Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noodle bars, pho, ramon, sushi and the like in the city.

Options
  • 04-06-2018 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of these popping up around the city. So I thought I'd start a thread where people can recommend to eat or avoid.

Best on so far in my opinion is Aobaba on Capel st. for noodle soups.

It's hectic and busy, very tight for space... but hey, that's part of it all. Food is top notch and portions are huge. The spicy dishes have extra fresh chillie you can ad and lots of sauce options you can ad to the dish.

BunCha on Moore st. is a nice restaurant, but thought the food was a bit tame and maybe toned down for European tastes.

Ramon Bar on Fitzwilliam st. I was a bit disappointed, but I'm not a Ramon expert. Found the food a bit bland and lacking punch.

Thai Jasmin on Liffey st. is very very reasonable, again, not much space. Good kids options.

I still think Musashi is the best of sushi. But others might know better.

M&L on Cathedral st. is great too. Authentic Chinese.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

pho viet on parnell street gets my vote. Big portions too of pho and bun bo hue.

Jolins vietnamese coffee house is decent. She does a bun bo nam bo sometimes that's great.

Didn't think the chicken pho from Pang kevin street was too authentic. some strange additions like peas.

Had a lovely meal in kimchi hop house next to pho viet on parnell street. Lively too if you wanted go for drinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Senor Langostino

Who is Ramon?
    Aobaba is the best but intolerable when busy sometimes, Pho Viet isn't bad either. I've tried most of them and they are the only authentic ones that I'm aware of, a Vietnamese Irish guy I met recently told me same!

pho ta in temple bar is good if you're around the area, cheap prices and good food, i do not recommend going however after a hape of scoops though. Pho or noodle soups in general are horrible when on a a night out.

That said next day if feeling a bit rough for wear are amazing.

There was a place called Que Huong on golden lane D8 that seems to have shut down. Disappointed about that as they were only of the only places to deliver bun bo hue, they also separated the ingredients into separate containers which was key (noodles didn't turn to much) and you could reheat and eat next day/later or whatever your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Who is Ramon?
    Aobaba is the best but intolerable when busy sometimes, Pho Viet isn't bad either. I've tried most of them and they are the only authentic ones that I'm aware of, a Vietnamese Irish guy I met recently told me same!

Sorry, I made a spelling mistake. I meant to say Ramen (I have a deep inner feeling you knew exactly what I was talking about, spider senses and all that). Thanks for the input though. Aobaba was incredibly busy when I was there too! It's for good reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Aobaba has gone downhill recently imo, meat has been pretty crap the last few times ive been there. Theres use to be a good pho place up the street, little saigon or something that i thought was better. Changed to Mr Noodle, not sure if it still does pho or if he quality is the same

• Advertisement

Was that Hanoi Hanoi by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Great banh mi available in Pang on Kevin Street. They also do a variety of fresh spring rolls.

For ramen, the Ramen Bar on South William Street is supposed to be good. It's on my to-do list.

For pho, I like Pho Viet best.

For authentic Chinese, my personal favourite is Old Town on Capel Street. It's more Sichuan orientated. M&L is also really good, but not as spicy as I like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yumo had the best ramen but they shut down recently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

For sushi, I've found Ku Raudo on Townsend St (near Tara St station) to be pretty good. Very small but never failed to get a table for two so far. Also decent for lunch with a bento box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Lee Kee on Parnell Street. Excellent Chinese/ noodles

The KimChi Hop House across the road ( beside Pho Viet ). Thumbs up.

Kanoodle ( Parnell St/ Marblorough St junction) are actually OK too. Nice to sit with a bowl at the window.

Totally agree...more noodle bars and less burrito/ burger joints pls :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Ramen Bar is pretty good. The ramen isn’t as good as you’d get in Japan, or even in some of the NY ramen places, but they make a good stab at it. The tonkatsu is actually made with pork stock and the whole affair is authentic enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Was that Hanoi Hanoi by any chance?

It was indeed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

I'd like to second Pho Viet on Parnell St. Aobaba has the best broth in my opinion but the quality of their meat is awful and it's quite an uncomfortable place to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Aobada just slightly ahead of pho Viet for me. Both really good and probably the best value meal in Dublin. Aobada for lunch and pho Viet if I'm out for dinner. Didn't enjoy pho ta in temple bar. Ordered a bahn mi and it was served on a normal roll you'd use for a chicken fillet.

Last time I was in pho Viet I asked if they had some of the fried bread sticks( Chinese doughnut) to go with the pho. They didn't make them but went to a Asian store on Parnell Street and got some fresh ones. They were amazing and I don't think I've ever experienced that level some service in a restaurant since. They also do a small corkage on your own wine but I'd recommend a beer Hanoi personally.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Takara on Abbey St for Ramen and Banyi in Temple Bar for sushi, both delicious.

Slight price hike in Aobaba, but in fairness, myself and fellow diners felt there was an improvement on the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Takara was closed by the FSAI on Thursday, closure order still not lifted it seems.

edit: lifted on the 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Slight price hike in Aobaba, but in fairness, myself and fellow diners felt there was an improvement on the food.

Thanks for the reminder, went in yesterday and the pho was excellent as always.

Got the special Bun Bo Hue and it was a massive sized, absolutely packed bowl for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

anyone know where to get a good Laksa in Dublin?

very hard to find !

anyone know where to get a good Laksa in Dublin?

very hard to find !

Agreed - Had mosa parnell street delivered and it was decent dunno what it's like eating in.

Not tried but on my list of places to go to with Laksa on the menu is Kopatiam on capel street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Agreed - Had mosa parnell street delivered and it was decent dunno what it's like eating in.

Not tried but on my list of places to go to with Laksa on the menu is Kopatiam on capel street.

Kopitam is decent. But I have no real reference to base it against.

Bun cha. Is very very good. Vietnamese noodles with chargrilled pork.

The ramen kitchen in stoneybatter is very good, their beef rib with kimchi broth is delish.

Soup ramen in dun laoghaire. Great ramen, but the deep fried kimchi was the nicest thing I ate in Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Bowls on Parnel St is pretty damn tasty....

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I like the ramen in Takara.... though news released this morning. They were shut down for a week for heavy evidence of rat activity in the cleaning area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Bowls on Parnel St is pretty damn tasty....

I am a big fan of Bowls! I recommend!

Advertisement