Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Jesus, Legia are getting in on it as well.

https://twitter.com/LegiaWarsawEN/status/1009053659915833344
    Legia have something to shout about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jesus, Legia are getting in on it as well.

https://twitter.com/LegiaWarsawEN/status/1009053659915833344

Those stars represent the European flag. You probably wouldn't know a lot about that, it's not like Shelbourne have played in Europe any time recently.

LOL.

Europe doesn't have a flag.

Or are you one of these uneducated people who confuses the European Union with the whole continent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Furthermore, the Republic of Cork is not a member of the European Union. So the crest is dumb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The amount of chat on something as cringeworthy as that, is actually equally cringeworthy in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

An attention seeking tweet got attention. Wow. Imagine.

Embrace the hate. I think it’s glorious. The bitterness of some fans of other smaller clubs than ours is tangible. Seem to think that being in existence for a certain period of time is a badge of honour. It’s about the here and now and in the here and now CCFC are double champions and are tweeting utter cringey rubbish to get attention. I guess those shouting the loudest have forgotten what it’s like to be relevant.

Imagine what it will be like if we retain the league!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

City should be kicked out of the Europe for that tweet, absolutely disgraceful carry on. Bringing shame to the league and making a fool of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Zebra3 wrote: »
    LOL.

Or are you one of these uneducated people who confuses the European Union with the whole continent?

No, I'm one of those people who knows that there is something called the European flag, used by both the EU and the Council of Europe.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/symbols/flag_en

Don't you hate when you try to act like a smartarse, but your own ignorance backfires on you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oat23 wrote: »
    Furthermore, the Republic of Cork is not a member of the European Union. So the crest is dumb.

Luckily that trade agreement with Sligo is in place despite being a non member :P

LOL.

Ah lad, that’s very harsh.
    You could have just cut out that entire second paragraph.

• Advertisement

No, I'm one of those people who knows that there is something called the European flag, used by both the EU and the Council of Europe.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/symbols/flag_en

Don't you hate when you try to act like a smartarse, but your own ignorance backfires on you? :pac:

Which still doesn't reflect all of Europe (nor UEFA's membership).

You'll have to google harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

So Johnny C is already getting excuses ready if Cork lose, while also taking a dig at Dundalk :rolleyes:

Which still doesn't reflect all of Europe (nor UEFA's membership).

You'll have to google harder.

I don't recall saying it reflected all of Europe. I said that the Twitter photo of 12 stars in a circle around the City crest, which was put up in the run up to a draw of the Union of European Football Associations, referenced the European flag. Which it clearly does.

You're the one who said that Europe doesn't have a flag and called me uneducated, when you thought that there was no European flag and the 12 star flag referred to the EU only. Maybe if you had used Google, you would have found that out.

You keep up that obsession with City and having a pop whenever you get the chance. We'll enjoy the Champions League.

The stream for the main path of the Europa League draw is available here. It starts at 11am.

All groups containing ten teams, which include Derry and Rovers, will be draw simultaneously according to their numbering. They're in Groups 4 and 5 and are number 10.

The groups containing 12 teams, which include Dundalk, will be drawn together as well. They're number 2 in Group 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Maquire is such a loss for the European games.

Cummins done well but it will be very tough for him up top on his own.

Don't think Cork will do as bad as some might think. Will have little of the ball but Legia are in pre-season & will probably be missing some players with the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

So Dundalk got FC Tallinn from Estonia.
    Away first. Should be winnable. Prob the hardest draw from the pairing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Shamrock Rovers v AIK (Sweden)
    Derry City v Dinamo Minsk (Belarus)
    Dundalk FC v Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd heavily fancy Dundalk to beat Levadia. Wouldn't have too much hope for Derry or Rovers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Dundalk should hop off Levadia in both legs.

Bad draw for Rovers in a footballing sense but will no doubt bring big numbers over.

Saw Dinamo Minsk a couple of years ago against Pats, nothing much to shout about but Derry may struggle.

CCFC knocked Levadia out last season 6-2 on aggregate. They are not up to much at all. Dundalk will beat them with a similar margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If Dundalk progress they will face AEK Larnaca in the second round, is that the exact same path that Cork had last year?

