Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What washing powder does Una Mulally use?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Who is worth about twenty million quid ...
    He has nothing going for him at all except being tall (well he's got her).
    Why isn't he the after hours hate figure instead of Una?

He got quite a bit of flak on the Belfast Rape Trial page.

But I suspect he does not get a lot of hate because he is a politician.
    And we know that they are all self serving arseholes that are full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

He got quite a bit of flak on the Belfast Rape Trial page.

But I suspect he does not get a lot of hate because he is a politician.
    And we know that they are all self serving arseholes that are full of ****.
    But Una Mullally has no power ; isn't that well paid and her hyper feminist ramblings are designed to get people talking. She is a much much more subtle version of Kevin Myers.

But Una Mullally has no power ; isn't that well paid and her hyper feminist ramblings are designed to get people talking. She is a much much more subtle version of Kevin Myers.

Power is not the issue here. It is the reach of the platform that Una has to broadcast her hyper feminist views that some people have an issue with.

And a lot of people thought Myers was an insufferable arsehole as well.
    Just as a lot of people, myself included, can't stand Ian O'Doherty.

Both have been hammered on Boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't agree with everything she has to say, but I think she's a better and fairer journalist than what most people on here are prepared to admit.
    At least Una has the courage of her convictions. For that I admire her. Even if I don't agree with everything she writes.

The above. I would agree with little enough that she writes, but I find her a far better, more considered, more thought provoking, more adult writer than the other AH thread subject Louise O'Neill. The latter is more a teenager still ranting at the world that doesn't quite fit what she thought it would be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Una Mullally is absolutely insufferable. She is indignant at everything and the ultimate whiner. She also clearly has the biggest of all chips on her shoulder as regards men.

Now I know by wading in this thread and criticising her, i will be pidgeon holed as some sort of woman hating paedo - but no. I saw a thread about Mullally, and i'm giving an opinion. Frankly, I dont like anyone who is so self righteous as she and I don't like people ramming their 'correct' opinions down my throat in such a virulent tone.

Having read the thread, I know evidence will be demanded of me, so behold some of the annoying headlines that encapsulate some of her more obnoxious recent articles.

*Young women already being written out of the story of repeal. The victory belongs to everyone but any analysis that does not place at its centre the feminist, women-led movement is bereft

- Completely unnecessary article. Where the bad men claiming that they 'won' the repeal vote, or what? Why not celebrate the fact that Irish society came together on this vote in a huge majority for womens rights? Instead it's 'women, won it!'. Reveals her mindset and her agenda.

*Una Mullally: Decency of Irish not limited to liberal Dublin

- Insulting headline. Dublin is hardly some eutopia of righteousness. Theres all types of people and they live in all types of places throughout Ireland. I know the article is intended to get at this point, but there is also the implication that people from outside Dublin were understood to be conservative, simple minded farming folk. They arent as cool as the Dublin folk and so tis a great surprise they could be possessed of the cool liberal attitudes of Mullally and co.

*Ireland’s cervical cancer shame shows women are still second-class citizens

- The cervical smear scandal was a disgrace that upset all right thinking individuals. It was clear to all once this blew up that changes need to be made and investigations undertaken. But no, 'women are second class citizens', and men are obviously first class and dont care about women getting cancer.

*Una Mullally: Rugby bodies must regain trust after rape trial. Disgusting WhatsApp messages and antics have eroded public respect for sportsplayers

- i mean... what? 'Rugby bodies must regain trust' - how is it their fault? Ulster and Ireland actually told them that they wont play for them again and had them oack their bags. The relevant rugby bodies dont tolerate that behaviour.

*Decent men are despondent. We need to put misogyny on trial. We need men to step up and challenge their own behaviour and the behaviour of their peers.

- These kind of arguments are just ridiculous. There are all types of men and we dont all subscribe to the same club with a clear code. Im not friendly with any men who display real misogynistic attitudes. It's just not kosher.

*Louise O’Neill: ‘The hardest place to maintain my feminism is in a relationship with a straight man’.

- Nonsense article on a morons book

*Male sexual dysfunction can no longer be ignored. Teaching women how to avoid predatory behaviour fails to address the core issue

- meh.

Finally, just because a man thinks a particular woman is a pain in the ass, does not mean that man is a woman hating misogynist. It means he thinks that a particular woman is a pain in the ass.

The long suffering, lemon sucking head on her.

Post of the day right there, hats off.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can we stop quoting the picture please?

°°°°°

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Can we stop quoting the picture please?

Edited my reply, hope it stops the nightmares.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

nullzero wrote: »
    Edited my reply, hope it stops the nightmares.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

she'd no time for tom mcgurk disagreeing with open borders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I disagree with most of the views of Una, Fintan O'Toole, and Breda O'Brien.

But I read their columns every week as they challenge my world view. It's a sign of a good newspaper if you ask me.

Reading only columnists you agree with is boring and can be dangerous. It gives you a warped sense that your opinion has to be right because every journalist you read agrees with you.

Reading Una's pieces reminds me that we are not all the same in society. That there are others out there like Una, Fintan and Breda and that their vote is as equal as mine. It's a sobering thought.

I don't agree with everything she writes, but at least she can write well unlike the subject of the other thread.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah i gave up on it when they started charging and my free articles allowance goes on property stuff out of curiosity.
    So i haven't read the columnists mentioned here

I'm starting to find that all the opinion pieces are subscriber only. So I don't get to read them.

If they actually were the After Hours MRA’s could well explode with rage. And the two of them out without a male chaperone too!

Didn't one recently interview the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

:D:D:D

Her "debating" style is pure 13-year-old-spoiled-only-child.

The funniest part of this thread is the number of people who seem to believe she is a good journalist. No wonder journalism in this country is in the state it is if her repetitive, derivative, hectoring output is considered good journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Gravelly wrote:
    The funniest part of this thread is the number of people who seem to believe she is a good journalist. No wonder journalism in this country is in the state it is if her repetitive, derivative, hectoring output is considered good journalism.

I don't know if people are saying she's a good journalist, but more so that she's a good writer. There's a difference.

I don't know if people are saying she's a good journalist, but more so that she's a good writer. There's a difference.

She's neither though.

• Advertisement

Gravelly wrote:
    She's neither though.

That's a subjective view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Persil, it's gotta be Persil, or Daz, maybe Daz

That's a subjective view.

True, but good writing usually has some basic prerequisites - originality say, maybe a well-constructed argument or two, an ability to see beyond the writers prejudices etc. Una's output lacks these, and so much more, that I cannot see how anyone could seriously describe it as good in any real sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

She's a music journalist I think. And she also writes opinion pieces. What people are complaining about are her opinion pieces. So journalism probably doesn't come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Gravelly wrote: »
    She's neither though.

I'm a writer and I think Una Mullally writes well. I think her Opinion pieces are more Opinionated pieces though so I don't really rate her as a journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Fintan the Tool

fintanotoole-200x300.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I'm a writer and I think Una Mullally writes well. I think her Opinion pieces are more Opinionated pieces though so I don't really rate her as a journalist.

I disagree. A lot of the words she uses she doesn't know the meaning of and she like the old word salad tbh.

Though I suppose that's a lot better than Fintan O Toole referencing Beckett or Shaw in a completely pointless or irrelevant context just so everyone knows he's read Beckett or Shaw because isn't it obvious that only clever people read Beckett or Shaw.

Look we get it, you read Waiting for Godot. It doesn't make you intelligent you clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Definitely Ariel, today's feminists love being pandered to.

https://twitter.com/ArielIndia/status/707141947362705408

Pretty bad to accuse a cancer survivor of being dirty.

I'm commenting on her as a journalist and opinion piece writer. I think your post is pretty nasty.

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess, but without addressing the points I made about her writing (derivative, lacking in coherent argument, inability to see beyond her prejudices), I think it's more a case that you like her writing, rather than that she writes well (and there's nothing wrong with that - my favorite author is Stephen King, but I wouldn't try to argue that he is on a par in terms of writing with Salman Rushdie or Ian McEwan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Who is she?

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess, but without addressing the points I made about her writing (derivative, lacking in coherent argument, inability to see beyond her prejudices), I think it's more a case that you like her writing, rather than that she writes well (and there's nothing wrong with that - my favorite author is Stephen King, but I wouldn't try to argue that he is on a par in terms of writing with Salman Rushdie or Ian McEwan).

I totally agree that she doesn't argue well in her articles, or bring much balance to them. But I think she is a good 'writer', which is different I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

stoneill wrote: »
    Who is she?

A newspaper columnist who has the audacity to sometimes write about female issues and not muslim gangs in Rotherham, so you know she needs a few hundred posts here in After Hours slaughtering her.

I totally agree that she doesn't argue well in her articles, or bring much balance to them. But I think she is a good 'writer', which is different I suppose.

I'd find it difficult to separate the two, but if you enjoy her writing, you enjoy it, and nothing wrong with that.

A newspaper columnist who has the audacity to sometimesalways write about that female issues are the only issues and all the world troubles are the fault of white males not muslim gangs in Rotherham, so you know she needs a few hundred posts here in After Hours slaughtering being honest abouther.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

FYP

Actually she doesn't write just about women's issues which you would know if you actually read any of her columns instead of being just blindly outraged about how everyone is against white men.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually she doesn't write just about women's issues which you would know if you actually read any of her columns instead of being just blindly outraged about how everyone is against white men.

For my sins I have read many of her columns. In fairness you're correct - she doesn't JUST write about "women's issues" she often writes about Trump (very often actually) and she occasionally writes what could be optimistically termed "music journalism" - usually about how herself and her friends were really super cool at some gig or other. I'm not sure where you are getting "blind outrage" from (or what it even means) as I'm getting a great laugh out of people like your good self pretending Una is anything other than a third rate self-referential social media warrior who landed a handy gig trotting our her many opinions in what used to be a newspaper. More power to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

A newspaper columnist who has the audacity to sometimes write about female issues and not muslim gangs in Rotherham, so you know she needs a few hundred posts here in After Hours slaughtering her.

Wah wah wah. The big bad nazi, alt-right, misogynist, patriarchal bastards on boards don’t like someone on my “side” :rolleyes:

°°°°°

What is a female issue?
    In an era of increasing equality surely we should be discussing human issues.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wah wah wah. The big bad nazi, alt-right, misogynist, patriarchal bastards on boards don’t like someone on my “side” :rolleyes:

Believe me, I really don't have a side. Just gets a bit repetitive and boring with the same old faces and the same handful of re-regged accounts feel the need to indulge themselves in the Two Minutes Hate anytime anyone who they deem to be liberals or SJWs or snowflakes or whatever the latest pop-slur is, has something to say.

But sure whatever keeps you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

nullzero wrote: »
    What is a female issue?
    In an era of increasing equality surely we should be discussing human issues.

Females are humans. Female issues are human issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

meeeeh wrote: »

Ah you're back. Any links to those Neo Nazi 'Slavic' posts that me and my friends made (whatever that means) or are you just gonna ignore that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Believe me, I really don't have a side. Just gets a bit repetitive and boring with the same old faces and the same handful of re-regged accounts feel the need to indulge themselves in the Two Minutes Hate anytime anyone who they deem to be liberals or SJWs or snowflakes or whatever the latest pop-slur is, has something to say.

But sure whatever keeps you happy.

That's a little bit ironic.

Is there a full video of this?

I'd like to see if she actually addresses McGurks points because in that clip she just leads off with emotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I find her too much - but to be honest the Irish Independent seams to have gone even more extreme - forget equality today - women have now become more equal than men.

ps I am an equalist - where everyone should be paid the same based on ability not gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah you're back. Any links to those Neo Nazi 'Slavic' posts that me and my friends made (whatever that means) or are you just gonna ignore that again?

Never mind, I found one.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Personally think that's ill informed. Muslims don't have a singular country to go back to for starters. Could be American, Nigerian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Irish, British, French and so on and so forth. There's over a billion Muslims in the world, many of whom are born and reared in Europe and have probably never been outside of it.

''They cause nothing but headaches''. The extremist d*ckheads yep but on the whole? Can't agree there partner. I've personally never been given a single problem from one Muslim person to my knowledge. Lived beside a family for 10 years and they were as nice as you could get. Great neighbours and a bit of craic too to be honest. Actually, gonna quote that again, 'they' cause nothing but problems...that's actually a bit nuts. Extremists, yes. Hardliners, yes. The everyday working man here in IBM or driving a taxi or something, can't agree. There's a middle ground to be had here. I despise these scumbags who carry out atrocities. I don't have a thing against a fella who provides for his family and happens to pray 5 times a day and fasts in the Summer. You letting these toerags make you turn on every Muslim in the world is actually a victory for them.

I'm utterly ashamed of this alt-right Islamophobic neo-nazi rant I posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

That kind of is a female issue to be honest.

No it isn't. It's an issue for anyone interested/concerned with large scale crime, police failings, cultural trends, government oversight.

Calling it women's issues is like saying the drug problem only concerns junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Ramona Chilly Peddle

But but more male headliners at music gigs is far worse , una told us so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Fairy non bio

• Advertisement
Advertisement