Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair delays Summmer 18

Options
  • 04-06-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any insight into any possible staffing issues Ryanair are facing? It would appear things have gone sour again similar to late last summer with long delays across the network. ATC issues are being blamed for the UK. Worrying to see such long delays at the start of peak summer schedule. Are crew out running out of hours with long delays due to weather for the past number of weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Ryanair are under crewed again and as you said the strain of the summer schedule is starting to take its toll with numerous flight cancellations. And it's not even summer peak traffic yet.

Possible industrial action to follow around the network too from both pilots and cabin crew.
    Dublin pilots are close to balloting for industrial action so I've been informed. It seems the lessons of last September have been forgotten already by Ryanair management.

Staff morale is at an all time low. Pilots, cabincrew, engineers, and groundstaff have all had enough of managements treatment and are leaving for the likes of Aer Lingus, Norwegian, Wow, and China.
    Ryanair is not in a good place despite what profits they claim to be still making.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Stansted busy today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Large number of flight cancellations in the past seven days and many flights delayed by 3 hours network wide. It does seem like something is going very wrong. Ryanair operated Laudamotion is particularity hard hit. I'd go as far as to say it seems to be worse than last year.

Stevek101 wrote:
    I'd go as far as to say it seems to be worse than last year.

It is worse, much worse. And they won't have "pilot leave" as an excuse this time round.

Once we don't end up with mass cancellations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Noticed it with STN arrivals the other night, pretty much every flight was delayed by well over an hour and some by as much as three hours. In fairness, EasyJet were also suffering some delays into LTN but nowhere near as bad and not as noticeable as they usually have quite a few scheduled arrivals post 0200 whereas Ryanair end their day flying a little earlier.

Thunderstorms in the UK and across much of Europe were an issue last week but had mainly moved on by the weekend so I wondered whether it was another internal issue at Ryanair or just a bad day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm so glad I decided to pay the extra this year and fly EI. I had a strong feeling that this issue wasn't just going to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Last week FR46 Dublin to Charleroi was one hour late due to plane not arriving on it, no big deal so be it and have seen it plenty of times before

We scanned through the gate and maybe 10 of us boarded at the back door and then a shout went from the front door to the back door to stop boarding. The captain/first officer came down to us in the aisle, a pretty cool professional chap and explained they were behind schedule and were going "out of hours" or something like that, I think I got the phrase wrong.

So our plane was given to Dublin - Manchester which is a shorter route and the crew did that short route and we waited 4 hours for another plane and crew who could take us. Oh it was like Kings cross train station as the last minute gate changes went through and the Manchester passengers sprinted to our former gate ha

Delays happen meh not bothered. Never in my life did I board a plane and get kicked off two minutes later. :D The plane and the gate not talking to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

Noticed it with STN arrivals the other night, pretty much every flight was delayed by well over an hour and some by as much as three hours. In fairness, EasyJet were also suffering some delays into LTN but nowhere near as bad and not as noticeable as they usually have quite a few scheduled arrivals post 0200 whereas Ryanair end their day flying a little earlier.

Thunderstorms in the UK and across much of Europe were an issue last week but had mainly moved on by the weekend so I wondered whether it was another internal issue at Ryanair or just a bad day at the office.

I was on one of those delayed flights from Stansted....captain said it was very busy over Europe..Belgium and Germany....... what ever that was supposed to mean.

Last Sunday (as in the week before so the 27th). My flight was 1.5 hrs late taking off....had to add fuel do to a damaged fuel rig in stansted as a result of storms. Then we were waiting 30 mins on tarmac in stansted.....then it took them 3 hours to get our bags off the plane! Ended up having to take a 320 GBP taxi direct from airport to southhampton to make our holiday cruise. Will be looking at other airlines a lot more in future.

Big improvement tonight thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The captain/first officer came down to us in the aisle, a pretty cool professional chap and explained they were behind schedule and were going "out of hours" or something like that, I think I got the phrase wrong.

Sounds right. The crew were approaching their maximum legal amount of hours flying in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

893bet wrote: »
    I was on one of those delayed flights from Stansted....captain said it was very busy over Europe..Belgium and Germany....... what ever that was supposed to mean.

Traffic. There was a French ATC strike so aircraft were forced to take longer routes to avoid, putting more aircraft into the same place at the same time. Aircraft could be rerouted, speed limited, or held on the ground to keep them apart.
    Last Sunday (as in the week before so the 27th). My flight was 1.5 hrs late taking off....had to add fuel do to a damaged fuel rig in stansted as a result of storms. Then we were waiting 30 mins on tarmac in stansted.....then it took them 3 hours to get our bags off the plane! Ended up having to take a 320 GBP taxi direct from airport to southhampton to make our holiday cruise. Will be looking at other airlines a lot more in future.

