Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Forbes Rich List

Options
  • 05-06-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭

Wow - From the newest list - Golfers have to have the biggest Endorsement>>>>tournament Winnings earnings ratio in any sport!

https://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

#16 Tiger
    #22 Mickelson
    #23 Spieth
    #26 McIlroy
    #66 Justin Thomas

Only Tennis comes close in regards to endorsements >>>> tournament winnings

I'd be curious to see lower ranked golfers. It's no hidden fact that endorsements keep many going.
    Woods has earned $1.5 billion since turning pro in 1996 with less than 10% of the total derived from prize money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

callaway92 wrote: »
    Wow - From the newest list - Golfers have to have the biggest Endorsement>>>>tournament Winnings earnings ratio in any sport!

#16 Tiger
    #22 Mickelson
    #23 Spieth
    #26 McIlroy
    #66 Justin Thomas

Only Tennis comes close in regards to endorsements >>>> tournament winnings

I'd be curious to see lower ranked golfers. It's no hidden fact that endorsements keep many going.

Tiger would skew it massively too, most of them haven't earned 160M in prizes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Golfers take a lot of time to play and they are standing still for hours and hours which makes the sponsor they have on their clothing and bags very easy to see, I'd imagine it provides excellent value for sponsors compared to other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Joe Dog wrote: »
    Golfers take a lot of time to play and they are standing still for hours and hours which makes the sponsor they have on their clothing and bags very easy to see, I'd imagine it provides excellent value for sponsors compared to other sports.

Same goes for Tennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Same goes for Tennis

Absolutely although 1 thing I notice about tennis is they rarely have a sponsor on the front of their shirt unless they are the manufacturer of the shirt, you'd think they could make a lot more money by adding other sponsors like golfers often have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Noticeable that no woman on the top 100 list either.... surprising that Serena is not there...

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    Noticeable that no woman on the top 100 list either.... surprising that Serena is not there...

She has barely played any tennis this year due to pregnancy. This was June 2nd 2017 - June 1st 2018.

What other women would you have expected to see though?

It’s not a bit surprising in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It’s all about the people who watch golf, they are top tier ABC1. Well educated, high disposable income and decision makers in their professional spheres.

Last year the spend on professional golf sponsorship in the usa was over $1.5 billion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

It’s all about the people who watch golf, they are top tier ABC1. Well educated, high disposable income and decision makers in their professional spheres.

Last year the spend on professional golf sponsorship in the usa was over $1.5 billion

This is exactly the reason it’s one of the best sports for sponsors.

Another one is sailing, huge money involved but gets spent on the boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Joe Dog wrote: »

Added to that, not many sports will allow the personal endorsements that golf does. Players are a blanket canvas... with a hat on.

A footballer, basketballer etc will be limited to footwear deals while they're playing/getting exposure. Unless they wanted to get NetJets tattooed on their neck. Most sports people are owned by someone, image rights etc.

I suppose I was more surprised at how little the guys actually made from tournament winnings itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ssbob wrote: »

She has barely played any tennis this year due to pregnancy. This was June 2nd 2017 - June 1st 2018.

What other women would you have expected to see though?

It’s not a bit surprising in my opinion.

Didn't realise the timelines but that makes sense - other women, perhaps a few more of the tennis players - Maria Sharapova would have been close a few years back I would imagine but her stock has gone down due to the doping ban. Surprised that none of the US ladies golfers do not have significant endorsements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think golf is a bit strange in acceptance of other sponsors too, eg Rory with his Nike gear on advertising Omega, “free” advertisement for Nike

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

mcilroyOMEGA_zpsb7e9c9c7.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

slave1 wrote: »
    Think golf is a bit strange in acceptance of other sponsors too, eg Rory with his Nike gear on advertising Omega, “free” advertisement for Nike

It's fairly common I think, lots of sports people get endorsements from non competing brands. Headphones, watches, cars etc. It's never been easier for brands to get exposure from athletes. A tweet here, snapchat there. They will nearly always have a commerical element behind them / contracted to do so.

I would guess that Rory's Nike contract would have more T&Cs surrounding his off course relationship with the brand that the on course side of things. They're buying his life not just his golf.

They're probably buying into much more than that too, I'm sure Missus Mc has to wear Nike and if a lil'Mc came around, I don't think it would take too long to see a bit of baby clobber on them.

Advertisement