Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Network Query

• 05-06-2018 2:21pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Have wired most of the house and have cables in for the rest to add camera's etc at a later date. Have currently wired back to a central location in the attic.

What are peoples thoughts on having your switch and NAS in the attic? Too warm in summer/cold in winter?

I've read various pros/cons online but really want to get it moving. I have all the network gear ready and access points ready, I just have to decide where to move everything to. Have plenty of slack on cables in attic to move. Bungalow so makes things a little easier.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For me, never put the connections in the attic, nor any device that is permanently powered.

Others take a different view, which I would most strongly disagree with.

Bring the tails to a suitable location for a 'media press' so you can have easy access and be able to take a quick look if in doubt about anything in the future.

Leave room in that 'press' for any additions you might wish in the future .... maybe tuner boxes for IPTV distribution; control boxes for cameras as well as file server/NAS.

Plan for the unexpected ...... a fault occurs when you are incapable of climbing into the attic for instance ..... sprained or broken ankle or such which are not uncommon.

IMO, lots of reasons not to do it.
    Very few to do it.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have mine to a 12u network cabinet in the attic which works out grand, I rarely need to go up there. I've 2 servers, a modem, a rackmount router and a poe switch, can remote into the servers to do whatever I need. I've even redirected my landline to an Eir NTU I fitted beside the cabinet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

For me, never put the connections in the attic, nor any device that is permanently powered.

Bring the tails to a suitable location for a 'media press' so you can have easy access and be able to take a quick look if in doubt about anything in the future.

Leave room in that 'press' for any additions you might wish in the future .... maybe tuner boxes for IPTV distribution; control boxes for cameras as well as file server/NAS.

Plan for the unexpected ...... a fault occurs when you are incapable of climbing into the attic for instance ..... sprained or broken ankle or such which are not uncommon.

Very few to do it.

;)
    I have mine to a 12u network cabinet in the attic which works out grand, I rarely need to go up there. I've 2 servers, a modem, a rackmount router and a poe switch, can remote into the servers to do whatever I need. I've even redirected my landline to an Eir NTU I fitted beside the cabinet.

Many thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Very few to do it.

;)

You know you can terminate the cables up there without putting everything else up there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Also, if you are putting electronics in the attic, put a fire alarm up there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You know you can terminate the cables up there without putting everything else up there?

Yep yep. I'll prob just put the server and switch up there. Plug the NAS in somewhere else downstairs. It'll be a ubiquiti system so all should be grand once up and running.
    Also, if you are putting electronics in the attic, put a fire alarm up there as well.

Will have a fire alarm and a water sensor up there. But yes very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Most likely because my system is rarely constant for very long, there is no way I would have the switch in the attic.
    I can only imagine the cussing that would emit if I had to go up and down to the attic while connecting some new ethernet cable or if I needed to fault find a dodgy cable!

Great that we have choices so we can choose what suits us best :D

Advertisement