Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

TrueGael wrote: »
    The silence from the mainstream media regarding the damage the GAA have done by creating this monster is deafening

It's only on places like here that it is debated, this topic is a Voldemort with the likes of RTE and the written media

Hurling has 9 serious counties and there 6/7 with serious ambitions of winning , Football is the dominant code in 23/24 and there is 1 contender and yet not a peep outside here and other online sources

The Blue Voldemort of the GAA

The alternative view is that the mainstream media do not agree with your view of the world, and accept the premise being put forward here by those who disagree with you, that the money is for the participation of kids and not for the development of the senior football team.

The mainstream media are not fools, they can see the difference between the way Dublin pour their money into youth development while others spend it on warm weather training for their senior football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭High Fidelity

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are people who just don't want to acknowledge this Dublin team as the GOAT and they look round for any excuse (we had it before with the argument that it is a changing team, yet 14 of the 20 used in the 2013 All-Ireland final have played championship minutes this year, with 2 more - O'Gara and Brogan still involved, and Fitzsimons, an unused sub that day involved as well).

When Dublin stop winning All-Irelands, and that will happen when the bulk of this team moves on, the same crowd will be on here saying that the money given to Dublin is being wasted because they are not winning All-Irelands. They won't remember that we told them time and again that the money was never meant for winning All-Irelands, it was meant to bring kids into the game. And it has done that, and only that, spectacularly well.

If Dublin never win another All-Ireland, it will still be money very well spent.

It’s like a flat earth society. You can understand it, it’s easier to lash out then admit failure.

No doubt it all comes in cycles, but it will be interesting to see what this investment brings when it comes to the first wave to seniors in the mid of next decade.To be fair many of the fears may come to be realized then, if we are this good now, we could even be better if the investment from 2005 bears fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

racso1975 wrote: »
    But majority of people in the pole feel it shouldn't be split
    Clearly splitting Dublin would be a crazy decision!! What's the GAA without the sense of identity and pride in where you're from? Splitting Dublin will never happen. Instead support weaker counties to help them bridge the gap.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    The elite player development plan began in 2005, this highly financed system brought through the overwhelming majority of players that have won 5 All Ireland's. The system didn't go after one year old's. It identified elite talent, put them in development squads, had top coaches in all areas from skills to strength and conditioning look after them win the best facilities in the country and with the best gear and equipment supplied to them.

This massively improved standards from u21 down and delivered a players fully developed and trained to a professional standard to Dublin inter county senior teams. This has gained Dublin a huge number of titles that I've already pointed out. It will continue to do so.

Haha you mean what every other county in the country do. But I like the sound of the elite player development plan, I really wish it existed in the way you describe it the same with the facilities I’ve been out on inisfallis, many would be surprised. St Claire’s is a good spot mind, thank you Pat Gilroy!

I more, more wish you were right about much of the stuff your posting. Unfortunately not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

The alternative view is that the mainstream media do not agree with your view of the world, and accept the premise being put forward here by those who disagree with you, that the money is for the participation of kids and not for the development of the senior football team.

The mainstream media are not fools, they can see the difference between the way Dublin pour their money into youth development while others spend it on warm weather training for their senior football team.

Maybe they are afraid of pissing off 1.5 million potential readers, listeners, customers whatever, but they aren't even posing the question and debating whether there should be only 1 team for such an enormous population it's just constant cheerleading

There was a brief 2 minute discussion on TSG after last year's final are Dublin fans that thin skinned and paranoid that won't even enter the debate? I'm not referring to those on here but in general and the shouty paranoid ones on Facebook and Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Provided it pages ago.

No you didn't. You supplied the total spend for Mayo GAA. It doesn't say what the footballers spent. But you knew that already.

You are insisting on links here to back up other posters assertions but you have failed to provide a link to back up your own.

I'll ask once more - where does it state that Mayo footballers have consistently been the highest spenders?

You know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

STB. wrote: »
    Per head of population they DO NOT get more money. This is a fact.

People see the allocation amount versus their county and assume more money per player is being spent in Dublin. This is nonsense. The population of Dublin is ten times a normal county (and 20 in some cases). Example.

In 2016 the development fund paid €1.4m to Dublin which has a population of 1.4m (APX €1 per head for sake of population).

In 2016 the development fund paid €221,000 to Offaly under the development fund. Offaly has a population of 78,000.

Also the Leinster Council has another supplementary development fund for all counties in Leinster except Dublin which Offaly are entitled to.

County Breakdown of Games Development Funding in 2016

Dublin – €1.463,400
    Cork – €249,000
    Offaly – €220,669
    Limerick – €158,800
    Waterford – €158,800
    Galway – €130,204
    Mayo – €129,886

Then care to explain the above figures if it is all based on population ?
    All of the above counties have much bigger population bigger than Offaly yet they are below them.

The amount of shyte that dubs come up with to claim they are not getting huge funding is laughable.
    And then the extra cherry is that the funding and the development funds have no bearing on senior teams. :rolleyes:

It all feeds in ultimately.
    Now the one thing I will commend dublin for is the fact that they put in place the structures to use the funding wisely and not blow it like some other counties do with far less funds.

As for the idea of letting DCB run all Leinster counties, I think they would give up after a few months when they would see some of the shyte that goes on.
    :D This is basically more bluff and lies in an effort to downplay the financial doping.

We've already seen that Dublin players get 274 euro per player while the next best get 68 euro. Post financial doping the standard in all grades and codes have improved in Dublin GAA. The vast majority of the current Dublin football team and those who've won 5 All Ireland's in 7 years went through the elite development system.
    This system has won almost 50 titles since it's introduction, at underage level in football and hurling and at senior.
    This trend will continue as the financial doping continues.

Dubs don't care, they are winning.
    The GAA don't care because the Dubs are bringing in the dosh and attracting crowds to Croker, there is lots of rich clubs in Dublin and even new clubs popping up.
    The mainstream media don't care because they are all based in Dublin really, rely on a big Dublin market even if the contributors are from elsewhere.

But to look at where we are headed see the Leinster championship which is a now an annual non event.
    At least in all other provinces you had usually two or more teams to make it somewhat interesting.
    Oh Wicklow won a match and Carlow won two so that is the story that is being pedaled.
    They neglect to long on the scores Dublin put up as they canter to yet another title.

Also a lot of Dubs play this as "shure it's only a phase and hasn't Kerry and kilkenny done likewise."
    Yeah maybe, but when you look at where Dublin are at, the development going on, the numbers playing, the new clubs popping up, the dominance of Dublin clubs in All Irelands, I think we are not going to be seeing any lean decades for Dublin in the future.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

glack wrote: »
    Instead support weaker counties to help them bridge the gap.

You're a primary school teacher? Surely you can see that is utterly impossible. Employment, economics, investment, population, infrastructure, transport - all skewed towards greater Dublin. The imbalance is so grotesquely large in terms of county potential that it's a no brainer that the GAA must tackle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dublin have millions more available for senior team funding.

The GAA is an All Ireland organisation. The population used is nearly 7 million.

Entire Ireland pop is approx. 6.6million

I know you're fond of rounding up. But maybe 17.5% of an increase of a round might be a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

DONTMATTER wrote:
    The elite player development plan began in 2005, this highly financed system brought through the overwhelming majority of players that have won 5 All Ireland's. The system didn't go after one year old's. It identified elite talent, put them in development squads, had top coaches in all areas from skills to strength and conditioning look after them win the best facilities in the country and with the best gear and equipment supplied to them. This massively improved standards from u21 down and delivered a players fully developed and trained to a professional standard to Dublin inter county senior teams. This has gained Dublin a huge number of titles that I've already pointed out. It will continue to do so.

Most of what you've written I don't really have a strong issue with. I can see where you're coming from and while I don't agree I can understand the point you're making. But this statement you are talking out of your hat. The core group of this current Dublin team and are 28-34. Cluxton, McMahon, Cian Sullivan, McCarthy McCauley Connolly and Brogan to name a few. That puts these players at between and 15 and 21 thirteen years ago. No amount of money would turn players of this age into anything at that stage of their lives. And if you think it is then this is all basically a jealously thing. Which I honestly didn't think it was with you. Looking at other competitions I can see no worrisome patterns with Dublin. Haven't been in a minor since 2012 in football or hurling. And 13 years on we should really be seeing some worrying signs at underage level to show the affect of this funding. It's not in it. Even looking at the U14 Feile hurling I didn't see a plethora of Dublin winners to show us the end is nigh. I just don't see any correlation to funding and success. Maybe further down the road I'll change my opinion. When the Dublin breeding programme begins I'll worry because for me that's what makes exceptional GAA players. Natural ability. Not money. It might help. But it won't turn anyone into David Clifford or Joe Canning.

Maybe they are afraid of pissing off 1.5 million potential readers, listeners, customers whatever, but they aren't even posing the question and debating whether there should be only 1 team for such an enormous population it's just constant cheerleading

There was a brief 2 minute discussion on TSG after last year's final are Dublin fans that thin skinned and paranoid that won't even enter the debate? I'm not referring to those on here but in general and the shouty paranoid ones on Facebook and Twitter

And Kerrymen and Corkmen are known for talking it on the chin?

Ffs.

Ewan McKenna on The Last Word now moaning away. He's brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

That explains why he's not posting on here at the moment then.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Entire Ireland pop is approx. 6.6million

I know you're fond of rounding up. But maybe 17.5% of an increase of a round might be a bit much.

I was closer than Dubs claiming to have a third of the population!

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You're a primary school teacher? Surely you can see that is utterly impossible. Employment, economics, investment, population, infrastructure, transport - all skewed towards greater Dublin. The imbalance is so grotesquely large in terms of county potential that it's a no brainer that the GAA must tackle it.

I'm talking about the likes of Meath, Kildare etc. They have the population but are getting nowhere and have been in trouble for years. I live in the greater Dublin area so I see the problems. I work in an all boys primary in Louth. We are very much a GAA school but we are fighting an uphill battle. The support we get from the county board is minimal and very poorly organised and GAA in the school would fall completely apart but for the volunteering of the teachers. We're an urban school and have no pitch or right area to train or play games and are constantly looking for favours from the 2 local clubs. This is sometimes easier to organise than others. Often a big problem is the journey too and from the pitch which is a decent walk away (20+ mins). This means that extra staff are needed to go from a supervision point of view and this can be challenging at times and impacts the entire school. Imagine if we had a proper liaison between the school and the club? Or a coach from the county board that could be depended on to turn up at their designated time and actually provide a good quality coaching session? I'm not asking for the world here and speaking to other teachers in other counties, it's obvious that the support is there!

The likes of Leitrim will never be able to compete due to numbers but that doesn't mean that more couldn't be done to even things up a bit. Their ability to create revenue is in a different world compared to any of the top teams so why not give them an extra funding to help them along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Money can’t buy you Sam

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Money can’t buy you Sam

It's not all about Sam.

I was closer than Dubs claiming to have a third of the population!

I dunno, 28% of the population of the Republic isn't a bad shout to call as a third in short hand. But we'll split the difference and call it a quarter for you because given the quality of the statistical analysis on here by some, it really doesn't matter.

Most of what you've written I don't really have a strong issue with. I can see where you're coming from and while I don't agree I can understand the point you're making. But this statement you are talking out of your hat. The core group of this current Dublin team and are 28-34. Cluxton, McMahon, Cian Sullivan, McCarthy McCauley Connolly and Brogan to name a few. That puts these players at between and 15 and 21 thirteen years ago. No amount of money would turn players of this age into anything at that stage of their lives. And if you think it is then this is all basically a jealously thing. Which I honestly didn't think it was with you. Looking at other competitions I can see no worrisome patterns with Dublin. Haven't been in a minor since 2012 in football or hurling. And 13 years on we should really be seeing some worrying signs at underage level to show the affect of this funding. It's not in it. Even looking at the U14 Feile hurling I didn't see a plethora of Dublin winners to show us the end is nigh. I just don't see any correlation to funding and success. Maybe further down the road I'll change my opinion. When the Dublin breeding programme begins I'll worry because for me that's what makes exceptional GAA players. Natural ability. Not money. It might help. But it won't turn anyone into David Clifford or Joe Canning.

So you don't think training to a professional standard will make players better? You take any player and make them stronger, faster, improve their skills and of course they'll be better. And that's a player of any age but it's especially true with 15/16 year olds.
    That's what I've been saying about Dublin, they plan for senior. Yes they win many underage titles but their main goal is to create ready made seniors.
    I tell you what top class coaching can do. Paul Flynn was an average footballer. I mean at the top level. He went to DCU and he was in his 20's. He put in a lot of hard work but he also had some great help there, he came out a top class player. The transformation was huge.

What did he say?

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Money can’t buy you Sam

It's bought Dublin 5 and it will buy a Liam McCarthy as well.

I dunno, 28% of the population of the Republic isn't a bad shout to call as a third in short hand. But we'll split the difference and call it a quarter for you because given the quality of the statistical analysis on here by some, it really doesn't matter.

A third of 6.6 million is 2.2 million. Basic maths. :)

What did he say?

Absolutely nothing of consequence.

He said sorry for the time he accidentally liked the Tweet about Johnny Cooper being stabbed, and he apologised for the "B*llock B*llocks b*llocks" tweet right after this years all Ireland.

So, there's hope for the chap yet.

What did he say?

Why are you asking? You said it.

Pretty much regurgitated all the misrepresented stats you've thrown out here.

Jaden wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing of consequence.

He said sorry for the time he accidentally liked the Tweet about Johnny Cooper being stabbed, and he apologised for the "B*llock B*llocks b*llocks" tweet right after this years all Ireland.

So, there's hope for the chap yet.

Well there's the unbiased view of what he said anyway. :D

Any neutrals have a listen?

Why are you asking? You said it.

Pretty much regurgitated all the misrepresented stats you've thrown out here.

:D It's good to see this topic get some air time. It's time this was dealt with, no more silence on the issue. Someone has to have the balls to stand up and say it.

:D It's good to see this topic get some air time. It's time this was dealt with, no more silence on the issue. Someone has to have the balls to stand up and say it.

He will be back next week to talk about the existence of extra-terrestrials.

You have to admire the chap for being able to successfully combine two great passions in his life - a deep rooted resentment of Dublin's recent success, and a desire to raise his own profile as a journalist. I suppose you have to pay the bills somehow.

Every word he utters on the subject, is simply more validation of this current Dublin teams greatness. Hopefully he will continue in this vein for many, many more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

That has been my point, those teams you listed don't care about how they won. Same with Dublin, as we see from the responses here, their supporters elsewhere, their former players, their county board and so on, they do not care. That's why it's up to the rest of us to stand up for what's right. Or else it will just continue.

I think Dublin should be split into more than two, the money that's held aside for Dublin should be redistributed amongst all other counties. I could go into more detail but we have to get the idea that our games are supposed to be fair and equal firstly. We can't let this continue, once we've all reached that point, then we can discuss the next step.

So all counties should be split until all are the same size as Louth?
    There’s clubs in Dublin that would beat nearly every inter county team.
    How they let their teams get so bad is criminal.

Exactly, but the money was never intended to produce elite players for senior inter-county, the purpose was to keep kids playing the game and on into adulthood. Where it will pay dividends is that clubs will have four or five adult teams to cope with the numbers. It is all about quantity, not quality.

If the bitterness was justified, Dublin would be winning every underage competition. That just isn't happening. What we are seeing is that Dublin are competitive in both games at every level - that is just the population thing. To get consistent winners at senior level, you need some exceptional players and an exceptional management team. Dublin have that, it is probably a once-off and us Dubs are going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

• Advertisement

Exactly, but the money was never intended to produce elite players for senior inter-county, the purpose was to keep kids playing the game and on into adulthood. Where it will pay dividends is that clubs will have four or five adult teams to cope with the numbers. It is all about quantity, not quality.

If the bitterness was justified, Dublin would be winning every underage competition. That just isn't happening. What we are seeing is that Dublin are competitive in both games at every level - that is just the population thing. To get consistent winners at senior level, you need some exceptional players and an exceptional management team. Dublin have that, it is probably a once-off and us Dubs are going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

For me this era is the first time Dublin have realized their real potential. Traditionally the Dublin team was made up of players from the north side of the county, it was always was always a tradititional strong hold in the county.

In my opinion the development of the game on the south side has seen the playing pool increase significantly and the quality bar raised over this era and added to a pool that was never really that far away from winning all Ireland’s throughout the history of the game.

Dublin have just realized it’s true potential as a whole county by developing the game across the county for the first time in its history.

I would be pretty confident that Dublin won’t go through a period like 83-95 or 95-11 again. They will boom and bust on occasion. But some significant developments have happened to safe gourd the future off the game in Dublin to realise its whole county potential.

You have to admire the chap for being able to successfully combine two great passions in his life - a deep rooted resentment of Dublin's recent success, and a desire to raise his own profile as a journalist. I suppose you have to pay the bills somehow.

Every word he utters on the subject, is simply more validation of this current Dublin teams greatness. Hopefully he will continue in this vein for many, many more years.

If there was no truth in what he has said there would be no obsession on Dublin fans part, they would just laugh it off and pay no heed whatsoever

If Dublin had to pay for their GDO funding themselves and they easily could given the sponsorship money they wouldn't be able to assemble the backroom team they have which gives them numerous 'marginal gains' which all added up make a big difference

If there was no truth in what he has said there would be no obsession on Dublin fans part, they would just laugh it off and pay no heed whatsoever

Obsessive behaviour is an apt description of Ewans "crusade" against the big, bad Dubs. But it's not about highlighting the perceived injustice or trying to right the supposed wrongs of the world.It's about getting noticed and getting paid.

Once you understand this core tenant of his actions, everything becomes alot clearer.

Motives aside, both the substance of his arguments, and the focus of them are questionable to say the least. That is not to say there is no merit in what he says, but it is far removed from the status of irrefutable truth.

Blaming Dublin for it's funding, is a bit like blaming a Weather forecaster for the rain. The DCB make a plan, submit it for funding, gain approval, spend. The results thus far speak for themselves. People Scoffed at the "Bluewave" initiative when it was unveiled. That was more then a decade ago. In the meantime, how many millions have been wasted on vanity projects, and botched financial decisions?

Likewise for fixture setting. You may as well blame Dublin's lack of away fixtures in Leinster on Wexford. Dublin don't decide where they play. When it comes to crunch time, every county board votes with it's wallet. Despite all their protests this year, when Dublin are drawn in the opening round next year against Kildare, Wicklow will happily vote to have the game moved. It's in their interests to do so.

Dublin are not the problem, they are a product of the endemic parochial nature of the GAA. Ewan's misdirected ire is not helping, in fact, it's doing the opposite. By painting the picture of the Big Bad Blue Monster, he is diverting attention from the real issues within the GAA. He is as culpable as any greasy-till-fumbling County Board for the situation we find ourselves in, and like them, he is not part of the solution, he's part of the problem. And all for a paycheque, and some likes on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

There’s clubs in Dublin that would beat nearly every inter county team.
    How they let their teams get so bad is criminal.

Spoken like a true Dub and the first sentence is probably true.

But you should try an get out of the big smoke now and then and see how the culchies have to manage on the crumbs left over. Whatever about the likes of Cork or Galway, rural decline is the order of the day.

Obsessive behaviour is an apt description of Ewans "crusade" against the big, bad Dubs. But it's not about highlighting the perceived injustice or trying to right the supposed wrongs of the world.It's about getting noticed and getting paid.

Once you understand this core tenant of his actions, everything becomes alot clearer.

Motives aside, both the substance of his arguments, and the focus of them are questionable to say the least. That is not to say there is no merit in what he says, but it is far removed from the status of irrefutable truth.

Blaming Dublin for it's funding, is a bit like blaming a Weather forecaster for the rain. The DCB make a plan, submit it for funding, gain approval, spend. The results thus far speak for themselves. People Scoffed at the "Bluewave" initiative when it was unveiled. That was more then a decade ago. In the meantime, how many millions have been wasted on vanity projects, and botched financial decisions?

Likewise for fixture setting. You may as well blame Dublin's lack of away fixtures in Leinster on Wexford. Dublin don't decide where they play. When it comes to crunch time, every county board votes with it's wallet. Despite all their protests this year, when Dublin are drawn in the opening round next year against Kildare, Wicklow will happily vote to have the game moved. It's in their interests to do so.

Dublin are not the problem, they are a product of the endemic parochial nature of the GAA. Ewan's misdirected ire is not helping, in fact, it's doing the opposite. By painting the picture of the Big Bad Blue Monster, he is diverting attention from the real issues within the GAA. He is as culpable as any greasy-till-fumbling County Board for the situation we find ourselves in, and like them, he is not part of the solution, he's part of the problem. And all for a paycheque, and some likes on twitter.

I think you'll find most people, including your great nemesis Ewan, lay the blame squarely at the door of the GAA. He has stated that numerous times.
    I don't think it's his fault if you fail to see that.

However I will say that the majority of people are pee'd off at Dublin fans for their insistence that everything is grand as it is. It's not and everybody else can't be wrong.

I don't see any obsession from Dublin fans, certainly not on here.

Whenever the issue of funding Dublin or splitting Dublin or unfair advantage to Dublin etc. come up, there are a small number of posters who seem to have registered primarily to discuss this issue on the anti-Dublin side. That is a symbol of obsession, and given the negativity of it, it is an unhealthy obsession.

largepants wrote: »
    I think you'll find most people, including your great nemesis Ewan, lay the blame squarely at the door of the GAA. He has stated that numerous times.
    I don't think it's his fault if you fail to see that.

However I will say that the majority of people are pee'd off at Dublin fans for their insistence that everything is grand as it is. It's not and everybody else can't be wrong.

Nemesis? Hardly. He's a guy trying to make a buck, just like almost everybody else. Not exactly sworn enemy material. I agree that he knows where the issues are, and he does, in fairness, state that on occasion. But in the main, he pushes a divisive narrative that distracts from the real issues. He's knows what he's doing though. Everyone wants a scapegoat, noone wants to be told they are part of the problem. Ewan is playing his audience for a paycheque. Kildare had their first win in nearly a year over the weekend, but he never tweeted a single word in support of his native county, instead we get a barrage of "look at Dublin, they've killed Leinster.".

As for thinking everything is grand as it is - you are spot on. If you happen to be a Dub, everything is great. It's bloody marvellous. Three in a row, and looking at a fourth. Yay! The DCB have done a great job, fair play. Sure we're alright Jack, sod the greater good.

Again, that's part of the problem. The parochial nature of the GAA does not stop at the banks of the Liffey. The DCB have fulfilled their mandate brilliantly, but the manner in which this was allowed to happen, has to be called into question.

But, until we collectively understand that every GAA member is culpable for it's current woes, and likewise, we are all responsible for fixing them collectively, we will never be able to tackle the issues what need to be tackled.

Ewan has no interest in seeing this happen, he's interested in profiting from the chaos. If I have a gripe with him, that's where it lies.

Nemesis? Hardly. He's a guy trying to make a buck, just like almost everybody else. Not exactly sworn enemy material. I agree that he knows where the issues are, and he does, in fairness, state that on occasion. But in the main, he pushes a divisive narrative that distracts from the real issues. He's knows what he's doing though. Everyone wants a scapegoat, noone wants to be told they are part of the problem. Ewan is playing his audience for a paycheque. Kildare had their first win in nearly a year over the weekend, but he never tweeted a single word in support of his native county, instead we get a barrage of "look at Dublin, they've killed Leinster.".

As for thinking everything is grand as it is - you are spot on. If you happen to be a Dub, everything is great. It's bloody marvellous. Three in a row, and looking at a fourth. Yay! The DCB have done a great job, fair play. Sure we're alright Jack, sod the greater good.

Again, that's part of the problem. The parochial nature of the GAA does not stop at the banks of the Liffey. The DCB have fulfilled their mandate brilliantly, but the manner in which this was allowed to happen, has to be called into question.

But, until we collectively understand that every GAA member is culpable for it's current woes, and likewise, we are all responsible for fixing them collectively, we will never be able to tackle the issues what need to be tackled.

Ewan has no interest in seeing this happen, he's interested in profiting from the chaos. If I have a gripe with him, that's where it lies.

Very balanced post.

Kudo's to you Sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The question posed in this thread is whether Dublin football should be split up.

The funds aren't as important as the depth of talent available to one county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

eagle eye wrote: »
    The question posed in this thread is whether Dublin football should be split up.

I don't know if that reason is better or worse than the financial argument.

Threatening to split a team because of their talent. Why would any county be ambitious if the end result meant their curtailment?

Fann Linn wrote: »

Threatening to split a team because of their talent. Why would any county be ambitious if the end result meant their curtailment?

There isn't a threat really is there, it is never going to happen..

There isn't a threat really is there, it is never going to happen..

You're right of course. Me? I'm just playing along with the protagonists in this little drama.

Fann Linn wrote:

The issue is that one county has something like a third of the population which makes it extremely unfair.

The issue is that one county has something like a third of the population which makes it extremely unfair.

Tis terrible altogether.

So we will divide every team up ta f**k so they all match the population of Louth..

• Advertisement

Tis terrible altogether.

So we will divide every team up ta f**k so they all match the population of Louth..

The Championship has always been skewed in favour of population - literally since it's inception. It is intrinsically biased from that perspective. Any competition seeking to be fair will first have to abandon the concept of using Counties as the catchment area for teams.

To make it completely fair, we would need to completely rebuild what the senior championship looks like. It would bear little to no resemblance to what we have now. Be careful what we wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin doesn't even have a third of the population of the Republic of Ireland never mind the island of Ireland!
    But even if you take the lowest value of 20%, it has a large share of the population yes. So what?

Kildare has 8 times the population of Longford.
    Galway has 8 times the population of Leitrim.
    Cork has 5 times the population of Clare.

If you use counties as a basis, you will never have fairness in population.
    And I can't think of an example from another sport where boundaries are geographically\regionally defined where a team was forced to split.

Sport is not about fairness, in that sense of fairness which is more equality of opportunity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Or, whatabout joining Louth and Meath? Where does it end?

I honeslty dont think it will ever happen, there is to much of a vested interest in Dublin for it to make sense.

Why would you disenfranchise a market of 1.5mill and what that would mean for profile, sponsors, advertisers, corporate facilities, legal suits on existing deals etc.

The GAA would be killing a golden goose, it doesnt make any sense really.

What would be interesting would be say if there was a threat of this and Dublin decided to pull out of the GAA, similar to what football clubs did in England and set up the PL outside of control of the remit of the F.A. a few enterprising counties may join them and hitch their wagon to the big Dublin market.

Cival war ensues and to be honest if it meant a better return financially for counties i would think a few could be tempted. Many of the business practices in the GAA commercially could be improved under different guidance.

What if all the other teams pull out?

Then Dublin just get the All-Ireland without even playing a match. At least that way teams dont get beaten by a cricket score on the football field.

Also it's not the case that it's all counties, we have London and New York in it too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement