Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackhall PPC1 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tigerlilly18

Redo91 wrote: »
    I’m wondering the same about the iPad. I noted on the covering letter that came with my indentures that I would receive another letter about fees. Haven’t paid anything besides the application fee obviously. I will be sending back my indentures today. Didn’t realise you had to pick an iPad upgrade so soon. Definitely going for the Pro as want to be able use the keyboard for typing. Just unsure about what size to go for.

Yes I thought i was missing out on something regarding payment of fees etc. Someone has kindly confirmed that there are letters out today requesting the fee etc. Re IPads I got someone to look over them for me. Think im going for pro 10.5 64gb . Hopefully this be good enough to cover ppc 1 and 2!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 10922UCD

conork12 wrote: »
    10922UCD wrote: »
    Apologies all the LSI had told me it would be mid August!thats great news just checked there and if you don’t make selection the website say last you’ll still be issued with standard size!

Do you think there's any point in splashing out on more memory or the pro? I can't see myself using it too much outside of college to be honest

I asked the trainees where I work and they said that the standard is more than enough plus Dropbox accounts are set up by most tutorial groups/various trainees of firms!i was going to get upgrade but after after seeing their ones I’m happy with standard size,no flashy ones for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

I’m wondering the same about the iPad. I noted on the covering letter that came with my indentures that I would receive another letter about fees. Haven’t paid anything besides the application fee obviously. I will be sending back my indentures today. Didn’t realise you had to pick an iPad upgrade so soon. Definitely going for the Pro as want to be able use the keyboard for typing. Just unsure about what size to go for.

Yes I thought i was missing out on something regarding payment of fees etc. Someone has kindly confirmed that there are letters out today requesting the fee etc. Re IPads I got someone to look over them for me. Think im going for pro 10.5 64gb . Hopefully this be good enough to cover ppc 1 and 2!!

Ya I received that letter when I got home this evening.

With regard the iPad I emailed the Law Society regarding the sort of storage needed and they confirmed that the previous base model would have been the iPad Mini at just 16gb so the 64gb is more than sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

anyone having issues with the new ipad, comes at 100 and then it changes to 149? which one is the actual price?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conork12

Lumi77 wrote: »
    anyone having issues with the new ipad, comes at 100 and then it changes to 149? which one is the actual price?

It changed between €100 and €149 a couple of times during the day.

I paid €100 so hopefully that's right!!!

Yes its very very strange. and confusing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Does anyone know how necessary a locker is?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Does anyone know how necessary a locker is?

I’ve been advised they are very very handy as they save you lugging manuals in and out. Also some of them have charging ports for ipads and phones inside.

Is anyone here applying for editorial post with H.Law Journal as a trainee since we will have free time during the year at PPC?.The current board are all from McCann Fitz,couple from William Fry and Arthur Cox-one from McDowell Purcell.Just wondering is it a closed shop or if many from slightly smaller firms are applying before I submit cv and give all my details to an unknown board of peers.TIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

Has anyone not received anything from the law society yet? In terms of a pack/email etc...

Has anyone not received anything from the law society yet? In terms of a pack/email etc...

When did you submit your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tigerlilly18

Hi does anyone know what kind of ipad cover we should get. Im looking for one with a keyboard which is fine but just wondering do we need one that also sits in portrait format? TIA
    Ps im looking at the 10.5ipad pro

Could someone advise about what sort of hours of actual lectures/tutorials we have? I have looked at the provisional timetable and noted that there is some taking place between 9:30-5:30. I think I’m right in saying that certain modules are optional and therefore we won’t have lectures/tutorials straight from 9:30-5:30. I’ve heard people say before that you have plenty of time for studying in between lectures.

The reason I ask is that I am planning on commuting from Galway some days. My plan would be to stay up in Dublin when I’m in Blackhall until 5:30 and if there are days I finish earlier to head back on the train and study on the commute. Could anyone advise what sort of hours of actual lectures/tutorials we are looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conork12

Could someone advise about what sort of hours of actual lectures/tutorials we have? I have looked at the provisional timetable and noted that there is some taking place between 9:30-5:30. I think I’m right in saying that certain modules are optional and therefore we won’t have lectures/tutorials straight from 9:30-5:30. I’ve heard people say before that you have plenty of time for studying in between lectures.

The reason I ask is that I am planning on commuting from Galway some days. My plan would be to stay up in Dublin when I’m in Blackhall until 5:30 and if there are days I finish earlier to head back on the train and study on the commute. Could anyone advise what sort of hours of actual lectures/tutorials we are looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Everyone I have spoken too who has been in PPC1 recently has said that we'll have plenty of free time. I'm not sure about start and finish times.

It might be an idea to give them a ring. They are helpful enough if you can get through to them

.[/QUOTE]

Everyone I have spoken too who has been in PPC1 recently has said that we'll have plenty of free time. I'm not sure about start and finish times.

It might be an idea to give them a ring. They are helpful enough if you can get through to them[/quote]

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes I might try that. As you say they are very helpful.

On another note I was having a chat with one of the Partners in my training firm about Blackhall yesterday. He mentioned in passing that I would be expected to return to the office and work any days that Blackhall isn’t taking place excluding bank holidays (staff training, etc). He explained that as they are paying me while I’m in Blackhall (they are obliged to) I owe them a duty. It was my understanding that once you go to Blackhall that you do not return to the training firm until after PPC1. Bear in mind I am being paid the minimum as per the regulations. I’m sure there are plenty of trainees who will have full fees paid and they won’t be expected back in the office.

I should add the firm are very understanding and they won’t expect me on study days around exams. However, I was really looking forward to getting early Christmas holidays with Blackhall due to finish on the 14th but now it seems I will have to work up until Christmas.

Just curious has anyone ever heard of people working with their firm during the duration of PPC1?

• Advertisement

It might be an idea to give them a ring. They are helpful enough if you can get through to them[/quote]

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes I might try that. As you say they are very helpful.

On another note I was having a chat with one of the Partners in my training firm about Blackhall yesterday. He mentioned in passing that I would be expected to return to the office and work any days that Blackhall isn’t taking place excluding bank holidays (staff training, etc). He explained that as they are paying me while I’m in Blackhall (they are obliged to) I owe them a duty. It was my understanding that once you go to Blackhall that you do not return to the training firm until after PPC1. Bear in mind I am being paid the minimum as per the regulations. I’m sure there are plenty of trainees who will have full fees paid and they won’t be expected back in the office.

I should add the firm are very understanding and they won’t expect me on study days around exams. However, I was really looking forward to getting early Christmas holidays with Blackhall due to finish on the 14th but now it seems I will have to work up until Christmas.

Just curious has anyone ever heard of people working with their firm during the duration of PPC1?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've heard of it Redo. Although the Law Society preach that it's not allowed its unfortunate that we don't really have much protection on it. I mean you could complain to the Law Society but what good is that going to do for the relationship between your and your Employer. Its really not ideal but if you have to go in a couple of days over the 6 months to keep the peace then you might just have to do that.

I've heard of a few (albeit rare) cases where Trainees were forced by their offices to come in really early in the morning to work on files before Blackhall, were getting delayed by their Employers or with clients and missing the start of lectures and then being expected to come back in the evenings after lectures.

smeal wrote: »

It might be an idea to give them a ring. They are helpful enough if you can get through to them

Just curious has anyone ever heard of people working with their firm during the duration of PPC1?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've heard of it Redo. Although the Law Society preach that it's not allowed its unfortunate that we don't really have much protection on it. I mean you could complain to the Law Society but what good is that going to do for the relationship between your and your Employer. Its really not ideal but if you have to go in a couple of days over the 6 months to keep the peace then you might just have to do that.

I've heard of a few (albeit rare) cases where Trainees were forced by their offices to come in really early in the morning to work on files before Blackhall, were getting delayed by their Employers or with clients and missing the start of lectures and then being expected to come back in the evenings after lectures.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it’s not completely unheard of at least. Just thought it was a bit rich to expect me to go beyond that expected of a trainee when I am receiving the bear minimum in return.

Luckily my firm isn’t in Dublin so I won’t have to worry about being in the office before lectures. Being realistic I can’t imagine there will be too many free days during the course so it will probably just be the week up to Christmas. Mind you if I am under pressure with course work and they ask me in on a day I might try to explain that I am not expected to be in the office but hopefully it won’t come to that.

Hate that as trainees we can be taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

This is why even though I would prefer to become a general practice solicitor in the countryside in my home county - I made sure to get my traineeship in a corporate firm in Dublin. All the flak they get but at least you get paid and can commit to your PPC1 in peace!

This is why even though I would prefer to become a general practice solicitor in the countryside in my home county - I made sure to get my traineeship in a corporate firm in Dublin. All the flak they get but at least you get paid and can commit to your PPC1 in peace!
    That’s a fair point. I guess it’s about getting the right balance. I’m delighted with the level of training I’m getting in terms of variety (I’ve attended on counsel everywhere from the CCJ to the Circuit court). On the other hand obviously not receiving the same financial support as others is an issue.

In saying that I’m out the door at 5:30pm every day (not saying this isn’t the case with you) whereas in the bigger corporate firms you aren’t expected to leave until after 8pm which I couldn’t hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

In saying that I’m out the door at 5:30pm every day (not saying this isn’t the case with you) whereas in the bigger corporate firms you aren’t expected to leave until after 8pm which I couldn’t hack.

Its true sure last night I wasn't out until after 8pm so Friday night ruined! But yeah I might re-evaluate after I enroll, but the financial security is good enough for now.. The people in my firm are very friendly, but I have a dream of escaping Dublin and never coming back!

• Advertisement

Its true sure last night I wasn't out until after 8pm so Friday night ruined! But yeah I might re-evaluate after I enroll, but the financial security is good enough for now.. The people in my firm are very friendly, but I have a dream of escaping Dublin and never coming back!

In the exact same mind set! I’ve been working in a firm at home in the country now for two years and love the work, the experience and the people I work with. I knew from day 1 if I took a traineeship with them I wouldn’t get fees paid or even be paid during PPC1 but took the “we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it” approach! The harsh reality set in about 4 months ago that it was impossible financially for me as I don’t have any support from home.

So yeah starting a TC with a mid size firm after PPC which will take a lot of pressure off financially and I am genuinely looking forward to starting and getting experience in completely different areas. But my plan is train in Dublin, perhaps try and earn a decent wage up there for a couple of years but eventually I have my heart set on coming home or as near to home as I can!

Anyone on this part of the Law Society Access Programme?

Sorry for the delay in replying!

There are definitely pros and cons with whatever size firm you train with. At the end of the day I think it’s very subjective and depends on the trainee and what size firm suits them best. The obvious pro with a large firm if the remuneration and not having to worry about fees at Blackhall. I’m very jealous of those who don’t have any financial worries now as I imagine Blackhall can be stressful enough in any event.

Personally I just never saw myself (and never do) at a top 5 firm. Firstly I know they wouldn’t be interested in me. I take my hat off to anyone who obtains a training contract with a top 5/10 firm as it is so competitive. In addition it takes serious work ethic. I just didn’t see myself being able to put in the 50+ hour weeks as is required.

The benefit of a smaller firm imo is the better work/life balance and the greater responsibilities you are given. I just feel at a large firm there is a danger that you are spoon fed too much as you are so far down the food chain so to speak. At a smaller firm (especially a busy one as mine is) staff are spread more thinly and so you are thrown in the deep end and have to learn on your feet. Also you get more time with the partners which you can learn from.

In an ideal world I would have liked to have secured a traineeship with a top 15 firm. I interviewed with one and was told they pay fees which is great. In addition while I know long hours are required I don’t think you have to quiet “sell your soul” as you do with some larger firms.

10922UCD wrote: »
    Anyone on this part of the Law Society Access Programme?

hey can you private message me if you need to ask anything.

Has anybody received anything yet in relation to how we find out our core group/tutorial groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Has anybody received anything yet in relation to how we find out our core group/tutorial groups?

It will be put on the PPC1 page on the law society website on th 27th, I'm not sure if its emailed out as well

randomrb wrote: »

It will be put on the PPC1 page on the law society website on th 27th, I'm not sure if its emailed out as well
    When do we select our optional subjects?

I couldn't find anything about that, do you only choose for ppc2?

I couldn't find anything about that, do you only choose for ppc2?
    Apologies maybe I’m wrong. I couldn’t fully figure out the time table but I had thought in addition to the core subjects there are some optional modules. Could easily be wrong though.

as far as i can see there is no option this year to pick modules and streams. I understand that there is to many students so they cant accommodate it.

• Advertisement

as far as i can see there is no option this year to pick modules and streams. I understand that there is to many students so they cant accommodate it.

Considering they don't have two starts like they used to that is to be expected i suppose, annoying that there is no choice

So how does that affect us compared to previous trainees who could select certain modules? Are there subjects that we won’t be studying now?

So how does that affect us compared to previous trainees who could select certain modules? Are there subjects that we won’t be studying now?

I was under the impression that only PPC2 had electives

I was under the impression that only PPC2 had electives
    You’re probably right. I just was struggling to figure out the timetable and I remember reading about optional modules but that probably related to PPC2.

Tutorial groups are up!

F**k, they've changed the exam timetable and there's now an exam on the Friday and I've already booked flights that day

Apologies for what I know is a stupid question but if I’m in TG11 does that mean I’m the core 7-12 group?

Also how do you know what are the mandatory modules which if one is missed you have to repeat PPC1? I’m planning on heading over to England to my sister on a long weekend so would be skipping a Friday and I want to make sure I’m ok to miss the one Friday.

Apologies for what I know is a stupid question but if I’m in TG11 does that mean I’m the core 7-12 group?

Also how do you know what are the mandatory modules which if one is missed you have to repeat PPC1? I’m planning on heading over to England to my sister on a long weekend so would be skipping a Friday and I want to make sure I’m ok to miss the one Friday.

Yes you are core group 11 which seems to suggest that you are in the earlier stream and you will start on Tuesday.

I don't think we'll know the proper timetable until we're there and we link it up with the i calendar and I understand from speaking with other Trainees that the lectures are subject to change for a few weeks.. I have also heard (and don't totally rely on this) but say for example you were in a late Friday tutorial starting at 3pm and you needed to be away early to catch a flight I think you can try and swap with somebody in an earlier tutorial.

Yes you are core group 11 which seems to suggest that you are in the earlier stream and you will start on Tuesday.

I don't think we'll know the proper timetable until we're there and we link it up with the i calendar and I understand from speaking with other Trainees that the lectures are subject to change for a few weeks.. I have also heard (and don't totally rely on this) but say for example you were in a late Friday tutorial starting at 3pm and you needed to be away early to catch a flight I think you can try and swap with somebody in an earlier tutorial.

Good to hear there is some flexibility there at least. Looking forward to getting our definitive timetable when we start.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for iPad Pro 10.5 inch covers? So far I’ve settled on the cheapest Apple cover at €60 and will get a sleeve too. Problem with the Apple over is it doesn’t cover the back at all (hence the sleeve). I did find covers for around €30 which cover front and back but they look a bit chunky. Just want something that will cover front and back but is thin.

Edit: Got sorted in the end. Paid €40 in total for a cover and sleeve so happy out with that.

who can understand anything now after the tutorials groups assigned?
    I am right in saying that some have to go in first day and some dont?
    and the gaps in between classes?

who can understand anything now after the tutorials groups assigned?
    I am right in saying that some have to go in first day and some dont?
    and the gaps in between classes?
    I can’t figure out the Red/Blue groups at all. Hopefully it becomes clearer once we start.

From looking at the timetable it seems the lower numbers (ie core group 1-12) have gotten a raw deal. It seems like I’m in around 9am most mornings with the odd exception. I know it means I finish earlier but it’s not like we will be in late either way. Not ideal when I plan on predominantly commuting and staying up maybe 2 nights a week.

I can’t figure out the Red/Blue groups at all. Hopefully it becomes clearer once we start.

From looking at the timetable it seems the lower numbers (ie core group 1-12) have gotten a raw deal. It seems like I’m in around 9am most mornings with the odd exception. I know it means I finish earlier but it’s not like we will be in late either way. Not ideal when I plan on predominantly commuting and staying up maybe 2 nights a week.

I agree I am commuting myself and have to get a childminder. I am group 7 myself. But the gaps in between to me are a waste of time hanging around.

does anyone know if there is a canteen in the Law Society?

I agree I am commuting myself and have to get a childminder. I am group 7 myself. But the gaps in between to me are a waste of time hanging around.

I know and unfortunately they have said they won’t entertain any requests to swap to another stream. I’ll be commuting from Galway on the train so face an early start on the mornings I don’t stay up the night before. Also like you say the gaps are far from ideal although at least it will allow time to study.

Speaking of the train does anyone know if I am right in saying we will be entitled to a student travel card? I had a look at the Iarnrod Eireann website and I did not see any reference to Blackhall or the Law Society under the institutions which are entitled to student tickets.

• Advertisement

I know and unfortunately they have said they won’t entertain any requests to swap to another stream. I’ll be commuting from Galway on the train so face an early start on the mornings I don’t stay up the night before. Also like you say the gaps are far from ideal although at least it will allow time to study.

Speaking of the train does anyone know if I am right in saying we will be entitled to a student travel card? I had a look at the Iarnrod Eireann website and I did not see any reference to Blackhall or the Law Society under the institutions which are entitled to student tickets.

You are entitled to a student travelcard, might be worth looking at the taxsaver scheme if you are with a firm as well

You are entitled to a student travelcard, might be worth looking at the taxsaver scheme if you are with a firm as well

Thanks for the reply. I wonder would I get away with a student ticket and showing some of the correspondence we received from the law society to show I’m a student until I get the student card which I presume we won’t get until a day or two in. I’ve heard of the taxsaver scheme also although I believe I would be able to claim little or nothing back due to the wage I’m earning and the small amount of tax I’m paying.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder would I get away with a student ticket and showing some of the correspondence we received from the law society to show I’m a student until I get the student card which I presume we won’t get until a day or two in. I’ve heard of the taxsaver scheme also although I believe I would be able to claim little or nothing back due to the wage I’m earning and the small amount of tax I’m paying.

It is worth talking to your employer as i believe it will save them money as well as it is a direct reduction from your gross wage

does anyone know if there is a canteen in the Law Society?

A friend told me there is an area with a couple of microwaves and fridges? And I think there are two coffee docks?

A friend told me there is an area with a couple of microwaves and fridges? And I think there are two coffee docks?

thank you , kind of poor considering the fees we pay but it ll have to do :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement