Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

You're right. We should be ashamed for letting the national stadium be built in the capital city.

Where would you have put the stadium so?

Also, on behalf of all Dubs I'd like to thank you for contributing your taxes towards it. I mean, us not having to put our hands in our pockets was a real boon.

No Bonnie I'm not I'm pointing out the blinding obvious that each county has to upgrade its County grounds , it's actually not feasible to neglect them?

Obvious, No?

Nah, Dotsy this is a Golden Generation that will decline organically don't you know? 10 in a row including players that right now are between 10 and 12 years old? Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The bitterness, the blind adherence to meaningless infographics. We'll never sort out the GAA with this kind of attitude floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭High Fidelity

munster87 wrote: »
    Is it the last 4 minor All Ireland’s Kerry have won? ‘Wrong thing’

This is a very interesting point. When you look at the minor structure, it’s very similar to the old All Ireland structure, we’re kerry we’re able to beat every team in the hurling county and two games to an All Ireland, they amassed they bulk of their all Ireland’s under that structure.

Since Leinster has become less compeitive now Dublin have the same advantage and it’s amazing how the tables have turned in terms of that historical advantage.

It’s also interesting to look at Kerry at minor and progression to U20, the success just hasn’t translated there when it comes up against bigger profile counties then they seem to play in minor no disrespect to said counties.

I’m not saying the deck is loaded in Kerry’s favour at that level but it’s an interesting point on the advantage in the structure. Leinster is ,massively compeitive at that level and also play group round robin. Kerry are in a final with the same amount of games it takes to get to a Leinster final. Just as we are talking about equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In a thread full of gold. This is my favourite.

So what would suggest? Make Dublin bigger? Because if we split it it only gets easier to get to training and we can't be having that.

No. My point is that it is an advantage Dublin has ON TOP of all the others I listed.

The main advantage Dublin has is money money money.

Another thing. Put “the great” jim Gavin in charge of a smaller more representative county without the obscene ridiculous advantages Dublin have, and let’s see how well he fares.

Another thing. Put “the great” jim Gavin in charge of a smaller more representative county without the obscene ridiculous advantages Dublin have, and let’s see how well he fares.

I reckon he'd have got Mayo over the line by now. But that's just idle speculation.

• Advertisement

Jaden wrote: »
    The bitterness, the blind adherence to meaningless infographics. We'll never sort out the GAA with this kind of attitude floating about.

Yeah lets just ignore what a scholar who has worked with IC setups just because it highlights an inconvenient truth

Re:The 'genius' Jim Gavin he made way more mistakes than Rochford did last year, it's just the margin for error is far tinier when you have 17 players good enough to play for 75 mins as opposed to numerous superstars on the bench

This is a very interesting point. When you look at the minor structure, it’s very similar to the old All Ireland structure, we’re kerry we’re able to beat every team in the hurling county and two games to an All Ireland, they amassed they bulk of their all Ireland’s under that structure.

Since Leinster has become less compeitive now Dublin have the same advantage and it’s amazing how the tables have turned in terms of that historical advantage.

It’s also interesting to look at Kerry at minor and progression to U20, the success just hasn’t translated there when it comes up against bigger profile counties then they seem to play in minor no disrespect to said counties.

I’m not saying the deck is loaded in Kerry’s favourate at that level but it’s an interesting point on the advantage in the structure. Leinster is ,massively compeitive at that level and also play group round robin. Kerry are in a final with the same amount of games it takes to get to a Leinster final. Just as we are talking about equity.

Kerry beat Kildare by 22 points in 2016 so I'd pipe down if I were you. I'd love to know who these 'high profile counties' are. Ye lost to Derry last year who were subsequently beaten in the final by 24 points

26 wins in a row but apparently we don't invest in kids and actually according to this expert aren't very good................................

TrueGael wrote: »

Really so Kerry get a grant of 7million from the ISC and that’s ok and falls under capital expenditure Dublin get 1 mill per annum from the ISP it’s financial doping. Same money, same source, same purpose to develop young players.

I’m sure it is for college students as well, where does David Clifford go as a matter on interest, I’ve provided you with quotes saying it will be also used from the senior team down every grade at under age. Provide something that says it won’t.

Dublin train in innissfallis for the league and O B Cup it’s basically a shed and a pitch. They train in St Clair’s in DCU for the championship. The facilities were developed for the GAA by Pay Gilroy, many know him to be a captain of industry nationally and were developed through donations amongst the Dublin Dyaspra. That’s cool though isn’t it, fundraising and the like. Not sure why you bring up UCD and it’s relevence to Dublin. But you will know there were more Kerry county footballers on the Sigurdson team in UCD then Dublin, certainly started more games. Your welcome.

Look I’m not arguing with someone with Ewan McKenna graphs and someone bogging on about registered players. It’s been shot down so many times and anyone peddling it really doesn’t have s true picture of how gas finance works from games development, provincal coaching grants and so on. In actual fact it’s the best advertisement for Dublin funding out there, it shows the low registration of senior players in Dublin.

You are wrong and I have provided evidence that Kerry are grossly over funded through, central funds, Munster council, isc grants in addition to games development money and Munster council coaching grants. I’m all for it, I don’t begrudge it, but Kerry are up there when it comes to those who receive most out of the GAA.

You can call me a liar and sensationlise your posts all you like, it doesn’t change the facts as they are.

Kerry are failing and failing with massive investment, that is scandalous in comparison to other counties of a similar make up and creates a really uncompetitive advantage not so much witn Dublin, but counties like Mayo, Donegal even Galway.

The best thing going for Kerry is that they are in Dublins slip stream and there is a rivalry there to push the narrative e and market for the Gaa. The GAA are trying to fatten Kerry up to push the rivalry and make money in my personal opinion, to the detriment of other counties I mention. Problem being Kerry and proving a good investment.

P.s. I asked you nicely not to post guff.

Kerry beat Kildare by 22 points in 2016 so I'd pipe down if I were you. I'd love to know who these 'high profile counties' are. Ye lost to Derry last year who were subsequently beaten in the final by 24 points

26 wins in a row but apparently we don't invest in kids and actually according to this expert aren't very good................................

Kildare are hardly a power house of the GAA world though are they, no offense intended.

It was interesting watching what Galway did to the first batch of unbeatable minors last year when they graduated to U21. I would consider Galway a big county.

Yeah lets just ignore what a scholar who has worked with IC setups just because it highlights an inconvenient truth.

I wouldn't say I'm ignoring it, I would say I'm refuting it. I've posted about this a few times before, but I'd go over it again, if you'd like.
    Re:The 'genius' Jim Gavin he made way more mistakes than Rochford did last year, it's just the margin for error is far tinier when you have 17 players good enough to play for 75 mins as opposed to numerous superstars on the bench.

This might hold *some* weight, if Rochford's record in the league wasn't abysmal, and he wasn't 0/3 in the Provincials. No home win yet this year? Managers have walked for less.

He got the gig, due in no small part to Corafin's success in the AI Club. However, they seem to be getting on fine without him too.

His tactic of substitutions at the death of games is both persistent, and baffling.

Don't get me wrong, he does alot of stuff right. The first final of 2016 was, I think, his best game in charge, he did very little wrong.

All in all, I'll take Jim over him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Is it the last 4 minor All Ireland’s Kerry have won? ‘Wrong thing’

It is much harder to win consecutive minor All-Irelands than senior All-Irelands. The case for splitting Kerry is therefore more compelling than splitting Dublin based on that information.

Okay and Kerry beat Galway in the 2016 Final, I'd love to know who these high profile counties' are and why they didn't beat Kerry or why they weren't good enough to meet us. Kildare were the Leinster Champion in 2016 so heaven help the teams who were worse than them having to meet the strongest of those 4 minor teams. Until you stop conflating capital expenditure with Games Development Funding for Kerry (and only Kerry) I'm not wasting another second with you and your lies.

Jaden: The league is of no importance to Mayo, half of their team is based in Dublin so logically it is literally impossible for them to be in strong physical condition (as well as tactically) in February and March. The 3 Galway defeats - the last 2 had the caveat of very early sendings off and remember this is a Galway team who put it up to Dublin in the League Final (granted it was the league) but they are absolutely an up an coming team

Bar the 2016 Replay Goalkeeper Fiasco - Rochford has made plenty of ballsy calls and generally got them right. He hasn't the luxury of having a bunch of superstars to bring on whenever he wants he is working with a far weaker Hand and that he has got them so close to Glory isn't a reason to slate him, quite the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

High fidelity- you’re guilty of double standards. You used the 1.4 million GAA gave to Dublin on the GAA’s accounts in 2016 as evidence that 1.4million was all Dublin received for player development. When it was shown on Dublin’s own accounts they had got 2.77 million in 2016 from the SRC you maintained still only the 1.4 million was for player development. The other 1.37 million you decided to ignore.

Now you want to claim all money kerry received from all sources; government and GAA for capital developments is actually for player development.

You have shown yourself not to be able to play by your own rules.

I reckon he'd have got Mayo over the line by now. But that's just idle speculation.

Gavin would have Mayo going for a three-in-a-row.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is much harder to win consecutive minor All-Irelands than senior All-Irelands. The case for splitting Kerry is therefore more compelling than splitting Dublin based on that information.

Priorities I suppose. Some counties like to build white elephants while others like to invest in kids.

You have convinced me so much of Kerry's brilliance that the argument to split the county is irrefutable. So, where should the line between North and South Kerry be drawn?

Okay and Kerry beat Galway in the 2016 Final, I'd love to know who these high profile counties' are and why they didn't beat Kerry or why they weren't good enough to meet us. Kildare were the Leinster Champion in 2016 so heaven help the teams who were worse than them having to meet the strongest of those 4 minor teams. Until you stop conflating capital expenditure with Games Development Funding for Kerry (and only Kerry) I'm not wasting another second with you and your lies.

Jaden: The league is of no importance to Mayo, half of their team is based in Dublin so logically it is literally impossible for them to be in strong physical condition (as well as tactically) in February and March. The 3 Galway defeats - the last 2 had the caveat of very early sendings off and remember this is a Galway team who put it up to Dublin in the League Final (granted it was the league) but they are absolutely an up an coming team

Bar the 2016 Replay Goalkeeper Fiasco - Rochford has made plenty of ballsy calls and generally got them right. He hasn't the luxury of having a bunch of superstars to bring on whenever he wants he is working with a far weaker Hand and that he has got them so close to Glory isn't a reason to slate him, quite the opposite

I don’t blame you trying to reverse out of the debate mate, if you don’t have a grip of your own counties finances it’s a bit crazy to sling mud at another’s.

Its time to look closer to home and not waste the boom financially for Kerry I think, obsessing over the Dubs isn’t a healthy occupation in the south west I honestly believe.

Priorities I suppose. Some counties like to build white elephants while others like to invest in kids.

I have already said it. You are so convincing about how great Kerry are and the success of their minors so I am willing to accept that they should be split.

I mean, Dublin are no challenge to them at minor level so Kerry are the problem with uncompetitiveness.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Also every other county doesn't have an annual 1.5 million coming to them to develop players.

Im sorry but your figures are wrong here.

Dublin received 1.2 mill of games development funding.

That is a figure that has been reduced every year since 2013.

Its actually the first time in all those years, in the history of thee GAA history a team that has won an All Ireland has had their allocation cut.

So which is it High fidelity? Did Dublin receive 1.4 million for games development funding in 2016? Or did they receive 2.77 million as shown on Dublin’s own accounts?

Gavin would have Mayo going for a three-in-a-row.

Given Mayo's huge resource advantages over their provincial rivals, you'd think they could win at least one provincial title. This holds doubly true given they'd won 6 of the previous 7.

Surely a manager coming in to that kind of streak, and then showing up empty handed for three years would raise at least some eyebrows?

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    So which is it High fidelity? Did Dublin receive 1.4 million for games development funding in 2016? Or did they receive 2.77 million as shown on Dublin’s own accounts?

Doesn't really matter. As TrueGael has pointed out, Kerry are doing such a marvellous job at minor level and winning all round them, that we no longer need to worry about splitting Dublin so we just need to start discussing splitting Kerry.

Doesn't really matter. As TrueGael has pointed out, Kerry are doing such a marvellous job at minor level and winning all round them, that we no longer need to worry about splitting Dublin so we just need to start discussing splitting Kerry.

Fast and loose is the term I would give for Dublin’s posters grasp of GAA figures. 2.77 million is what Dublin GAA say they received from the government and the gaa in 2016. When Dublin fans can’t even accept the figures on their own county board’s income and expenditure report the rest of us know they are talking through their holes.

Given Mayo's huge resource advantages over their provincial rivals, you'd think they could win at least one provincial title. This holds doubly true given they'd won 6 of the previous 7.

Surely a manager coming in to that kind of streak, and then showing up empty handed for three years would raise at least some eyebrows?

Mayo in fairness to them do brilliant work fundraising and commercially I really admire the work they do. Between fundraising and commercial activity they aren’t far behind Dublin, commercial and fundraising income.

That’s what makes the Kerry financial doping so unfair.

I have already said it. You are so convincing about how great Kerry are and the success of their minors so I am willing to accept that they should be split.

I mean, Dublin are no challenge to them at minor level so Kerry are the problem with uncompetitiveness.

You were referring to Kerry and Cork in that statement in a very negative light, own it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

This is going to be a long post. In fact, very long. I hope to include as much information as possible about the current financial situation we have in Dublin, the problems it's caused and the problems it will cause. I also will add a list of solutions. I'm basically summing up this whole thread in one post.

Where it all began

First of all to the beginning. Where did this finance come from? Well, the idea was introduced by the Strategic Review Committee headed by former president Peter Quinn. They looked at the work that was being done by the Dublin County Board and they decided it needed improvement. They saw it as the population being too big for one county board to manage.
    Here's what Christy Cooney, who chaired the sub committee that examined Dublin, had to say; "You must remember that there are 1.4 million people in the region and 2,000,000 or more will be there in 20 years time. There's no way one county board is going to manage that. We met all of the units in Dublin last year, as well as the county board. Improvements are necessary and that's not the fault of the board or clubs." Christy's numbers are a bit off, he overestimated both population figures but you get his point.
    Peter Quinn stated; "We are recommending sizeable investment in terms of finance and personnel. We recognise that Dublin needs special attention, it's a key strategic matter."
    He also said “Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity'. Meaning it would be mutually beneficial for the GAA and Dublin GAA to join forces. Dublin would increase standards and playing numbers across the county and the GAA would gain increased revenue from the growing popularity of Gaelic Games in Dublin.
    Other recommendations from that committee was to split Dublin in two using the liffey as the boundary between north and south.

The Master Plan

From there negotiations began. These negotiations involved the Dublin County Board, the Leinster Council, the GAA and government ministers. They lasted two years and from it the master plan was formed. It's main aims were to divide the county into regions, loosely based on existing local authority areas, and focus its efforts on raising the profile of Gaelic games in schools, improving recruitment for clubs and establishing a structure for developing elite talent.
    The strategy involved devolving work to regional areas, where the focus will be sharper on servicing the schools in those regions and identifying the elite talent. Kevin O'Shaughnessy was appointed Strategic Programme Manager. Reporting to him were the regional development officers, the hurling development officers and the games promotion officers.
    Sean Kelly, who chaired the joint-committee that agreed the initiatives, said that the plans would 'make Dublin what it should be - the greatest GAA county in Ireland'. But what happened to the Strategic Review Committees other proposal you ask? They suggested higher investment in Dublin but also to split the county in two. Well somehow that was put off the table. Sean Kelly: 'No one's suggesting that Dublin should be divided in two. That's hogwash. No one's saying that for the moment.'
    Interesting last line from Sean. Anyway, what did this sizeable investment involve. With huge Dublin GAA supporter Bertie Ahern being the Taoiseach of the day, finding government support for this plan proved easy.
    The funding was to come from the GAA, Leinster council and a grant by from the citizens of Ireland, paid through the Irish Sports Council. As we know with the GAA, finding information and full records can sometimes be difficult. The announcement when the plan was launched by Bertie was that Dublin GAA would receive 7 million over 3 years. That is 2.3 million per year. The Dublin GAA released accounts gives a figure of 2.5 million for 2015 and 2.7 million for 2016.

taiuis.jpg

The Figures

However, the GAA annual accounts state a lower figure. As this figure was also used to calculate other statistics that I will post later, we will use the GAA annual accounts figure. The following table is what they received yearly under the Games Development heading in the GAA's accounts.

1oq3vk.png

That's 17,809,863 million between 2005 and 2017. To put that in perspective, I've created the below table to show the 2nd highest amount received by a county and the lowest received by a county every year. The county who received the most and the least changed most years. I couldn't find the accounts for 2014.

25sllqp.png

As you can see, it was quite low for most counties for many years, it has increased a bit since 2015.

Now I will add graphics that are far superior than mine but will also show the imbalance:

hv7a15.jpg

2jcastl.jpg

2r29j0w.jpg

These graphics were created by Shane Mangan, a qualified data analyst among other things. He has worked with the Dublin hurlers in the past. Here's an article which explains how he reached these figures.
    http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/gaelic-football/smangan/money-influence-success-gaelic-football/

1055i74.jpg

This one was done by glack, a poster here on boards.

So as you can see, the evidence is damning. The level of funding Dublin GAA receive in comparison to all other counties is astronomical.

Does Money Equal Success

A common example of money equaling success is with British Olympic funding. Here's a good graphic about the UK's increased spending and increased success.

34dld15.png

And another:

xlgdx5.png

This one shows the effects income has on medals gained at the Olympics. It has bonus material about the effect being at home has on winning.
    vr58n6.png

The Olympics is sometimes described as an amateur event but we know that's not always the case. So comparing Gaelic Games with the Olympics or any professional sports can be quite difficult. What effect can the level of funding Dublin have received bring to Gaelic Games. What I've done here is compare the trends pre funding to post funding. It's a 13 year spell either side so it can give us a good indication.

2s82pzb.png

As you can see that's pretty damning evidence once again. 14 titles in the 13 before the funding, 51 titles in the 13 years after.

Is it just Games Development money alone causing this upsurge?

The answer is no. The games development money does a lot. As I've stated earlier, it creates elite talent, develops great athletes, leaving the system players are prepared to a professional level and are ready for senior football. This has the knock on effect of gaining a huge number of underage titles but it isn't the main aim of the system.
    The other thing pushing this upsurge is the other finance available to Dublin. There's a lot of it. Of course freeing up resources by having your underage machine paid for helps this but the sponsorship money Dublin receives is a vital cog. There was the 6 million Vodafone deal in 2009. With increased success Dublin became even more enticing to sponsors. This led to a bidding war in 2013. AIG won this and with the recent deal added, they're up to 8 million in sponsorship money.
    Added to this is a long list of other sponsors. These include; O Neills, Lifestyle sports, Ballygowan, Subaru, Aer Lingus, Energise Sports, Gourmet food parlour, the Gibson Hotel and more.
    With this Dublin GAA can prepare their senior teams to a professional level. Anything that's required is available to the hurling and football management teams. They have paid coaches of all hues. Backs coaches, forward coaches, physiologists, psychologists, basketball coaches, Olympic gold medalists, World champion boxers. They are able to provide players with top nutritional content through their meal providers who prepare weekly meals.
    This preparation is of course assisted by being trained in some of the best facilities in the country. Multi million euro units. An extra assistance for Dublin senior footballers is that they play almost every championship game at home. As we've seen earlier with the Olympics, home advantage helps a lot. Dublin footballers haven't played a championship game away since 2006.
    There's even more advantages. Dublin have a population of 1.4 million. That's one fifth of our islands population. To have that, massive financial resources, top facilities and of course the highly funded development system means that Dublin GAA is in a position where failure seems virtually impossible.

There are some who still argue against that though.

How can anyone say these advantages aren't huge?

Population

They say that because Dublin have a higher population, they deserve more money. This is true. They do need more money but the proportion they get currently far outweighs their population requirements, especially compared to every other county who receive far less. It must be remembered that having a greater population is an advantage. Leitrim would definitely attest to that.
    Competition with other sports

There are many sports in Dublin, there's competition with Leinster rugby and soccer. This is true in many other counties too. Kids play a wide variety of sports in every county. Rugby is massive in areas of Munster, Ulster and Connacht. Other counties have other issues also, like in Ulster, many don't want anything to do with Gaelic games. Emigration is a bigger issue outside of Dublin, as is moving from your home county to another.
    This is a one off team

Defenders of this say that the Dublin senior footballers are only a one off team, once they're gone everything will be back to normal.
    First of all this ignores the huge improvements made at underage level in both hurling and football and the senior hurlers. As my earlier graphic shows, Dublin have won 51 titles since the funding began. That isn't a one off, that is a continuing trend of success in all grades, at all age levels and it's showing no sign of slowing down.
    Also, they site one off players such as Cluxton, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan. Those players were there when Dublin were getting destroyed in the later stages of the championship. Things changed when the conveyor belt of talent arrived. That conveyor belt is still in motion. Obviously we can't ignore that 3 of those players aren't starters anymore, they don't seem to miss them too much.
    If it's about money why haven't the hurlers won more?

What level did the hurlers come from? Before the funding the got destroyed by Offaly, lost to Laois by 4 goals and lost to Westmeath. Since then they have won a National hurling league and a Leinster title, they're things the counties that were at their level can only dream about. Aided by the many excellent underage teams, the Dublin senior hurlers are currently in a very healthy state. Competitive at the top level and with a great chance of making more strides in the next few years.
    In comparison the Dublin footballers were at a higher level before the funding. The increase in standards is similar, just from different starting points.
    Football was always dominated by a few

This is true of the past. Kerry and Dublin were dominant for a long time and they will always be competitive at the top level. Things changed between the 70's and the 90's though. Ulster counties were coming towards the end of 'the troubles' and were making a breakthrough. Standards in other counties raised. In Leinster for example. Prior to the funding Leinster titles were won by Westmeath and Laois. Meath, Kildare and Offaly before that.
    It was wide open and competitive. All Ireland's were won by Galway, Meath, Armagh, Tyrone. Kerry and Dublin were also winning things but it was a vibrant competition.
    Other counties get funding too

Yes other counties get funding too but, as the earlier images show, no where near the level of Dublin's funding. What we are not including is money for stadiums, centres of excellence etc. That's because if we included that, Dublin would be farther ahead in terms of financial support given.
    It's just jealousy

I'm sure there are some people that are jealous. Who doesn't want to see your county win lots of titles? I think for the most part though, it's a case of unfairness that irks people. Why should one county be getting this special treatment?
    Why punish a team for being too good, it's up to others to catch up?

As I've already pointed out, the huge financial imbalance makes that almost impossible. Examples are used such as Kilkenny in hurling and Kerry in football. Neither of these had the advantages Dublin have. Dublin GAA is in an unprecedented position. The long list of advantages has never and probably will never be seen in the GAA. Also as been pointed out, it's not just the senior footballers but all levels and grades that's the issue. It's unfair and anti the ethos of the GAA to have a county operating with this level of finance.
    What issues does and will the financial doping cause?

This is already having a major affect. The Leinster championship is dead. Dublin have won every title bar one since the funding began. Other counties are demoralised, players aren't bothering playing, attendances will drop, even Dublin supporters aren't showing up in big numbers.
    Now the only teams that can compete with Dublin are teams with money. This in itself is another huge issue. Financial clout shouldn't be the way counties compete.
    In hurling, people are delighted to see another county compete but why just Dublin? Why not the other counties that were at the same level?
    There are more and more calls for teams to be thrown into a B championship in football. The super 8's is another step towards the bigger counties having their own championship leaving the others behind. This is very dangerous. That will result in the lowering of standards across a huge range of counties. Like we see in the hurling championship, the Joe McDonagh cup gets very little coverage, it's very hard to step up to the top level. If we have the football equivalent of the Joe McDonagh, it will leave the same amount of teams able to win All Ireland's. I.e very little.
    There's also the danger of the game turning professional. This would only be viable in very few counties. Not to be overly dramatic but, if something isn't done to stop this financial doping it will be very damaging to Gaelic Games. It will be very hard to recover from.

The Solutions

Leave it the same

We could leave everything the same and watch as counties struggle to get any finance they can muster together to try to remain on Dublin's coattails. This isn't sustainable.
    Evenly divide the development funding

This is an obvious option but shouldn't it have been done at the start? After 13 years of financial doping, Dublin are so far ahead of other counties. It would take a long time to catch up. Plus, Dublin GAA are fighting against any reduction in the funding they receive.
    Split Dublin in two

This was the original proposals from the Strategic Review Committee. Dublin GAA took their financial and planning recommendations but refused to entertain the splitting suggestion. It's a case of having your cake and eating it too.
    Split Dublin into four

Dublin is already divided into the four council areas for coaching and development purposes. It wouldn't take much to organise this. The financial doping has been ongoing for 13 years now. Four competitive teams with large populations is a very viable option and the teams should be well able to compete.
    Suspend Dublin until other counties get a piece of the pie

This might be more palatable to some Dublin supporters. Dublin will be suspended until other counties get to finance a production system for their own players. Dublin will return in say 5 years and hopefully on a more equal footing.

My recommendations

For what it's worth, this is what I hope will happen.

I hope plans are placed to split Dublin into 4. Dublin City with a population of over 500,000, Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown with a bit over 200,000, Fingal with almost 300,000 and South Dublin with slightly less. These are four viable counties with the population to compete. The plan has worked, standards have improved in all these areas. Playing numbers are up and Gaelic Games has grown. There's no reason these teams can't compete at the top level and it will give more players a chance to play inter county football and hurling.

That's a start, from there every county should be given equal opportunity to compete. What do I mean by this? Well, like the plan for Dublin, it should involve a Strategic Planning Officer with regional development officers, the hurling development officers and the games promotion officers reporting to him.
    They are under strict guidelines to promote hurling and football in their counties. There will be targets that have to be met and standards that need to be reached. No counties will be allowed give favourable treatment to one code over the other.
    Obviously the level of funding won't be exactly the same for each county. Everyone will get what's needed to cover their population base. It will be fair, unlike the system we have now.

What must happen now

If this is left up to the various county boards then nothing will change. Dublin county board will never voluntarily change or give up the money. Most of the county boards in other counties are plain useless. It's up to us in our clubs to stand against it. It will do serious damage to our games. We have to make as much noise as possible. We probably need big names to voice their concern. Get this covered on the Sunday Game, get it onto the radio, get it into the newspapers.
    This isn't a good thing for anyone, including Dublin supporters. Winning is nice but knowing that it was done through financial means taints it. This isn't what Gaelic Games is all about. It's an amateur sport, let's go back to that again.

I think this sums everything up. If anyone disagrees with any of this then they are free to argue politely. Others may have other ideas or other solutions. I'd love to hear them. Any abuse or deflection will be ignored however.

That's the end of it now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can I get a TLDR?

Can I get a TLDR?

This:

Financial doping

Has lead to this:

51 titles between 2005-2018

Which means this:

Time to split Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Can I get a TLDR?

Unfortunately, he is looking at the wrong county. As TrueGael has pointed out, Kerry have won the last four minor football titles in a row, a near impossible feat at that level. Dublin are nowhere, and it is clear they should have spent their money hothousing young players as Kerry did by building their centres of excellence with state money, rather than what Dublin did, widening participation to give every young child in the county a chance to play our national games.

Dontmatter is chasing up the wrong tree, he should be looking at Kerry to see what they are doing.

The lesson

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

You didn't read any of the long post.

Unfortunately, he is looking at the wrong county. As TrueGael has pointed out, Kerry have won the last four minor football titles in a row, a near impossible feat at that level. Dublin are nowhere, and it is clear they should have spent their money hothousing young players as Kerry did by building their centres of excellence with state money, rather than what Dublin did, widening participation to give every young child in the county a chance to play our national games.

Dontmatter is chasing up the wrong tree, he should be looking at Kerry to see what they are doing.

The lesson

2s82pzb.png

Explain the 51 titles compared to 14 then?

Fair play DONT MATTER, it’s well presented.

I don’t agree that Dublin should be split but we are heading for a day of reckoning sometime in the next 10 years. Dublin are as close to unbeatable as I’ve ever seen any Sports team and if people don’t feel they can compete they aren’t going to try and if they aren’t going to try then no one (including dubs) are going to pay to watch.

If you want change hurt the GAA in their bottom line.

Fair play DONT MATTER, it’s well presented.

I don’t agree that Dublin should be split but we are heading for a day of reckoning sometime in the next 10 years. Dublin are as close to unbeatable as I’ve ever seen any Sports team and if people don’t feel they can compete they aren’t going to try and if they aren’t going to try then no one (including dubs) are going to pay to watch.

If you want change hurt the GAA in their bottom line.

Thanks. I don't know if my solution or your solution would work out but we all can see that something has to happen.

• Advertisement

This:

Financial doping

Has lead to this:

51 titles between 2005-2018

Which means this:

Time to split Dublin

The problem with your analysis is that the money only started in 2005, so the first lot of 7-year olds are only 20 now, and given it would have taken time to set it up and find the right kids (if the intention was to make a new generation of kids), the best of the lot are only between 16 and 18 and should therefore be winning all round them at minor level, I mean that is what is happening, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The Championship has always been skewed in favour of population - literally since it's inception. It is intrinsically biased from that perspective. Any competition seeking to be fair will first have to abandon the concept of using Counties as the catchment area for teams.

To make it completely fair, we would need to completely rebuild what the senior championship looks like. It would bear little to no resemblance to what we have now. Be careful what we wish for.

Well then you have to question the GAA on it's priorities. It often says the club is at the heart of the GAA but in the public eye, the games are really all about the inter county scene. And Croke Park devotes a lot of time, effort and consideration to the county game. They are the showcase of the sports.

So if the 'county game' is intrinsically biased and it patently is, well what the feck are they at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

How about the other teams just improve....

The problem with your analysis is that the money only started in 2005, so the first lot of 7-year olds are only 20 now, and given it would have taken time to set it up and find the right kids (if the intention was to make a new generation of kids), the best of the lot are only between 16 and 18 and should therefore be winning all round them at minor level, I mean that is what is happening, isn't it?

2s82pzb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have you ever read what you've written @DontMatter?

Your Olympics statistics show an income effect for football of 0.06.
    Cycling has an income effect of 0.95.
    This relates to the income of the country, nothing to do with per capita, purchasing power funding of the sport - but even if we assume correlation between GDP levels and funding, it does nothing to prove your point.

It is well known that British olympic funding is directed to sports with a strong income effect.

Is Gaelic football more like association football or cycling?
    If the statistics show anything, it is that football has a very weak income effect!

ps you also keep repeating that Dublin hurlers were worse pre-funding than Laois & Westmeath. It's simply untrue. Dublin hurlers have a superior league and championship record to both those teams between 1990 and 2010. Dublin reached two Leinster finals in 1990 and 1991, losing to Kilkenny by 2 points in 1991. Laois last reached Leinster final in 1985 and Westmeath in 1937.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Why punish a team for being too good, it's up to others to catch up?

As I've already pointed out, the huge financial imbalance makes that almost impossible. Examples are used such as Kilkenny in hurling and Kerry in football. Neither of these had the advantages Dublin have. Dublin GAA is in an unprecedented position. The long list of advantages has never and probably will never be seen in the GAA. Also as been pointed out, it's not just the senior footballers but all levels and grades that's the issue. It's unfair and anti the ethos of the GAA to have a county operating with this level of finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Dead right. Shouldn’t be impossible to challenge a team when it comes down to 20 v 20 or so on any given day.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you ever read what you've written @DontMatter?

Your Olympics statistics show an income effect for football of 0.06.
    Cycling has an income effect of 0.95.
    This relates to the income of the country, nothing to do with per capita, purchasing power funding of the sport - but even if we assume correlation between GDP levels and funding, it does nothing to prove your point.

It is well known that British olympic funding is directed to sports with a strong income effect.

Is Gaelic football more like association football or cycling?
    If the statistics show anything, it is that football has a very weak income effect!

ps you also keep repeating that Dublin hurlers were worse pre-funding than Laois & Westmeath. It's simply untrue. Dublin hurlers have a superior league and championship record to both those teams between 1990 and 2010. Dublin reached two Leinster finals in 1990 and 1991, losing to Kilkenny by 2 points in 1991. Laois last reached Leinster final in 1985 and Westmeath in 1937.

Is that the only thing you can argue about? As I said, it's very hard to compare professional sports with amateur one's, especially international sports.

I'm saying they were on the same level. Each could beat each other but were behind the top level. This has changed, Laois and Westmeath about the same level as they were but Dublin far ahead. I've shown why that's happened.

Dead right. Shouldn’t be impossible to challenge a team when it comes down to 20 v 20 or so on any given day.

Answered above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Of course not.The problem is money.We won't be seeing the likes of AIG investing in Carlow Leitrim and Sligo anytime soon!Dublins success is down to great players great management and great work done at underage.Of course the financial advantage Dublin has over it's competitors would be another factor.But splitting Dublin is a nonsense idea, i think taking Dublin out of their Croke Park comfort zone, for some championship games would be a much more realistic option.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

It was part of the long post, I've answered all excuses in it.

It's amazing that you've answered like that. Are you oblivious to the irony of your post?

2s82pzb.png

If you look again at the figures, you will see that the real change is in Leinster. Between 2005 and 2018, Dublin won less national titles than Leinster teams did in the previous period you reference.

In that earlier period, the excellence of Leinster teams prevented Dublin getting out of Leinster and winning national titles. With the collapse of Leinster teams, and Meath in particular, the path to Leinster titles is clear and unchallenged (giving Dublin a free run and a large increase) and the average number won by Leinster champions is relatively unchanged, until the last five years when an exceptional Dublin team is now challenging as the best of all time.

As I have pointed out already, of the 20 players used by Gavin in the 2013 All-Ireland final, 14 have already seen championship action this summer, with O'Gara likely to get a few minutes at some stage, 3 more - Brogan, Connolly and O'Carroll would have seen action only for injury or travel. The other two have retired. 2 of the unused substitutes from 2013 - Fitzsimons and Daly have also seen action, making it a remarkable continuity.

If your premise was really true, then it would be Dublin, not Kerry winning minor All-Irelands all the time and many more of the 2013 senior team would have been forced out.

The reality is the money has helped participation rates among weaker kids all over the city by giving them and at the same time, a truly exceptional group of players are making history as the GOAT.

Unfortunately, bitterness and jealousy are blinding too many to the greatness of this Dublin team.

2s82pzb.png

If you look again at the figures, you will see that the real change is in Leinster. Between 2005 and 2018, Dublin won less national titles than Leinster teams did in the previous period you reference.

Nonsense, the improvement is in every bracket at national, Leinster, underage, hurling and football. You’re Cherry picking and forming a narrative that doesn’t exist.

In that earlier period, the excellence of Leinster teams prevented Dublin getting out of Leinster and winning national titles. With the collapse of Leinster teams, and Meath in particular, the path to Leinster titles is clear and unchallenged (giving Dublin a free run and a large increase) and the average number won by Leinster champions is relatively unchanged, until the last five years when an exceptional Dublin team is now challenging as the best of all time.

As I have pointed out already, of the 20 players used by Gavin in the 2013 All-Ireland final, 14 have already seen championship action this summer, with O'Gara likely to get a few minutes at some stage, 3 more - Brogan, Connolly and O'Carroll would have seen action only for injury or travel. The other two have retired. 2 of the unused substitutes from 2013 - Fitzsimons and Daly have also seen action, making it a remarkable continuity.

If your premise was really true, then it would be Dublin, not Kerry winning minor All-Irelands all the time and many more of the 2013 senior team would have been forced out.

The reality is the money has helped participation rates among weaker kids all over the city by giving them and at the same time, a truly exceptional group of players are making history as the GOAT.

Unfortunately, bitterness and jealousy are blinding too many to the greatness of this Dublin team.

Leinster teams won 3 All Ireland's between 1992 and 2005 and 3 National leagues. Dublin have won 5 All Ireland's and 5 National leagues between 2005 and 2018. So your first point is completely wrong.

Leinster counties are demoralised is football. They were well able to compete up until the financial doping.

The majority of players came through the multi million euro system and then benefited from the huge finance pumped into the Dublin senior team.

What you're ignoring is all the other titles. You don't have any excuse or deflection for the 29 titles won in other grades and codes. This is a massive amount of titles bought.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement