Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

joeysoap wrote: »
    Great to see it. And SR can probably thank Dundalk for that too. Without those euro matches SDCC would never have have built another stand or developed the ground further. (Although I agree, it’s a fine ground as it is) I don’t think it met the requirements for euro league matches, Dundalk got a exemption. But even at that had to change the dug outs and erect a hospitality marquee in front of the west stand

*werent rovers granted permission for a temporary stand for their euro matches a few years ago?

Funding was agreed by South Dublin County Council for the third stand long before Dundalk played their group stage at the venue.
    Funding has now also been approved by the Council for the fourth stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Funding was agreed by South Dublin County Council for the third stand long before Dundalk played their group stage at the venue.
    Funding has now also been approved by the Council for the fourth stand.

ageeed that council work at their own speed, Dundalk matches were 2 years ago.

It is a fine ground, Though with 4 stands I can see other sports using it a lot more.

ageeed that council work at their own speed, Dundalk matches were 2 years ago.

It is a fine ground, Though with 4 stands I can see other sports using it a lot more.

There was a problem initially with the first tender and it had to go out again. That's why it is just being finished now.
    Already this year, there has been rugby, gaelic, American football, opening ceremony of Special Olympics, womens internationals, underage internationals and other events along with Rovers matches. There is always something on in the stadium. The extra seating will allow for concerts.
    I can also see the FAI Cup Final reverting to Tallaght Stadium when the fourth stand is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I can also see the FAI Cup Final reverting to Tallaght Stadium when the fourth stand is completed.

Wouldn't be big enough for most clubs. Dundalk and Cork have each taken over ten thousand to each of last three finals. I think Derry, Sligo etc were all similar when they played. It's a nice reward for players to play in the national stadium also.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Wouldn't be big enough for most clubs. Dundalk and Cork have each taken over ten thousand to each of last three finals. I think Derry, Sligo etc were all similar when they played. It's a nice reward for players to play in the national stadium also.

Agreed. However, the arrangement between the IRFU and the FAI is finishing up (this year?). AVIVA won't be available without paying the going rate. Either the FAI increase the ticket costs for the FAI Cup final, in which case the numbers might go down, or they go to a more cost effective venue. Tallaght Stadium will be close to 11,000 seats, which means that each team could get 4500 tickets with the remainder going to sponsors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Tallaght isn't nearly big enough for the FAI Cup Final. The existing capacity is up to 6,000 with two stands going the length of the pitch. I can't see the capacity getting above 10,000 with what would be two compartively smaller stands behind the goals. Attendances have dipped below 10,000 for only three finals (plus one replay) since 2000. Only one in (the old) Lansdowne; one each in Tallaght and Tolka (replay in Dalymount). The lowest attendance in the new Lansdowne was still over 16,000. The average attendance in those eight finals has been a touch above 23,000.

The new Lansdowne and the FAI's sensible pricing has brought a new lease of life to FAI Cup Finals. Playing in the national stadium is a big deal for players. That shouldn't be taken away in favour of playing in a stadium on the outskirts of county Dublin that's nowhere near big enough to cater for it.

At best, it (and the new Dalymount) should host neutral President's Cup/League Cup finals, if the teams aren't far. But given some of the away attendances that travel to those, doing away with home venues might take away the shine for teams that get to host it and lead to two tiny sets of supporters for a final.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    At best, it (and the new Dalymount) should host neutral President's Cup/League Cup finals, if the teams aren't far. But given some of the away attendances that travel to those, doing away with home venues might take away the shine for teams that get to host it and lead to two tiny sets of supporters for a final.

League winners should host the presidents cup. It doesnt make sense this season for example Cork travelling to Dundalk after winning a double

Just going back on topic, Dundalk weren't given an exemption when using Tallaght Stadium. The ground was brought up to standard by putting in temporary structures for the corporate facilities (marquees etc) and some spectator seating was converted to media seating as there is a UEFA requirement for minimum of 75 media positions for the group stages and there are only 25 media positions in Tallaght. There is also a requirement for a minimum number of reserved seating ( posh seats ) and that was done also.
    Other stuff like new dugouts, mixed zone, storage rooms etc were provided.

Just going back on topic, Dundalk weren't given an exemption when using Tallaght Stadium. The ground was brought up to standard by putting in temporary structures for the corporate facilities (marquees etc) and some spectator seating was converted to media seating as there is a UEFA requirement for minimum of 75 media positions for the group stages and there are only 25 media positions in Tallaght. There is also a requirement for a minimum number of reserved seating ( posh seats ) and that was done also.
    Other stuff like new dugouts, mixed zone, storage rooms etc were provided.

I’m not sure 6,000 met the criteria. Think it’s more like 8,000

According to this cat 4 stadium required, and that’s 8,000

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories#Differences_between_categories

I said and I will repeat: Tallaght is a fine stadium. ( and it will be better for the extra stands.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

CCFC announce they will have The Samaritans logo on the back of their shirts for the 2018 European campaign.

Anything that helps raise awareness of The Samaritans and the work they do is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Great to see it. And SR can probably thank Dundalk for that too. Without those euro matches SDCC would never have have built another stand or developed the ground further. (Although I agree, it’s a fine ground as it is) I don’t think it met the requirements for euro league matches, Dundalk got a exemption. But even at that had to change the dug outs and erect a hospitality marquee in front of the west stand

*werent rovers granted permission for a temporary stand for their euro matches a few years ago?

The stand was funded by a revenue surplus for SDCC in 2015 and the option was to put that into building a third stand.

Ticket prices for Oriel (limit under 3,000)

Stand €20 - sold out

Ground -€15

LoI teams' European campaigns begin in the coming week.

City are home to Legia on Tuesday evening in the Champions League. 40 tickets were left at lunchtime, so would expect it'll be sold out by the end of the day.

On Thursday, Rovers are at home to AIK (live on Eir Sport), Derry are home to Dinamo Minsk and Dundalk are away to Levadia Tallinn.

Would expect Dundalk to beat Levadia, but Rovers and Derry will have it tough. Can't see anything other than a Legia win against us, unfortunately. They'll be missing a couple of players not yet back in training after the World Cup and they're early in pre-season, so hopefully there's a chance we can catch them on the hop. McNulty injured is a big blow for us.

How are ticket sales for the other clubs going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Any of these games on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Any of these games on TV?

According to this Dundalk are looking at streaming their game

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107469908&postcount=1113

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

howiya wrote: »
    According to this Dundalk are looking at streaming their game

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107469908&postcount=1113

Rovers are on eir sport Thursday night as well

City v Legia officially sold out. Last batch of tickets sold today.

The club are looking at the idea of streaming as well, but nothing confirmed. Hopefully something can be sorted. As well as catering for City/LoI fans that can't make the match, there would likely be a lot of Legia fans tuning in. They had 10,000 watching one of their pre-season friendlies the other day.

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/1016325314639777793

Can't see anything other than a Legia win against us, unfortunately. They'll be missing a couple of players not yet back in training after the World Cup and they're early in pre-season, so hopefully there's a chance we can catch them on the hop. McNulty injured is a big blow for us.

How are ticket sales for the other clubs going?

I think Cork are very capable of getting a result in this game. They are extremely well organised and hard to break down. A one nil win or a draw is very possible as Legia are still in pre-season.

I don't think Cherrie is a bad replacement. He was probably the best shot stopper in the league during his time with Dundalk but can sometimes lose concentration when it comes to crosses or dipping shots from far out.

I think Cork are very capable of getting a result in this game. They are extremely well organised and hard to break down. A one nil win or a draw is very possible as Legia are still in pre-season.

I don't think Cherrie is a bad replacement. He was probably the best shot stopper in the league during his time with Dundalk but can sometimes lose concentration when it comes to crosses or dipping shots from far out.

Absolutely, anything can happen in football. All it takes is a good set-piece. But we'll have to be disciplined at the back, where we've been disappointing in the big games this season. Legia failed to beat Dundalk or Pats at home, so if we can keep it tight in the first leg, you never know.

Yeah, as far as backup keepers go, he's definitely one of the better ones. He's a lot better than some of the sub keepers we've had in previous years.

• Advertisement

Legia failed to beat Dundalk or Pats at home, so if we can keep it tight in the first leg, you never know.

They got a disgraceful peno in Lansdowne and conceded from a break when we were chasing a goal to bring it to extra time over in Warsaw. Margins are so tight in Europe.

They're a very good side but if we got them in this round like Cork did I think Dundalk would have knocked them out.

Good luck to all the teams. Success for any of them is a good thing for the league. We have improved over the last few years and further progress is going to help teams progress more in the future.

A win for Cork and they would have a good shot at least a Europa playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How come Cork game isnt on TV? Seeing as it a sellout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Clashing with the world cup I presume.

They got a disgraceful peno in Lansdowne and conceded from a break when we were chasing a goal to bring it to extra time over in Warsaw. Margins are so tight in Europe.

They're a very good side but if we got them in this round like Cork did I think Dundalk would have knocked them out.

I still thought they were on top over in Warsaw despite being down to ten men. Dundalk, in fairness, looked out on their feet towards the end and you couldn't blame after the shift they put in. Legia looked like they were still raring to go. They looked unbelievably fit. Maybe we might be able to catch them being so early on in the season for them, but they'll still have been on rigorous individual programmes during the summer, so will be physically fit.

Good luck City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Going to be extra tough for us at the Brandywell on Thursday.

I'm hoping against hope really. I think it will be an away win, I just hope it isn't too easy for the visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How come Cork game isnt on TV? Seeing as it a sellout?
    Clashing with the world cup I presume.

A France vs Belgium World Cup semi final, no less. That's worthy of being a final. That makes the sell-out all the more impressive. Well done to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

Best of luck to all the LOI clubs in europe this season, hopefully it might be us next season with a bit of luck :) (Waterford FC fan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Wishing the very best to Cork City tonight.

What a fabulous occasion to be part of. Yes, its a tough tie but there are no easy ones at the top table.

I've been reading Neal Horgan's book about the collapse of the club 10 years ago. What a turnaround for the fans.

Enjoy the occasion, do yourselves and the league justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm liking all the love we're getting from fellow LoI supporters here. The love goes both ways as far as I'm concerned :D

Best of luck to all our teams in Europe!

City plan on doing a stream tonight.

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/1016640555433054209

Game tonight being streamed on the same site that Dundalk had the other day https://t.co/T0I1QVGFG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

So do we hold much hope for Cork getting a result tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Guffy wrote: »
    So do we hold much hope for Cork getting a result tonight?

To be honest, not too much hope, but as we've seen in the World Cup, football can throw up some strange results at times. 0-0 would be a great result, 1-0 even better :D

I think they could get a draw tonight to at least make next week interesting. They have been very good at home all year and Legia are just in pre-season

If Cork play to their optimum, I can see them holding Legia scoreless.

A buzzing Turners Cross with Cork nipping at their heels is not something Legia will relish.

Cork could pose a danger from set pieces but I struggle to see them offering too much from open play.

Keeping Legia scoreless and the tie alive for the second leg would be an excellent result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Come on Leiga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

very very defensive line up from Cork.

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFC/status/1016737977236643841

That is a surprising line up. Lovely to see Peter Cherrie start in the Champions League.

He deserves it.

Is it ultra defensive or is Caulfield throwing Legia a curve ball?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

My stream is ok but it seems like it’s a hand held camera- horrendous

mark_jmc wrote: »
    My stream is ok but it seems like it’s a hand held camera- horrendous

Not working on mobile by the looks of it. Disappointing. Guess i have to watch the WC.

Whatever happened to RebelRadio's commentary? Their stream hasnt been active for a while now.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Does it work on a laptop? I never got further than the two teams lined up before kickoff.

Duno. Im on mobile, but someone said it works so assumed it did on desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

There is a live stream on YouTube working well- am I allowed to post the link?

mark_jmc wrote: »
    There is a live stream on YouTube working well- am I allowed to post the link?

Unsure, can you pm it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That site nobody had ever heard of that shows games from the Maldives premier league was always going to struggle when 10,000+ people piled in. Not sure what they were expecting.

Facebook stream from legia is fine.

https://www.facebook.com/LegiaWarszawa/videos/10157895677844578

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City did very well. Limited them for the most part. Thought it would take something special for them to score, and it did.
    Great to be able to watch from France, jumpy picture but a lot better than nothing! 75,000 tuned in apparently.

Advertisement