Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo

Options
  • 05-06-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have 3 separate licenses for .22 guns. 2 pistols and a rifle. i have an allowance of 500 rounds of ammo on each, does this mean i can own 1500 rounds in total or just 500. it seems far from clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1500 in total (though you should be asked to present all three licences to the RFD you're buying from and he should be keeping a photocopy of them for his records).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Yes you can have 1500. But if for example you go to the range with only 1 pistol then in that case you are only entitled to have in your possesion at that time 500 rounds.

Nope. Law says nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

What im getting at there is that each individual licence entitles you to have in your possesion at any one time is 500 rounds. I imagine if you have one pistol with you and one licence for that pistol then at that moment you are only entitled to 500.
    Cumulatively yes 1500 if you have all 3 licences with you at the time.

Nope, law doesn't say that. At all.
    It says that each licence permits you to have 500 rounds in your possession.
    It says nothing about needing to have the firearm or the licence in your possession at the same time. You're perfectly entitled to be on the range with one firearm and 1500 rounds of ammo under the law assuming that your specific licence does not have preconditions saying otherwise on it.

Now, that being said:
    a) it's common sense to keep the licence with you when you've either firearms or ammo in your possession, for the sake of a quiet life, and it's as easy to carry all three as it is to carry one so I'd just keep photocopies of all three in all three gun cases and any other range bag;
    b) if you can get through 1500 rounds of .22lr in one training session, my hat's off to you; my record is just over a thousand rounds of pellets for air rifle, doing that in .22lr in one day is going to be tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Or you could be like Patrick Mansfield and have over 1200 rounds and just produce a copy of the front of your license !!!!!

Advertisement