Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

He sounds like a bit of an imbecile (the twitter account holder) to be honest! It is like a cheap parody a/c! The guy probably has a shrine to Nicola Tallant and Paul Williams in his bog! And collects those Sunday world crime booklets that they give away every now and then!

SHE, she is an imbecile.
    She had a fascination to Graham ODywer a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

Suckit wrote: »
    I very much doubt it has anything to do with the Hutch-Kinahan feud. It is more likely to do with Pete Taylor and his goings on.

I guess that’s my point, his goings on has him linked to the Kinahans and if he is in fact in receipt of income for coaching mtk linked boxers He’s indirectly aligned himself with them and made himself a target. It does sound really dodgy stating to a paper that he can coach who he wants and was coaching the mtk boxers for free, then driving around in a flash sports car, doesn’t add up.

Again I reckon it’s indirectly linked to the feud as he is a high profile target for enemies of the Kinahans. Also if it’s not feud related what other gang would want to antagonise The Kinahans and shoot someone who is coaching their boxers and is possibly on their pay roll? Given their record I don’t see another gang crossing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Casey78 wrote: »
    You cyclists are hilarious. Ye think everything revolves around you and your pathetic mode of transport.
    How could you even prove a motorist did it on purpose anyway. Any Garda with a bit of cop on would laugh at you if you reported it.
    I'm laughing here even thinking about it.

Keep laughing, my friend. If it happened today, I'd have front and rear camera footage. There's a fair bet that the direction of the stream and the position and speed of the car would make the motorist's intent fairly clear.

When it happened the last time, I didn't have any camera running, but the Garda seemed to take it fairly seriously. I noted that the windscreen nozzle was pointing to the left, not at the windscreen, so that gave a fairly clear indication of intent. That and the fact that the car slowed when it came along side, and four young lads roared laughing at the time.

I guess the Gardai get lots of reports of crimes where the intent is not clear at the outset, but when the full story is pulled together, intent is fairly clear.

Does it make you feel big and clever to call cycling 'a pathetic mode of transport'? More people cycle in Dublin for their commute than come by Luas and DART combined. Is it still pathetic?
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/30/more-residents-commute-by-bicycle-than-by-luas-and-dart-in-dublin-city-and-suburbs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭dbas

SHE, she is an imbecile.

Thats another friutcake- she's not connected to that account. She just talks to herself on about ten accounts all day. Suppose we all need our hobbies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tomofson wrote: »
    It would make sense if the Hutches are starting to retaliate now, that a lot of kinahan gunmen are in custody.

I had a feeling they where just playing it sweet while the other crowd all got themselves arrested, then they where going to try something.

But a part of me thinks this is more of a personal thing, there is two main Hutch gunmen and they wouldn't miss their target like that, if it was either of those boys pete wouldn't have just been shot in the arm.

I understand they may have missed their number 1 in the regency, but that was only because he wasn't in the building, nothing to do with bad aim.

Playing it sweet? Most of them are dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Can a MOD please change the title of this thread to "A motorist squirted water at me on my bike"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can a MOD please change the title of this thread to "A motorist squirted water at me on my bike"

Imagine that was all you had to worry about in life?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

dbas wrote: »
    Thought I read that the van had been spotted in a few places that indicate it didnt go directly to ringsend.
    I'm speculating about the van as why wouldnt they burn it out? Also, by coincidence the van used in the jason molyneaux murder was found in ringsend and not burned out.

It might be strategic, dumping it in Ringsend. It's a five-minute walk from the city centre but there's also not a lot of CCTV around, so you can dump it without being caught on camera.

Also, the reduced outpouring regarding the innocent bystander isn't because we've become numb to innocent people being murdered; it's because Pete Taylor, a famous man, was the target. That's the story.

If the intended target was just some random knacker in a boxing club then there would be a lot more coverage and subsequent outrage over the poor man who was killed.

• Advertisement

We already have one of those, so you might want to merge instead of renaming.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057878507/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Hammer89 wrote: »
    If the intended target was just some random knacker in a boxing club then there would be a lot more coverage and subsequent outrage over the poor man who was killed.

