Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to deal with change of Tenant

Options
  • 05-06-2018 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

My elderly Mum has a Rental Property. Tenants there 3 years. Not in RPZ. Tenants are Eastern European and are Mother, Daughter, Daughter's Boyfriend and Child.
    Pay rent on time, keep the place spotless, do their own DIY etc.
    Mother has new Partner and is moving in with him. At the moment Mother's name is only name on Lease.
    Daughter and Boyfriend want to take over Lease.
    My Mum is happy with that but she would like to increase the Rent slightly (€50).

What is the best way to deal with this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Tell them the rent is increasing. But do your due diligence on them as named tenants. Don't assume because Mammy was ok that the daughter will be ok when it's all on her.

It's a new lease is needed also, the mother should in theory be giving you proper notice for being there 3 years. Rest of family are licensees of the tenant not actual tenants

Get it all signed and in writing either way

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SusanC10 wrote: »
    New lease, new deposit, tbh. If they can't afford the deposit, get someone else in. I'm thinking if they don't have their own place, there could be a reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the_syco wrote: »
    New lease, new deposit, tbh. If they can't afford the deposit, get someone else in. I'm thinking if they don't have their own place, there could be a reason for this.

Quite normal to live as a family in a new country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It's a new lease is needed also,

Not necessarily, the mother could assign or sublet on her lease. I would be inclined to insist on subletting with the mother keeping up the payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

the_syco wrote: »

Pay rent on time, keep the place spotless, do their own D, they sound like model tenents suggesting on getting someone else just for this? And they say landlords are monsters 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks All.
    My Mum had a very difficult Tenant before this family so she is happy to keep these people. Better the devil and all that.

DaraDali wrote: »
    Pay rent on time, keep the place spotless, do their own D, they sound like model tenents suggesting on getting someone else just for this? And they say landlords are monsters 

But they are not the OP's tenants and currently they have no responsibility for the rent being paid or not. Why would you risk your house in a business relationship with strangers? You need to do your checks.
    Thanks All.
    My Mum had a very difficult Tenant before this family so she is happy to keep these people. Better the devil and all that.

Understood OP, but bear in mind. Just because the mother as tenant owns up to her responsibilities definitely does not mean the children and partners are the same. So I would not automatically accept them unless they can prove they can pay the rent and the responsibility that comes with. Otherwise you are risking a "ah you know our mum and us, we are good for it, we'll get it for you next month" situation. They are not your mums friends they are (to be) her tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks All. I am going to have another chat with my Mum. So far she has asked for proper written notice from the Mother and Work References from the Daughter and Boyfriend.
    The Daughter and Boyfriend do not have Landlord References as this house is the only house that they have lived in in Ireland.
    My Mum personally knows the Daughter's Employer so she can verify that.

Doesn't sound so bad so. But don't cut corners. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DaraDali wrote: »
    Thus far, they have not being tenants; rather people who have lived in the house. As I have said, if they have the money for a deposit, and can afford the rent, grand. If not, don't take any sob storys, nor promises of payment at a later date. Upfront, or not at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement