Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI membership

Options
  • 05-06-2018 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Jsut a quick question. When you join a club for the first time, to get your gui handicap from that club you have to play 3 rounds of golf on the said course, but does the person marking your card have to be a member of that club or can any player with a valid gui handicap mark your card as long as its on the course you will be joining? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I don’t think it matters, but it would be worth checking with the local club to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

Just went through the same thing recently Blue Bell, joined a new club and played 3 rounds over the course of the first week with my cousin who was a member of another club. Didn't know any members of the club I joined at the time and I just wanted to get my HC asap. Club had no problem with the cards being signed by a non member.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Golf 247

In my club we are told new members must have one card signed by a non friend like a former committee member.

Then again this is same club that also withdrew our Master Score Board service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golf 247 wrote: »
    In my club we are told new members must have one card signed by a non friend like a former committee member.

Then again this is same club that also withdrew our Master Score Board service.

that is stupid

come join our club
    will will appoint someone to play with you at a time that may or may not suit you and eventually you will get a handicap
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Seve OB wrote: »
    that is stupid

come join our club
    will will appoint someone to play with you at a time that may or may not suit you and eventually you will get a handicap
    :rolleyes:

Depends on the club. My home club required all 3 cards by a member whereas my brothers club just required cards signed by any GUI member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Depends on the club. My home club required all 3 cards by a member whereas my brothers club just required cards signed by any GUI member.

thats ok, i can live with that.
    if you are joining a club, more often than not, you are going to know someone
    but if you do know people, and you are not allowed play with them to get your card signed for handicap purposes, that is stupid for logistical reasons, but it also going to discourage a poor/beginner golfer who may be embarrassed in front of a stranger and would rather go out with a friend.

golf is a game of integrity. most players have it, a few don't.

clubs making such instructions, are not being fair to the integrity of the new players and their friends by making them play with ex committee members. that is really just saying, .......... we don't believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Seve OB wrote: »
    thats ok, i can live with that.
    if you are joining a club, more often than not, you are going to know someone
    but if you do know people, and you are not allowed play with them to get your card signed for handicap purposes, that is stupid for logistical reasons, but it also going to discourage a poor/beginner golfer who may be embarrassed in front of a stranger and would rather go out with a friend.

golf is a game of integrity. most players have it, a few don't.

clubs making such instructions, are not being fair to the integrity of the new players and their friends by making them play with ex committee members. that is really just saying, .......... we don't believe you

That's a bit much alright

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Blue bull

Thanks for all your replies. I suppose the best thing is run it by the new club and see whats their rules are. Thanks again for the replies. Happy golfing⛳⛳

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Good idea.

Best of luck with your golf and always remember, it’s jist a game we’re aupoosed to be enjoying playing!!

Advertisement