A really decent bloke by all accounts..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Keep laughing, my friend. If it happened today, I'd have front and rear camera footage. There's a fair bet that the direction of the stream and the position and speed of the car would make the motorist's intent fairly clear.

When it happened the last time, I didn't have any camera running, but the Garda seemed to take it fairly seriously. I noted that the windscreen nozzle was pointing to the left, not at the windscreen, so that gave a fairly clear indication of intent. That and the fact that the car slowed when it came along side, and four young lads roared laughing at the time.

I guess the Gardai get lots of reports of crimes where the intent is not clear at the outset, but when the full story is pulled together, intent is fairly clear.

Does it make you feel big and clever to call cycling 'a pathetic mode of transport'? More people cycle in Dublin for their commute than come by Luas and DART combined. Is it still pathetic?
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/30/more-residents-commute-by-bicycle-than-by-luas-and-dart-in-dublin-city-and-suburbs/

Guards probably thought you were a crackpot and didn't want to upset you by telling you they have far more important things to be worried about that than some self righteous arsehole on a bike getting sprayed by a little window washer.
    Get a life ffs.
    Make sure btw to delete all the red lights you break, one way streets you cycle down the wrong way, pavements you cycle on before you hand in your "video evidence"

Fieldog wrote: »
    Imagine that was all you had to worry about in life?

:)

Cyclists are always complaining about something.

So if I were to spin up on a motorbike beside your open window and use a water-pistol to fire soapy water into your eyes and mouth while you're driving, would you honestly NOT call the Guards?

No. To be honest it would need to be something pretty serious for me to call the guards.

I volunteered as a first responder for 3 years and I saw the amount of time wasting that went on with the ambulance service. People calling ambulances with stomach ache and headache..

I wouldn't call any of them unless it was pretty much life or death tbh.

They need to be available to deal with stuff like the topic of this thread..

Guards probably thought you were a crackpot and didn't want to upset you by telling you they have far more important things to be worried about that than some self righteous arsehole on a bike getting sprayed by a little window washer.
    Not wanting to upset people generally isn't too high up on the Garda priorities when it comes to road traffic matters. Taking a formal statement and generating the formal paperwork that leads to a file being sent for assessment is a fairly significant step - but it's interesting to see how you apparently know more about the situation than me, the person who lived through it.

Just in case you're not fully understanding the situation, let me spell it out for you. Distracting and putting any road user out of control, and blocking their vision, even for a couple of seconds is potentially a very dangerous act. It could lead to a fall or a collision, and could result in a fairly serious injury.

And for what? Just to let a little bully who hides behind the wheel of mammies car show off to his mates at the expense of a vulnerable road user? Nah, sorry mate - but it's not going to happen.
    Make sure btw to delete all the red lights you break, one way streets you cycle down the wrong way, pavements you cycle on before you hand in your "video evidence"
    Can I take it that you never break a speed limit at all? Because it would be just a tad hypocritical of you to be whinging about cyclists and red lights if you're one of the 80%+ of motorists that breaks speed limits, wouldn't it?

Why don't you move on to 'road' tax and cycling on the pavement now, and see if you can get a line on the bs bingo card?

Lets-Play-cyclist-hating-comments-bingo.png
    Rennaws wrote: »
    No. To be honest it would need to be something pretty serious for me to call the guards.

I volunteered as a first responder for 3 years and I saw the amount of time wasting that went on with the ambulance service. People calling ambulances with stomach ache and headache..

I wouldn't call any of them unless it was pretty much life or death tbh.

They need to be available to deal with stuff like the topic of this thread..

The Gardai take a different view. They set up the TrafficWatch call centre to make it easy for people to report offending motorists:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/garda-traffic-watch-scheme-goes-nationwide-1.970962

If you can catch a gob****e like this case in the early days, there is a good chance that you'll be saving someone from a serious injury or worse down the line.

• Advertisement

The Gardai take a different view. They set up the TrafficWatch call centre to make it easy for people to report offending motorists:

Each to their own. I suppose I'm just old school.

I don't rat on people for not following the rules of the road.

If the guards catch them fair enough but i mind my own..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

This is actually very true.

He seemed like a really good man. A father and grandfather keeping fit before going to work and now he's dead with no outcry at all. We've become numb to it.

No outcry indeed. A few private whatsapp messages between friends in another country however...

Each to their own. I suppose I'm just old school.

I don't rat on people for not following the rules of the road.

If the guards catch them fair enough but i mind my own..

Does 'old school' means using language that most of us grew out of when we left school?

We have 3 or 4 people being killed on the road each week here, and many more maimed. The idea that endangering people on the road is someone else's problem is fairly primitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cyclist bashing stemming from the fact a keen cyclist is murdered, someone actually saying they wouldn't hold that against him. Boards just keeps finding that new low.

Not wanting to upset people generally isn't too high up on the Garda priorities when it comes to road traffic matters. Taking a formal statement and generating the formal paperwork that leads to a file being sent for assessment is a fairly significant step - but it's interesting to see how you apparently know more about the situation than me, the person who lived through it.

Just in case you're not fully understanding the situation, let me spell it out for you. Distracting and putting any road user out of control, and blocking their vision, even for a couple of seconds is potentially a very dangerous act. It could lead to a fall or a collision, and could result in a fairly serious injury.

And for what? Just to let a little bully who hides behind the wheel of mammies car show off to his mates at the expense of a vulnerable road user? Nah, sorry mate - but it's not going to happen.

Can I take it that you never break a speed limit at all? Because it would be just a tad hypocritical of you to be whinging about cyclists and red lights if you're one of the 80%+ of motorists that breaks speed limits, wouldn't it?

Why don't you move on to 'road' tax and cycling on the pavement now, and see if you can get a line on the bs bingo card?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/garda-traffic-watch-scheme-goes-nationwide-1.970962

If you can catch a gob****e like this case in the early days, there is a good chance that you'll be saving someone from a serious injury or worse down the line.

I'd say you're great craic on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Katy Taylor statement issued through the Irish Times
    “Following the horrific gun attack that took place in Bray Boxing Club early last Tuesday morning in which one man Bobby Messett was tragically killed and two others Ian Britton and my father Pete Taylor were seriously injured, there has been considerable public interest in all aspects of the event. However, for personal reasons as well as ensuring clarity in future stories that will inevitably be written, I would like to make the following statement -

“First and foremost, I would like to wish my most heartfelt condolences to the family of Bobby Messett for their tragic loss. I can’t imagine the despair or the sense of injustice they must be dealing with. I’m praying they know God’s comfort in the hard days ahead.

“For my Dad, I’m very thankful and relieved he made it through this horrific attack and is recovering well. I understand there is still a lot of uncertainty about the nature of the incident but I’m hoping the gardaill get to the bottom of it very soon.

“As many of you know, I have been somewhat estranged from my Dad for a number of years now. I’ve had little contact with him in the last three years and no contact or association whatsoever with Bray Boxing Club since 2015.

“I have been appalled by the misuse of my name and image during the reporting of this incident in the media coverage, it has been reckless and irresponsible, and a deliberate attempt to inappropriately leverage my name to sell a story. I urge the media to leave me, my Mum and other family members out of this story.

“Finally, to Bobby’s family: You didn’t deserve this heartache, I’m so sorry for your loss.”

Katie Taylor

June 7th 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Katie Taylor has issued a statement in which she understandably distances herself from the whole thing. Interestingly, she jtalks about "future stories that will inevitably be written". Sounds like there will be stories about Pete about to hit the papers.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/968995/?__twitter_impression=true

Does 'old school' means using language that most of us grew out of when we left school?

We have 3 or 4 people being killed on the road each week here, and many more maimed. The idea that endangering people on the road is someone else's problem is fairly primitive.

I have no issue with you calling the guards.

I choose not to.

I'd say you're great craic on a night out.

I'd say if that's the main barometer of success in your life, you might want to grow up a bit.

Very well written statement with Katie showing her usual class.

Feel very sorry for her being dragged into this.

I'd say if that's the main barometer of success in your life, you might want to grow up a bit.

You also sound like great craic. I'm guessing you're also a cyclist.

Her statement firmly and politely stops her being dragged into anything really. She is a true lady.
    Very noticeable that she went to the Irish times with that story. Probably the only paper that showed her the respect she deserves throughout all this. The star rag would have loved that story

PR people: "Throw in a bit about god and prayers there to make it look like she wrote it."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

SHE, she is an imbecile.

Crazy Russian lady?

• Advertisement

Crazy Russian lady?

The very one.
    Nutjob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Quite a shame for this to happen, but I think Pete was playing with fire when he started training the MTK guys.

Intesting to see where it will go from here, I think his brand is pretty much gone, not sure if he can keep the gym going with all this going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did anyone else read Katie Taylors statement in her voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did anyone else read Katie Taylors statement in her voice

Yeah, it took me Two hours. Ah no, I love Katie.

I'm guessing you're also a cyclist.

Classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Why do people insist on going off on random rants on things that are totally unrelated to the thread?

Tippex wrote: »
    Why do people insist on going off on random rants on things that are totally unrelated to the thread?

Yah i am also confused how a thread discussing something as serious as a murder has now become a cycling thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

It must have been infuriating for her to see her face plastered all over the front of the papers in connection with the shooting when she has had nothing to do with Pete Taylor for the past few years. I felt very sorry for her when I saw those pictures. That man has caused enough pain to Katie - and other members of his family - in the lead up to the Rio Olympics. Now that Katie has dusted herself off and picked herself up to have become so successful in the professional field, she should be left completely out of this incident involving her father. I'm delighted she has spoken out about the manner in which the media have so disgracefully used her image to leverage sales of their rags.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That statement from Katie was quite... cold and clinical I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Calhoun wrote: »
    Quite a shame for this to happen, but I think Pete was playing with fire when he started training the MTK guys.

Intesting to see where it will go from here, I think his brand is pretty much gone, not sure if he can keep the gym going with all this going on.

He was doing more than training these guys up. Got caught up in it all and was on their payroll. Brand new mustang to show for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

GiftofGab wrote: »
    He was doing more than training these guys up. Got caught up in it all and was on their payroll. Brand new mustang to show for it too.
    So they say alright

Brae100 wrote: »
    PR people: "Throw in a bit about god and prayers there to make it look like she wrote it."

I'd say her PR people were tearing their hair out every time a picture of Katie appeared with her father on the front page during the past few days! You couldn't blame them. It turns out that Pete Taylor seems to be quite the scumbag. The Gardaí have told him, apparently, that his life is still in danger.

That statement from Katie was quite... cold and clinical I thought?

And to the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

brooke 2 wrote: »
    And to the point.

The sense I got from it is sympathising with the family of the murder victim and clearly she wants nothing more to do with her father

GiftofGab wrote: »

I wasn't aware of that side of it but i do remember him years ago in Bray having a bit of a reputation.

If it is true i don't see how the country council can leave a public amenity in the hands of someone who is caught up in this lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Brae100 wrote: »

Was about to ask if she is contractually obliged to mention god every time she speaks? Has she got a sponsorship deal with him??

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I'd say her PR people were tearing their hair out every time a picture of Katie appeared with her father on the front page during the past few days! You couldn't blame them. It turns out that Pete Taylor seems to be quite the scumbag. The Gardaí have told him, apparently, that his life is still in danger.

They told him his life was in danger when he was in hospital after being shot. It is kind of obvious you are in danger if a bullet has hit you.

I heard today that Pete came from England to work in the arcades in Bray.

Bit off topic but why hasn't Katie been speaking to him for three years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did anyone else read Katie Taylors statement in her drone

FYP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement