Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why school closed this week??

Options
  • 05-06-2018 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I’m a little annoyed. I’ll try and ring school to find out however anyone else that has kids off this week might be able to give some insight?

My 6 year old is off from school this week. I assumed all schools were closed this week and that our Creche would take him full time as they normally do when schools closed. So I dropped him in this morning. Got a call at 8.30 from Creche on way to work to say he needs to be picked up as they will only take him for after school as his is only school closed. My wife is away this week. Luckily I can get my mother in law but she’s not too well so not something I really want to do but have to.

Does anyone know why some schools are closed this week so close to summer break at the end of this month?

It’s not first time this year school closed when others didn’t. This is a large well established school in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

All schools have to work the same number of days in the year.
    Some breaks are standardised (October, Christmas and Easter).

However all schools have 2/ 3 discretionary days that they can take at any point in the year. Maybe more if they returned to school in late August last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's swings and roundabouts. My sons school does not close this week but wraps up a week before everyone else!! It sounds a bit **** that the creche won't take him but at sane time that discussion should of been had previously with them. Not the day of his holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Both mine are in this week, school and Montessori

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mine is off until Thursday. From what we can tell, most parents didn't know until we received an email last week.

They didn't take any kind of proper mid-term back in May though, so we reckon they're just using up whatever discretionary days they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Every primary school opens for 183 days per year. The main holidays, Christmas and Easter, are set by the department. The other days are up to the school to arrange as best suits them. All days information would always be communicated to parents at the start of every school year.

It's a shame that you presumed the creche could take your child, but it is something that could have easily been mentioned and arranged before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Youngest is off since last Wednesday. Back in on Thursday. They have had this week off for the last few years. It really annoys me so close to the end of the school year. We got a note last week for days off next year. This week is apparently so parents can go on cheaper holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Was this not meant to be standardised a number of years ago where all schools would be off at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

whelan2 wrote: »
    Youngest is off since last Wednesday. Back in on Thursday. They have had this week off for the last few years. It really annoys me so close to the end of the school year. We got a note last week for days off next year. This week is apparently so parents can go on cheaper holidays...

No it's not.
    As above schools have a standard number of days they do. They also have Christmas and Easter holidays set by department. Their choice what to do with the rest.

What most principals do is keep a couple days hidden since the snow in 2010. These would be used for emergencies. If not used they'll create a mid term in the last term or finish up early. If used they will not. Harder to finish up early if you've a calender announced to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our school is open. There's a calendar at the start of the year. Standardisation doesn't seem to be a thing even now though.
    Did you not check with the minding service before dropping your child off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It’s not first time this year school closed when others didn’t. This is a large well established school in Dublin.

Surely you should have learnt from this experience and rang the creche and found out were you stood?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The last term of the year is Easter til the end of June.I imagine this is the 'mid term' break essentially.And the length of it depends on what days are left over.I would have thought the school would give you a calendar at the start of the year.
    I really don't think it's done with parents and cheaper holidays in mind, given it varies so much from school to school.Pity the creche couldn't be a bit more flexible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Was this not meant to be standardised a number of years ago where all schools would be off at the same time.

the Xmas and Easter hols are standardised, and the Autumn mid-term. For the other mid-terms the schools have discretion:
    https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0009_2017.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

cruizer101 wrote: »

Only October midterm, Christmas, Easter and part of Feb midterm are standardised. Schools decide their own calendar outside that once they open 183 days total. Of course plenty of notice should be given to parents - first week back at the very latest and ideally with book lists in Summer. Never heard of a school not doing that.

There are additional closures this year at shorter notice as in December the department announced two half day closures (can be combined) for child protection training and planning under new legislation. Though many schools have decided not to take them following the closures due to bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I am involved in setting the calendar at my kids school due to involvement in the parents association. This week is by far the most popular with parents as opposed to a week in may or February. It is up to the school but taking this week off massively cuts down on the number of kids being taken out of school in June so that parents can take a cheaper holiday. The week in may is very limited for holiday destinations with almost guaranteed good weather.
    The last survey carried out in our school for a week off was about 55% june, 30% feb and 15% may.
    Ultimately it is up to the Principal but most parents I know love it.

As for child care it is amazing that you would not have been able to see the calandar for the creche.

Advertisement