There was no fuel available in Stansted at all, stranding aircraft already there, and forcing others to bring enough with them to get out again. I’m sure it was insane trying to get anything done at the airport with that sort of disruption, and I’m not sure any other airline would be guaranteed to fair better considering the circumstances.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm so glad I decided to pay the extra this year and fly EI. I had a strong feeling that this issue wasn't just going to go away.
    Past experience would indicate that the shamrocks can have as many problems as the harps.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Every (and I mean every) flight I took with EI in the last 5 years had delays of at least 20 minutes.

Be sure to give the people a wave in the Ryanair flight that will likely be on time.

How would any other airline deal with network congestion, a lightning strike on an airports fuel supply system and the resultant mayhem any differently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bigar wrote: »
    Every (and I mean every) flight I took with EI in the last 5 years had delays of at least 20 minutes.

Be sure to give the people a wave in the Ryanair flight that will likely be on time.

EI have significantly superior on time performance at Dublin than FR.

Tenger wrote: »
    Past experience would indicate that the shamrocks can have as many problems as the harps.

Yup, but the Shamrocks are quiet at the moment, whereas all hell appears about to break loose at the Harps.

bigar wrote: »

Recently there has either been nothing in it, or Aer Lingus have been slightly better, in my experience. All the fecking about Ryanair are doing with bags seems to be delaying things too, and all these current delays are pushing me towards Aer Lingus for the time being.

That may change in 6 months, but AL are certainly better on the Dublin - London routes at the moment, which is what I fly most. Slightly more expensive yes, but I'm happy enough with that.

Actually one other thing, Ryanair pad their flights much more, so things are often 25 - 30 minutes early and I grant that. But I find when things run late, they run very late.... the inbound flight an hour late seems much more common.

Aer Lingus seem to have longer turnarounds and do slightly less flights so knock-on delays, whilst they do occur, aren't quite as horrendous as Ryanair. And you're often (not always I do admit) in a slightly nicer part of the airport to wait!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Actually one other thing, Ryanair pad their flights much more, so things are often 25 - 30 minutes early and I grant that. But I find when things run late, they run very late.... the inbound flight an hour late seems much more common.

Aer Lingus seem to have longer turnarounds and do slightly less flights so knock-on delays, whilst they do occur, aren't quite as horrendous as Ryanair. And you're often (not always I do admit) in a slightly nicer part of the airport to wait!!!

Yeah I find it mad, and ridiculous that some Dublin to Gatwick sectors with Ryanair have a block time 20-25 mins longer than Aer Lingus when it’s literally the exact same route!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

L1011 wrote: »

My experience has been the opposite. Perhaps I’ve been unlucky in my choice of flights.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »

My experience has been the opposite. Perhaps I’ve been unlucky in my choice of flights.
    Yeah I think officially in Ireland or Dublin EI are in the lead for OTP, it certainly were up to this summer season, it’s unclear how that’s all going so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

How would any other airline deal with network congestion, a lightning strike on an airports fuel supply system and the resultant mayhem any differently ?

Zero communication regarding our bags during the delay. I understand that Ryanair being the furthest from the baggage collection terminal, pay the least and are lowest priority I guess then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Zero communication regarding our bags during the delay. I understand that Ryanair being the furthest from the baggage collection terminal, pay the least and are lowest priority I guess then.

You must also consider that the crew themselves may not have had a clue! It was mayhem in Stansted that day, I'm not sure anyone knew what they were doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Ryanair Dublin - Bologna FR7169, delayed 3 hours tonight. Incoming flight on time. Not sure what happened, was it connected to these issues we're seeing this summer?

Both Italy and France on strike this weekend, it appears to not just be Ryanair suffering. Although there has been a large number of cancelled flights again the week.

27 cancellations today already.

76 yesterday.

79 on Saturday.

187 on Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My flight today is currently showing 5.5 hours delay. As it's nearly two hours before scheduled pushback still I expect that to lengthen

edit: they're blaming Spanish ATC "capacity issues", which should affect nearly every flight here (Porto) as basically only TATL and Domestic could avoid Spanish airspace at some point.

There ARE rolling delays here... of 10-20mins. One VY flight may be 90mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Are crews being sent on likely delay rotations with enough hours to cope ? Do the systems cope with this kind of thing at short notice

e.g. if you're off to Madrid and you know it'll likely be a 2 hour delay , do you send a crew with 4 hours scope . Probably not explaining this in the best way possible am i ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

edit: they're blaming Spanish ATC "capacity issues", which should affect nearly every flight here (Porto) as basically only TATL and Domestic could avoid Spanish airspace at some point.

They wouldn't be telling porkies now would they? A check of the AL flight status web showed the early Faro, Barcelona and Madrid flights all running on time or early. All operate through the Spanish sectors.

Advertisement