Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can cacti, parsley, and succulents be planted outside?

Options
  • 05-06-2018 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can cacti, parsley, and succulents be planted outside? I currently have them inside. They've always been inside. How would they fare when the winter comes around?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've planted succulents outside before and they've survived mild winters, but none of the bigger ones in the ground survived the last winter without damage (smaller ones were fine though). I'd bring them inside or keep them in a greenhouse over the winter. Parsley is fine outside, but I like to sow a fresh batch every year anyway as it usually bolts at some point (for me anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Parsley definitely, I have lots of it always.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Worztron

strandroad wrote: »
    Parsley definitely, I have lots of it always.

Hi strandroad.

And it survived the winters?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Parsley is a biennial. It produces just leaves, roots and stem in the first year and goes to flower in its second year so it needs to survive through winter to complete its normal life cycle. It's a temperate climate plant so outside in Ireland would be close to its natural habitat.
    Cacti are succulents and I have some that have survived through winter outside but there's no guarantees they wont be effected negatively by our damp winter months as they are much more likely to get some form of rotting disease if constantly wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My outdoor succulent is developing tubular flowers should i cut them off or leave them be?

cacti.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement