I will, you can use the space allocated above your seat. And if you happen to have too much crap with you to fit in then it your tough luck. not my monkey, not my circus.

:)

hhmm, just reread your post and i may have confused what you meant. if there was three in my row and the others had taken the space then fair enough, its my bad luck lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

soups05 wrote: »
    simple, 1 case per row. i had four kids with me, all under 15 and only needed two small cabin bags. one above my head, the other above the head of the eldest child.

Let's look at this another way, if you paid to use a car parking space and found some tosser had parked across the line, preventing you getting out of one side of the car, would you move his car (if you could) to use the full space you paid for?

seat allocation includes the space above it, if I want to use it I will, you can use the space allocated above your seat. And if you happen to have too much crap with you to fit in then it your tough luck. not my monkey, not my circus.

You’re not getting it. The storage space above a row of 3 seats on a typical airplane is not enough to fit 3 suitcases. My question was: what do you do if when you make it to your seat the other two people sitting next to you have already put suitcases and there is no more space for yours above your seat?

And again you paid for a specific seat but not for a specific overhead bin.

Edit: just saw you added another post and now see what the problem is. People don’t put suitcases elsewhere to be annoying (everyone prefers to have their suitcase above their seat), but because they don’t have any other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I agree with this. The whole debacle and divided debate about whether to recline or not actually has nothing to do with reclining and everything to do with manners and how someone is raised. If you are raised with manners and a bit of consideration for other people, you will always check behind you and ask that person for permission to recline for a bit and try not to put others out. Its just basic common courtesy.

Someone how reclines without even looking, reclines onto someone elses personal space for hours on end without a second thought always raise a massive red flag in my mind. The kind of person who does whatever they want, regardless of the consequences for anyone within their vicinity, and does it in a loutish and unapologetic fashion is an ignorant and rude creature in my view and were most likely dragged up.

your personal space only starts at the fully reclined position. the person in front is kindly letting you borrow it.

never ask permission to recline. it gives the impression they can say no. politely inform them of your intention to recline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Well if you ever find yourself sitting directly behind me I guarantee you I'll be able to recline my seat so gently that it definitely won't spill your drink but I won't be asking your permission.

Never said you should ask for permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

you can get turfed off and into severe trouble for pulling other people's bags out of the overhead. I'd be real careful about doing that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Wrong

You most certainly do not pay for any space above your seat or seat row. You pay for a seat, that’s it. You’ve no “right” to stow your belongings in any particular area!
    Many rows of seats on planes actually have emergency/medical/safety equipment in the locker above a particular row, what would you do in this case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think we've found our most annoying other passenger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

it's a long time since I was on a plane so forgive me if things have changed but the overhead baggage thing confuses me. back in 2010 I was on a flight to spain, I had booked the two seats furthest forward on the right so no one in front of me and the wife. pre-assigned seats so no need to queue, unlike the numpties in the airport who stood for an hour lol.
    We were among the last to get on the plane and the overhead was full, I simply removed the bags that were there and put our bags in, left the other ones on the aisle. from about ten rows back a woman comes storming up giving it yards about me moving her bags, hostess comes over and I explain to the passenger that I not only paid for the seat, but also the space in the overhead above that seat, suggested she put her bags above her own seat.
    I then sat down and engaged in conversation with the wife while completing ignoring the screeching behind me. Hostess told her to shift her bags, end of. I mean what else should I have done? walked down the whole plane hoping for room? fk that lol.
    Have things changed cos most on this thread complain about no space but take no action.

Also, well done to the poster who starts a queue to get a seat, pure genius.

Whatever about annoying habits, your actions as you describe were exceptionally ignorant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

On a lot of planes I've been on recently, the tray supports are at an angle and secured to the outer part of the horizontal on the forward seat, so reclining does not move the tray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

your personal space only starts at the fully reclined position. the person in front is kindly letting you borrow it.

never ask permission to recline. it gives the impression they can say no. politely inform them of your intention to recline

Why would you inform someone of your intention to recline?

I don’t jerk the seat back, but I’m sure not asking permission or indeed announcing my intention to recline to who ever is behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

LiamoSail wrote: »
    On a lot of planes I've been on recently, the tray supports are at an angle and secured to the outer part of the horizontal on the forward seat, so reclining does not move the tray.

Never been on a flight where this wasn’t the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Jesus lads, I've never been so glad I don't have to fly economy.
    My biggest worry is if they've loaded the caviar I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Jesus lads, I've never been so glad I don't have to fly economy.
    My biggest worry is if they've loaded the caviar I like.

Oh me nerves! Will you bring me with you lol.

Why would you inform someone of your intention to recline?

I don’t jerk the seat back, but I’m sure not asking permission or indeed announcing my intention to recline to who ever is behind me.

I wouldn't say anything either.
    I'm talking more about if you see that they are bent over or have a laptop on the table, OT even feel it's rude to just recline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bob24 wrote: »
    A compromise would be for the seat to slide forward when you recline it. I.e. the person who is losing legroom is the one reclining their chair and the person behind them actually gains legroom. I’ve seen it done that way on trains before.
    That happens in Etihad economy seats.

A compromise would be for the seat to slide forward when you recline it. I.e. the person who is losing legroom is the one reclining their chair and the person behind them actually gains legroom. I’ve seen it done that way on trains before.

you would then get people complain about how selfish the person in front for taking their legroom when not reclined

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

hhmm, just reread your post and i may have confused what you meant. if there was three in my row and the others had taken the space then fair enough, its my bad luck lol.

Yeah but you didn't ask before you took the bag out, so it could have been somebody in your row.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Absolutely.

jeez lads, i moved a bag, 8 years ago, no one had a problem except the woman who owned it. even the air hostess told her to move it instead of taking her side.

am i an annoying passenger? i certainly did not think so, nor did anyone say anything to me at the time.

I believe I was in the right, she was ten rows down and could have stowed it above her seat, not just claimed the space above mine. I really do not see why I am in the wrong but fair enough. it never came up before, if it comes up again should I move down the aisle looking for free space? what happens if I find some near the back, do I then have to wait till everyone else has de-boarded to retrieve my bag or should I be the guy holding everyone else up while i push down the plane to get my bag back.

is the act of the other person, dumping her bag ten rows away, a normal thing to be applauded? am not trying to be funny, I simply am not understanding what the problem is. Don't fly very often so some things never occur to me through simple inexperience.

eg I have never had to recline an airplane seat, never saw the need. But the longest flight was only 2.5 hrs so i guess that explains it.

• Advertisement

i wonder do these people put the bag ahead like that so they have a better view of it incase someone tries to take it or something in it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

i wonder do these people put the bag ahead like that so they have a better view of it incase someone tries to take it or something in it

As opposed to above their head?

GreeBo wrote: »
    As opposed to above their head?

you would have a very bad view above your head.
    locker on other side would give a great view.

im only guesssing

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you would have a very bad view above your head.
    locker on other side would give a great view.

im only guesssing

Yeah but I think you'd notice the person standing beside you, unless it's inspector gadget of course.

For most of them, I’d say the most likely explanation is that the overhead bins around their seat are full.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For most of them, I’d say the most likely explanation is that the overhead bins around their seat are full.

It's easier on way off to run up grab and they dont have to struggle carrying it up the aisle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    People who stand in queue for a flight. Bizaar behaviour. There is a seat there for you. The plane will not go without you.

On some flights the over head storage is limited. My carry on is where I keep my valuables. I don't want it going in the hold "for free". There's nothing bizarre about it.

On some flights the over head storage is limited. My carry on is where I keep my valuables. I don't want it going in the hold "for free". There's nothing bizarre about it.

This, plus I don’t see how queuing would be an “annoying behaviour”. Someone can think it’s pointless, but there is no reason to be annoyed because others are doing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

seat allocation includes the space above it, if I want to use it I will, you can use the space allocated above your seat.........
    No it doesnt. On some aircraft the locker above a seat can contain aircraft equipment.
    Usually the crew will enforce the "dont dump your stuff about row 4 if you are in row 20" rule. Ideally your baggage should be close to your seat, but their is nothing to say that the area above your seat is 'yours'. Thats a very US centric concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

When someone gets annoyed about other people queuing, it says more about the person who’s getting annoyed.

What difference does it make? There are a variety of legitimate reasons for people to queue; they may want to ensure that their bag is over them. They may feel that they’ll be sitting for long enough, so prefer to stand, so why not in a queue? Or they may be knackered and therefore keen to get to their seat. Or they may be afraid of flying.

Advertisement