Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It was made by the Strategic Review Committee in 2002. They recommended splitting Dublin in two along with the increase in funding.

In fairness the suggestion makes sense from a population and participation point of view, but it would be so unpopular that it will never happen. I could see a lot of Dublin supporters boycotting the sport and that serves nobody.

There is probably a better argument for it at underage grades where the huge numbers of players could be better accommodated across multiple teams to give them IC experience, maybe up to minor grade. You never really know with lads that young and I am sure there are excellent players being omitted under the current system.

It’s probably too early to say overall whether Dublin’s senior team are now an unstoppable juggernaut as some people are suggesting. If they win 7-8 out of the next 10 All Ireland’s then there is no doubt the GAA have a huge issue. There is a very real chance of that too given they have dominated the U21 grade since the turn of the decade. Galway and Kerry appear to be coming again but outside of that it’s hard to see anybody else bothering them.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

mickeyk wrote: »
    In fairness the suggestion makes sense from a population and participation point of view, but it would be so unpopular that it will never happen. I could see a lot of Dublin supporters boycotting the sport and that serves nobody.

There is probably a better argument for it at underage grades where the huge numbers of players could be better accommodated across multiple teams to give them IC experience, maybe up to minor grade. You never really know with lads that young and I am sure there are excellent players being omitted under the current system.

It’s probably too early to say overall whether Dublin’s senior team are now an unstoppable juggernaut as some people are suggesting. If they win 7-8 out of the next 10 All Ireland’s then there is no doubt the GAA have a huge issue. There is a very real chance of that too given they have dominated the U21 grade since the turn of the decade. Galway and Kerry appear to be coming again but outside of that it’s hard to see anybody else bothering them.

They can't have their cake and eat it too. The proposals were to finance Dublin and to split them. They took the money and now it's time for the split. If not, it'll be a case of other counties boycotting or more likely, other counties being booted out and the teams with money having a competition among themselves. That can't be allowed to happen.

Your next suggestion is actually quite similar to what's actually happening now.
    Underage structures are already split into the 4 areas; Dublin city, Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and Fingal.
    It would make sense to continue that into underage competitions and to senior level. How many players are missing out on inter county football and hurling under the current system? These 4 counties will have large populations, they all have top facilities and as we know, the structures are already in place.
    It would take a couple of years to adjust but supporters would buy into it. More players from their local clubs will be seeing inter county football. Big rivalries will grow, some epic battles.
    Only positive outcomes can come from this. If we align this with fair budgets for all counties, then everyone will be competing on an equal footing and we'll have many contenders for top honours.

We can't put this on the back burner. Steps towards this has to be made in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They can't have their cake and eat it too. The proposals were to finance Dublin and to split them. They took the money and now it's time for the split. If not, it'll be a case of other counties boycotting or more likely, other counties being booted out and the teams with money having a competition among themselves. That can't be allowed to happen.

Your next suggestion is actually quite similar to what's actually happening now.
    Underage structures are already split into the 4 areas; Dublin city, Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and Fingal.
    It would make sense to continue that into underage competitions and to senior level. How many players are missing out on inter county football and hurling under the current system? These 4 counties will have large populations, they all have top facilities and as we know, the structures are already in place.
    It would take a couple of years to adjust but supporters would buy into it. More players from their local clubs will be seeing inter county football. Big rivalries will grow, some epic battles.
    Only positive outcomes can come from this. If we align this with fair budgets for all counties, then everyone will be competing on an equal footing and we'll have many contenders for top honours.

We can't put this on the back burner. Steps towards this has to be made in the near future.

I understand where you are coming from but the political will isn’t there at the moment. I’d be against splitting the senior team personally, but like I said, if they continue to dominate the NFL and championship for the next 5-10 then the issue will certainly need to be carefully reviewed.

I wasn’t aware that the additional funding was contingent on a split in the future. That was never realistic once they started to taste a bit of success.

I think the GAA need to continue to rebalance the funding and try to implement elements of the Dublin and Kerry models in other counties. That’s the best you’ll get at this stage no matter how conclusive an argument you put forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭High Fidelity

I see we are still ignoring cumulative funding, limited thread and narrow debate without, if talking about actual investment equitably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Folks, the OP asked a simple question. Should Dublin be split in two? The polls have spoken, lets take it as 72% want to keep it as it is. That's more of a majority than the last referendum. Democracy and all that.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Dots1982 wrote: »
    This is probably the best thing you’ve contributed in my opinion on this.

No doubt Dublin’s plan was really to transform participation rates while other counties are more focused on just keeping their head above water with regards to pumping money into senior teams.

But this focus on participation rate increases that has been going on since 2005 does improve Dublin’s senior team. It will spread the game to kids. Some kids will play until 14, some till 20, some all their adult lives and some will play for Dublin. It’s not reasonable to give the impression that the money only helped kids that will never be good enough to play for Dublin.

There is a lot at play here apart from the money. Due to the last 30 years of urbanization; the change in Ireland from an agricultural economy to a modern European economy. There are a lot of socio-economic factors that have made Dublin the center of everything in Ireland and GAA is just part of this.

This is not going to change. Dublin is going to get bigger and bigger. GAA is going to become more professional and more inline with cutting edge professional sports. “Might” whether might of population, might of money will lead to Dublin becoming more and more powerful.

As far as I see it this will lead to something having to give in the elite structure of the game.

I would argue that the gains from increased participation rates are marginal at best.

Many of the players playing for Dublin today - McCarthy, Rock, McCaffrey etc. come from a long lineage and would be playing inter-county anyway. Certainly the team of today hasn't benefitted from the money poured into participation rates.

You may well be right about the future. Unfortunately, we are not seeing it at minor level yet. If investment in participation rates was the key, then Dublin would be winning every year at minor level. Not happening. For the moment, and we are only looking at where we are today, it is not possible to draw a causitive conclusion from the increased expenditure.

However, in 7 or 8 years, when the likes of Cluxton, McMahon, Cooper, Mccarthy, Rock, O'Sullivan, MacAuley, Kilkenny, Andrews, Connolly etc. have joined the Brogans and Bastick in retirement and Dublin are still putting three-in-a-rows together, then there might be a question to be answered. However, this current team would have happened anyway, with the major decisions and reasons being the appointments of Gilroy, Gavin and Farrell, together with a one-off generation of talent.

Even then, the Kerry way of spending money may well be the best at turning the raw material of kids into winners at All-Ireland level, but it is not the focus of the Dublin expenditure.

It was made by the Strategic Review Committee in 2002. They recommended splitting Dublin in two along with the increase in funding.

Can you link to the particular GAA decision that the funding was made conditional on a split?

mickeyk wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from but the political will isn’t there at the moment. I’d be against splitting the senior team personally, but like I said, if they continue to dominate the NFL and championship for the next 5-10 then the issue will certainly need to be carefully reviewed.

I wasn’t aware that the additional funding was contingent on a split in the future. That was never realistic once they started to taste a bit of success.

I think the GAA need to continue to rebalance the funding and try to implement elements of the Dublin and Kerry models in other counties. That’s the best you’ll get at this stage no matter how conclusive an argument you put forward.

I think 5-10 years will be too late but it's important to get coverage for this. Like I said, more people on tv, radio and newspapers. The full extent of the financial advantages handed to Dublin is not really known.

No, the plan was to split and finance simultaneously. Negotiations begun but the split was taken off the table at some stage. Obviously, all sides realised this was not the end of that matter however.

I think if everyone looks at what's happening and realises the direction Gaelic Games is travelling in, they will want change. It's not a good path for anybody.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I would argue that the gains from increased participation rates are marginal at best.

Many of the players playing for Dublin today - McCarthy, Rock, McCaffrey etc. come from a long lineage and would be playing inter-county anyway. Certainly the team of today hasn't benefitted from the money poured into participation rates.

You may well be right about the future. Unfortunately, we are not seeing it at minor level yet. If investment in participation rates was the key, then Dublin would be winning every year at minor level. Not happening. For the moment, and we are only looking at where we are today, it is not possible to draw a causitive conclusion from the increased expenditure.

However, in 7 or 8 years, when the likes of Cluxton, McMahon, Cooper, Mccarthy, Rock, O'Sullivan, MacAuley, Kilkenny, Andrews, Connolly etc. have joined the Brogans and Bastick in retirement and Dublin are still putting three-in-a-rows together, then there might be a question to be answered. However, this current team would have happened anyway, with the major decisions and reasons being the appointments of Gilroy, Gavin and Farrell, together with a one-off generation of talent.

Even then, the Kerry way of spending money may well be the best at turning the raw material of kids into winners at All-Ireland level, but it is not the focus of the Dublin expenditure.

Another slant is how much were Dublin underfunded pre 2005, given the special circumstances of population. Did Dublin just become properly funded in 2005 to realise its actual potential. Its an interesting idea. Seems a bit mad and unfair if they were getting similar funds to the likes of Kerry, Donegal, Down, Galway and Cork and under successful teams of that time given their lesser populations. Certainly i can never remember the provision of such a strong cohort of players from the North and the Southside of the county in equal balance. Dublin arguably are operating at their full potential probably for the first time in the history of gaelic games. Surely that has to be what the Gaa is about, realising and supporting potential.

I see we are still ignoring cumulative funding, limited thread and narrow debate without, if talking about actual investment equitably.

You know that Dublin have got a far higher level of investment if we include stadiums, facilities, training centres etc. The gap would be wider than what we're talking about here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

You’re hilarious; when Dublin’s own accounts showed they received 2.77 million from the SRC in 2016 you said only games development grants could be considered and on GAA’s accounts they were shown as 1.4 million.

Now that Kerry have been shown to have received millions of structural funds you want cumulative funds only to be considered.

As said already you can’t play by your own rules.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Folks, the OP asked a simple question. Should Dublin be split in two? The polls have spoken, lets take it as 72% want to keep it as it is. That's more of a majority than the last referendum. Democracy and all that.......

:D This topic is not going to disappear. The more coverage it gets, the more people gain knowledge of the financial doping.

This is a one off team

Defenders of this say that the Dublin senior footballers are only a one off team, once they're gone everything will be back to normal.
    First of all this ignores the huge improvements made at underage level in both hurling and football and the senior hurlers. As my earlier graphic shows, Dublin have won 51 titles since the funding began. That isn't a one off, that is a continuing trend of success in all grades, at all age levels and it's showing no sign of slowing down.
    Also, they site one off players such as Cluxton, Connolly, Flynn and Brogan. Those players were there when Dublin were getting destroyed in the later stages of the championship. Things changed when the conveyor belt of talent arrived. That conveyor belt is still in motion. Obviously we can't ignore that 3 of those players aren't starters anymore, they don't seem to miss them too much.

2s82pzb.jpg

Can you link to the particular GAA decision that the funding was made conditional on a split?

Keep reading.

Another slant is how much were Dublin underfunded pre 2005, given the special circumstances of population. Did Dublin just become properly funded in 2005 to realise its actual potential. Its an interesting idea. Seems a bit mad and unfair if they were getting similar funds to the likes of Kerry, Donegal, Down, Galway and Cork and under successful teams of that time given their lesser populations. Certainly i can never remember the provision of such a strong cohort of players from the North and the Southside of the county in equal balance. Dublin arguably are operating at their full potential probably for the first time in the history of gaelic games. Surely that has to be what the Gaa is about, realising and supporting potential.
    Population

They say that because Dublin have a higher population, they deserve more money. This is true. They do need more money but the proportion they get currently far outweighs their population requirements, especially compared to every other county who receive far less. It must be remembered that having a greater population is an advantage. Leitrim would definitely attest to that.

:D This topic is not going to disappear. The more coverage it gets, the more people gain knowledge of the financial doping.
    I am simply complying with the OP request. If you cant agree with the majority, it says more about you than your crusade,  as a democratic society we generally abide by the majority rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭superbluedub

You could try talk to Joe :D

I am simply complying with the OP request. If you cant agree with the majority, it says more about you than your crusade,  as a democratic society we generally abide by the majority rules.

:D This is just an online forum. i'm not sure how many even see this, we need to get it onto media platforms.

You could try talk to Joe :D

:D That's a show for Dubs no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

But what would Ewan have to write about then?

Hi Ewan.

Good weather where you are, or are you in Russia for the World Cup?

:D This is just an online forum. i'm not sure how many even see this, we need to get it onto media platforms.
    But you are there already with all your appearances on The Last Word and your online articles. I mean you have even coined the phrase financial doping. Don't be so bashful. You could always do a "dopey financial use" for the likes of Kildare with their wasted money over the years. Quick question, how many other forums have you posted in or are you keeping this username just to post in this one????

From my long post:

"I think this sums everything up. If anyone disagrees with any of this then they are free to argue politely. Others may have other ideas or other solutions. I'd love to hear them. Any abuse or deflection will be ignored however."

Keep reading.

I have read all of your lengthy diatribes on this issue but a link to this particular claim is missing.

Most of your analysis is either incomplete, based on false assumptions or just plain wrong. When you make ascertains like the one I was referring to - that the funding was explicitly linked to a requirement to split - it is important that you can back it up with an official GAA or Government document that is actual policy, not proposal nor commentary nor review.

As already mentioned . why not talk to Joe
    Ewan :D

I have read all of your lengthy diatribes on this issue but a link to this particular claim is missing.

Most of your analysis is either incomplete, based on false assumptions or just plain wrong. When you make ascertains like the one I was referring to - that the funding was explicitly linked to a requirement to split - it is important that you can back it up with an official GAA or Government document that is actual policy, not proposal nor commentary nor review.

Post #1009. Directly after you asked the question.

• Advertisement

As already mentioned . why not talk to Joe
    Ewan :D

You know that Dublin have got a far higher level of investment if we include stadiums, facilities, training centres etc. The gap would be wider than what we're talking about here.

I wouldn't as it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

When Dublin were told they couldn’t run the gym at the national sports campus like their own property they removed the equipment they installed.

So Dublin may have to build their own training campus to guarantee access. Hopefully they can use their own money.

;););););););)

Population

They say that because Dublin have a higher population, they deserve more money. This is true. They do need more money but the proportion they get currently far outweighs their population requirements, especially compared to every other county who receive far less. It must be remembered that having a greater population is an advantage. Leitrim would definitely attest to that.

Please dont start with the registered player flat earth stuff. Its the greatest advertisement for GDF of all time, its actually a scandal the number of registered players in Dublin and clear evidence of attracting players to Gaelic games. Less provincial grants not included of course.

Its unquestionably an advantage i would wholly acknowledge that, but not with low registered senior figures, ergo GDF to attract people to Gaelic games.

The limits are interesting on population, where does it begin and end to be an advantage and disadvantage. Does Galway have an advantage over Killkenny in Hurling, Cork in football over Kerry, Antrim over everyone. Same applies vice versa Galway over Leitrim etc, etc. Surely the GAA is rife with population inequalities and defacto funding, Dublin are just top of the tree. If you apply the same equity to all counties then inter county game just isnt fit for purpose.

Like i say, it may historically a case that Dublin have been hampered by their population and funds and are only now beginning to be funded in accordance with their exceptional circumstances and realizing their true potential.

The splitting argument is funny for one reason only, there 1.5 million people in Dublin, people want it split so a larger group can play inter county football or at least thats what they peddle, so instead of 30 lads they want 60 lads to have the opportunity, what an ultimately hilarious percentage that would be in the overall population for the difference it would make, hardly a big drop in the ocean is it when you look at the overall population of the county, its pretty funny. Master O Rourke inparticular needs to sit closer to the front in Maths.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't as it goes.

Abbotstown - 12million
    Croke Park - 200+ million?

Game over.

Please dont start with the registered player flat earth stuff. Its the greatest advertisement for GDF of all time, its actually a scandal the number of registered players in Dublin and clear evidence of attracting players to Gaelic games. Less provincial grants not included of course.

Its unquestionably an advantage i would wholly acknowledge that, but not with low registered senior figures, ergo GDF to attract people to Gaelic games.

The limits are interesting on population, where does it begin and end to be an advantage and disadvantage. Does Galway have an advantage over Killkenny in Hurling, Cork in football over Kerry, Antrim over everyone. Same applies vice versa Galway over Leitrim etc, etc. Surely the GAA is rife with population inequalities and defacto funding, Dublin are just top of the tree. If you apply the same equity to all counties then inter county game just isnt fit for purpose.

Like i say, it may historically a case that Dublin have been hampered by their population and funds and are only now beginning to be funded in accordance with their exceptional circumstances and realizing their true potential.

The splitting argument is funny for one reason only, there 1.5 million people in Dublin, people want it split so a larger group can play inter county football or at least thats what they peddle, so instead of 30 lads they want 60 lads to have the opportunity, what an ultimately hilarious percentage that would be in the overall population for the difference it would make, hardly a big drop in the ocean is it when you look at the overall population of the county, its pretty funny. Master O Rourke inparticular needs to sit closer to the front in Maths.

Population is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Spending millions upon millions on top of this is the reason the split is needed.

Why don't you want more players to play inter county? There can be 4 new teams. Is that what it's all about? Increased participation? Surely all these young lads should have an opportunity to play senior inter county. Otherwise they will all drop off.

Abbotstown - 12million
    Croke Park - 200+ million?

Game over.

Tin foil hat time sorry mate, if you can post that with a straight face you’ve gone beyond objectivity. I’ll let people make up their own mind on your post.

I agree game over.

Population is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Spending millions upon millions on top of this is the reason the split is needed.

Why don't you want more players to play inter county? There can be 4 new teams. Is that what it's all about? Increased participation? Surely all these young lads should have an opportunity to play senior inter county. Otherwise they will all drop off.

Thanks that pretty much has no relevance to what I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Croke Park is a national stadium, based in Dublin, the capital. It's not the preserve of the Dublin team - however, given the pulling power of the team, there is no choice but to play the games there. Otherwise its akin to squeezing Katie Price into a 13yr old's training bra.

Lets put the cynical commercial hat on here: revenue - always follow the money.

Lets give each county a portion of the revenue they generate - at the gate and the commercial revenue they can accomplish.

Lets reconstruct the bidding for the TV rights for matches. Do it 'Vertically' as the bell end ad world has it: As the tv stations to take a punt and bid to televise, say, all the Dublin games or Kerry Games or whatever! Turkey shoot as you don't know how far a team will go (get paddy power to underwrite it!).

Lets stop the Fabian Socialist thinking of spreading the money around - if you generate it you keep a huge portion of it. Happy out?

Yea - shut this 'disproportionate' debate down if its based on numbers like population, clubs, registered players. Screw That! Its about money and it should be based on money - apples and apples.

Now... discuss!

(There's a modicum of cynicism in the above, so anyone sitting comfortably in their pram with a toy as a potential missile- put it down!)

Tin foil hat time sorry mate, if you can post that with a straight face you’ve gone beyond objectivity. I’ll let people make up their own mind on your post.

I agree game over.

Abbotstown - Top class facilities used by Dublin development squads - 12m
    Croke Park - Home to the Dublin Senior Footballers - 200m+

We haven't included DCU or any other project yet.

Also the sponsorship money seems to be ignored.

Game over.

Thanks that pretty much has no relevance to what I posted.

Care to answer the questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

IRE60 wrote: »
    Lets give each county a portion of the revenue they generate - at the gate and the commercial revenue they can accomplish.

The revenue from games in CP is already distributed centrally. Which is why Leinster Council until recently wanted all Dublin games there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The revenue from games in CP is already distributed centrally. Which is why Leinster Council until recently wanted all Dublin games there.

Up to the Leinster Final the council get the spoils of war - then they are passengers - join the queue with the other councils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

IRE60 wrote:
    (There's a modicum of cynicism in the above, so anyone sitting comfortably in their pram with a toy as a potential missile- put it down!)

Again the question posed in the op was if Dublin should be split up.
    The reason he asks this is because it appears nobody else has a chance of winning an All-Ireland as long as Dublin have a professional approach.
    The whole thing is close to becoming a farce as only one team looks like winning it.

• Advertisement

If you are right about the money and population, it will be inevitable that one of the four will win Leinster for the next 100 years. So your proposal does nothing for the rest of Leinster. Ditto when the four start appearing in the Super 8s and then the semi-finals as Leinster winner, Leinster loser and two qualifiers. What are you going to do then? Split them in 8?

A significant part of the ranting in this thread is driven by bitterness and jealousy. The only way we can get a competitive All-Ireland structure is through amalgamations as well as splits. Until both are on the table - and Dublin won't be the only candidate for splitting - then there is little point to the discussion.

If you are right about the money and population, it will be inevitable that one of the four will win Leinster for the next 100 years. So your proposal does nothing for the rest of Leinster. Ditto when the four start appearing in the Super 8s and then the semi-finals as Leinster winner, Leinster loser and two qualifiers. What are you going to do then? Split them in 8?

A significant part of the ranting in this thread is driven by bitterness and jealousy. The only way we can get a competitive All-Ireland structure is through amalgamations as well as splits. Until both are on the table - and Dublin won't be the only candidate for splitting - then there is little point to the discussion.

Money gets split fairly, all counties get an equal access to the system Dublin has now. Paid strategic officers etc. The four new counties will be competing on an equal footing. If they're competing fairly then there'll be no issues.

I answered the second part of your post in my long post:

It's just jealousy

I'm sure there are some people that are jealous. Who doesn't want to see your county win lots of titles? I think for the most part though, it's a case of unfairness that irks people. Why should one county be getting this special treatment?

Now can you answer this part of my post?

Ill just leave this here.

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/15/56/53/GAAFinancialReport18_English.pdf

Page 68 of the report shows the distribution of finance from central funds for this year. Its not total accumulative funding. But gives a better overall sense of what couties are allocated and what its spent on from central funds.

Cork have actually done better overall then Dublin. Galway, Offaly and Fermanagh have done well too.

The big take home is Kerry receiving just south of 1.5 mill. Im not sure how that can be justified really with a population of 140k comparied it to the likes of the distribution of Mayo and Doengal. Financial doping seems pretty rife to me in the Kingdom at least Dublin have a population to argue.

These are just GAA figures the commercial figures are different, Mayo do sterling work there, operating at the same level as Dublin really, i really admire them and maybe this is letting the GAA of the hook with investing in Mayo.

Seems to me the GAA is really pushing the Dublin Vs Kerry narrative with so much funds being invested in both counties, whatever defense Dublin have the investment in Kerry is crazy, thats before you look at their ISC or Currans grants by central funds and Munster council on top of ther GDF and funding for coaching from the Munster council and other distributions annually.

Also note every others counties total is raised when you divide the provincial totals at the top of the page and allocate per county in the province, Dublin are the only county not to receive this funding.

Money gets split fairly, all counties get an equal access to the system Dublin has now. Paid strategic officers etc. The four new counties will be competing on an equal footing. If they're competing fairly then there'll be no issues.

I answered the second part of your post in my long post:

It's just jealousy

I'm sure there are some people that are jealous. Who doesn't want to see your county win lots of titles? I think for the most part though, it's a case of unfairness that irks people. Why should one county be getting this special treatment?

Now can you answer this part of my post?

You see, for you and others it is all about the inter-county game, about turning 15 into 30 or into 60.

But the Games Development Plan for Dublin isn't interested in that. It is all about turning the hundreds at each age group into thousands. As long as people like you only focus on the inter-county game, you will lose sight of what is happening in communities all over Dublin.

http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/15/56/53/GAAFinancialReport18_English.pdf

Page 68 of the report shows the distribution of finance from central funds for this year. Its not total accumulative funding. But gives a better overall sense of what couties are allocated and what its spent on from central funds.

Cork have actually done better overall then Dublin. Galway, Offaly and Fermanagh have done well too.

The big take home is Kerry receiving just south of 1.5 mill. Im not sure how that can be justified really with a population of 140k comparied it to the likes of the distribution of Mayo and Doengal. Financial doping seems pretty rife to me in the Kingdom at least Dublin have a population to argue.

These are just GAA figures the commercial figures are different, Mayo do sterling work there, operating at the same level as Dublin really, i really admire them and maybe this is letting the GAA of the hook with investing in Mayo.

Seems to me the GAA is really pushing the Dublin Vs Kerry narrative with so much funds being invested in both counties, whatever defense Dublin have the investment in Kerry is crazy, thats before you look at their ISC or Currans grants by central funds and Munster council on top of ther GDF and funding for coaching from the Munster council and other distributions annually.

Also note every others counties total is raised when you divide the provincial totals at the top of the page and allocate per county in the province, Dublin are the only county not to receive this funding.

The Kerry funding is the real scandal.

They are nearly exclusively using this to hothouse kids for the inter-county game at underage level, leaving the ordinary player behind. Tomas O'Se, one of their own, was critical of this in a recent newspaper article.

You see, for you and others it is all about the inter-county game, about turning 15 into 30 or into 60.

But the Games Development Plan for Dublin isn't interested in that. It is all about turning the hundreds at each age group into thousands. As long as people like you only focus on the inter-county game, you will lose sight of what is happening in communities all over Dublin.

The numbers of kids and schools who benifit from GDF is even a matter of record.

Good old St Sylvester's.

http://www.stsylvesters.ie/files/the-blue-wave.pdf

This really warms the heart.

You've been told this repeatedly. If you want to include grants for county grounds, centres of excellence, training centres etc then Dublin would be far further ahead.
    Croke Park 200 million +
    Abbotstown 12 million

You've been told this repeatedly. If you want to include grants for county grounds, centres of excellence, training centres etc then Dublin would be far further ahead.
    Croke Park 200 million +
    Abbotstown 12 million

Correction you've just repeated it dogmatically. I think the world knows its tin foil hat stuff.

It's about all levels, the game across the entire country needs to be strengthened. Not just in Dublin.

Why do you want to restrict these kids from playing inter county football and hurling? Split Dublin into four and more of these kids will get a chance to play for their county. Even at underage, there's so many players available, they could line out for Fingal, South Dublin, Dublin city centre or Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown in the Leinster minor championships. It would give more of them an opportunity. That will help communities. Why are you against it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Spot on

The idea that young lads will stop playing the game just because they're not good enough to play inter county is complete nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement