Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bumblebee

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would love to see this as a reboot of the entire franchise. Start from here and go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well I'm a massive G1 fan and that certainly tickled that itch

more like this please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Really surprised at the praise it's getting here. I thought with the 80's vibe it might bring back some mushy nostalgia but no. Great soundtrack alright.

It had no real 'moments' at all. Little humour, predictable fight scenes and very little tugging at the heart strings. So dull overall for me.

6/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Shred

Still fairly predictable and full of cheese but in a decent, wholesome and fun way.

Agreed.

I saw this last Friday and enjoyed it. I don't think they managed to capture the 80s vibe they were going for other than crowbarring approximately 100 songs from the decade into it, I also thought John Cena was completely bland. Overall it was a pretty entertaining flick though and thankfully a far more respectful treatment of the material than any of the horrible Bay ones (you can actually see what's happening in the fights here:eek:), I'm definitely interested to see where they go from here. 7/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I didnt bother with any trailers before hand and looking for a film to just go to break up the monotony of Christmas, it was either this or Aquaman, I was dreading the idea of Aquaman and went to Bumblebee as it was on earlier so suited better.

Went in with no expectations and enjoyed it.

Yes it was crammed full of 80s cliched moments to the max but it was down in an innocent enough way that it got away with it, without being eye rollingly stupid.

I seen the first 4 Transformer films, didnt bother finishing 4 fully and avoided the 5th so this was a welcome change to the usual Bay-plosion, fast panning, CGI fest films that came before it.

If they do a sequel and use this as a re-boot of the franchise of sorts, it would be on good stable ground and anything that re-writes history to absolve us of Bays films is a good thing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Went to see it with the kids the other day and enjoyed it. I assume you're supposed to ignore timelines and other stuff out if whack with the other films and assume it's a reboot rather than a prequel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It doesn't really commit to showing its hand on whether it's a reboot or prequel. There's an aesthetic nod to the Bayformers films (
    at the end of the film, Bumblebee swaps the VW beetle disguise for the vehicle at the start of Transformers 1
    ), but it feels more like its own beast - particularly as the robots themselves look like their cartoon versions instead of the chaotic mess from the Bayformers films.

It's different though isn't it
    Because at the end of Bumblebee Prime is already on earth in his classic form where as they all land on earth in the 1st transformers including Optimus who scans that truck with the flames as opposed to the GI in bumblebee he appears as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Its much better than any previous transformers movie by far, but that doesnt mean its a good movie, and IMO it is not, the effects were great, but everything else was crap.

I was disappointed walking out, and i originally had no intention of going, but went based on the good reports it was getting here... you bastards! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

nix wrote: »
    Its much better than any previous transformers movie by far, but that doesnt mean its a good movie, and IMO it is not, the effects were great, but everything else was crap.

I was disappointed walking out, and i originally had no intention of going, but went based on the good reports it was getting here... you bastards! :pac:
    There's always one :P

Seen it at the weekend and thought it was good. Miles ahead of the Bay movies, although they admittedly set a fairly low bar.

It felt like a soft reboot of sorts, given that
    Optimus appears at the end
    , hopefully there's a sequel.

To be honest, I got excited when Soundwave looked and sounded like Soundwave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Went to see this last night. Very low expectations before going in but I did enjoy it. It was definitely a case of less being more compared to the other **** shows that went before it (1st movie aside which was something new at the time).

The soundtrack is great and as a 40-something year old male it was great to see the classic forms of the Transformers being used (brought me right back to the cartoon and comic book tales). It's not a particularity original story (comparisons with ET, the Iron Giant and Pete's Dragon have already been made and they're pretty fair tbh) but this movie has it's own particular charm.

A solid 6.5 out of 9 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I went and seen this on Wednesday and really liked it.Loved the 80s soundtrack and the humour in it.
    Unfortunately there was also a lot of kids in the cinema and they were constantly going in and out. If you have can't avoid going to the toilet for 2 hours then don't go to the cinema or wear a nappy simple.
    Also the screening had sub tittles on for some reason which ruined some parts of the film. I intend to go and see it again as despite all that and some unruly little brat kicking my chair I enjoyed the film.
    I was ashamed after to see how filthy people can be. The cinema was a right mess after with popcorn, drink containers etc all over the seats and the floor. Disgraceful. Have people no respect anymore? I understand it could be a little dirty but this was just terrible.

Rant over.

I would give the film 8 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

AMKC wrote: »
    I
    I was ashamed after to see how filthy people can be. The cinema was a right mess after with popcorn, drink containers etc all over the seats and the floor. Disgraceful. Have people no respect anymore? I understand it could be a little dirty but this was just terrible.

I see this all the time. People are animals. Liffey valley for spiderverse was the worst I've seen in a while. The people in the row behind us had a crying baby and a toddler that was let roam around the cinema for the whole film. They brought their own food and afterwards it looked like they got everything that was left and threw it up in the air to spread it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wasn't expecting much but loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a lovely surprise!
    I have seen a couple of the other transformers films but not a huge fan.
    This was incredibly sweet, cared about the characters (especially bumblebee!) , some nice humour, you could actually tell what was happening in the fight scenes, loved the music, plus very little of Michael Bays leary sensibility.
    I thought looking at initial box office it wasn't going to do well, but seems to have plenty of staying power, word of mouth must be strong.
    Id happily watch a few more!

8/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Seen this today. Loved it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 kevin55

I am planning to watch it this week, After seeing so many good reviews about it and it's great that it's not like a transformer movie. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God f*cking damnit. I hate Hollywood audiences so much sometimes.

And if there's one thing worse than Michael Bay's methods, it's people trying to ape his style and failing (see Battleship, the TMNT reboots).

Hopefully someone in the chain has a word in the producers ear, and Bumblebee doesn't become the exception to the rule...

Read the article lads

• Advertisement

Read the article lads

I did? It made plenty of references to the positive reception towards the stronger characterisation and emotion, but even acknowledging some need to "bayify" things is disappointing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The headline is an accurate summary of the producer's statements in the article. He talks about learning the lessons of Bumblebee by making the next one a hybrid movie with more "Bayhem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's the fact that it's an acknowledgement that desire to maximize financial return means "bayhem" is a top priority going forward, despite the absence of same and strong character driven narrative being what made Bumblebee so good and moderately successful.

Bumblebee had plenty of action, but expect any follow up to now have encounters involving twice as many transformers in destructive playgrounds four times the size.

Not that they still can't be good films even if the action were a bigger priority, the major problem with Bay's later films were the terrible editing, incoherent action sequences, crap plots and cringe-inducing dialogue....not the actual amount of action, to be fair.

I don't know I'm probably the biggest hater of the bay movies , I think what they meant is to keep the characterization which I loved in Bumblebee and (my own reading into it) upping the stakes and adding more action ( which wouldn't be bad )

What's more worrying to me is the fact that they are still developing a sequel to the last knight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I thought it was very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm about 40 mins in and am giving up during the beach scene. Disclaimer I never really "got" or liked the Transformers movies.

Here the usual ****e blockbuster one line quips.

Its so twee. Yer one holding his face and calling him Bee. "Hide Bee" Gawk.

John Cena is baaaad here more than ever.

On a positive note the SFX are fantastic and as an 80's child some of the music and setting was ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I watched it last night and really liked it.

The first Transformers movie was great, but I couldn't even finish the last one. This movie had real heart, and not just robots punching each other. Hailee Steinfeld is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I wonder when Bumblebee 2 will be released. Honestly it is 4 years now since this came out. Paramount really should have had B2 out by now or at least be making it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement