Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Great effort from City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

When you don't start your top 2 goalscorers you will miss chances to score.

Caulfield paying the price for a poor team selection. Legia playing there first competitive game in 2 months not the time to go so defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MD1990 wrote: »

Caulfield paying the price for a poor team selection. Legia playing there first competitive game in 2 months not the time to go so defensive.

The same top goalscorer that missed a great chance?

Just fell a little asleep for the goal but it was a great strike, don't know how it looked on the stream but it was clean as anything. McCormack had his best game in quite a while. Don't think we'd have had as much play linking midfield if Cummins had started, we haven't done that in recent matches as much. Surprising team selection but it worked very well for the most part. Just needed to take the chances we got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I actually think Caulfield got his tactics spot on, City missed 2 absolute sitters in McNamee and Cummins, and 2-3 more very good chances, kept legia pretty quiet except for 1 wonder strike. Could have easily been 2 or 3-0 City tonight, very very unlucky.

Absolutely no issues with the team selection after watching that, with the exception of Shepperd, he's just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Adrienne Kind Prism

I actually think Caulfield got his tactics spot on, City missed 2 absolute sitters in McNamee and Cummins, and 2-3 more very good chances, kept legia pretty quiet except for 1 wonder strike. Could have easily been 2 or 3-0 City tonight, very very unlucky.

Absolutely no issues with the team selection after watching that, with the exception of Shepperd, he's just not good enough.

Sheppard apparently was diagnosed with arthritis a few months back, ive a feeling hes now severly hindered by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Did think it was an odd time to have Sadlier on the bench alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cummins absolutely fluffed a great chance after he came on. He should've buried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Cummins absolutely fluffed a great chance after he came on. He should've buried it.

I saw that chance. Should have scored. He does seem out of form so more understandable he was on the bench.

Sadlier really should be starting. I think he could leave Cork at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

What CCFC neded last night were workhorses who will track back. Thats why Sadlier didn't start. He is great going forward and always willing to drive on, but even in his short appearance last night at one stage he was stood on the halfway line with his hands on his hips while Legia were attacking.

Missed 2 excellent chances which could have changed the tie entirely. However I got the impression Legia were very much in second gear max. 0-1 not the worst result, but it is very difficult to see progress to the next stage.

bot43 wrote: »
    What CCFC neded last night were workhorses who will track back. Thats why Sadlier didn't start. He is great going forward and always willing to drive on, but even in his short appearance last night at one stage he was stood on the halfway line with his hands on his hips while Legia were attacking.

Missed 2 excellent chances which could have changed the tie entirely. However I got the impression Legia were very much in second gear max. 0-1 not the worst result, but it is very difficult to see progress to the next stage.

Agreed on why sadlier didn't start, I'll say it again Caulfield got his tactics spot on and they were simply very unlucky not at very least have scored 2. It would be a completely different story had Cummins and Mcnamee have not miskicked their chances.

Sadlier starting would have meant one of the other 5 midfielders not starting and that would have completely changed the shape and structure they had last night. I would have had Cummins on instead of Shepperd thou, regardless of him being out of form, he would have still held it up better and won a few headers, Shepperd had a very poor game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Very disappointed in Cork last night. Before the game I wanted them to lose, as the more money they earn the better players they can sign which makes thinks more difficult for Dundalk. Simple isn't it?? Unfortunately during the game my heart overruled my head and I found myself cheering Cork on and willing them to win. I couldn't help myself, I became emotionally invested and really thought they'd win. Legia really were there for the taking last night as they are still in pre-season and played like they were, whereas Cork were fantastic. A bit more composure and a less cautious manager and I genuinely think they would have a goal or two lead going over to Warsaw and who knows what could happen then as they'd be seeded in the second round.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Very disappointed in Cork last night. Before the game I wanted them to lose, as the more money they earn the better players they can sign which makes thinks more difficult for Dundalk. Simple isn't it?? Unfortunately during the game my heart overruled my head and I found myself cheering Cork on and willing them to win. I couldn't help myself, I became emotionally invested and really thought they'd win. Legia really were there for the taking last night as they are still in pre-season and played like they were, whereas Cork were fantastic. A bit more composure and a less cautious manager and I genuinely think they would have a goal or two lead going over to Warsaw and who knows what could happen then as they'd be seeded in the second round.

I'll keep harping on about it but Caulfield only got 1 decision wrong last night in Shepperd up front over Cummins, everything else was spot on.

A less cautious manager would have seen us concede a few goals, Legia were reduced to wild shots from 30+ yards because of the structure and roles given to the more defensive line up. The only goal they did score was 30 yards out and no keeper would have stopped it.

City did enough to win, had Cummins and Mcnamee of made better connections with their chances it would have been 2-1.

Watched the stream with one eye, and the other on WC.

Thought City did ok, maybe should have scored 1. (Don’t think 2 as City would have been defending the lead goal)

Still all to play for in the return, but it will be a cauldron in Warsaw.

On that subject thought the Legia supporters were quiet. Just Poles living in Ireland or genuine Legia supporters? Didn’t see any flares from them (maybe just missed it).

joeysoap wrote: »
    Watched the stream with one eye, and the other on WC.

Thought City did ok, maybe should have scored 1. (Don’t think 2 as City would have been defending the lead goal)

Still all to play for in the return, but it will be a cauldron in Warsaw.

On that subject thought the Legia supporters were quiet. Just Poles living in Ireland or genuine Legia supporters? Didn’t see any flares from them (maybe just missed it).

There was plenty of Polish in the home crowd just out for the spectacle more so. The away section was mostly travelling fans about 300, there wasn't one flare from them.

They weren't very loud, they all took tops off after they scored for the rest of the game.

doncarlos wrote: »

Sure Cork get a by to 3rd round of Europa even if they don't progress so will be getting money fir the 2nd and 3rd rounds anyway I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sure Cork get a by to 3rd round of Europa even if they don't progress so will be getting money fir the 2nd and 3rd rounds anyway I assume.

I believe they don't get money for the second round

I believe they don't get money for the second round

I think they do but could be wrong.. Bit unclear https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0605/968424-cork-city-to-receive-800-000-just-for-entering-europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Think that article was before the draw and the bye, could be wrong.

Seems a bit unfair that they don't though. Particularly seen as they would have been seeded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Its been confirmed they dont get Round 2 money.

• Advertisement

Its been confirmed they dont get Round 2 money.

I'll take the 3rd round and coefficient over 200k any day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I'll take the 3rd round and coefficient over 200k any day

Your manager has recently said you cant compete with Dundalk on wages, fees for players yet you would rather getting into the 3rd round than missing out on €260,000. (You wont get the extra coefficient points for round 2)

Your manager has recently said you cant compete with Dundalk on wages, fees for players yet you would rather getting into the 3rd round than missing out on €260,000. (You wont get the extra coefficient points for round 2)

There are no Extra coefficient points. At least not till you make the group stages. You get one value based on when you get knocked out

Preliminary round elimination – 0.5 points
    First qualifying round elimination – 1 point
    Second qualifying round elimination – 1.5 points
    Third qualifying round elimination – 2 points
    Play-off elimination – 2.5 points
    Group stage win – 2 points
    Group stage draw – 1 point

So at the moment Cork are getting at least 2 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'd take being one step closer to the group stages and having two less games causing fixture congestion.

Would you have preferred if Dundalk started in the EL preliminary round just to get the extra round's prize money?

As mentioned, your coefficient is based on where you exit the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

How are TNS seeded?

Granted they have beaten European giants :) from Faroe Islands, San Marino, and Gibraltar the last few years but how does that warrant a seeding??

Pumped last night by an Albanian team.

*before Rovers fans appear* Couldn't be still living off the Bohs result.

major bill wrote: »
    How are TNS seeded?

Granted they have beaten European giants :) from Faroe Islands, San Marino, and Gibraltar the last few years but how does that warrant a seeding??

e
    Qualifying constantly and building up those coefficient points. Getting WAY ahead of myself here but IF Dundalk were to win the league this year they would be in with a good chance of at least a playoff next year on the back of their seeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

How are TNS seeded?

Granted they have beaten European giants smile.png from Faroe Islands, San Marino, and Gibraltar the last few years but how does that warrant a seeding??

Because they win the Welsh league every year. The CL gives more coefficient points to clubs than the EL. Until this season, it was much more - 1 point in the CL 2nd round (where they've either started in or else qualified for, when the 1st round had only weaker teams in it), 0.25 points for the EL 1st round. You used to need to get to the 3rd round of the EL to get the same points as a team that started in the 2nd round of the CL. So, they were guaranteed a much higher proportion of points, boosting their rankings. Most other clubs don't tend to dominate their league like TNS do, so they wouldn't have the benefit of accumulating coefficient points to their level.

It's changed a bit this season, though. The EL preliminary round gives you 0.5 points and the 1st round (where most teams start) gives 1. CL teams are guaranteed 1.5 (as preliminary/first round teams drop into the EL second round if they lose). TNS are borderline seeded at the moment, so a couple of years with other teams gaining more points with the new system might lead to them dropping down to being unseeded.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How are TNS seeded?

:)

I prefer the 0-1 defeat to Salzburg...that side should've done so much better with a great first leg result.

The same Fenlon football cost Rovers in the end too with RoPS.

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    ......l
    How are ticket sales for the other clubs going?

I’d guess Rovers and Derry will sell out.

Dundalk have a few tickets for the ‘away’ end

This has happened a few times in the past - away team return unsold tickets, and Dundalk allocate a section in of the main stand for away supporters. This frees up about 300 tickets.

I see Eir had Celtic match Tuesday night, Shamrock Rovers match tonight and looks like Rangers match next week. Pity they aren't going to show Cork's away match by the looks of things..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I’d guess Rovers and Derry will sell out.

Dundalk have a few tickets for the ‘away’ end

This has happened a few times in the past - away team return unsold tickets, and Dundalk allocate a section in of the main stand for away supporters. This frees up about 300 tickets.

No chance....we have had a big row up here for the last couple of weeks about the price of tickets, and quite a few fans are boycotting the game.

I think we will have about 2500 v full house of 3300.

I see Eir had Celtic match Tuesday night, Shamrock Rovers match tonight and looks like Rangers match next week. Pity they aren't going to show Cork's away match by the looks of things..

Do they have rights to CL? Surely its on RTE/TV 3

NIMAN wrote: »
    No chance....we have had a big row up here for the last couple of weeks about the price of tickets, and quite a few fans are boycotting the game.

I think we will have about 2500 v full house of 3300.

Man this crap annoys me. I'm sorry but how much did ye pay to see them play Barca in a meaningless friendly in the early naughties? I honestly don't know the answer to that but if its anywhere near the price of a competitive european fixture (in comparison to ticket prices at the time) then cry me a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Our usual ticket price is £14....Euro ticket was £25. And £20 for kids and concession.

Big bust up, chairman had to go on local radio to try to justify the charge, then they reduced kids to £10.

As a result, I can't see a sell out. Some people up here have strong views, and would sit in the house rather than buy a ticket to make a point.

I'll be there. Not often you get Euro football at your local club, I aint missing it over a fiver or tenner here or there.

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote: »

Yup sure Celtic are in CL. Guess rte/tv3 might have rights to group stages and knockouts? They don't seem bothered showering qualifiers anyway

dfx- wrote: »
    :)

I prefer the 0-1 defeat to Salzburg...that side should've done so much better with a great first leg result.

The same Fenlon football cost Rovers in the end too with RoPS.

Still my most painful moment in football, thought we were unlucky silly mistake cost us. Will still say from looking at his teams in Europe over the years that Fenlon is a fraud.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Our usual ticket price is £14....Euro ticket was £25. And £20 for kids and concession.

Big bust up, chairman had to go on local radio to try to justify the charge, then they reduced kids to £10.

As a result, I can't see a sell out. Some people up here have strong views, and would sit in the house rather than buy a ticket to make a point.

I'll be there. Not often you get Euro football at your local club, I aint missing it over a fiver or tenner here or there.

Fair balls to you but if Bohs tried to charge €28 or whatever the euro equivalent is for a European game against a mickey mouse outfit they would be told to **** off and rightly so. It's taking the piss out of fans that turn up each week, and can't be any justification for that sort of increase.

Fair balls to you but if Bohs tried to charge €28 or whatever the euro equivalent is for a European game against a mickey mouse outfit they would be told to **** off and rightly so. It's taking the piss out of fans that turn up each week, and can't be any justification for that sort of increase.

Was it not 25 quid for the Sunderland game? Don't think it was far off. Sell out iirc

Was it not 25 quid for the Sunderland game? Don't think it was far off. Sell out iirc

How many Bohs fans went to that??? Very few I have no problems with clubs wanting to cash in on daytrippers but I take issue when they try to cash in on their own fans! Spin it whatever way you want fans like Niman should not have to pay that much for a game against Minsk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Eir sports have rights for the Champions league. But the main contract for games to be on tv starts at the play-off round.

Until then it is up to the clubs to sell their games to tv if they wish.

like tonight Rangers game is on BT Sports

How many Bohs fans went to that??? Very few I have no problems with clubs wanting to cash in on daytrippers but I take issue when they try to cash in on their own fans! Spin it whatever way you want fans like Niman should not have to pay that much for a game against Minsk

Im not trying to spin it any way. Fans have no problem shelling out on glamour friendlies. I'm sure ye had a similar ticket sales for the Sunderland game as Galway did whereby they were sold at HT of a league game so I'd say enough of Bohs fans attended.

If a team qualifies for Europe they have a shed load of increased expenditure. Ya they get the finacial bonus but the same fans will want investment to get back to Europe again. What's the difference between raising the price of a ticket for European football and holding a fundraiser that a 100 or so people attend? Are they only allowed to increase the price if they draw a major team? What's the coefficient cut off for that?

I think it’s up to individual clubs at this stage to get what they can for tv rights. Cork were unlucky with the WC match on the same night. Later on Uefa dictate what coverage is (Dundalk v Legia, minimum number camera’s specified, and big screens showing the other qualifiers results and goals at the stadium) Uefa collect the money and distribute it later, according to their rules.

Good luck tonight to Rovers and Derry.

And especially to Dundalk.

C’mon the town.

Im not trying to spin it any way. Fans have no problem shelling out on glamour friendlies. I'm sure ye had a similar ticket sales for the Sunderland game as Galway did whereby they were sold at HT of a league game so I'd say enough of Bohs fans attended.

If a team qualifies for Europe they have a shed load of increased expenditure. Ya they get the finacial bonus but the same fans will want investment to get back to Europe again. What's the difference between raising the price of a ticket for European football and holding a fundraiser that a 100 or so people attend? Are they only allowed to increase the price if they draw a major team? What's the coefficient cut off for that?

If a person decides to shell out €25 to see Sunderland in a meaningless friendly that's their business. They have a choice, the club know there will be enough sales from Sunderland fans living in Ireland or UK so wouldn't be reliant on their own fans to turn up.
    Derry are leaving their fans no choice here really, its a **** you to them. The money now in Europe is ridiculous, even when everything is paid they will still have a bit left, makes no financial sense to higher the price up and get a lower gate than charge a lil bit extra and get a full house. They tried this last year from what I remember and ended up with ****all at the match. Pure greed nothing else. and YES if they did draw a household name that had world class players, maybe there would be a justification. Listen I understand when you put investment into the club you will look to make it back just think this isn't the way to go about it.

Anyway as said goodluck to them,

Not rovers they can **** off.

Duffy being out is a huge loss for Dundalk

McEleney fit? If so maybe get a start.

Dundalk need to get Duffy tied to a longer term contract ASAP.

McEleney fit? If so maybe get a start.

Dundalk need to get Duffy tied to a longer term contract ASAP.

Think McEleney is a few weeks off. Would expect connolloy, adorjan and mcgrath to start.

Longer contract for Duffy prob the best signing they could make but will depend on what offers he gets from England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Live stream for Dundalk v Tallinn

https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-fci-levadia/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Didn't realise Duffy was missing for Dundalk, he is a big loss especially if McEleney isn't ready to step in yet. I still fancy them to get a win tonight. Rovers I reckon will run AIK close, maybe a score draw in Tallaght tonight, will be interesting to see if Bradley goes with Bazunu or Mannus in goals, surely too much at stake to risk starting a 16 year old kid? Derry could get a hammering I fear, will be fortunate to keep it less than a three goal defeat but hopefully Minsk will underestimate them.

Always a great time of year with all the clubs in Europe but other than Dundalk it's hard to see anyone else progressing.

Didn't realise Duffy was missing for Dundalk, he is a big loss especially if McEleney isn't ready to step in yet. I still fancy them to get a win tonight. Rovers I reckon will run AIK close, maybe a score draw in Tallaght tonight, will be interesting to see if Bradley goes with Bazunu or Mannus in goals, surely too much at stake to risk starting a 16 year old kid? Derry could get a hammering I fear, will be fortunate to keep it less than a three goal defeat but hopefully Minsk will underestimate them.

Always a great time of year with all the clubs in Europe but other than Dundalk it's hard to see anyone else progressing.

Came off injured in last game. Latest I hear is that he might be fit enough to start. Will find out in the next 30 mins either way

• Advertisement
Advertisement