Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you should stop asking third parties to do analysis for you, your clearly using people’s analysis for something else then on here. it’s pretty simple and easily explainable, try hard, we believe in you.

Time to put this carpet bagger on ice lads, he’s clearly using information elsewhere and trying to get others to do his work for him. Let’s not give him the bullets or even a foundation.

A new chart and new figures completely different to all the ones he posted before. Some data analyst he is relying on. He has now told so many different versions that nothing can be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭High Fidelity

blanch152 wrote: »
    A new chart and new figures completely different to all the ones he posted before. Some data analyst he is relying on. He has now told so many different versions that nothing can be believed.

Its really amazing and funny that Dublins success has driven people to this level of distraction, i couldn't imagine doing something like this if it was say Galway who had won a few All Irelands on the trot.

You do have to wonder sometimes.

Long may it last though, the myths really do give Dublin a psychological edge, there are a few county teams id say training in facilities like Ivan Dragos blowing their financial load becuase they think thats what Dublin have, while the Dubs are kicking a ball up against a graffitied dilapidated wall in Innisfallis. But they myth endures and i think creates doubts in other counties coming down the straight in games. There is an Aura about the Dubs.

If you believe some of the stories coming out of Dublin training in preparation for games you would know well the success has very little to do with finance or facilities, really revolutionary stuff not seen in the game before. Its the perfect combination of the right players, with the right management team at a time when Dublin football has been developed across both sides of the county for the first time ever.

Dublin could well pull up their socks when it comes to finance and facilities in my honest opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Ok so no one could dispute the latest figures I provided. That means it's just about ready. I will post my work here in a few minutes.

Part 1

Where it all began

First of all to the beginning. Where did this finance come from? Well, the idea was introduced by the Strategic Review Committee headed by former president Peter Quinn. They looked at the work that was being done by the Dublin County Board and they decided it needed improvement. They saw it as the population being too big for one county board to manage.
    Here's what Christy Cooney, who chaired the sub committee that examined Dublin, had to say; "You must remember that there are 1.4 million people in the region and 2,000,000 or more will be there in 20 years time. There's no way one county board is going to manage that. We met all of the units in Dublin last year, as well as the county board. Improvements are necessary and that's not the fault of the board or clubs." Christy's numbers are a bit off, he overestimated both population figures but you get his point.
    Peter Quinn stated; "We are recommending sizeable investment in terms of finance and personnel. We recognise that Dublin needs special attention, it's a key strategic matter."
    He also said “Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity'. Meaning it would be mutually beneficial for the GAA and Dublin GAA to join forces. Dublin would increase standards and playing numbers across the county and the GAA would gain increased revenue from the growing popularity of Gaelic Games in Dublin.
    Other recommendations from that committee was to split Dublin in two using the liffey as the boundary between north and south.

The Master Plan

From there negotiations began. These negotiations involved the Dublin County Board, the Leinster Council, the GAA and government ministers. They lasted two years and from it the master plan was formed. It's main aims were to divide the county into regions, loosely based on existing local authority areas, and focus its efforts on raising the profile of Gaelic games in schools, improving recruitment for clubs and establishing a structure for developing elite talent.
    The strategy involved devolving work to regional areas, where the focus will be sharper on servicing the schools in those regions and identifying the elite talent. Kevin O'Shaughnessy was appointed Strategic Programme Manager. Reporting to him were the regional development officers, the hurling development officers and the games promotion officers.
    Sean Kelly, who chaired the joint-committee that agreed the initiatives, said that the plans would 'make Dublin what it should be - the greatest GAA county in Ireland'. But what happened to the Strategic Review Committees other proposal you ask? They suggested higher investment in Dublin but also to split the county in two. Well somehow that was put off the table. Sean Kelly: 'No one's suggesting that Dublin should be divided in two. That's hogwash. No one's saying that for the moment.'
    Interesting last line from Sean. Anyway, what did this sizeable investment involve. With huge Dublin GAA supporter Bertie Ahern being the Taoiseach of the day, finding government support for this plan proved easy.
    The funding was to come from the GAA, Leinster council and a grant by from the citizens of Ireland, paid through the Irish Sports Council. As we know with the GAA, finding information and full records can sometimes be difficult. The announcement when the plan was launched by Bertie was that Dublin GAA would receive 7 million over 3 years. That is 2.3 million per year. The Dublin GAA released accounts gives a figure of 2.5 million for 2015 and 2.7 million for 2016.

The Figures

Firstly the GAA annual accounts figure. The following table is what they received yearly under the Games Development heading in the GAA's accounts.

1oq3vk.png

To put that in perspective, I've created the below table to show the 2nd highest amount received by a county and the lowest received by a county every year. The county who received the most and the least changed most years.

35kpfty.jpg

As you can see, it was quite low for most counties for many years, it has increased a bit since 2015.

Here's the totals each county has received from between 2007 and 2017.

33wseph.jpg

As can be seen, the games development fund is not split on rank of population. It's a fairly equal spread across 31 counties. If we take away the one outlier, no one could have any complaints really. Apart from Dublin you would have to say it was a fair and balanced system.

The above graphs and tables are made using the GAA Annual Accounts. Below is a section from the Dublin GAA Annual account from 2016:

2wbvtk4.jpg

This provides numbers from 2015 and 2016. In Schedule 5, you can see totals of 2.5 million for 2015 and 2.7 million from 2016 under the Strategic Review Committee heading.

Whatever figures you use, it's clear that Dublin GAA have had a huge amount of funding directed their way. One of the aims of the money was to increase playing numbers, the Games Development Administrators (GDA) would enter schools to try to increase playing numbers for local clubs. Another was to identify and transfer elite talent towards their development squads.
    Most medium to big clubs have one GDA, some have two. Some small clubs have access to coaches too. As I pointed out earlier, these GDA's report to their superiors and the system overseen by them has been a huge success. I will show the big increase in underage titles in football and hurling in a table later. But firstly I will show how this system has improved the Dublin club scene.

Part 2

With Money Comes Success

Obviously with increased paid coaches in most clubs, the standards have increased across the board and the professional set ups in many clubs has produced high quality players. Here's the impact it has had on titles won by Dublin club teams, I've compared the totals won in the same period before and after the funding began:

2czasd1.jpg

More than four times more trophy's in the 13 years post funding than the 13 years pre funding is a clear sign of the impact but the two All Ireland's in the hurling club championship shows what increased funding can buy.

This next table shows the increased number of underage titles won by Dublin and also the increased championships and leagues won at senior level:

2s82pzb.jpg

It's an astronomical increase in titles. In the 13 years between 1979 and 1992 Dublin won 19 titles and the 13 years before that they won 20 so this is an unparalleled level Dublin GAA has found itself in. Can increased finance make this much of a difference? Let's have a look at an example from the Olympic games:

Does Money Equal Success

A common example of money equaling success is with British Olympic funding. Here's a good graphic about the UK's increased spending and increased success.

34dld15.png

xlgdx5.png

Is it only me that has noticed the SRC over expenditure figure 565k in expenditure in section 5 in the Dublin, that happens to mean Dublin supplemented out of their own income, funds received from the SRC.

That remainder accounts for Dublin total funding per GAA that year I.e. everything, media rights shares, competition price money, group sponsorship etc like every other county receivethat bring up their total funding.

Not just GDF.

This lad can’t even add. Cut and paste, hope for the best and let someone else do the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is it only me that has noticed the SRC over expenditure figure 565k in expenditure in section 5 that happens to mean Dublin supplemented out of their own income, funds from the SRC.

That accounts for Dublin total funding per GAA that year I.e. everything, media right shares, competition price money, group sponsorship etc like every other county receive.

Not just a GDF.

This lad can’t even add. Cut and paste, hope for the best and let someone else do the work.

I think you pair should get a room. 😘

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I think you pair should get a room. ��

Thankfully I’m on ignore, I’m the conscience in the back ground.

An anti spoofer fail safe.

Part 3

Is it just Games Development money alone causing this upsurge?

The answer is no. The games development money does a lot. As I've stated earlier, it creates elite talent, develops great athletes, leaving the system players are prepared to a professional level and are ready for senior football. This has the knock on effect of gaining a huge number of underage titles but it isn't the main aim of the system.
    The other thing pushing this upsurge is the other finance available to Dublin. There's a lot of it. Of course freeing up resources by having your underage machine paid for helps this but the sponsorship money Dublin receives is a vital cog. There was the 6 million Vodafone deal in 2009. With increased success Dublin became even more enticing to sponsors. This led to a bidding war in 2013. AIG won this and with the recent deal added, they're up to 8 million in sponsorship money.
    Added to this is a long list of other sponsors. These include; O Neills, Lifestyle sports, Ballygowan, Subaru, Aer Lingus, Energise Sports, Gourmet food parlour, the Gibson Hotel and more.
    With this Dublin GAA can prepare their senior teams to a professional level. Anything that's required is available to the hurling and football management teams. They have paid coaches of all hues. Backs coaches, forward coaches, physiologists, psychologists, basketball coaches, Olympic gold medalists, World champion boxers. They are able to provide players with top nutritional content through their meal providers who prepare weekly meals.
    This preparation is of course assisted by being trained in some of the best facilities in the country. Multi million euro units. An extra assistance for Dublin senior footballers is that they play almost every championship game at home. As we've seen earlier with the Olympics, home advantage helps a lot. Dublin footballers haven't played a championship game away since 2006.
    There's even more advantages. Dublin have a population of 1.4 million. That's one fifth of our islands population. To have that, massive financial resources, top facilities and of course the highly funded development system means that Dublin GAA is in a position where failure seems virtually impossible.

What issues does and will the financial doping cause?

This is already having a major affect. The Leinster championship is dead. Dublin have won every title bar one since the funding began. Other counties are demoralised, players aren't bothering playing, attendances will drop, even Dublin supporters aren't showing up in big numbers.
    Now the only teams that can compete with Dublin are teams with money. This in itself is another huge issue. Financial clout shouldn't be the way counties compete.
    In hurling, people are delighted to see another county compete but why just Dublin? Why not the other counties that were at the same level?
    There are more and more calls for teams to be thrown into a B championship in football. The super 8's is another step towards the bigger counties having their own championship leaving the others behind. This is very dangerous. That will result in the lowering of standards across a huge range of counties. Like we see in the hurling championship, the Joe McDonagh cup gets very little coverage, it's very hard to step up to the top level. If we have the football equivalent of the Joe McDonagh, it will leave the same amount of teams able to win All Ireland's. I.e very little.
    There's also the danger of the game turning professional. This would only be viable in very few counties. Not to be overly dramatic but, if something isn't done to stop this financial doping it will be very damaging to Gaelic Games. It will be very hard to recover from.

The Solution

This is what I think should happen.

Split Dublin into four

Dublin is already divided into the four council areas for coaching and development purposes. It wouldn't take much to organise this. Four competitive teams with large populations is a very viable option and the teams should be well able to compete.
    Dublin City with a population of over 500,000, Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown with a bit over 200,000, Fingal with almost 300,000 and South Dublin with slightly less. These are four viable counties with the population to compete. The plan has worked, standards have improved in all these areas. Playing numbers are up and Gaelic Games has grown. There's no reason these teams can't compete at the top level and it will give more players a chance to play inter county football and hurling. Also with 4 teams at underage you'll have more kids representing their areas in Leinster and All Ireland competitions.

It will have a positive outcome but this is not only something that I think should be done but it has to be done.

Population Explosion

Population is an advantage Dublin have always had but, it's not something that would affect GAA policy or become much of an issue. Other counties have and had biggish populations and some have always had tiny populations. It's just the way things were. We have to go back to the Strategic Review Committee again to see how things changed.

One of the reasons that committee recommended splitting Dublin was because of population reasons. Here's what Christy Cooney, who chaired the sub committee that examined Dublin, had to say; "You must remember that there are 1.4 million people in the region and 2,000,000 or more will be there in 20 years time. There's no way one county board is going to manage that. We met all of the units in Dublin last year, as well as the county board. Improvements are necessary and that's not the fault of the board or clubs."

I'm not sure exactly where he was meaning by 'in the region' but we have to look at population figures closely again. Going on CSO figures, Dublin's population will continue to increase at a high rate.

vcw1m8.jpg

It could increase by up to nearly 300,000 people by 2031. That's more than the population of most counties. Dublin will have a population of over 2 million in the near future. A high percentage of the total population on this island. From a GAA point of view, how is this sustainable? We've seen concerns raised at the beginning of this century and they will continue to grow. Can anyone seriously see Dublin remaining as they are with nearly 1/4 of the countries population?

Create a System where all can compete

Splitting Dublin into 4 is a start, from there every county should be given equal opportunity to compete. What do I mean by this? Well, like the plan for Dublin, it should involve a Strategic Planning Officer with regional development officers, the hurling development officers and the games promotion officers reporting to him.
    They are under strict guidelines to promote hurling and football in their counties. There will be targets that have to be met and standards that need to be reached. No counties will be allowed give favourable treatment to one code over the other.
    Obviously the level of funding won't be exactly the same for each county. Everyone will get what's needed to cover their population base. It will be fair, unlike the system we have now.

• Advertisement

I’ll just leave this here again:

Population of Dublin: 1.345 million, Games Development Funding: 1.298 million, Ratio per head of population: 96 cent

Population of Kerry: 140.600k, Games Development Funding 197.600k, Ratio per head of population: 1.40 euro.

Population of Mayo: 130k, Games Devlopment Funding: 127.98k, Ratio per head of population: 98 cent.

Population of Donegal: 158k, Games Devlopment Funding: 132.000K Ratio per head of population: 83 cent.

Population of Galway: 258,552, Games Development Funding: 178.400k Ratio per head of Population: 69 cent.

Population of Tyrone: 177.986k, Games Developmet Funding: 119k, Ratio per head of population: 66 cent.

Population of Monghan: 60,483k Games Devlopment Funding: 122.500k, Ratio per head of population: 1.99 euro.

Population of Cork: 542,196k, Games Development Funding: 249k, Ratio per head of population: 45 cent.

Population of Kildare: 222,130, Games Developemnt Funding: 226.428k, Ratio per head of population: 1 euro.

Population of Meath: 194,942, Games Development Funding: 267.421k, Ratio per head of population: 1.37 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Looking forward to seeing an in depth analysis of this on this weekend's Sunday Game

Do we think it'll be on the afternoon show or the nighttime highlights show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I can’t believe anyone on either side will be reading all of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Some score in the u20s this evening. Split Kerry easy/west or north/south!?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing an in depth analysis of this on this weekend's Sunday Game

Do we think it'll be on the afternoon show or the nighttime highlights show?

Is there an Apres Match section for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

munster87 wrote: »

One sided Munster final also today

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »

Looking at the Munster final this evening, a very strong argument for splitting Kerry. They are already getting more GDF money than any of the other teams in Munster. End the Munster Financial Doping!!!

Ok, contact has been made with The Sunday Game. Unlikely it'll get covered but let's see. I've posted all the proof of the financial doping and all the titles that it led to for Dublin.

On another note, did anyone see Joe Schmidt's interview this morning? He was listing off all the backroom team involved, it reminded me of the Dubs backroom team. :D Probably cost less though! From about 2:17.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/joe-schmidt-interview-3-391476

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Ok, contact has been made with The Sunday Game. Unlikely it'll get covered but let's see. I've posted all the proof of the financial doping and all the titles that it led to for Dublin.

On another note, did anyone see Joe Schmidt's interview this morning? He was listing off all the backroom team involved, it reminded me of the Dubs backroom team. :D Probably cost less though! From about 2:17.

Jez, cant wait :D probably go to a special RTE Prime time investigation. anyway dream on. don't worry the Dubs will be beat someday, with i am sure much rejoicing down country land. and you can then move onto your next infatuation. but you might have to-wait a while yet. Up the Dubs.

PS: with a little luck i am now on your ignore list. Happy Days:cool:

mobby wrote: »
    Jez, cant wait :D probably go to a special RTE Prime time investigation. anyway dream on. don't worry the Dubs will be beat someday, with i am sure much rejoicing down country land. and you can then move onto your next infatuation. but you might have to-wait a while yet. Up the Dubs.

PS: with a little luck i am now on your ignore list. Happy Days:cool:

It's not just the Dublin footballers.
    As I said before, I first researched all this a number of years ago, the responses from defenders of the financial doping hasn't changed.
    It was a mixture of deflection, abuse and then just sticking their fingers in their ears and going na na, na na, na like you've just done.
    I suppose it's understandable though. The facts are there for all to see. There's no way to argue against it. It's not easy to face up to the fact that you've been bought titles.
    Just think what the money Dublin received would have done for other counties if it was spread fairly. Antrim, Laois, Carlow, Kerry even Offaly and the like in hurling. Putting the structures and finance in place would have helped these counties no end.
    The same for football in many counties. Isn't that the way it should be? Investing in counties who really need it to make them more competitive.
    As well, Dublin have won 51 titles post funding but, wouldn't it be more satisfying to win 10 even if it was done fairly? It takes the sense of achievement away when it's done this way.

Incidentally, I sent an interesting stat to The Sunday Game yesterday. If Dublin footballers win the Leinster and All Ireland this year, the total number of titles in the 13 years post funding will be 53.
    In the previous 13 years they won 14 titles, 19 in the 13 years before that and 20 in the 13 years before that.
    So 53 is the total number of titles Dublin won between 1966 and 2005!!!

I especially enjoy how when people picked holes in his numbers he just ignored them but he has the neck to say others just deflect.
    He actually admitted than he was dubious of numbers he used but ploughing on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Offaly is not a great example DM.

You should listen to the like of Daithi Regan and others on the mess Offaly county board made of what was quite a substantial amount of funding which they spent on O'Connor Park rather than investing in coaching or training facilities. With consequence that a few years back both senior county teams were training outside of the county. That is why they are so poor at the moment at every level in both games. Nothing to do with Dublin at all, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

OK but Offaly had to pay for their stadium and their COE in Kilcormac

They weren't handed either on a plate - Offaly like everyone else have to make tough critical choices, they have one of the best grounds in the country if they didn't invest and had a ****hole it wouldn't be very appealing to kids to play GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why do you think the Sunday game team will pay any more notice to your 'research' than the many well informed GAA people in this thread?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Offaly is not a great example DM.

You should listen to the like of Daithi Regan and others on the mess Offaly county board made of what was quite a substantial amount of funding which they spent on O'Connor Park rather than investing in coaching or training facilities. With consequence that a few years back both senior county teams were training outside of the county. That is why they are so poor at the moment at every level in both games. Nothing to do with Dublin at all, at all.

That's why I say the structures should be put in place. That's what was done for Dublin. Put paid officers in charge with targets to reach. We all know the majority of county boards are plain useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

If it is ever decided that this should be, we should consider the following:

a) If and when a team dominates the hurling championship (e.g Kilkenny 4 in a row). They are split in half too.

b) Sporting dominance like this never lasts forever. When Dublin are poor again are they going to be reinstated?

Does the second team play in Leinster? Dublins second string would still beat the 11 other counties in the province.

Where do they play? As in what stadium?

Wouldnt that be giving Dublin two chances to win a trophy whether in Leinster or not?

Whats to stop them playing each other in an all ireland final?

Why do you think the Sunday game team will pay any more notice to your 'research' than the many well informed GAA people in this thread?

Well I put my data up for debate and no one could argue against it. My three part post. It's there on this thread if you want to dispute any figures.

If it is ever decided that this shouldbe, we should consider the following:

a) If and when a team dominates the hurling championship (e.g Kilkenny 4 in a row). They are split in half too.

b) Sporting dominance like this never lasts forever. When Dublin are poor again are they going to be reinstated?

I don't know how often I've repeated this but it's not just about the Dublin senior football team. They've won 51 titles across all grades and levels since the funding began in 2005.
    They won 53 titles across all grades and levels from between 1966 and 2005.
    Even if they won 0 titles the money wouldn't be right.

I don't know how often I've repeated this but it's not just about the Dublin senior football team. They've won 51 titles across all grades and levels since the funding began in 2005.
    They won 53 titles across all grades and levels from between 1966 and 2005.
    Even if they won 0 titles the money wouldn't be right.

Surely that a case for wisely spent money.

An argument to stop funding success is simply idiotic.

Everyone stop making him repeat himself, it’s there for all to see over 3 posts 51 titles etc etc. financial doping, Bertie economics, as I’ve already said, as I’ve already shown, as I’ve already proven. It’s all there it’s not about Dublin football it’s about fairness it’s about letting more people from Dublin play county football.

salmocab wrote: »
    Everyone stop making him repeat himself, it’s there for all to see over 3 posts 51 titles etc etc. financial doping, Bertie economics, as I’ve already said, as I’ve already shown, as I’ve already proven. It’s all there it’s not about Dublin football it’s about fairness it’s about letting more people from Dublin play county football.

Thats an absurd argument.

Why dont we have two Real Madrids so we can have more spanish kids playing in the champions league?

Its the same principle. Its an equally stupid argument.

• Advertisement

Thats an absurd argument.

Why dont we have two Real Madrids so we can have more spanish kids playing in the champions league?

Its the same principle. Its an equally stupid argument.

You want absurd? Read the whole thread it was taken over by the ramblings of one person who kept declaring themselves the winner. If only other football teams had the tenacity to hold on like he does.

The argument that would make more sense to me is to elevate standards in the rest of the country to try to match those in Dublin.

Lowering funding in Dublin to match those in the rest of Ireland is clearly a retrograde step and does nothing for the improvement of the sport.

To use Phil Taylor as an example, when he was at his peak there was a lot of animosity, bitterness and jealousy towards him because of his success. He told his opponents that the only way they were ever going to beat him regularly was to get up off their arse and work at their game. This is now the case with the Dublin team. As I see it, rather than punish Dublin GAA it should be the goal of every other county to get up off their arse and improve.

Surely that a case for wisely spent money.

An argument to stop funding success is simply idiotic.

So it's ok for one county to get a huge proportion of games development funding from a governing body and then compete against all other counties who get far less funding from the same governing body?

You want absurd? Read the whole thread it was taken over by the ramblings of one person who kept declaring themselves the winner. If only other football teams had the tenacity to hold on like he does.

You havent addressed the issue I raised. You dont get this argument in other sports.

Youve simply chastised someone else for arguing with you.

Like I said what if soccer pundits called for north madrid and south madrid into the champions league. Its the same argument that you are making.

So it's ok for one county to get a huge proportion of games development funding from a governing body and then compete against all other counties who get far less funding from the same governing body?

Thats the GAA' fault.

Besides isnt the funding of Dublin GAA a runaway success. Why would you change a successful funding programme.

Simply extend it to other counties

The argument that would make more sense to me is to elevate standards in the rest of the country to try to match those in Dublin.

Lowering funding in Dublin to match those in the rest of Ireland is clearly a retrograde step and does nothing for the improvement of the sport.

To use Phil Taylor as an example, when he was at his peak there was a lot of animosity, bitterness and jealousy towards him because of his success. He told his opponents that the only way they were ever going to beat him regularly was to get up off their arse and work at their game. This is now the case with the Dublin team. As I see it, rather than punish Dublin GAA it should be the goal of every other county to get up off their arse and improve.

:D How can any other county catch up to Dublin if they've been given nearly half of all development resources?
    It'd be like asking why an amateur darts player can't compete against a professional player like Phil Taylor

:D How can any other county catch up to Dublin if they've been given nearly half of all development resources?
    It'd be like asking why an amateur darts player can't compete against a professional player like Phil Taylor

Then why isnt there a fairer system in place.

Isnt this a better solution to splitting counties in half

You havent addressed the issue I raised. You dont get this argument in other sports.

Youve simply chastised someone else for arguing with you.

Like I said what if soccer pundits called for north madrid and south madrid into the champions league. Its the same argument that you are making.

My post was made in exasperated sarcasm. I don’t agree with any of it. He’s been banging the drum for two weeks about this.

My post was made in exasperated sarcasm. I don’t agree with any of it. He’s been banging the drum for two weeks about this.

I'msorry

• Advertisement

Thats the GAA' fault.

Besides isnt the funding of Dublin GAA a runaway success. Why would you change a successful funding programme.

Simply extend it to other counties

Of course it's a runaway success. How could it not be? They've had millions upon millions of Euro invested in their structures with highly paid officials overseeing it.
    It's been happening since 2005. It took a decade for the GAA to even increase other counties funding. It's almost impossible to catch up with that head start given.
    I think you're in favour of another suggestion I made. Suspend Dublin from competition for a few years while other structures are put in place in other counties.

Then why isnt there a fairer system in place.

Isnt this a better solution to splitting counties in half

Because it was a financial decision. The Gaa bankrolls Dublin gaa and then Dublin gaa make hq extra income off the back of that.

We've been over all this. I think you need to read the thread.

Well I put my data up for debate and no one could argue against it. My three part post. It's there on this thread if you want to dispute any figures.

LOL, are you deluded. Every single poster has argued against it and you think the Sunday Game team are going to be any different?

Of course it's a runaway success. How could it not be? They've had millions upon millions of Euro invested in their structures with highly paid officials overseeing it.
    It's been happening since 2005. It took a decade for the GAA to even increase other counties funding. It's almost impossible to catch up with that head start given.
    I think you're in favour of another suggestion I made. Suspend Dublin from competition for a few years while other structures are put in place in other counties.

:pac::pac: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Split England cos they hammering Panama....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Split England cos they hammering Panama....

But its all the population England has... Until Iceland beat them again.

Maybe combine Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador and make a pan-Central American team.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Now I didn't watch the game today but a team that had won every single game all year loses by 18 points and a man advantage and I'm supposed to believe that this is just a temporary phase????

And from what I've read on Twitter very poor in the 1st half.......

Laois beat Dublin not that long ago and lost another final by 1 point but now it's a blood sport?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Imagine what the final score would be if the Dubs were actually trying!

Split em up Split em up Split em up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

TrueGael wrote: »
    Now I didn't watch the game today but a team that had won every single game all year loses by 18 points and a man advantage and I'm supposed to believe that this is just a temporary phase????

And from what I've read on Twitter very poor in the 1st half.......

Laois beat Dublin not that long ago and lost another final by 1 point but now it's a blood sport?????

A team that won every single game all year? What you are neglecting to say is that today’s game was the All Ireland champions against a team which was in Duvision 4 in the League. Laois beat two Division 3 teams (and needed extra time to get past one of them) and a Division 4 team to get to the Leinster final.

We saw only last night what can happen when a Division 1 team (Monaghan) meets a Division 4 team (Waterford) - that finished 5-21 to 0-9. Monaghan did likewise (3-23 to 1-11) against another Division 4 team (Wexford) last year. What happened today is determined by the recent form book and and confirmed by reference to comparable fixtures. To start implying it’s a permanent state of affairs is a bit premature.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement