Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cut to child benifit for people earning over 100k to help fund childcare

18910111214»

Comments

salonfire wrote: »
    OK, I'm trying to keep up here.

So welfare to farmers... Good
    Welfare to pensioners... Good
    Welfare to the unemployed... Bad

I think the Minister should just consult with you before spending your 'hard earned' money that was robbed from you.

Farmers to not get welfare they work exceptionally hard and provide food for your table in turn they are paid a small farm payment for this.

It's not really welfare to pensioners - they have paid tax all their life so have covered the cost

Welfare to gunuine - short term unemployed = Good
    Welfare to long term unemployed and many other types who never worked, expect free houses or free/very low rent, produce babies just to make more money from the system etc = Bad
    Blaas4life wrote: »
    If the grant is small....how come the cost of food would rise significantly??

Do you think ireland pays no tax to the EU?

Small individually and small for small farms. Spread it across all farms, especially very big farms then it would result in large rises. Its not a grant either its a farm payment. Its the only thing enabling some farms to make a small profit and the only think that enable many small and part-time farms to break even. All the profit is for the retailers but if the subside was taken then prices would rise a lot or else we end up losing lots of small farmers and thus ruin rural Ireland and what its all about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Idbatterim wrote: »

Please have a think about how the whole cycle works rather than just believing the headline of a thrash newspaper. It’s not the tax giveaway you think it is, it’s more of a postponement of tax plus plenty of other benefits to economy along the way;
    - invest in pension and get a tax break, if anything this cools the economy as it pushes out spend to later years,
    - jobs supported in pension fund industry,
    - pension funds invest in items such as property
    shares further stimulating economy,
    - and key (that you seem to miss) is that when pension fund is cashed in tax is payable (although there are some tax free thresholds)
    - people who draws a pension are a very important part of the economy (senior citizens spending help balance an economy such as spending off peak, new cars, helping kids) so then having less money impacts economy in a big way.
    - even simple things like pensioners being able to pay private health insurance eases the burden on the state

If it needs to be tackled then lower the tax free encashment threshold not the tax break on investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Small individually and small for small farms. Spread it across all farms, especially very big farms then it would result in large rises. Its not a grant either its a farm payment. Its the only thing enabling some farms to make a small profit and the only think that enable many small and part-time farms to break even.

I agree...but I don't see what's the difference to tax payer wheter it's paid to a farmer or someone on the dole tbh and is paid out irregardless wheter someone works the farm or not

Hardly taxpayers problem wheter farmers make money or not??,we get it here and take it...it's money for jam like??...but most my income is off farm so I can see both sides of arguements here

Welfare to long term unemployed and many other types who never worked, expect free houses or free/very low rent, produce babies just to make more money from the system etc = Bad

You have such a chip on your shoulder about these people .. in the context of Government spending, it is absolutely tiny.

Even if payments made to these cohort of people was stopped in the morning, you would barely see the saving in your Income Tax. €200 million was just handed over to consultants in the HSE this week. I don't see you object to that. Think that does not cost you anything?

As proven by the decline in employment, the vast majority of people are willing to work.

And as we know, this is a country full of shi**y low paid jobs (lower than you'd get on the scratcher); speaks volume of the willingness of people to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You’re right to a point. I just don’t agree with taxing at an insane rate, the billion euro should go to reducing it. Young and Middle Age are screwed here, I’m not worried about surviving when retired, I’m worried about now!

So as long as you're not worried about the future we should make it more difficult for others to consider their futures?

Would you have tax people on the contributions they save towards their pensions, and then tax it again when they draw it down? Because today it's taxed when it's drawn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

salonfire wrote: »
    You have such a chip on your shoulder about these people .. in the context of Government spending, it is absolutely tiny.

Even if payments made to these cohort of people was stopped in the morning, you would barely see the saving in your Income Tax. €200 million was just handed over to consultants in the HSE this week. I don't see you object to that. Think that does not cost you anything?

As proven by the decline in employment, the vast majority of people are willing to work.

And as we know, this is a country full of shi**y low paid jobs (lower than you'd get on the scratcher); speaks volume of the willingness of people to work.

Which jobs are lower than 198 a week?

Advertisement