Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Didn't realise Duffy was missing for Dundalk, he is a big loss especially if McEleney isn't ready to step in yet. I still fancy them to get a win tonight. Rovers I reckon will run AIK close, maybe a score draw in Tallaght tonight, will be interesting to see if Bradley goes with Bazunu or Mannus in goals, surely too much at stake to risk starting a 16 year old kid? Derry could get a hammering I fear, will be fortunate to keep it less than a three goal defeat but hopefully Minsk will underestimate them.

Always a great time of year with all the clubs in Europe but other than Dundalk it's hard to see anyone else progressing.

I don't think there's much chance at all tonight unless AIK get lost on the Luas to Saggart, 0-2 AIK for me.

I think this side could do something against the likes of Ekranas, Bnei Yehuda or RoPS of recent draws, but AIK should be another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Dh6aifsXUAAeN82.jpg:large

Good news that duffy starts but bit disappointed that Adorjan doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Derry 0-1 down after 2 mins. Could be a heavy defeat on the cards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good goal for Dundalk. Vital away goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

These on tv anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Rovers match is on eir sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk should get through. Have an edge in fitness. Levadia are decent going forward but like last year still poor at the back. Although they are better than last season.

Connolly,Duffy & McGrath all played well. Gannon & Massey both poor & need to improve.
    Benson found some great positions but his end product was poor too many touches. Dundalk had 2 great chances to go 2-0 in the last 15 as Levadia tired.

Rovers have started very well in the first 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Poor game in Tallaght, AIK starting to dictate play. Bolger and Finn are anonymous.

Long second half ahead for Rovers.

• Advertisement

Poor game in Tallaght, AIK starting to dictate play. Bolger and Finn are anonymous.

Long second half ahead for Rovers.

I don't think it's a a poor game, both teams well able to play football but no real chances for either team. Rovers started great but AIK have really started to dominate, half time came at a good time for Rovers.

Coustrain is Rovers biggest threat down the right and Watts looks tidy. Weird formation they aren't really playing a left winger and are letting Kavanagh go 1v1 with their wing back. AIK fans making a lot of noise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Many AIK there?

That was coming. Bolger and Finn might was well be sitting at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Many AIK there?

400ish according to our mutual mate BC who is sitting next to them at the moment. Seems a very poor Rovers crowd there going by a few pictures of the East Stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Finn & especially Bolger were disappointing.

You could count on one hand the about of times Bolger got turned in midfield. Spent his time pointing at other players and throwing a tantrums.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not the worst result, still something to play for away anyway...

...but a fairly disappointing performance overall given the start we had. Held onto the ball well throughout the game and looked solid at the back. It took AIK 60 minutes to really get into the game, we should have at least tested them in that time. Their keeper looked seriously ropey, spilling every half shot from distance. Midfield was too static and we really just struggled to create and take any proper chances up front ...as did AIK really. One chance and they took it.

Fair report I would say, disappointing result more so than performance I think but AIK were there for the taking.

On a positive note I think it will be some team when Clarke gets back fit, Watts will be a great addition and Coustrain has come on so much since the start of the season. Only areas then that might be slightly weak are up front where Carr is isolated and at right back where I am not convinced by Boyle (although he hasn't been terrible).

• Advertisement

Bolger will be gone at the end of the season. He can't move.

Rovers have a good team now. Started to build a decent squad.

Coustrain deserves huge credit. Probably most improved player in the league looked oit of his depth 6 months ago now is performing very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So we didn't get the hammering many were predicting., even after conceding a goal in 2 minutes.

We never really scared Minsk at all, but got a good bit of possession after going behind for the rest of the first half. Second half we were found lacking compared to them for fitness, and it was easy enough 2 nil victory for them in the end.

The atmosphere was very flat all night. The ground was only half full, the boycott worked and many obviously decided to stick to their guns and not go.

Disappointing night over all. As I sat in the stadium tonight I thought about previous euro nights v likes of Gothenberg and PSG, and the place was jumping. Tonight the atmosphere was worse than most LOI games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Bottom line is : you have to be seeded.

Dundalk probably got the two hardest draws they could get for a seeded team. But the draw(s) they got are still miles better than Derrys or Rovers draws.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Bottom line is : you have to be seeded.

Dundalk probably got the two hardest draws they could get for a seeded team. But the draw(s) they got are still miles better than Derrys or Rovers draws.

Ah I dunno about that. Dundalk would have beaten AIK. Rovers would have beat them too if they had have shown a bit more intent. They were way too happy to take a nil nil.

Coleraine not seeded and they got a good result away from home

Coleraine not seeded and they got a good result away from home

Coleraine probably got the luckiest draw possible

Spartan Suboptica have absolutely no coefficient of their own. None.
    Their entire coefficient of 3.400 comes from their national sides coefficient

Under the new system it’s whatever is greater club or country.

Ireland is 1.340

Derry’s are 0.750 so they get the Irish coefficient 1.340
    Rovers are 1,250 so they too get 1.340
    If Waterford qualify next year they too will start with 1,340

Dundalk are 5,500 so they keep 5,500
    City are 1.750 so they keep 1.750

Imo any LOI club would probably have beaten Spartak Subtopica, but coleraine were unlucky not to win

https://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2018-2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

NIMAN wrote: »

The atmosphere was very flat all night. The ground was only half full, the boycott worked and many obviously decided to stick to their guns and not go.

Disappointing night over all. As I sat in the stadium tonight I thought about previous euro nights v likes of Gothenberg and PSG, and the place was jumping. Tonight the atmosphere was worse than most LOI games.

Will many travel over to the away leg? What's happened to Derry's away support in general? It seems pish poor these days and generally just OAP couples.... unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ireland is 1.340

Imo any LOI club would probably have beaten Spartak Subtopica, but coleraine were unlucky not to win

Dundalk have a great Coefficient

Ireland is 1.340

Yeah but that does not mean they are a bad team. They are coming from the serbian league which is not bad. There is a reason you get part of the country co-efficient.

Burnley have no points of their own but they will be seeded on the basis that their coming from the English league.

Glenavon were not seeded and they got a win. All in all the northern teams did quite well in the europa.

Seeding certainly helps a lot but its not the only thing. Luck of the draw comes into it. But I still think rovers should have won that match tonight if they should a bit more intent

Dundalk have a great Coefficient

By my reckoning all 4 clubs will increase next year. But in all probability so will a lot of clubs (TNS will go to 5.000?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

By my reckoning all 4 clubs will increase next year. But in all probability so will a lot of clubs (TNS will go to 5.000?)

TNS have 5.000 at the moment. They're losing 1 point, but gaining at least 1.5, so they'll go to 5.500.

The new coefficient system is good for clubs from smaller leagues that consistently qualify. The EL used to give very little. The only way you could've really been seeded for the first round of the EL was if you were in the CL for a few years, as it was very difficult to get to the third round of the EL or further, where you'd start to earn a decent number of points as there was an exponential increase for the first few (0.25 -> 0.5 -> 1).

The new system gives a lot more for teams in the earlier rounds and the increase per round is regular, rather than exponential. It means you're guaranteed a decent amount and it's possible for an LoI side regularly qualifying for the EL to get 5.000+. Of course, the increase applies to every team, so there'll be a degree of inflation and the cut-off point for being seeded will increase in line with that. But not all the same teams qualify every year. At least you won't necessarily have teams in Europe for the first time in ages ranked ahead of teams that qualify every year just because they're from a bigger league. In a few years time, we're more likely to have a few Irish teams that qualify regularly ranked ahead of teams from Cyprus, Poland, Sweden etc. that don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will many travel over to the away leg? What's happened to Derry's away support in general? It seems pish poor these days and generally just OAP couples.... unusual.

I'd say a handful.

We have always had that group of old folk for away games. They are part of a supporters club who go to every away game. Well in Ireland anyway. They even clubbed up years ago and bought their own bus.

Not sure if they will go to Minsk

Back in the day we had 3500 in both Gretna and Paris. Good times.

Worryingly for Derry, we have an old fan base, and I include myself in that group. Who knows what the future holds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know about any of the matches this week being televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭prodsc

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know about any of the matches this week being televised?

Saw on a listings site that Shams game is on Eir Sports 1 at 6pm but isn't on their site!!!

prodsc wrote: »
    Saw on a listings site that Shams game is on Eir Sports 1 at 6pm but isn't on their site!!!

Yeah coverage seems pretty poor so far this season. Maybe they're counting on Dundalk progressing and Cork having bye to Europa if they don't, and so will show their games at later stage. Think with the World Cup over they'd capitalise on viewers wanting to see more football. Coverage of LOI in general on the seems less than last year too.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah coverage seems pretty poor so far this season. Maybe they're counting on Dundalk progressing and Cork having bye to Europa if they don't, and so will show their games at later stage. Think with the World Cup over they'd capitalise on viewers wanting to see more football. Coverage of LOI in general on the seems less than last year too.

Happens every year with the Gaelic.

Should be showing more as the LOI teams are a much better watch than the awful GAA games on tv.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Happens every year with the Gaelic.

Should be showing more as the LOI teams are a much better watch than the awful GAA games on tv.

Well none of the European games clash with Gaa. And most LOI games on Friday evening so don't clash either. Don't think Eir show much GAA

I heard that RTE wanted to show the Dundalk game last week but were not willing to pay a fee to do so.

The club instead decided to go and stream the game themselves. Hopefully this continues. I want the league on tv but I want the clubs to get something for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

prodsc wrote: »

AIK v Rovers, Eir Sport..

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1019153090761691136

Good luck to City today.

Hard ask but you never know.

Anyway I hope they enjoy the craic (and flares)

Worst case they are in the 3rd round of Europa League.

This video is the last minute of the 2016 match when Dundalk were chasing the 2nd goal.

https://youtu.be/zGpcjLCjrHs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Very hard to see City get 2 or more goals tonight, would be a massive result but would take an unbelievable performance.

Many Cork travel?

Cork will most likely find it hard on Legia's bigger pitch.

McNamee's miss was awful last week. Legia look poor at the back.
    Sadlier needs to start tonight. I would drop McNamee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Away to Warsaw was the most intimidating experience I've ever had at a game. Their fans were absolutely nuts. The whole stadium was bouncing and the noise they were producing was unreal. There are quite a few of the Cork players will never have experienced anything like it and it's important for the likes of Delaney to keep them focused.

Doing alright.

Keep it at 0-0 till HT and it's game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭Guffy

Doing alright.

Keep it at 0-0 till HT and it's game on.

Kiss of death :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

very soft goal

FFS Cherrie.

Pathetic stuff.

Very close from Sheppard, thats more like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No need to close him down or anything. Just give him 10 seconds to float in a cross.

ZmUUvt4.png

Oat23 wrote: »
    No need to close him down or anything. Just give him 10 seconds to float in a cross.

ZmUUvt4.png

FFS, look at the Cork midfield. Get up the pitch and put some pressure on Legia.

Cork doing ok.

But not enough quality in the front line.
    Sadlier should be starting would have more pace to get in behind Legia's high line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

FFS, look at the Cork midfield. Get up the pitch and put some pressure on Legia.

It was unbelievable really. Can't give anyone that much time.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

sugarman wrote: »
    Cork playing well, getting decent half chances but a terrible goal to concede tho ..can't see them scoring, nevermind 2 now.

Concede soft goal
    Don't look like scoring

How is that doing well?

Got into Legia half and not conceded too many chances .

Corks midfield will be knackered after 60 mins.

Covering a lot of ground. They have done well

That was poor from McNamee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You'd hope JC would just tell them to go for it in the 2nd half. No point relying on half chances to get two goals back. Go down giving it everything. Legia's keeper isn't afraid to leave his box either, like a sweeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement