Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Guffy wrote: »
    Are the rovers or dunalk games on tv?

Rovers is on Eir. Dundalk game being streamed

Dundalk Game
    http://www.delfi.ee/misc/export/stream.php?stream=babahh_tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭VillaMad

75 minutes played. AIK have upped it but Rovers are coping admirably so far.

AIK are top of the Swedish League and are unbeaten also. They haven't looked a very good side in this tie so far. You expect more from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Whats the craic with the huge sticker on the back of the Shams jersey rather than just the name & number being ironed on?

1e8ba329131296a888445500257b40e5.png

Wonderful chance for Greene. Free header at the back post and he hits the outside of the post. They won't get a better chance than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Oat23 wrote: »
    Whats the craic with the huge sticker on the back of the Shams jersey rather than just the name & number being ironed on?

1e8ba329131296a888445500257b40e5.png

UEFA regulation I think. Number has to be on a solid colour, not hoops or stripes.

Wealthier clubs, just have different kits for Europe.

• Advertisement

Carbon copy goal for AIK from last week at the start of extra-time. First time in the game that they got in behind Rovers.

Dundalk 1-0 up. Great header by Hoban into the bottom corner.

Now 2-0. Duffy with a screamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

2-1 in the dundalk match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Goof performance from Rovers but their legs were gone by the end, similar to last week that started the better team but faded as the game went on, that guy Olsson for AIK is a real baller looked streets ahead of everyone tonight when he came on. A lot of what ifs for Rovers looking back on it, Greene hitting the post with a few mins to go and Coustrain missing a great 1v1 in the first half, but overall I agree it was lost in the first leg. If Rovers had of kept the clean sheet last week or pressed them for a goal a bit more then they would be going through. Two positive performances overall I would say.

Fair play to Derry as well, really did not think they had a chance with the way they are playing in the league lately but pulled off a great result tonight that they can be proud of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know Derry and Shams are out, but do they get coefficient points for a win?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mushy wrote: »

I believe you just get the points for what stage you exit the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

We got through. Brilliant goal from Duffy , but they had ( looked close) a goal chalked off for offside. We looked tired in the last quarter.

Shed was outstanding tonight. I can’t recall an away team coming over to the shed supporters before, but that’s what the Levadia players did tonight after the full time whistle. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pick that out! What a goal from Michael Duffy. @DundalkFC lead Levadia Tallinn 2-1 at Oriel Park (3-1 on aggregate) and you'll do very well to find a better finish anywhere in Europe tonight than this peach of a volley #RTEsoccer

Ha! Too bad I had to find somewhere better to watch it happen live isn't it? #RTEsoccer indeed.

Anyway, AEK Larnaca of Cyprus next. Dundalk shouldn't fear them. 'Home' leg first but I fear this is the stage where they have to start looking beyond the Wee County is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Larnaca will have much of the possesion in the next round.

But Dundalk's pace on both wings could be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyway, AEK Larnaca of Cyprus next. Dundalk shouldn't fear them. 'Home' leg first but I fear this is the stage where they have to start looking beyond the Wee County is it not?

No next week in oriel

No next week in oriel

Tickets on sale tomorrow and Saturday for season tickets holders (just over 1,0000 ST holders)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mushy wrote: »

Rovers goes down as a draw I thought...

Missed chances tonight costs progress. AIK got out of jail, just have to take them when you're on top.

UEFA regulation I think. Number has to be on a solid colour, not hoops or stripes.

:) Ah, now.

Rovers sell a player for €350,000k ?
    Rovers collect €200k for a friendly ?
    Rovers will collect €240k Europa League prizemoney.

• Advertisement

Rovers will be strong next season.

Starting to finally develop a good side.

Rovers & Derry's performances making Cork's look very poor against Legia

MD1990 wrote: »

Next year will be their year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Different standard of opposition to be fair though. But at same time Cork could have performed better. Unlucky at home then away was a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Very good performance from Rovers last night and a lil bit unlucky, can't say they never had the chances so one of those what could have been. The difference was the bench, Olsson was fairly decent when he came on. Rovers just didn't have anything to throw at the game in the end.

Just lacked that bit of quality to get them through extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Same old story for Rovers........"next year, next year". Next Year never comes though, does it?

Legia were by far the strongest of any of the opposition to face Irish teams. City were unfortunate to lose the home match, and never really stood a chance in the away leg. Much like Derry & Rovers, what ultimately cost City was not taking our chances at home.

City, Derry and Rovers did well against much stronger opposition that would have probably hammered them a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Lets put the city game in perspective the lads brought on a sub they paid 6 million for and are regular champions league group stagers -city handed 2 goals away tuesday night cherrie wasnt great

Same old story for Rovers........"next year, next year". Next Year never comes though, does it?

Legia were by far the strongest of any of the opposition to face Irish teams. City were unfortunate to lose the home match, and never really stood a chance in the away leg. Much like Derry & Rovers, what ultimately cost City was not taking our chances at home.

City, Derry and Rovers did well against much stronger opposition that would have probably hammered them a few years ago.

:confused:

They lost 4-0 on agg.

That is not doing well. Cork players & staff I am sure don't think they done well.

:confused:

They lost 4-0 on agg.

That is not doing well. Cork players & staff I am sure don't think they done well.

We should have got at least a draw in the first leg.

We performed well in the second leg, in general, and shouldn't have lost 3-0.

Obviously, the fans, Johnny C, City players and staff would have preferred a better result, but it was a far closer tie than the aggregate score suggests. So I stand by my original point that City did well against a far superior team.

dfx- wrote: »
    Rovers goes down as a draw I thought...

Missed chances tonight costs progress. AIK got out of jail, just have to take them when you're on top.

Rovers and Derry coefficient updated already. Dundalk and Cork not updated

https://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2018-2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Special mention for Chris Shields yet again for last night's performance. An absolutely magnificent display in midfield from the big man. Shieldsy isn't perfect and can be frustrating to watch sometimes but on nights like last night when it's all on the line he always stands up and delivers. He was everywhere last night especially in the second half when we were pinned back and under pressure. Getting blocks in and winning frees to relieve the pressure. Some wonderful passing as well. Martin O'Neill was in attendance and I'm guessing the names of Shields and Duffy were written in his little notebook for potential call-ups.

Duffy's goal one of the best I've ever seen in Oriel Park. Absolute rocket from a ridiculous angle. He wasn't his usual self in general play though as he was carrying an injury. Seemed to be really feeling it in the second half. Hopefully it's only a niggle and he'll be back to his best for Thursday's game against Larnaca.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Different standard of opposition to be fair though. But at same time Cork could have performed better. Unlucky at home then away was a disaster

AIK top of Swedish league and in season as well .

Cork faced Legia after 2 months of no competitive football.

AIK top of Swedish league and in season as well .

Cork faced Legia after 2 months of no competitive football.

Legia were champions too. Only difference is off season. Doesn't change quality of opposition

Zico ! wrote: »
    Lets put the city game in perspective the lads brought on a sub they paid 6 million for and are regular champions league group stagers city handed 2 goals away tuesday night cherrie wasnt great

No they're not. Qualified when they beat Dundalk that time. Before that, it was 20 years since they were in the CL Group Stages.

Legia were champions too. Only difference is off season. Doesn't change quality of opposition

The circumstance obviously makes a difference.

Cork faced Legia were they would be quite a bit of there best.

Rovers faced AIK who were in mid season & in top form.

Legia may not have been in full form and their fitness levels may not have been at maximum yet, fair enough.

But can anyone here seriously argue that the Polish champions of the past six years would not have been expected to brush aside ANY LoI team? Any comparison that can be made between Legia and an LoI team would favour the Polish side massively: finances, facilities, stadium, playing staff, league standard, European pedigree, etc, etc.

In European terms, Legia are far ahead of any team in Ireland. City could have performed better, admittedly, but even if we played at our best over the two games, it's still probable that Legia would have won the tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Or since they know they are playing in Europe and change kits each season just design the kit for European regulations

Legia may not have been in full form and their fitness levels may not have been at maximum yet, fair enough.

But can anyone here seriously argue that the Polish champions of the past six years would not have been expected to brush aside ANY LoI team? Any comparison that can be made between Legia and an LoI team would favour the Polish side massively: finances, facilities, stadium, playing staff, league standard, European pedigree, etc, etc.

In European terms, Legia are far ahead of any team in Ireland. City could have performed better, admittedly, but even if we played at our best over the two games, it's still probable that Legia would have won the tie.
    Eh Dundalk ran them close less than two years ago! They certainly didn't brush us aside. The tie was alive up to pretty much the final kick of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

City will face the losers from one of the below bolded matches in the 3rd round of the EL. Suduva the obvious ones that we'd want to get, Kukes would be a decent one as well. Other than that, some difficult potential opponents, seeded or unseeded. Some very far trips as well, with Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Israel all in there. Pity Valur didn't hang on against Rosenborg, would have been another decent one.

Dii87GrXUAgrLUp.jpg

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    City will face the losers from one of the below bolded matches in the 3rd round of the EL. Suduva the obvious ones that we'd want to get, Kukes would be a decent one as well. Other than that, some difficult potential opponents, seeded or unseeded. Some very far trips as well, with Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Israel all in there. Pity Valur didn't hang on against Rosenborg, would have been another decent one.

Dii87GrXUAgrLUp.jpg

Where did you find this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Where did you find this ?

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/draws/round=2000988/?iv=true

The draw is 11.45am Irish time for the champions path and 1pm for the main path.

Looking at the two groups, we've gotten a tougher pool of teams we could play, in terms of quality and travel. Would be great to get Suduva, but hopefully we at least avoid the long haul trips to western Asia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NIMAN wrote: »
    Great result but what could have been.

If we had been better in Brandywell game, had not lost our main grafter after 90secs of game.

But lads did great tonight, fair play to them.

The DC board must be kicking themselves over their pricing fiasco for the first leg. A sell out home leg giving a slightly better result would have been richly rewarded.......

I checked the forecast for Larnaka for 2nd August. It’s showing 36 degrees, match is at 16:30 :eek:

joeysoap wrote: »
    I checked the forecast for Larnaka for 2nd August. It’s showing 36 degrees, match is at 16:30 :eek:
    We just need to ensure we go over there with a 6-0 lead then. :cool:

Local time or Irish time?

Zebra3 wrote: »

Local time. 18.30 Irish. It’ll be hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭prodsc

Zebra3 wrote: »

16.30 Irish time 18.30 local

Make up your mind, lads. :pac:

:(

They are two hours ahead of us, so 16:30 Irish is correct
    18:30 will still be hot , but not as hot , so maybe 4-0 lead enough :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

:(

They are two hours ahead of us, so 16:30 Irish is correct
    18:30 will still be hot , but not as hot , so maybe 4-0 lead enough :cool:

I can't remember what the temperature was when when we played out there but the stadium is bowl-like and traps heat making it far hotter inside the ground than outside. I'm pretty sure it was later in the evening when we kicked off as well but the heat was still oppressive.

(BTW, if you're looking on Google Maps it's the rectangular stadium and not the circular one - both are alongside each other..)

EDIT: It was 8pm Irish time when we kicked off...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City will play losers of Celtic or Rosenborg

• Advertisement
Advertisement