• Advertisement

If Dundalk progress they will face AEK Larnaca in the second round, is that the exact same path that Cork had last year?

Funnily enough, yes.

I don't recall saying it reflected all of Europe. I said that the Twitter photo of 12 stars in a circle around the City crest, which was put up in the run up to a draw of the Union of European Football Associations, referenced the European flag. Which it clearly does.

You're the one who said that Europe doesn't have a flag and called me uneducated, when you thought that there was no European flag and the 12 star flag referred to the EU only. Maybe if you had used Google, you would have found that out.

You keep up that obsession with City and having a pop whenever you get the chance. We'll enjoy the Champions League.

The continent of Europe does not have a flag.

And there is no obsession with your franchise. The only obsession is your fans claiming there is an obsession any time any Shels fans comment on something on a forum!!!

Anyway, tough draws for all LoI clubs in Europe bar Dundalk who should progress.

Given their seeding, they're not the best draws for Dundalk. Both Levadia and Larnaca were among the top unseeded teams in either round. Should still beat Levadia, but there were some handier draws in terms of travel and quality of opposition. Larnaca ended up getting to the play-offs last year. They were knocked out by a Czech side that topped their group and made it to the last 16.

Dundalk fans should be wary of booking flights in advance to Cyprus. There are two other Cypriot teams in the Europa League that have played their home European games in Larnaca in the past. That could affect the order of the legs. Our matches were reversed last season, because there was another Cypriot team playing in Larnaca's stadium.

Is there a stage during the qualifiers at which Turner’s Cross wouldn’t be deemed suitable by UEFA or would that just be if they were to reach the tournament?
    I’m not really informed with regard to stadium categories and what not.

Not a dig at Turner’s Cross by the way, I like the grounds.

Is there a stage during the qualifiers at which Turner’s Cross wouldn’t be deemed suitable by UEFA or would that just be if they were to reach the tournament?
    I’m not really informed with regard to stadium categories and what not.

Not a dig at Turner’s Cross by the way, I like the grounds.

I believe it's fine as far as the CL 3rd round or EL playoff. Technically, it falls down in some areas even for a Category 3 stadium (what you need for CL R3/EL playoff), but UEFA can give certain concessions.

I'm not sure where we'd play if we get that far. The GAA wouldn't let us use Páirc Uí Chaoimh and even then, wouldn't be so sure it's up to standard (World Rugby were critical of it in the RWC bid). Thomond maybe, but again, just because it's up to IRFU/European Rugby standard doesn't necessarily mean it meets all the UEFA criteria.

Hopefully we'll get to find out, but I'm not looking past the Legia match for the moment!

I believe it's fine as far as the CL 3rd round or EL playoff. Technically, it falls down in some areas even for a Category 3 stadium (what you need for CL R3/EL playoff), but UEFA can give certain concessions.

I'm not sure where we'd play if we get that far. The GAA wouldn't let us use Páirc Uí Chaoimh and even then, wouldn't be so sure it's up to standard (World Rugby were critical of it in the RWC bid). Thomond maybe, but again, just because it's up to IRFU/European Rugby standard doesn't necessarily mean it meets all the UEFA criteria.

Hopefully we'll get to find out, but I'm not looking past the Legia match for the moment!
    Its shameful that the GAA won’t allow ye to use Páirc Uí Chaoimh, especially as it’s the only alternative in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

€30 million of the tax payer's money funded that stadium, which was about 43% of the stadium's cost. If the stadium was compatible, I'd take them to court over it. It probably isn't compatible because €70 million for a stadium that large isn't that much money.

This article here says Thomond Park has been approved by UEFA as an international football venue. Not sure if that means it fits into UEFA category 4 standard.

I've never been to Cork, but looking at Google Earth, I reckon CPOing the houses along the Derrynane Road, O'Connell Ave and Curragh Road and building a stand there is the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I've never been to Cork, but looking at Google Earth, I reckon CPOing the houses along the Derrynane Road, O'Connell Ave and Curragh Road and building a stand there is the best option.

:D

Bohs fan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ah Jaysus, leave it out.

• Advertisement

Its shameful that the GAA won’t allow ye to use Páirc Uí Chaoimh, especially as it’s the only alternative in the county.

Those ****ers wont allow the Liam Miller testimonial/fundraiser happen in PUC so what chance do we have of getting a UEFA game played there.

Now Im not saying for a moment that they are under any obligation to house another code, but for the likes of the Miller game they really should let what ever moralising at the door and let that game happen to raise some money for a young mans family stolen from them by cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

bot43 wrote: »
    Those ****ers wont allow the Liam Miller testimonial/fundraiser happen in PUC so what chance do we have of getting a UEFA game played there.

Now Im not saying for a moment that they are under any obligation to house another code, but for the likes of the Miller game they really should let what ever moralising at the door and let that game happen to raise some money for a young mans family stolen from them by cancer.

Make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

bot43 wrote: »

Public money should not be given to sporting bodies who maintain a sectarian approach to sport.

Sport is sport, and bodies is receipt of public money should not be allowed to be discriminatory.

I thought society had moved on from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Public money should not be given to sporting bodies who maintain a sectarian approach to sport.

Sport is sport, and bodies is receipt of public money should not be allowed to be discriminatory.

Really? What made you think that? Government gave PuC c.€30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It has... just the GAA hasn't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Turners cross is fine for europa league play off games its the best ground in the league by a mile

pairc ui rinn ,musgrave park are there aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Zico ! wrote: »

pairc ui rinn ,musgrave park are there aswell
    Turners Cross ranks higher than those 2 as per UEFA standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Zico ! wrote: »
    Turners cross is fine for europa league play off games its the best ground in the league by a mile

Tallaght is just as good!

• Advertisement

No its not.
    When it's actually finished, I might change my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I hate Tallaght. It's soulless

Turners Cross, Terryland and Sligo Showgrounds are top three in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

doncarlos wrote: »

Not when Dundalk played there in the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

doncarlos wrote: »

Sligo's nice but a bit too small. My view on Terryland is ruined by my trips there when Mervue were tenants, had the entire away stand to myself :pac:

I wish I was around the LOI when Tolka was fully operational :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

New stand in Tallaght will make it a very good stadium. Maybe the hardcore Rovers might relocate there as well.

Tallaght when Dundalk played was a brillant atmosphere especially the Bate game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Tallaght Stadium is excellent. Great home support just a shame Dundalk dont play their every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I went into soccerway.com (competitions) and to check out Levadia.
    And was somewhat shocked to see they recently won a recent cup match 12 - 0.

https://ie.soccerway.com/matches/2018/06/22/estonia/cup/fc-soccernet/fc-levadia-tallinn/2789776/

I then had a look at the cup results from other matches.

You have to see it to believe it

https://ie.soccerway.com/national/estonia/cup/20182019/s15999/final-stages/

:pac:

Turners Cross ranks higher than those 2 as per UEFA standards.

We are on about a ground in Cork that can host a charity game for Liam Miller not hosting UEFA games those 2 grounds are bigger than turners cross if PUC is not available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

wadacrack wrote: »
    Tallaght Stadium is excellent. Great home support just a shame Dundalk dont play their every week.

Just wait until the project is complete. It’s going to be awesome 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Just wait until the project is complete. It’s going to be awesome ��

Great to see it. And SR can probably thank Dundalk for that too. Without those euro matches SDCC would never have have built another stand or developed the ground further. (Although I agree, it’s a fine ground as it is) I don’t think it met the requirements for euro league matches, Dundalk got a exemption. But even at that had to change the dug outs and erect a hospitality marquee in front of the west stand

*werent rovers granted permission for a temporary stand for their euro matches a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Sligo's nice but a bit too small. My view on Terryland is ruined by my trips there when Mervue were tenants, had the entire away stand to myself :pac:

I wish I was around the LOI when Tolka was fully operational :(

When I started going the games in 2000, Dalymount and Tolka were easily top two in the country, loved going to Tolka.

Bloody shame the way both went and its a sign of what happens with reckless spending trying to stay at the top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement