Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bell peppers

Options
  • 05-06-2018 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

A free weeks ago I germinated a few bell peeps seeds I got from a shop bought pepper. I now have 4 nice healthy looking seedlings

What do you guys think m y chances are of getting fruit from them? I plan to put the in the ground in another week or 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I grew some in our conservatory (not really a conservatory, little room with perspex roof and large window) last year. Gets very hot in there. Fruit was really nice. Picked when it was green and firm. Tried to leave some to turn red but it just didn't happen and fruit started to soften and wrinkle.

Didn't do it this year. Might try some or have I left it too late?

Not sure how they grow outside but i know people do grow them in Ireland outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Wheety wrote: »
    I grew some in our conservatory (not really a conservatory, little room with perspex roof and large window) last year. Gets very hot in there. Fruit was really nice. Picked when it was green and firm. Tried to leave some to turn red but it just didn't happen and fruit started to soften and wrinkle.

Didn't do it this year. Might try some or have I left it too late?

Not sure how they grow outside but i know people do grow them in Ireland outside.

Sounds good. I don't really like the green peppers so I'd be hoping the fully ripen. Sure if I don't succeed it'll be an enjoyable experiment anyway.
    Us there a particular type of soil the like??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Are green and red peppers not different varieties?

as in green peppers aren't just red peppers that aren't ripe enough yet are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sounds good. I don't really like the green peppers so I'd be hoping the fully ripen. Sure if I don't succeed it'll be an enjoyable experiment anyway.
    Us there a particular type of soil the like??

As far as I remember I just used normal potting compost. They grow to between 1-2ft so have a largeish pot for the roots to grow.
    wexie wrote: »

as in green peppers aren't just red peppers that aren't ripe enough yet are they?

Green are just unripened. They then change to yellow, orange and red.

Just remembered we had a couple of yellow. Think they went soft too though so we didn't eat them. I think they need a long growing season to fully ripen. Think I'll leave it for this year.

You can also harvest the seeds from your peppers for next year.

I also grew tomatoes. They were so juicy. My Mam gave me a set this year with seeds but i think I've left it too late again. I've been busy growing sunflowers from the seeds I harvested last year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

wexie wrote: »

Green ones are unripe red ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Based on only sowing them in June, you are unlikely to get much if any peppers I would think..

Generally sown in Jan & Feb

Advertisement