Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are only three things I need in life: food, water, and compliments.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I too tried the Fulfil Hazelnut today out of curiosity.

Nicest of the Fulfil bars and one you'd eat as a normal bar and not just because PROTEIN GAINZ.

But it's no Star Bar, which is the Gold Standard, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Reminds me of Ferrero Rocher.

Ferraro do an amazing range of bars over in Italy. Can’t find them here in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I miss ferrero
    the fulfil hazelnut is nice.
    the aldi protein bars are lovely and dairy free i think, but they're like 10g protein 15g sugar haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Thats quite a claim. In the name of science I think im going to have to do my own research on this

Just had one. Not a million miles from a chomp bar. Prob the nicest protein bar I’ve had in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Leg Day

Trap Bar Deadlift (125kg) - 3x5;5x3
    Leg Press (140kg) - 5x5
    Lying Hamstring Curl (36kg) - 3x8
    Single Leg seated Leg Curl (45kg) - 3x8

I've noticed that I don't enjoy high volume on compound leg movements so I have been spreading the reps over more sets to achieve the same overall volume.

I have been reading some stuff from Eric Helms on volume and the consensus seems to be that as long as you hitting the overall volume targets, the exact breakdown of sets & reps is not overly important.

Tried to focus on pushing breadth downward and driving through the heals on the Trap Bar Deadlifts. These felt much smoother than usual and it felt like both legs were evenly contributing. Usually I feel a slight imbalance on my left hand side.

Thought of the Day

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Protein Bar Review
    Trek Protein Cocoa Chaos 55G
    Described as High Protein Fruit, Nut, Oat & Crunch Bar containing Cocoa

Very good taste from the Cocoa powder and Dates. The Soya Crunchie bites add a nice texture. I liked how they split the bar into 3 chunks too, like they do with a Yorkie. The ingredient list is impressive with all natural ingredients. Goes very well with tea/coffee. At 10g of protein per bar, and 22g sugar, I'm not sure these are worth it as a treat though. (6.5/10)

• Advertisement

Sunday - Upper Day

Needed a break from the surroundings of the gym today so I headed to Herbert Park in the morning.

The outdoor exercise equipment they have is excellent. Seen plenty others making use of it too.

I did the following circuit (X10 times)

- 5 Pull-Ups
    - 5 Dips
    - 5 Leg raises
    - 5 Chin Ups
    - 1 lap of the soccer pitch at a slow jog pace.

The aim for the session was to just enjoy being outside.
    Enjoyment was 10/10. Finished off doing Joe DeFrancos Limber 11 mobility work for 20 mins. First time I have tried an outdoor workout in ages. Will definitely be adding in more of these as a treat.

Treat for the Day

- Packet of Pink and White Marshmallow sandwiches and tub of Low fat cottage cheese from Lidl on my way home. This is a delicious treat. Used the Wafer sandwiches as a spoon for the cottage cheese. Full meal has ~40g Protein, <35g sugar and under the 500 calorie mark.

Thought of the day

Pura Vida - "Simple life"

Leg Day

Tried to change up the exercises today by swapping Barbell Squats for Single leg Bulgarian Split squats. Also focused on single leg isolation work

Trap Bar Dead lift (125kg) - 8x3
    Single Leg Bulgarian Split Squats (22.5kg dumbells) - 4x5
    Lying Hamstring Curl (Single Leg) (20kg) - 3x5
    Seated Leg Curl (45kg) 3x8

Bulgarian split squats went well. First time in a while doing these. Focused on keeping the upper body tall, not letting the knee drift too far forward and driving through the heel. Very enjoyable.

Thought of the day

I'm considering buying a standing tub freezer to simplify meal preparation. I watched a video at the weekend where the guy was ex-military and would prepare a months worth of meals and freeze them.

My rough plan would be to buy 3 large Containers (~3L each)
    This would allow me to make:
    - 3kg Bolognese
    - 3kg vegtable stew
    - 3kg chickpea curry

I'll have to do some more research on whether others have had success using a similar method before comitting to it.

If you freeze 3L together then you have to defrost 3L together and then you're faced with the issue of the 'shelf life' of what you've defrosted.

It's no less handy to portion them off in smaller containers to be honest.

If you freeze 3L together then you have to defrost 3L together and then you're faced with the issue of the 'shelf life' of what you've defrosted.

It's no less handy to portion them off in smaller containers to be honest.

Yeah, I think you're right. I had ruled out the individual portioning option as I figured it would lead to a build up of tupperware and washing up.

The more I read about bulk cooking the more I like it. I'll be switching jobs soon and I don't want a lack of time to be an excuse for letting things slip on the food side.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you're right. I had ruled out the individual portioning option as I figured it would lead to a build up of tupperware and washing up.

The more I read about bulk cooking the more I like it. I'll be switching jobs soon and I don't want a lack of time to be an excuse for letting things slip on the food side.

The Tupperware washing isn't that big a deal. I portion half of what I cook in double portions and the rest in single portions cos some days only one of us would be having one. It's the only thing that needs to be washed outside of a plate and cutlery so you wouldn't exactly be overloaded.

The bulk cooking is a real time saver. Takes me maybe 60-75 mins at the weekend to prep and cook.

• Advertisement

The Tupperware washing isn't that big a deal. I portion half of what I cook in double portions and the rest in single portions cos some days only one of us would be having one. It's the only thing that needs to be washed outside of a plate and cutlery so you wouldn't exactly be overloaded.

The bulk cooking is a real time saver. Takes me maybe 60-75 mins at the weekend to prep and cook.

Thanks for the tips and good to hear you've been having some luck with it.

I've done the whole "Meal Prep" thing in the past where you cook twice per week and store in the fridge and it worked well but still requires some thought and preperation.

What I've been reading online would be taking it to another level. Cooking ~1 month's worth of food. That is where the Chest freezer would come in to play.

Cardio

Fast walk on treadmill (7.5 incline - 7.2 speed) - 45 mins
    Swimming (10 x 18m lengths) - ~15 mins. Using the swimming snorkel for this. I am conscious that the snorkel is avoiding the issue of breathing while swimming rather than addressing it but I am enjoying using it, so for that reason alone, I am happy to stay using it.

Thought of the day

Comparison is the death of joy.

Push Day

Incline Dumbell Bench Press (32.5kg db's) - 2x4;3x3
    Shoulder Presss machine (71kg) - 5x5
    Dumbell Pullovers (35kg DB) - 3x5
    Dips (3x5)
    Ab wheel roll-outs (4x5)
    Rocking Hollow holds (3x8)

Very pleased to get through that. Sleep has been way off what it should be for the past few nights with the clammy weather. Not going to complain though, I see plenty of lads in the gym at 6am who have young children and still show up on a few hours sleep year-round.

The rocking hollow holds have been a nice addition. I notice that I have a good bit of imbalance as I will sway from left to right on them. Hopefully this irons itself out after a few more sessions with them.

Thought of the day

You only know what is enough when you have done too much

Leg Day

Trap Bar dead lift (125kg) - 2x4;1x3
    Single leg Bulgarian split squats (22.5kg dumbells)
    Lying leg curls - (30kg) - 3x5
    Seated leg curl (80kg) - 3x5
    Back extensions - 3x8
    Joe Defranco's Limber 11 routine to finish.

Not much energy going into this session with the humid weather but surprised myself with how much I got through.

I'm starting to enjoy the Bulgarian split squats. I can feel to correct muscles working a lot better than in the barbell squats.

Thought of the day

Other exercises develop single powers and muscles, but dancing deadlifting :D embellishes, exercises, and equalizes all the muscles at once.

Jean Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I'm starting to enjoy the Bulgarian split squats.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Saying I am "enjoying them" is probably getting a little carried away. It's probably the fact that I can do these as an alternative to back squats is where the enjoyment is coming from.

Sunday - Push Day

Had hoped to make it out to Herbert Park for an outdoor workout but the rain put an end tho those plans.

Highlight of the workout was the music they had on in the gym. Linkin Park, Eminem - Lose yourself and some classic dance tunes to round it off.

Dips (BW) - (4x5)
    Shoulder Press Machine (71kg) - 5x5
    Chest Press Machine (Pin 9) - 3x5

Treat of the day

Lots of homemade popcorn

100g with a savory mix of dried parmesan, Chilli powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.

100g with salt and honey

Leg Day

Trap Bar Deadlift (125kg) - 5x5
    Single Leg Bulgarian Split squats (22.5kg dumbells) - 4x5
    Pull - ups (+15kg) - 5x3
    Back Extensions (3x5)
    Lying Hamstring curl (3x5) @36kg
    Seated Leg Curl (3x8 @80kg

Happy with the Bulgarian split squat form. Will look at making these my primary leg exercise and increase the volume over the coming sessions.

Thought of the day
    Any workout which does not involve a certain minimum of danger or responsibility does not improve the body - it just wears it out.

Upper Body Day

Dumbell Bench Press (32.5kg DB's) - 1x5;4x3
    Shoulder Press Machine (77kg) - 5x5
    Pull-Ups (+15kg) - 5x3
    Chin Ups (+15kg) - 2x5
    Close grip (Palms facing each other) (BW) 2x7
    V-Bar Pulldown (120kg) 3x5

I seem to be drifting away from the Push-Pull-Legs split that I had intended to follow. I find myself making up the workout as I go at the moment. It doesn't really bother me though. Looking back through my posts, I seem to be doing a decent variety of exercises and my main aim is long term consistency rather than hitting strength numbers or appearance.

The machine shoulder press increased in weight today which I was very pleased with. I hope to switch over to dumbbell shoulder press in the coming weeks to see if the strength transfers over. I was using 22.5kg DB's the last time I did seated shoulder press so hopefully this will increase to 25kg.

Thought of the day

When working out, length is not a substitute for intensity.

Bill Loguidice

Food of the day

I've been having a bag of these as a treat each day - https://www.google.ie/search?q=pufuleti&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE793IE793&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG-OPVxMvcAhXFCewKHeX3AYUQ_AUICigB&biw=1147&bih=554

I will add a sachet of Canderel sweetner and salt to give them a bit more flavour. High volume and fairly low calories. Also work well when dipped in yogurt.

Swimming

40 lengths in ~20 mins (18m pool) using Speedo centre snorkel.

The snorkel has been a game-changer for the swimming. It eliminates all of the frustration of trying to focus on breathing technique and it means I get some cardio benefit from the swimming.

Thought of the day

Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.

Lee Haney

• Advertisement

Leg Day

Single Leg Bulgarian Split Squats (25kg DB's) - 5x5
    Lying Leg Curl (36kg) - 4x5
    Seated Leg Curl (80kg) - 3x8
    Back extensions - 3x6

Very pleased to have the Bulgarian Split squats moving up in weight and volume. They gas me out like no other exercise but I feel they are more effective for me than Barbell squats. I feel the leg muscles working a lot more. I find the Barbell Back squats to be an all-out grind rather than targeting the muscles that should be doing the work.

I find straps are excellent for the Split squats. They mean I don't have to focus on gripping the dumbells and can focus full attention on driving through the heel and keeping the leg stable.

Food of the day

Bank Holiday cakes in work
    - Slice of Carrot Cake
    - Slice of raspberry, coconut and cream slice

Very pleased to have the Bulgarian Split squats moving up in weight and volume. They gas me out like no other exercise but I feel they are more effective for me than Barbell squats. I feel the leg muscles working a lot more. I find the Barbell Back squats to be an all-out grind rather than targeting the muscles that should be doing the work.

If your back squats are an all-out grind, then drop back the weight a little and make sure you're doing it with proper technique.

And you tend to feel split squats more because they're a little more focussed on glutes and quads whereas the back squat, being a compound movement, recruits a lot more muscle so you''' be less conscious of just your legs.

Big fan of the Bulgarian split squats. The theory as opposed to having to do them...

Thanks for the tips!

Have to agree with you on the theory of doing Bulgarian splits rather than the application. It takes a lot of mental energy to get in the zone to do them.

My rough thinking was that if I combined Leg press, Single leg bulgarian split squats and trap bar deadlifts, I could bypass the need to do Barbell back squats on a regular basis.

I'll try getting back to the Barbell back squats at a lower weight to see how they go. I have been doing mobility work for months with the sole aim of getting back barbell squatting so it would be a shame not to get some payoff for it.

Workouts over the weekend

Outdoor workout

- 20 mins slow jog
    - Some hanging exercises (taken from Ido Portal)

Upper Body workout

- Shoulder Press Machine (77kg) - 5x5
    - Shoulder Press (25kg DB's) - 0x0:confused::mad:
    - Pull-Ups (+15kg) - 8x3
    - Chin-Ups - 2x7
    - Swimming (x40 lengths) using snorkel

Massive learning here on the Shoulder Press. I was hoping that the improved performance on the Shoulder Press Machine would transfer over to the dumbells. ~6 weeks ago I was comfortably using 22.5kg dumbells. I then transferred over to just doing the Shoulder press machine to mix things up. I was hoping that the strength increase on the Shoulder press machine would transfer over

It seems so obvious with the benefit of hindsight. Machines not working stabilization muscles etc. Lesson learned. I'll be ditching the machines and moving on.

Today - Leg Day
    - Trap Bar Deadlift (125kg) - 5x5
    - Single Leg Bulgarian Split Squats (25kg) - 4x5
    - Leg Press Machine (100kg) - 6x5
    - Wide grip lat pulldown (120kg) - 4x5
    - V-Bar Pulldown

I decided to add in the pulldowns as I find that the Trap bar Deadlifts take so much out of my back that I can't do a back day workout the following day.

Very happy with all of the leg exercises. Kept the volume low. I find that adding in isolation work at the end of the workout "takes out more than it puts in". Skipping them really helps speed up the recovery.

Food

Bought a hand blender at the weekend. Made a few soups with it and was very impressed. Looking forward to experimenting with a few soup recipes over the coming weeks

Push Day

- DB Bench Press (30kg DB's) - 6x5
    - Dips (3x5)
    - Seated Chest Press machine (Pin 9) - 3x5
    - Ab-Wheel roll-outs - 5x5
    - Rocking hollow holds - x5x

Dropped back to the 30kg Db's as the 32.5kg DB's were an all out grind and I reckon an injury was just around the corner.

Quick check-in with myself on what my daily routine looks like for each area.

I am conscious that I am very fortunate at the moment. Not a lot of effort required to hit the below as I have plenty time on my hands. It's the summer, work has been quiet, and I've very few commitments. That will all be changing in the coming months as I switch jobs and that will require living in a hotel for a month so will be interesting to see how things progress.

Exercise

- Gym has been very consistent recently.
    - 20 min at walk at lunch time

Food

- Every day is almost identical.
    This is definitely not for everyone but here is what I eat on a typical day.
    I know I will have less control over my food over the coming months so I'm hoping to start batch cooking food and freezing it.

At the moment, this is what I'll eat more or less each day

- 100g oats
    - 750g Red kidney beans
    - 5 cans of sardines in Brine/Tomato Sauce with a few stock cubes added and gravy granules in boiling water.
    - 1kg Brocolli
    - 3 pieces of different fruit
    - 5 tablespoons of cocoa (mixed in hot water and milk)
    - 1 50g pack of corn puffs
    - 1 Aldi Ice-pop

I guesstimate it at ~3500 cals

Relaxation

- 15 mins body scan meditation. (Focus on a body part, tense, and then relax)
    - 10 min Sauna each day
    - Daily gratefulness list (write out 3 items before bed)
    - 1 min ice cold shower each morning

Delighted to be back doing the meditation consistently. I've carved out a place for it in the morning which is what worked for me when I was doing it well in the past.

Sleep
    - Aiming for 8 hours each night

What's been working?

- I take 1 kalms tablet and 1 5-HTP tablet an hour before bed
    - Try to stay away from phone close to bed. This has been tough. I use the Twilight app on the "Bed reading" mode which is a step in the right direction.
    - Installed blackout blinds a few weeks back.
    - Taking a warm shower an hour before bed

Pull Day

- V-Bar Pulldown (120kg) - 3x5
    - Seated compound row - (84kg) - 4x5
    - Wide grip Pulldown (120kg) - 4x5

Kept it simple and all done in less than 20 mins.

Heavy enough flu on my chest for the past few days. Happy to get through the workout and out the other end.

Thought of the day

"If it is to be, it is up to me"

Weekend Workout

Back home on the farm. ***Clutching at straws here - Counting the below as exercise***

- Shoveling Barley (x20 reps)
    - Getting up and down off the tractor (x25 reps)
    - Bouncing up and down on the seat of the tractor (Dodgy springs) (x200 reps)
    - Rolling Straw bales (100 metres)

Food over the weekend

- Roast beef dinner
    - Tub of brown bread ice cream with raisins and Guinness chocolate brownies fresh from the oven
    - About 20 slices of Raisin Buttermilk soda bread (toasted with lashings of real butter)

All joking aside, time to get myself back into the swing of things in the gym.

Another observation from the weekend is that I seemed to go off the rails binge eating when I was back home and surrounded by different foods. Maybe it is my brain telling me that I need to mix things up on the food front. Will try to add more variety this week Even though I don't feel deprived or restricted on my current food, I will make some changes to try and avoid these type of blow outs

As an aside, the topic of why we eat rather than what we eat is an area that fascinates me. I have often toyed with the idea of doing a more formal course of some description on food psychology and the role of personalized nutrition.

I reckon it will be an area that will get a lot more attention in the future. I feel that the vast majority of the population know what they *should* be eating but putting it into practice is the difficult part.

Quote of the day

"If knowledge were the answer, we would all be billionaires with six-packs"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭caviardreams

- About 20 slices of Raisin Buttermilk soda bread (toasted with lashings of real butter)

Have not had white soda bread in YEARS, but you have given me a serious longing for it now :D:D

Pull Day

- V-Bar Pulldown (120kg) - 4x5
    - Pull-Ups (+15kg) - 4x3
    - Chin-Ups (+15kg) - 3x3
    - Bent-Over DB row (30kg DB) - 4x5

Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 routine and Ryan J Flahertys 7 ways hips to finish.

The rocking frog stretch is a killer. No pain, no gain I guess. Good to get back in the swing of things after a few days away from the gym

Podcast of the day

Magic Minds Podcast. Very interesting issues covered and the presenter seems really sound.
    https://anchor.fm/magic-minds

• Advertisement

Swim Day

2 x 25 lengths (18m pool)

Trying to build up so I am still taking a break after every length.

Advertisement