Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin Football be split?

1293031323335»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

tritium wrote: »
    Some of us well remember Mick O’Dwyer boasting about Kerry taking a wad of sponsors cash and sticking two fingers up at the GAA while they hauled in the cash so don’t pull than ****e that somehow everyone’s in this together apart from those dirty dubs. That was long before Dublin were getting any decent sponsorship deals but it did coincide with the 40 years of distortion.Once again

How do you propose to solve the kerry issue?

Oh yeah, after the Games Development money, see the Strategic Review Committee section here:

2wbvtk4.jpg

You still have the sponsorship money, I posted this earlier:

The other thing pushing this upsurge is the other finance available to Dublin. There's a lot of it. Of course freeing up resources by having your underage machine paid for helps this but the sponsorship money Dublin receives is a vital cog. There was the 6 million Vodafone deal in 2009. With increased success Dublin became even more enticing to sponsors. This led to a bidding war in 2013. AIG won this and with the recent deal added, they're up to 8 million in sponsorship money.

Added to this is a long list of other sponsors. These include; O Neills, Lifestyle sports, Ballygowan, Subaru, Aer Lingus, Energise Sports, Gourmet food parlour, the Gibson Hotel and more.

With this Dublin GAA can prepare their senior teams to a professional level. Anything that's required is available to the hurling and football management teams. They have paid coaches of all hues. Backs coaches, forward coaches, physiologists, psychologists, basketball coaches, Olympic gold medalists, World champion boxers. They are able to provide players with top nutritional content through their meal providers who prepare weekly meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

DONTMATTER wrote: »

The other thing pushing this upsurge is the other finance available to Dublin. There's a lot of it. Of course freeing up resources by having your underage machine paid for helps this but the sponsorship money Dublin receives is a vital cog. There was the 6 million Vodafone deal in 2009. With increased success Dublin became even more enticing to sponsors. This led to a bidding war in 2013. AIG won this and with the recent deal added, they're up to 8 million in sponsorship money.

Added to this is a long list of other sponsors. These include; O Neills, Lifestyle sports, Ballygowan, Subaru, Aer Lingus, Energise Sports, Gourmet food parlour, the Gibson Hotel and more.

With this Dublin GAA can prepare their senior teams to a professional level. Anything that's required is available to the hurling and football management teams. They have paid coaches of all hues. Backs coaches, forward coaches, physiologists, psychologists, basketball coaches, Olympic gold medalists, World champion boxers. They are able to provide players with top nutritional content through their meal providers who prepare weekly meals.

I know, it's fantastic isn't it? I'm so pleased for the lads. Long may it continue.
    I wish I could play for the Dubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

DONTMATTER wrote:

Some links to back this up? Do none of the Dublin players work for a living? Do other teams not have access to all of these things. (I know 100% Galway do) the spending of county teams is easily available every year. This incorporates all aspects of adult teams. Minor, U21 (U20 football) and senior. Dublin are normally at the top end but not always the top and definitely not streets ahead of anyone. All bull. No facts.

Some links to back this up? Do none of the Dublin players work for a living? Do other teams not have access to all of these things. (I know 100% Galway do) the spending of county teams is easily available every year. This incorporates all aspects of adult teams. Minor, U21 (U20 football) and senior. Dublin are normally at the top end but not always the top and definitely not streets ahead of anyone. All bull. No facts.

You disappeared for a while. Back what up exactly? Did I say anything about Dublin players jobs?
    Well the 'official' figure is released every year. How many counties have World champion boxers working for them? Can go out and pay a basketball coach to improve interplay? Plus the rest of the sizeable backroom team, this is in football and hurling by the way.
    You must remember that a lot of costs for other counties involve travel and other organisational things because players aren't based at home. Dublin GAA don't have to worry about that so much.

It's strange that no one can even attempt to argue with the tables and points raised if I'm talking bull!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You disappeared for a while. Back what up exactly? Did I say anything about Dublin players jobs?
    Well the 'official' figure is released every year. How many counties have World champion boxers working for them? Can go out and pay a basketball coach to improve interplay? Plus the rest of the sizeable backroom team, this is in football and hurling by the way.
    You must remember that a lot of costs for other counties involve travel and other organisational things because players aren't based at home. Dublin GAA don't have to worry about that so much.

It's strange that no one can even attempt to argue with the tables and points raised if I'm talking bull!

Jesus wept multiple people have had things to say about these tables, he just ignores and pretends it didn’t happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

DONTMATTER wrote:
    You disappeared for a while. Back what up exactly? Did I say anything about Dublin players jobs? Well the 'official' figure is released every year. How many counties have World champion boxers working for them? Can go out and pay a basketball coach to improve interplay? Plus the rest of the sizeable backroom team, this is in football and hurling by the way. You must remember that a lot of costs for other counties involve travel and other organisational things because players aren't based at home. Dublin GAA don't have to worry about that so much.

DONTMATTER wrote:
    You disappeared for a while. Back what up exactly? Did I say anything about Dublin players jobs? Well the 'official' figure is released every year. How many counties have World champion boxers working for them? Can go out and pay a basketball coach to improve interplay? Plus the rest of the sizeable backroom team, this is in football and hurling by the way. You must remember that a lot of costs for other counties involve travel and other organisational things because players aren't based at home. Dublin GAA don't have to worry about that so much.

So the 'official' figure doesn't suit your narrative so you put it in commons. Bravo. All your figures are to be taken at face value but others are to be ignored. According to official figures Dublin spend no more than a lot of teams. Fact. Do other teams have access to boxing coaches and basketball coaches. Maybe they do. I've no idea. You made the point so back up that other teams don't. Dublin are professional. Not a fact. Dublin are amateurs. They work jobs like other teams. Nutritionists, psychologists strength and conditioning coaches all the norm. They train on a pitch the same as any other team. Maybe it's covered in goal but I don't think it helps. Split Dublin in four would make four division two or three teams. It would decimate underage which they fail to dominate in any age group. Remove the development funding would damage kids all around Dublin. The report a few pages back showed the good this money does. I really can't see a logical argument for Dublin to be split. Better spread of money if figures were released from the GAA as to what they propose and what counties intending on doing with development money I'd be very interested to see. And yes I left this as points from page one are still be argued now. I think it's fair to say you've made your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

The sad thing is, if Dublin weren’t around the 40 year distortion of the game would look even more consistently stark, with Kerry likely having a similar number of football titles in the recent window as Dublin have now.

And it wouldn’t raise so much as a peep from the split Dublin brigade, in fact many of them would be delighted with the continued distortion. And they’d keep assuring us all it has always been a level playing field for the Leitrims and promising they had best intentions at heart.

Once again in the vain hope you might actually answer: what do you propose to do to address the Kerry issue?

So the 'official' figure doesn't suit your narrative so you put it in commons. Bravo. All your figures are to be taken at face value but others are to be ignored. According to official figures Dublin spend no more than a lot of teams. Fact. Do other teams have access to boxing coaches and basketball coaches. Maybe they do. I've no idea. You made the point so back up that other teams don't. Dublin are professional. Not a fact. Dublin are amateurs. They work jobs like other teams. Nutritionists, psychologists strength and conditioning coaches all the norm. They train on a pitch the same as any other team. Maybe it's covered in goal but I don't think it helps. Split Dublin in four would make four division two or three teams. It would decimate underage which they fail to dominate in any age group. Remove the development funding would damage kids all around Dublin. The report a few pages back showed the good this money does. I really can't see a logical argument for Dublin to be split. Better spread of money if figures were released from the GAA as to what they propose and what counties intending on doing with development money I'd be very interested to see. And yes I left this as points from page one are still be argued now. I think it's fair to say you've made your point.

What are you talking about? The official figures back up what I'm saying even. Did you read my post? Other counties organisational and travel expenses for out of county players is far higher.
    Back up that other teams don't? What? How can I back up a negative? The truth is that Dublin have access to coaches for all kind of things, on field coaches and off field coaches. Certainly more than the huge majority of teams. This is all separate to the millions spent actually creating players by the way.
    I said they prepare teams to a professional level. This is fact.

It wouldn't decimate underage, it would do the opposite! Far more players would have access to minor and u20 competitions at inter county level. With a more focused strategy, the drop out rates will be cut.
    You don't remove the development funding, you spread it fairly between all counties, including these 4 new ones. That's what's called a fair system.
    The game should develop in all counties under this new system as there'll be paid Strategic officers in place to look after it. It will make the game stronger in all counties, including our capital.

tritium wrote: »
    The sad thing is, if Dublin weren’t around the 40 year distortion of the game would look even more consistently stark, with Kerry likely having a similar number of football titles in the recent window as Dublin have now.

And it wouldn’t raise so much as a peep from the split Dublin brigade, in fact many of them would be delighted with the continued distortion. And they’d keep assuring us all it has always been a level playing field for the Leitrims and promising they had best intentions at heart.

Once again in the vain hope you might actually answer: what do you propose to do to address the Kerry issue?

2wbvtk4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mayo spend more, as do Cork. When you take into account the single sport issue, Mayo, Kerry, Kilkenny, Kildare and others also spend more than Dublin on their senior team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think this is starting to go around in a pretty large circle, so may be closed soon -the same material is being posted time and time again

I'm locking it for now, and the mods will discuss where it will go.

Anyone who decides to start a new thread will find themselves in hot water, as will those who take this debate across to other threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement