Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to quit my job

Options
  • 05-06-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a job at the end of April after they advertised the role at my college. I'm 22 and have just finished my degree.

I am not enjoying myself. At all. I knew it the first day I started there but tried to push it back and settle in. I got one day of training which was just a history of the company, didn't get training on the software systems we use/phone etiquette/basic problem solving for the customer, which is what I'm supposed to do. There's a long list of supervisors/managers and someone different seems to be in charge every day - I've approached this designated person on given days with questions and gotten answers from many of them like 'Who are you supposed to be?' 'How don't you know this?' 'That's not my problem' 'Why have you been put on shift with me, i wasn't told anyone new was starting and don't have time to look after you'.

I'm basically in customer service over the phone and email, and am getting more abuse than I ever thought was possible. I feel like I deal with this quite well and have done it before, one supervisor has commented walking by me that I'm good on the phone, but it does get you down being called names 9 hours a day. I feel like I'd be able to get over this if the office environment was better but it's not. The staff around me don't talk to me either, no one really talks to anyone but there are some 'groups' that go off together. I know that's par for the course in work and life but it's a bit extreme here to the point where I've said 'hello' and they'll all stop talking and just look at the ground or into the distance.

I have pretty much made up my mind that I want to leave but if anyone thinks its a totally ridiculous idea please say so, because I don't want my CV to look bad. I've always had a job since I was 15.
    My main questions are:

1) Is it too soon to go?
    I truly feel I've tried my best with them. I'm good at talking to the customers but it's not enough, it's not like I actually 'enjoy' them being upset and enjoy the job. Another company in the same city have asked me to interview. I'm pretty sure I'd get it due to degree and previous experience in similar company but obviously that's jumping the gun.

2) How do I say I'm leaving? There's nothing in the handbook about a notice period. What reasons do I give? I don't even know who in the office I'd have to speak to about it.

3) I have not updated my CV online to say I work at current company - should I do this? It's either have a gap in employment or face questions on why I left.

I have never done this before and am nervous about it but my gut is telling me the place isn't worth it and I know there's better out there.

Advertisement