Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying habits of passengers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

On my flight today I told off a couple for chatting loudly during the safety demo. I was told to mind my own f***ing business. You can’t win sometimes.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Noxegon wrote: »
    On my flight today I told off a couple for chatting loudly during the safety demo. I was told to mind my own f***ing business. You can’t win sometimes.

To be fair, you shouldn't have said anything at all. As long as you can follow whats going on, its irrelevant what other people are doing or saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To be fair, you shouldn't have said anything at all. As long as you can follow whats going on, its irrelevant what other people are doing or saying.

If they're between you and your exit in an emergency, it is very relevant that they understand and follow the safety procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bob24 wrote:
    I’d disagree here: because someone is carrying less luggage doesn’t mean they should have less access to storage space in the cabin and suffer reduced legroom with their bag in front of them. The problem is more with airlines having poor policies which lead to overloading of the cabin (typically, Ryanair implementing a pricing policy which strongly discourages passengers to check-in their luggage, which naturally leads to overload of cabin storage capacity).

I agree with you. Nothing worse than traveling light only to be told to shove your small bag in your foot space so that the flutes with two big bags can use the overhead space.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I disagree. Everyone need to pay attention so everyone knows what to do in an emergency. You don't want to die because two idiots start heading the wrong way and block everyone else...do you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bob24 wrote: »
    This, plus I don’t see how queuing would be an “annoying behaviour”. Someone can think it’s pointless, but there is no reason to be annoyed because others are doing it.

Different things annoy different people. Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

soups05 wrote: »
    jeez lads, i moved a bag, 8 years ago, no one had a problem except the woman who owned it. even the air hostess told her to move it instead of taking her side.

am i an annoying passenger? i certainly did not think so, nor did anyone say anything to me at the time.

I believe I was in the right, she was ten rows down and could have stowed it above her seat, not just claimed the space above mine. I really do not see why I am in the wrong but fair enough. it never came up before, if it comes up again should I move down the aisle looking for free space? what happens if I find some near the back, do I then have to wait till everyone else has de-boarded to retrieve my bag or should I be the guy holding everyone else up while i push down the plane to get my bag back.

is the act of the other person, dumping her bag ten rows away, a normal thing to be applauded? am not trying to be funny, I simply am not understanding what the problem is. Don't fly very often so some things never occur to me through simple inexperience.

eg I have never had to recline an airplane seat, never saw the need. But the longest flight was only 2.5 hrs so i guess that explains it.
    While the outcome may have been right, what you did wasn't right. That bag could have been from your row and you got lucky that it wasn't. It's an asshole move taking someone's stuff out and leaving it in the aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I suspect that the flight attendant thought that the bag had been left there by the other passenger.

I just cannot see a flight attendant siding with someone who had done something as ignorant as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I suspect that the flight attendant thought that the bag had been left there by the other passenger.

Yes that is what I think as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    If you were a passenger on my flight when I was Crew you’d have drank for free on that flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Forgot how annoying I find people who delay me at security by not being prepared and/or not understanding the system in place. And people who repack at the conveyor belt then don't put their boxes back in the pile. Blocks up the whole system.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

e62f83eedc0f0f62e5cddb352cbca662.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Seats on short-haul flights shouldn't recline, ridiculous that they should. If you need to sleep, get a window seat. (I still feel guilty for not realising I should have offered to swap seats with the exhausted and very tall guy in the aisle seat, with an empty seat between us, on my last short-haul flight. Only occurred to me afterwards.)

The nonsense about queueing and stopping in the aisle to pack baggage and so on would be ended if airlines would have the sense to board the people in window seats first, then the people in middle seats, then the people in aisle seats. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/14/business/14boarding.html

There should certainly be wider seats available for wider people. It's not only a question of obesity, there are also men and women who are built big but it's all muscle. It wouldn't just be nicer for the skinny types who have to sit beside a mountainous person, it would also be much nicer for the fatter/wider/more muscular people.

Kids banging and kicking and so on - some parents are just unconscious of how loud and rough their kids are. I still remember a nightmare bus journey with a friend's eight-year-old. My kid and the other two with us were talking softly, but this little girl had a loud, clear, piercing voice, and when I asked her to talk a bit more quietly she stared at me as if I was asking her something really strange. It was the norm in her family that she'd shriek everything out. Weird thing is that none of the rest of her family did this. Nor does she do it now as a grown-up.

Rechuchote wrote: »

There should certainly be wider seats available for wider people. It's not only a question of obesity, there are also men and women who are built big but it's all muscle. It wouldn't just be nicer for the skinny types who have to sit beside a mountainous person, it would also be much nicer for the fatter/wider/more muscular people.

I think that one is tough as it begs the question: since wider seats cost money to the airline, shall that cost be passed to the passengers using them?

If the answer is no, how do you allocate them? (Based on weight and size? Then smaller passenger will ask why they are getting smaller seats for the same price, and hell some larger passengers might even claim they are offended for been put in “fat class”)

If the answer is yes, how do you market it? If it is marketed as an optional comfort feature it can be argued it is the status quo and already exists when it makes financial sense for the airline (economy premium and business class). And if it is marketed as a mandatory feature for people over a certain size/weight, the airline will probably get sued or subject to socially media bashing for discriminating against people who are too big and forcing them to pay more than others.

Basically anything but the status quo opens a can of worm for airlines :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I think that one is tough as it begs the question: since wider seats cost money to the airline, shall that cost be passed to the passengers using them?

If the answer is no, how do you allocate them? (Based on weight and size? Then smaller passenger will ask why they are getting smaller seats for the same price, and hell some larger passengers might even claim they are offended for been put in “fat class”)

If the answer is yes, how do you market it? If it is marketed as an optional comfort feature it can be argued it is the status quo and already exists when it makes financial sense for the airline (economy premium and business class). And if it is marketed as a mandatory feature for people over a certain size/weight, the airline will probably get sued or subject to socially media bashing for discriminating against people who are too big and forcing them to pay more than others.

Basically anything but the status quo opens a can of worm for airlines :-/

They could make 3 rows of wider seats and then just sell them on first-come first-serve basis. It would be the same as paying €15 for an emergency exit row seat with extra leg space.

Myself and my fat arse would welcome wider seats and would happily pay extra :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would end up being quite a bit more than €15 surcharge - you can't fit six wider seats across in the normal tube size so you'd be down to 5, with each seat having to cover 20% of the potential revenue of the sixth seat. The notch that it'd cause in the aisle may also require the first row and the row behind to be further back to allow carts to navigate it; more lost floorspace to be made up.

Would be even worse on a CSeries (5 seats going to 4) or something like an EJet/ATR/Q400 (4->3)

It is something airlines should probably have been looking at as a better premium economy for some time, though.

They could make 3 rows of wider seats and then just sell them on first-come first-serve basis. It would be the same as paying €15 for an emergency exit row seat with extra leg space.

Myself and my fat arse would welcome wider seats and would happily pay extra :rolleyes:

On a typical short haul airplane, making seats wider essentially means 4 seats per row instead of 6 as there is no other workable configuration to keep the aisle in the middle of the cabin, which would be increasing the cost to the airline by 50% per seat. And just making them wider without making them a bit deeper and increasing legroom a bit would be strange and not necessarily help larger passengers. Increase the depth/legroom a bit combined to the wider seats and you have doubled the cost per seat to the airline.

No way this is just going to be a 15 euros extra.

Also if the problem to be solved is to accommodate larger passengers, I am not sure a fairly significant extra cost to get a larger seat is addressing this problem. Passenger who go for this option won’t necessarily be the larger ones, but rather those who have higher travel budget (same as with business class seats).

On a typical short haul airplane, making seats wider essentially means 4 seats per row instead of 6 as there is no other workable configuration to keep the aisle in the middle of the cabin

A non-straight aisle is fairly common on two-class narrow-body aircraft; which this would basically become. So 2+3 seating with an offset aisle would work

L1011 wrote: »
    A non-straight aisle is fairly common on two-class narrow-body aircraft; which this would basically become. So 2+3 seating with an offset aisle would work

Yes true. But if you do that I assume you do it for the whole cabin, not just a few seats in the front and then back to a typical configuration with the aisle in the middle as the transition would be messy and waste a lot of space for seats. In which case we’re talking pretty different business model to sell the tickets as the plane can carry 16.6% less passengers and 40% of the tickets need to be sold as a premium service.

Also tbh I have no idea, but is there no concern with weigh balancing if you have 50% more passagers on the left of the cabin than on the right.

And lastly, on typical short haul flights where legroom is typically already more limited than on long haul economy configurations - a question worth asking would be does it make sense to just make seats wider without increasing their depth and legroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

As someone 6'2'' and built large, seat pitch for short haul is not that bad of a problem across all major carriers ( with some standout exceptions with Vueling, Monarch)

Our 2 big carriers FR and EI are perfectly OK. Both offer paid options to take the extra legroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I flew in a Cityjet Avro yesterday. I’m 6’2” and did not fit comfortably in the space available.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Also tbh I have no idea, but is there no concern with weigh balancing if you have 50% more passagers on the left of the cabin than on the right.

CSeries, DC9 family (all the way to the 717) are all fine with 2+3; DC9 family with 2+2 the whole way existed; also the BAe146/Avro can be specced with either 2+3 (most airlines) or 3+3 (squashycityjet)

There would be no issue adding a wider seat section, other than whether people would buy it. And plenty of people who weren't wider themselves would buy them for comfort.

CSeries, DC9 family (all the way to the 717) are all fine with 2+3; DC9 family with 2+2 the whole way existed; also the BAe146/Avro can be specced with either 2+3 (most airlines) or 3+3 (squashycityjet)

There would be no issue adding a wider seat section, other than whether people would buy it. And plenty of people who weren't wider themselves would buy them for comfort.

If you look for exemple at European traffic, wouldn’t that be a minority of flights? (my impression is that for these routes A320 or equivalent are the most popular option by far so this is what I had in mind).

If you look for exemple at European traffic, wouldn’t that be a minority of flights? (my impression is that for these routes A320 or equivalent are the most popular option by far so this is what I had in mind).

Yes, but its not massively relevant?

They are narrower tubes to begin with, its not like they are 2+3 wider seats; but there is no structural or aisle related issues with having a 2+3 section in a 3+3 craft. Other than the worse use of floorspace and hence needing to charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

This solution already exists. It's called business class and costs far in excess of €15 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

This solution already exists. It's called business class and costs far in excess of €15 extra.

Not on most shorthaul it doesn't in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'm 6'4" so someone infront of me reclining isn't an option, I mean that in the nicest way... the seat cant physically recline because my legs are touching the back of it. The most irritating passengers are the ones who keep trying to put it back when they know there is no space

Yes, but its not massively relevant?

They are narrower tubes to begin with, its not like they are 2+3 wider seats; but there is no structural or aisle related issues with having a 2+3 section in a 3+3 craft. Other than the worse use of floorspace and hence needing to charge more.

To me talking about these planes is less relevant as they would be a small number of flights and also as you said some are already on 3+2 configurations (but for those who aren’t I ddinitly agree it would make sense).

My impression is that when people talk about wider seats, mostly what they have in mind is your typical Airbus or Boeing.

To me talking about these planes is less relevant as they would be a small number of flights and also as you said some are already on 3+2 configurations (but for those who aren’t I ddinitly agree it would make sense).

My impression is that when people talk about wider seats, mostly what they have in mind is your typical Airbus or Boeing.

They were only mentioned as you were concerned about the weight and balance of a 3+2 layout. There are hundreds and were thousands of 3+2 aircraft in service - I forgot the Fokker jets also.

• Advertisement

They were only mentioned as you were concerned about the weight and balance of a 3+2 layout. There are hundreds and were thousands of 3+2 aircraft in service - I forgot the Fokker jets also.

But is 3+2 doable on a A320 for example and is anyone doing it? (This type of configuration would only really help with the original issue if it worked on the the majority of aircrafts in which people would like larger seats).

I.e. if you want larger seats on your typical European flight is 3+2 an option or is it just 2+2?

Advertisement