Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another fúckin gift .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Soft goal. Another mistake by Mcnulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Shocking goalkeeping. Had been doing ok without much threat. All hope gone now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

McNulty is a spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Don't blame McNulty, I blame whoever "cleared" the ball from the corner flag into the centre of the pitch, straight in front of goal.

• Advertisement

major bill wrote: »
    McNulty is a spoofer

Shows the difference between the LOI and European football, McNulty is a fine keeper in the LOI although I never really thought he was great with the ball at his feet but in the two matches against Rosenborg he has struggled and was poor for 2 of the 3 goals so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Poor again.

kksaints wrote: »
    Shows the difference between the LOI and European football, McNulty is a fine keeper in the LOI although I never really thought he was great with the ball at his feet but in the two matches against Rosenborg he has struggled and was poor for 2 of the 3 goals so far.

He’s an ok keeper I’d have Supple over him any day of the week!

Obviously tested in Europe more as it’s a much better standard but he’s cost a few goals for Cork in this euro campaign!

Frustrating

Another poor goal.

What the **** is Griffin doing there? Never mind looking at the player, you are supposed to be marking him. Put in a ****ing tackle!

• Advertisement

Played well for a lot of the first half. First goal was cleared awfully firstly and then a flap by McNulty, awful stuff.
    Second was avoidable aswell had Griffin gotten close enough to tackle instead of staying a full yard behind him.
    Delaney giving away too much ball doesn't help either.
    Hope they keep trying and grab a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Adrienne Kind Prism

major bill wrote: »
    He’s an ok keeper I’d have Supple over him any day of the week!

Obviously tested in Europe more as it’s a much better standard but he’s cost a few goals for Cork in this euro campaign!

Frustrating

Hes always been like that, theres an error in him or he flaps it a bit but he gets away with it as the Irish league is poor....Why does he persist with shane griffin......there may be a winger in there but he's not a left back

Morrissey's clearance looks even worse when you see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I thought Cork started well, but they began to struggle to close down Rosenborg when they got quality possession. Their passing is nice and crisp.

Of course, all that good work was undone by a moment of stupidity by McNulty. I haven't been too impressed with Delaney, I'd far rather see Bennett in there.

McNamee on instead of Morrissey, hopefully he will create something.

McNulty......close your legs......Again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    McNulty......close your legs......Again !!

It was a good move though.

Cork need to tighten up or it could get worse.

It was a good move though.

True, but when a keeper gets beaten through his legs in back to back games.....

He has a habit of 'setting' his feet too wide and can't get them back in time.

Ffs.

Genuine question. I haven't seen City as much this year as usual but are City actually any better with Delaney? They are looking very disjointed at the back out there.

Delaney is doing alright in the league. He doesn't spread the ball as much in loi and he's been poor at that tonight.

• Advertisement

Unlucky there.

So unlucky not to score there , twice!

Sheppard has had a good game, I like Coughlan and whole he gets a lot of game time in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

At least we have a game on Sunday..

They kept going and performed well enough in the second half. Couple of close calls for goals but it wasn't to be. They will be leggy on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Mark McNulty showing once again he doesn't cut the mustard. He's not even one of the best keepers in the league. Reckon Cork will be shopping over the off-season. Aaron McCarey maybe?

Kerr making some good points.

Thought City did ok I guess. Simple mistakes cost them. Maybe Rosenberg could have turned it on to beat us even if we hadn't made those mistakes but it's hard to take being beaten by such stupid, basic errors.

Is McNulty still injured though?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Mark McNulty showing once again he doesn't cut the mustard. He's not even one of the best keepers in the league. Reckon Cork will be shopping over the off-season. Aaron McCarey maybe?

2nd least conceded goals in the league. Wouldn't read too much into European results to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Larnace beating Graz 7-0 on aggregate puts the dundalk result in some perspective. Really got unluck with that draw as a seeded side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good rant from Kerr there. Wont be heard in the FAI but at least he said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Good rant from Kerr there. Wont be heard in the FAI but at least he said it.

Same old sh*t heard every year....
    Would love to see overall loi clubs succeed though

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

First 20 minutes city were all over them then conceded a cheap goal and the heads dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Larnaca are a completely different from last year. Practically all Spanish, with a few others thrown in, Macedonian, Brazilian, etc. Apoel through tonight too, and they too are mainly drawn from other countries mainly Brazilian with Portuguese and Argentinian players included.

How are Cypriot clubs doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

joeysoap wrote: »
    Larnaca are a completely different from last year. Practically all Spanish, with a few others thrown in, Macedonian, Brazilian, etc. Apoel through tonight too, and they too are mainly drawn from other countries mainly Brazilian with Portuguese and Argentinian players included.

How are Cypriot clubs doing that?

TV money is part of it. Each club negotiates its own rights. Apoel get €1.9m a year from a state owned telecoms company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

id have to agree with this poor tonight and the back up cherrie is crap aswell-grand for loi but europe no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

McNulty has been one of the league's outstanding goalkeepers for over a decade now. Yes, he's prone to the odd blunder, and his work with the ball at his feet can be very dodgy, but he's won games for City single-handed (pun intended :D) in the past.

I'd say he's good for the rest of the season, and maybe for next season too. We do need a replacement soon though.

McNulty's two performances in Europe this year haven't been great, but as someone else pointed out, that's more of a reflection of the gulf in class between the LoI and much of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Eod100 wrote: »
    2nd least conceded goals in the league. Wouldn't read too much into European results to be fair

I think it's disguised by the Cork's solid defense and midfield as opposed to McNulty himself.

I know he's a cork legend and all that but he cost you goals over the two ties.

Bohs have one of the worst defences in the league and you can make a very strong case that Supple is the best keeper in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think it's disguised by the Cork's solid defense and midfield as opposed to McNulty himself.

I know he's a cork legend and all that but he cost you goals over the two ties.

Bohs have one of the worst defences in the league and you can make a very strong case that Supple is the best keeper in the league

I think Supple is head and shoulders above everyone else(aside from the Waterford keeper who was on loan). For some reason it seems our keepers are constantly getting shown up in Europe, I would of thought keeping is keeping no matter the opposition. I just hope Kenny realises Rogers isn't good enough and goes on the hunt in the off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The standard of goalkeeper in the league hasn't been great in general really, was only thinking about this the other day, the only keeper who I thought really stood out in the past few years that I can remember was Brian Murphy with Bohs.

• Advertisement

Supple is a great keeper, but he wants to play Gaelic for his club as well. Too big a risk for City or Dundalk.

Looking at Europe, I think it’s very possible even probably that better LOI sides , if seeded will get past the first round. Maybe even with a good draw another round. That’s around €500,000 but after that it’s very hard to see progress. There is a lot of really good European sides in the Europa League now. Qualifying for the group stage is really hard now.

As for champions league, it’s virtually impossible to qualify for the group stage now. Dundalk were only a bad refereeing decision from qualifying, but the new format really does benefit the big clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The standard of goalkeeper in the league hasn't been great in general really, was only thinking about this the other day, the only keeper who I thought really stood out in the past few years that I can remember was Brian Murphy with Bohs.

Such a shame he seemed content to sit on the bench in the UK, played less than 50 games since he left Bohs. Massive waste of talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

joeysoap wrote: »
    Supple is a great keeper, but he wants to play Gaelic for his club as well. Too big a risk for City or Dundalk.

Looking at Europe, I think it’s very possible even probably that better LOI sides , if seeded will get past the first round. Maybe even with a good draw another round. That’s around €500,000 but after that it’s very hard to see progress. There is a lot of really good European sides in the Europa League now. Qualifying for the group stage is really hard now.

As for champions league, it’s virtually impossible to qualify for the group stage now. Dundalk were only a bad refereeing decision from qualifying, but the new format really does benefit the big clubs.

I thought I heard on one of the podcasts recently that he has stopped playing GAA but I could be wrong.

It has definitely gotten more difficult for Irish teams but for whoever wins the league they have a decent chance of getting through a few rounds. Cork were unlucky with the draw this year but if you say Dundalk are to qualify next year and are seeded for the first round, they should at least get to the ELQ R3 and that is without any easy draws or any upsets. If a bit of luck is on their side then the playoff is not unrealistic.

Reaching the playoffs should be the aspiration for our top clubs IMO, if you got that far a couple of times you would get the rub of the green eventually and get to the group stages.

I can only think of a handful of keepers over the years that were ''quality'' , Brian Murphy prob the best keeper I have seen, but as mentioned awful waste, happy to pocket his money whilst sitting on the bench easily couldve kept the line for a Championship or League 1 side. Alan Mannus was another one that stands out, was decent with Rovers during his first spell with the club.

O'Malley was another one, should have a decent career in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's perfectly fair enough to be criticising McNulty this season, he's really been off his game and has cost far too many goals. But he's been incredibly consistent over the past 6-7 years and easily one of the best in the league in that period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Brian Murphy is the best keeper I've seen in the LOI, agree with the above, should have played more in England and would have been capped for Ireland if he had.

Shane Supple doesn't play GAA anymore but as far as I know he doesn't want to go full time. He's not had the greatest season this year, but still solid enough. I can see him staying with us (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I thought I heard on one of the podcasts recently that he has stopped playing GAA but I could be wrong.

It has definitely gotten more difficult for Irish teams but for whoever wins the league they have a decent chance of getting through a few rounds. Cork were unlucky with the draw this year but if you say Dundalk are to qualify next year and are seeded for the first round, they should at least get to the ELQ R3 and that is without any easy draws or any upsets. If a bit of luck is on their side then the playoff is not unrealistic.

Reaching the playoffs should be the aspiration for our top clubs IMO, if you got that far a couple of times you would get the rub of the green eventually and get to the group stages.

Dundalk IF they win the league should be looking for a playoff.

Win 1st round when seeded. Then even losing 2nd round will be seeded in 3rd round against another team that would have been knocked out in first round.

They could be unlucky with a terrible draw like this year but this year was still a disappointment and it should be the minimum expectation.

Should Cork win they dont have the benefit of seeding so should be looking at 3rd round as minimum expectation

Dundalk IF they win the league should be looking for a playoff.

Win 1st round when seeded. Then even losing 2nd round will be seeded in 3rd round against another team that would have been knocked out in first round.

They could be unlucky with a terrible draw like this year but this year was still a disappointment and it should be the minimum expectation.

Should Cork win they dont have the benefit of seeding so should be looking at 3rd round as minimum expectation

How does the seeding work? Is it something to do with coefficents this year?

Eod100 wrote: »
    How does the seeding work? Is it something to do with coefficents this year?

Coefficients are built up over a number of years, or clubs default to a their countries co efficient (ireland currently on 1490 so that will be Waterford’s co efficient should they quality).

Dundalk are currently ahead of Appolon but they have yet to awarded points for this year so they will pass Dundalk out. City are currently ahead of Rangers but as they are still involved they will pass City out.

You don’t know for certain until the various leagues are over who is seeded or not, however you can probably make a good estimate before then.

Teams highlighted in green still involved this year so have yet to receive this years points. Up to date as of now, bar clubs in green or new clubs qualifying.

https://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2018-2019/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

3 points clear, game in hand.
    Lovely jubbly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement