Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas for motorhome

• 05-06-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have a three way system to use fridge in my motorhome. As I will not be staying in camp sites, I will not be able to plug into electrical posts. So, I would like to fill my tank situated under motorhome with gas but can't find anywhere that does this. Can anyone tell me where I can get this . I am in Kildare.

Cheers,
    Denise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Are you sure it's a gas tank?

Gas normally comes in bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boyfriend

Yes, it's not the bottle type cylinder.

It's propane, which is a gas

Yeah I know what propane is, but that too normally comes in bottles?

Unless its the likes of calor gas etc.

I would imagine it will very much depend on what the installation on your mobile home is I guess?

Have you tried to check with Calor gas?

Actually I think in some countries they just use autogas (LPG/GPL) in which case you'd need to be looking for a petrol station that has it.
    You may need to correct adaptor for the nozzles.

But, for some reason LPG seems to have never really caught on very well here, lot of other countries you'd get it at pretty much any petrol station

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help. I will look into your suggestions,

Denise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ireland/#map

Autogas outlets on the map above. If its an import you might need an adapter ireland uses ACME. was it a professionally fitted system? Ive seen some dodgy diy conversions of liquid tanks to vapour take off its possible to overfill and get liquid rather than vapour out of the tank.

Thank you. Yes, it was professionally done. I am a bit nervous having gas in a tank under me as I drive. I'm thinking now I might convert to calour bottled gas instead,

Denise.

boyfriend wrote: »
    Thank you. Yes, it was professionally done. I am a bit nervous having gas in a tank under me as I drive. I'm thinking now I might convert to calour bottled gas instead,

Denise.
    Those tanks are crash tested and have fire safety valves and are typically installed with steel strapping much safer than a calor bottle inside tge van. Should be much safer than a calor bottle installed inside the van.

boyfriend wrote: »

Denise.
    Those tanks are crash tested and have fire safety valves and are typically installed with steel strapping. Should be much safer than a calor bottle installed inside the van.

• Advertisement

O .K. So, this type of gas is what I need for cooking, heating and running fridge with , as opposed to using it to run a vehicle as fuel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

How does price compare with bottled GAS I wonder?

Bottle Gas is easy to get a replacement but not all Service Stations does auto Gas however if enough of us were using they might just stock it.

Yes, indeed.

m8 wrote: »
    How does price compare with bottled GAS I wonder?

Bottle Gas is easy to get a replacement but not all Service Stations does auto Gas however if enough of us were using they might just stock it.

Varies vastly according to cylinder size. Autogas is about 72c average per liter which is roughly 0.5kg so the equivalent of 11.34kg calor bottle costs about 16.50.

When you compare to 6kg and smaller bottles it can be a huge saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

I have an old German motorhome - a 1994 Hymer - that has the two original grey propane bottles that it came with. They're refillable and I've had them filled by S&L Gas Distribution in Greenogue Business Park, Rathcoole (01)4587033. I think they can do butane as well, but I prefer propane. And as someone said, a properly fitted underslung gas tank is probably safer than bottles. Wish my van had one...

Thank you.

Advertisement