Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner road cyclist, gear etc

Options
  • 05-06-2018 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a bicycle shop or shops in Galway city that provide good advice for a beginner road cyclist. I want to start cycling in a local group but I am utterly confused about what to buy and sizes etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I am looking for a bicycle shop or shops in Galway city that provide good advice for a beginner road cyclist. I want to start cycling in a local group but I am utterly confused about what to buy and sizes etc.

When I was starting out, Walsh's on the shopping centre side of wood quay were very helpful. Family like the shop in the Dunnes SC on the Headford Rd, Kearney's or something like that, they have a big selection.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

kearneys are good

there's a polish lad there who cycles himself, sound lad, friendly and very knowledgeable, got my first road bike off him
    I'd be looking for him anytime I go in

think about buying cycling gear like clothing online though, their prices are insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

mailburner wrote: »
    kearneys are good

there's a polish lad there who cycles himself, sound lad, friendly and very knowledgeable, got my first road bike off him
    I'd be looking for him anytime I go in

think about buying cycling gear like clothing online though, their prices are insane

Do you mean Kearneys prices are insane or cycling clothes in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from "Looking for..." thread as I can see this taking off to a longer discussion.

@nettlesoup

their prices on cycle clothing and accessories are way too high

buy them online, get the bike in kearneys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Depending on which side of the city your on. Moycullen Bike Works (MBW) or Velocity in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I too recommend Kearneys. Haven't bought a bike from them but they're fantastic for repairs and always charged a very fair prices for anything I needed done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nigel's is a loss. They had stock and knowledge.

Italian clothing is very good usually but their sizings are silly. Whatever you do - don't equate their S/M/L etc to ours. Always size well up.

Bike clothing is pricey but even if you train regularly - two sets will get you through the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I see plenty of you recommended online but can you advise please which website is most beginner friendly, explaining what they are selling for us who don't have a clue about Road cycling?

flazio wrote: »
    I see plenty of you recommended online but can you advise please which website is most beginner friendly, explaining what they are selling for us who don't have a clue about Road cycling?

evans was recommended to me, got most of my accessories off them like bike lights
    the padded shorts/top I got in aldi and lidl, as good as anything I seen in the bike shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think www.chainreactioncycles.com and www.wiggle.co.uk are the obvious ones other than www.amazon.co.uk. Then there's www.bike24.de or www.rosebikes.co.uk for other bits. Also www.evanscycles.com I suppose. And don't forget www.cyclesuperstore.ie if you do the cycle to work scheme. Maybe the guys in the cycling forum will be of more help?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=410

Advertisement