Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

OH MY GOD, YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS!!!!!! YOU'RE TELLING ME KERRY FUNDRAISED FOR A COE AND THEY ARE EATING THERE!!!!! WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?? RAHEEM STERLING????? AND THAT KERRY HAD THE NERVE TO SET UP DEVELOPMENT SQUADS

DISGRACEFUL SCENES!!!!!!!
    Lets just ignore that Kerry were years behind the advent of Development Squads and having a COE which isn't even fully operational until the end of 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I don't know what ddsl is. Football is Gaelic football, I think you're talking about soccer.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

The DDSL is amongst others the competition the GAA doesnt have in other counties.
    I’ll go watch the FISA World Cup will I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TrueGael wrote: »
    Dublin have beaten these teams so badly and so often that good players are leaving panels and not committing and the best young athletes in these counties are choosing other sports at 15,16,17 in particular

So from a situation whereby you had Meath, Kildare, Laois, Westmeath, Offaly competing and beating Dublin you now have a nuclear wasteland

Sorry, but it's far more than Dublin beating these counties. Everyone is beating them. Telling me that Kildare and Meath are where they are because Dublin have been good for an eight year period doesn't tally for me.

It may very well be that good young athletes are choosing other sports, particularly as Rugby aggressively expands its net, but splitting Dublin won't solve that issue.
    Then would it not have made more sense to bankroll all the Leinster counties? Instead they bankrolled Dublin, how does that make any sense?
    Don't forget that Dublin were at a similar level to most Leinster counties pre funding. If it wasn't for millions upon millions of euro they could have been in the same boat!

If these counties feel underfunded, and their feelings are found to have an objective basis, fund them more. If Dublin are overfunded, fund them less. If funding is the issue, address the issue. Splitting Dublin doesn't solve the problems cited here.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

micks wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

The DDSL is amongst others the competition the GAA doesnt have in other counties.
    I’ll go watch the FISA World Cup will I

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

What?

Exactly Shane

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sorry, but it's far more than Dublin beating these counties. Everyone is beating them. Telling me that Kildare and Meath are where they are because Dublin have been good for an eight year period doesn't tally for me.

It may very well be that good young athletes are choosing other sports, particularly as Rugby aggressively expands its net, but splitting Dublin won't solve that issue.

If these counties feel underfunded, and their feelings are found to have an objective basis, fund them more. If Dublin are overfunded, fund them less. If funding is the issue, address the issue. Splitting Dublin doesn't solve the problems cited here.

There's no question about it. Dublin have been overfunded by a large margin since 2005. That's one of the reasons for splitting.
    Another is the population increase, Dublin will have nearly 2 million people by 2030. It makes sense to split. It will have huge benefits for a lot of young players in Dublin.
    More young people will be able to compete at the top level at underage and then represent their county at senior. It will help participation levels in the 4 counties of Dublin.

micks wrote: »
    Exactly Shane

Who's Shane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lads I think you may just move on, he just shouts everyone down currently it’s deflect that is his go to word. He doesn’t understand what evidence means so don’t waste your time explaining it he doesn’t care.
    Nothing that’s said in here makes a difference, there is zero chance of Dublin being split up and you arguing with him is just giving him the oxygen he craves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dublin fans on here and elsewhere remind me of Lance supporters, no matter what basic facts that are clear and obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in GAA are made it's just deny deny deny.

Even when it was abundantly clear that Lance was doping and gaining unfair advantages his fans screamed blue murder until the day he was caught and confessed to Oprah, the Dublin 'fans' are of the same ilk

Lol comparing dubs success to Lance. Yes because in a few years time all these dubs victories will be taking off them.. lol the team you don’t support is winning so change the rules...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Next up

Should Cork Give up Football?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Lol comparing dubs success to Lance. Yes because in a few years time all these dubs victories will be taking off them.. lol the team you don’t support is winning so change the rules...

Well an asterisk has to be put beside all the 52 titles post funding. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Well an asterisk has to be put beside all the 52 titles post funding. That's for sure.

So players such as Bernard Brogan and Stephen Cluxton don’t deserve their titles due to funding!?

munster87 wrote: »
    So players such as Bernard Brogan and Stephen Cluxton don’t deserve their titles due to funding!?

He said ‘that’s for sure’ so that makes it fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dublin fans on here and elsewhere remind me of Lance supporters, no matter what basic facts that are clear and obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in GAA are made it's just deny deny deny.

Even when it was abundantly clear that Lance was doping and gaining unfair advantages his fans screamed blue murder until the day he was caught and confessed to Oprah, the Dublin 'fans' are of the same ilk

Tell me you see the irony in using the Lance doping analogy when 2 of the 3 positive drug tests in GAA were your own Kerry players .........

Unfortunately not. They wouldn't have won without the influx of talent from the highly funded development system.

On that note, remember people were saying that the Dublin footballers were a one off team with players like Cluxton, Brogan, Connolly and Flynn? Well none of them started the Leinster final yesterday and guess what? They won by 18 points.

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Tell me you see the irony in using the Lance doping analogy when 2 of the 3 positive drug tests in GAA were your own Kerry players .........

I think financially doping for 13 years is worse than those drug violations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

munster87 wrote:

I hardly think he said that. They are great players but the problem is that Dublin has huge funding and too huge of a population for this competition to even exist anymore.

It won't be long until everybody gets fed up with it because it's hard to see any other team win an All-Ireland anytime soon.

Even if somebody does it'll just be an aberration.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hardly think he said that. They are great players but the problem is that Dublin has huge funding and too huge of a population for this competition to even exist anymore.

It won't be long until everybody gets fed up with it because it's hard to see any other team win an All-Ireland anytime soon.

Even if somebody does it'll just be an aberration.

He said exactly that in the response!

He said exactly that in the response!

I said unfortunately so. I have nothing against any of these players but titles shouldn't be bought in Gaelic Games. It's not what it's all about.

I said unfortunately so. I have nothing against any of these players but titles shouldn't be bought in Gaelic Games. It's not what it's all about.

Fair enough. I have to disagree. I believe that being the best footballers in the country entitles you to deserve your winnings.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I have to disagree. I believe that being the best footballers in the country entitles you to deserve your winnings.

If it was done naturally then there would be absolutely no problem with that. If Cluxton, Brogan, Connolly and Flynn won All Ireland's in the naughties it would have been tremendous but they didn't, they won when the players came from the production line. This should not be celebrated in Gaelic Games.

The Kildare situation highlights another contradiction in the Dublin 'fans' bring up from time to time - Distribution of money

We have often been told oh other counties waste money on stadiums while spent it on kids etc and have criticised likes of Offaly and Mayo more particularly for running into cost issues regarding big stands and notably calling PUC in Cork a 'White Elephant' amongst others

Leaving aside the obvious fact that their Home ground was built without them having to pay a penny it highlights the problem normal counties face if they don't invest in their facilities and keep them up to date

I'm delighted finally someone is standing up to Croke Park , for far too long now they have looked after the interests of the rich and wealthy fatcats in favour of the hard working volunteers on the ground, they cannot back down whatsoever despite what bullying and threats come their way this is much bigger than just 1 game on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

If Cluxton, Brogan, Connolly and Flynn won All Ireland's in the naughties it would have been tremendous but they didn't, they won when the players came from the production line.

I think you've actually surpassed the previous absurdity of this thread with that statement.

I didn't think that was actually possible but you've excelled yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's not Dublin's fault that these counties have allowed their standards to drop; that they cannot compete throughout the year and are slipping down the national pecking order as a collective grouping. .....

Dublin are doing the right things, their opponents in Leinster are not. Dublin want these counties to sort out their ****, believe me.

Deluded Dublin thinking. Dublin city & suburbs, greater Dublin is like a gigantic sponge hoovering up/ gobbling up resources in all sorts of ways way beyond just sport. Many other Leinster counties live in a kind of shadowy wasteland around greater Dublin in terms of jobs, investment, public services, public transport, facilities and resources.

All these things stack in 'County Dublin's' favour and telling the other counties to pull up their standards is just frankly arrogant and patronising :)

What is 'County Dublin' exactly?????

It used to exist until it grew to big and was split almost 25 years ago now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

BarryD2 wrote: »
    . Many other Leinster counties live in a kind of shadowy wasteland around greater Dublin in terms of jobs, investment, public services, public transport, facilities and resources.

Ah Jaysus!!..................don't tell me that the Dublin GPO's are feckin up the economy of the rest of the country as well as producing all them robot footballers.

They've a lot to answer for them fellas with their big GPO salaries........

Paulzx wrote: »
    I think you've actually surpassed the previous absurdity of this thread with that statement.

I didn't think that was actually possible but you've excelled yourself

I'm sorry but it's fact. Look up the backline from 2011. Then compare it to when Dublin were getting destroyed a few years earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Folks, I would urge you all to stop responding to this, it is only giving Ewan what he craves, an audience. Let him and his new found friend waffle on between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

So you are accusing Dublin players of taking drugs now :) Lovely ….

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Folks, I would urge you all to stop responding to this, it is only giving Ewan what he craves, an audience. Let him and his new found friend waffle on between them.

Surely that's a 'stick your head in the sand and hope it all goes away' type of response.

Besides, the problems of imbalance / widening standards etc. have been aired frequently for past few years and covered in general media following recent set of provincial finals.

There is the prospect of the rise and fall of teams in Munster, Connacht & Ulster. But it's in Leinster that the real imbalance lies. The GAA must abandon their beloved county structure and either amalgamate several counties or split Dublin in 2 or 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In your imagination.

blanch152 wrote: »
    In your imagination.

I think you missed this post!

:D More deflection. It's all you got. How about you try to explain this:

2s82pzb.jpg

And this:

2czasd1.jpg

And this:

2wbvtk4.jpg

I think you missed this post!

Nope, you are dreaming of asterisks.

Your concerns are outdated, not backed up by recent facts, and you are focussing on the wrong target.

OH MY GOD, YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS!!!!!! YOU'RE TELLING ME KERRY FUNDRAISED FOR A COE AND THEY ARE EATING THERE!!!!! WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?? RAHEEM STERLING????? AND THAT KERRY HAD THE NERVE TO SET UP DEVELOPMENT SQUADS

DISGRACEFUL SCENES!!!!!!!
    Lets just ignore that Kerry were years behind the advent of Development Squads and having a COE which isn't even fully operational until the end of 2018

There was a big thing made of the Dublin senior squad getting meals by people like yourself, but now that it seems that Kerry are feeding their underage squads, there is no problem. Funny that.

Could you check for me whether any "nutritional" supplements are included with the food for the kids?

Nope, you are dreaming of asterisks.

Your concerns are outdated, not backed up by recent facts, and you are focussing on the wrong target.

You can't even attempt to argue against what I've posted!

You can't even attempt to argue against what I've posted!

I demolished all of your arguments pages ago. I can't stop you repeating completely discredited points.

I demolished all of your arguments pages ago. I can't stop you repeating completely discredited points.

You haven't touched any of these tables! You haven't even made an attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So your history book has no AI for Dublin. Good for you...

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    So your history book has no AI for Dublin. Good for you...

What? They won loads in the last century!

• Advertisement

What is 'County Dublin' exactly?????

It used to exist until it grew to big and was split almost 25 years ago now

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ireland_1450.png

We could always go back to the boundaries from the 15th century.

They would make for a more competitive All-Ireland, splitting Kerry, weakening Dublin by adding half of Kildare, ending the Kerry domination of Munster, and creating a few teams that could actually challenge Dublin.

It is relatively more sensible than Dontmatter's idea, but not very high on an absolute scale.

Alternatively, to look after O'Rourke's whinging, we could recreate the province of Meath, with the counties of Cavan, East Meath, Longford and Westmeath. East Meath, O'Rourke's county would have a chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Ireland#Historical_and_traditional_counties

Munster had eight counties at one stage, that could work for the hurling championship, and also for the football if Kerry are split.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Ireland#Historical_and_traditional_counties

They would make for a more competitive All-Ireland, splitting Kerry, weakening Dublin by adding half of Kildare, ending the Kerry domination of Munster, and creating a few teams that could actually challenge Dublin.

It is relatively more sensible than Dontmatter's idea, but not very high on an absolute scale.

Alternatively, to look after O'Rourke's whinging, we could recreate the province of Meath, with the counties of Cavan, East Meath, Longford and Westmeath. East Meath, O'Rourke's county would have a chance.

Munster had eight counties at one stage, that could work for the hurling championship, and also for the football if Kerry are split.

Yes, all these scenarios make as much and more sense as the current. One thing that is clear is that if the GAA want to bring in some semblance of equity, balance and competitive ability between teams.. then they need to rethink the holy grail that is the inter county game.

One way of achieving this would I guess be to fully professionalise the games. What would naturally follow is counties/ regions merging to put together competitive professional teams.

That's likely the most realistic scenario for the future as the pressure for a move towards pay for play is steady.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes, all these scenarios make as much and more sense as the current. One thing that is clear is that if the GAA want to bring in some semblance of equity, balance and competitive ability between teams.. then they need to rethink the holy grail that is the inter county game.

One way of achieving this would I guess be to fully professionalise the games. What would naturally follow is counties/ regions merging to put together competitive professional teams.

That's likely the most realistic scenario for the future as the pressure for a move towards pay for play is steady.

That's the danger of all of this and not something ordinary members want or will stand for. This is an amateur sport, we don't want professionalism.

That's why we need to sort out this situation now. Dublin have been operating under professional structures for a long time now, other's are pumping money in to try to keep up. If we don't asct soon it will all slip away from us.

That's the danger of all of this and not something ordinary members want or will stand for. This is an amateur sport, we don't want professionalism.

That's why we need to sort out this situation now. Dublin have been operating under professional structures for a long time now, other's are pumping money in to try to keep up. If we don't asct soon it will all slip away from us.

My suggestion doesn't require professionalism. Is that why you didn't address it?

My suggestion doesn't require professionalism. Is that why you didn't address it?

What suggestion?

What suggestion?

A number of suggestions around new county boundaries to make a competitive championship, well actually not new county boundaries, but old ones, very old ones. Let's back to the traditions of the 16th century.

• Advertisement

A number of suggestions around new county boundaries to make a competitive championship, well actually not new county boundaries, but old ones, very old ones. Let's back to the traditions of the 16th century.

I demolished your arguments pages ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and in light of the Kildare news, I'll highlight it again. The GAA couldn't split Dublin even if they wanted to, as the Dublin County Board would veto it. If Kildare can make them back down over a choice of venue, then the DCB would have them cowering in the corner by the end of day one.

Even if the DCB suddenly had a breakdown and would foolishly vote against their own best interests to split Dublin into four, I'd doubt that the other county boards would support it. Suddenly Dublin would have four times the representatives at any GAA congress, which I don't think would go down well at all.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and in light of the Kildare news, I'll highlight it again. The GAA couldn't split Dublin even if they wanted to, as the Dublin County Board would veto it. If Kildare can make them back down over a choice of venue, then the DCB would have them cowering in the corner by the end of day one.

Even if the DCB suddenly had a breakdown and would foolishly vote against their own best interests to split Dublin into four, I'd doubt that the other county boards would support it. Suddenly Dublin would have four times the representatives at any GAA congress, which I don't think would go down well at all.

No, the Kildare case shows that the weaker counties have to stand up for themselves. The money men and women in Croke Park have been doing this to other counties for years now. We need to stand together and not let our County Boards get railroaded into agreeing to HQ's every wish.
    Take Dublin out of Croke Park, make them play away games, don't let them have two games at home in the super 8's. Take the money off them and spread it fairly, don't let other counties invest huge money to stay on Dublin's coattails.
    Demand that everyone gets equal treatment, proper systems put in place in all counties, make every county put equal effort into hurling and football. The list goes on.
    Dublin getting split is inevitable. For population realities alone even. Nearly 2 million people by 2030. It's just not sustainable and it will have major benefits for Gaelic Games in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

DONTMATTER wrote:
    No, the Kildare case shows that the weaker counties have to stand up for themselves. The money men and women in Croke Park have been doing this to other counties for years now. We need to stand together and not let our County Boards get railroaded into agreeing to HQ's every wish. Take Dublin out of Croke Park, make them play away games, don't let them have two games at home in the super 8's. Take the money off them and spread it fairly, don't let other counties invest huge money to stay on Dublin's coattails. Demand that everyone gets equal treatment, proper systems put in place in all counties, make every county put equal effort into hurling and football. The list goes on. Dublin getting split is inevitable. For population realities alone even. Nearly 2 million people by 2030. It's just not sustainable and it will have major benefits for Gaelic Games in Dublin.

Any interesting results at minor level tonight lads?

Hilarious use of the word inevitable once again.
    Dublin will not be getting split for many reasons but one that I actually think would be ironic is the amount of money that the 4 new county boards would have to get would be way more between them than anything that Dublin currently get.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement