Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a rental from other side of the country

Options
  • 05-06-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

I am making the move to Dublin and I'm trying to find a 1 bed apartment on the dart. Stuff is snapped up in no time at all now and I live 3 hours from Dublin and work 9-5. I was hoping to snag something maybe on a Saturday, am I mad? Would anybody have advice, it's my first time renting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

imitation wrote: »
    I am making the move to Dublin and I'm trying to find a 1 bed apartment on the dart. Stuff is snapped up in no time at all now and I live 3 hours from Dublin and work 9-5. I was hoping to snag something maybe on a Saturday, am I mad? Would anybody have advice, it's my first time renting.

You are mad. Your odds of finding a 1 bed are slim to none. Landlords or agencies will want to have a chat with you to see what your like and secondly since you have no renting history, this will make it equally as difficult considering the fact they will have 5 other people with perfect renting history. The only thing you can do is take some annual leave and head up to Dublin to try and get a place. Or another thing you could do is rent in Airbnb when you actually do work in Dublin and then start looking properly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd rent a room to start with and then look for an apartment. You'll then have a LL's ref and some breathing space to find an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thanks for the replies, I do have a a week and a half of time to look but it's not much time. Airbnb is the backup plan but it's steep at this.time of year. I was hoping to start looking early as I know it's going to be a challenege.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not familiar with Dublin, but I would imagine there would be a surplus of student accommodation freeing up now with the holiday period starting? It would tide you over while looking for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jester77 wrote: »
    Not familiar with Dublin, but I would imagine there would be a surplus of student accommodation freeing up now with the holiday period starting? It would tide you over while looking for something.

Great idea; noticing this on daft.ie with other college/university towns

• Advertisement

Just wanted check back in to share how I got on. So I found a rental, I had to do it from Dublin really and I was extremely fortunate to get a place in 2 weeks. My observations where

-Come prepared have your references from work, landlords, bank statements, it's basically a job interview now.
    -I got in on a first come, first saved basis really, I think a lot of private landlords do this. So set email alerts on daft and check constantly throughout the day in the area you want. Agencies seem to gather more people and vet them.
    -You can probably expect to get a viewing a day or two after replying and you pretty much have to make an offer within a day, sometimes just there.
    -Saying I was working for a mnc and that I was going to stay long term helped a lot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what part did you move to?

zweton wrote: »
    what part did you move to?

D4 , I'm paying less than average for the area but it's still a lot.

Advertisement