Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 bed detached house off the plans

Options
  • 05-06-2018 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We are buying a standard 4 bed house off the plans and they are starting work on it tomorrow! The builder wants to meet with us to discuss any changes we want to make to the layout etc. To be honest I thought we would have to stick with what we were given! Does anyone have any suggestions about changes they have made to a standard layout which worked really well? We are leaving the kitchen /living area/ sitting room all open plan.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The best one I heard of was to take out the en-suite and get an extra bedroom. A friend of mine got 2k off the price, got higher rent than the neighbours and sold the house for more than the going rate after the 10 years was up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Very hard to make real suggestions without seeing the plans. Can you post a PDF link or image maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

detoxkid wrote: »
    We are buying a standard 4 bed house off the plans and they are starting work on it tomorrow! The builder wants to meet with us to discuss any changes we want to make to the layout etc. To be honest I thought we would have to stick with what we were given! Does anyone have any suggestions about changes they have made to a standard layout which worked really well? We are leaving the kitchen /living area/ sitting room all open plan.

I can only offer very limited advice based on my own experience and a lot depends on the spec you have paid for so to speak but fwiw:

Have a think about lighting, especially in the kitchen/diner where you may want to consider under cabinet LEDs or other task lighting.

If the major appliances are included - are they up to the spec you would prefer. If not maybe they would give you an allowance to allow you to select alternatives yourself.

If you have a hot press / utility - might be worth considering having them do shelving for you.

Radiators if put in awkward places could be a PITA to move. So consider where they might be a nuisance - such as under windows where they can influence your choice of how to dress the windows.

Depending on your budget, the possibilities are endless... If it was me I would concentrate on stuff that would be inordinately messy to do afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The best one I heard of was to take out the en-suite and get an extra bedroom. A friend of mine got 2k off the price, got higher rent than the neighbours and sold the house for more than the going rate after the 10 years was up.

Maybe if you're buying to rent but I certainly wouldn't do that in my own home!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Have u lived in a place with open plan kitchen and sitting room? Just from own experience I couldn't do it again. Too much noise from kitchen affecting TV etc and if different visitors or family call it's nice to have more then one area to chill out in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We are buying a standard 4 bed house off the plans and they are starting work on it tomorrow!
    The most important thing they need to know now is if you want any changes to the structure that will affect foundations or changes to drainage.
    The builder wants to meet with us to discuss any changes we want to make to the layout etc.
    This is how builders make extra money - fancy bathrooms, glorious kitchen, shiny paint, extra lights, add carpets and tiling, timber deck, garden shed and so on. I understand it's a sales technique to insist both (if relevant) buyers are present. This is a hard sell to extract more money form you.

The one thing I suggest you look at is ensure you have enough power and data points.
    We are leaving the kitchen /living area/ sitting room all open plan.
    Heating this space for the full day during winter may be quite expensive - you won't be able to close the door and turn down the heat in an unused room.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Upstairs living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Very hard to make real suggestions without seeing the plans. Can you post a PDF link or image maybe?

Some images attached

Have u lived in a place with open plan kitchen and sitting room? Just from own experience I couldn't do it again. Too much noise from kitchen affecting TV etc and if different visitors or family call it's nice to have more then one area to chill out in.

No...and good point!

Victor wrote: »
    The most important thing they need to know now is if you want any changes to the structure that will affect foundations or changes to drainage.

This is how builders make extra money - fancy bathrooms, glorious kitchen, shiny paint, extra lights, add carpets and tiling, timber deck, garden shed and so on. I understand it's a sales technique to insist both (if relevant) buyers are present. This is a hard sell to extract more money form you.

The one thing I suggest you look at is ensure you have enough power and data points.

Heating this space for the full day during winter may be quite expensive - you won't be able to close the door and turn down the heat in an unused room.

All good points and yes I can see how tempting it would be to upspec. My husband is meeting the builder tomorrow - thankfully he is way more practical than I am!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A friend was in a similar position and got the attic converted at a reasonable cost (though cant be classed as a bedroom)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This stood out for me as well. When you say open plan will there be dividing french doors to close off the sitting room?

Imagine something burning in an oven, the noise from a fan, steam from pots on the hob, the smell of food.

It is nice to have a completely closed off sitting room. If a guest calls and you want to chat being able to have a separate closed off sitting room allows you to hear and have privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Screenshot only contained a clipped view of the plan.

But I would echo suggestions made here already;

If budget is a concern only change structural items/layout elements (moving position of a door...etc) for now. Upgrades to finishes can always be made later.

Ensure you've a lot of sockets allowed for (I'm living in a house built in 1996.. lot of extension cables!)

I like the idea of pulling a door on a room also, open plan would drive me spare, think noise of extractor fans when cooking, TV needs to be low or off if kids doing homework, heating... Etc.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Go through the locations for plug sockets. Make sure you will have sockets everywhere you'll need them. For example make sure there's a socket behind both bedside lockers in the bedrooms.

You could also consider getting network ports put into all the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

awec wrote: »
    Go through the locations for plug sockets. Make sure you will have sockets everywhere you'll need them. For example make sure there's a socket behind both bedside lockers in the bedrooms.

You could also consider getting network ports put into all the rooms.

If the house is going to be wired for Virgin make sure the Virgin port is somewhere sensible.

Are all new houses fitted with usb sockets now?
    It makes it handier for charging things though not everyone would be a fan of cables sticking out.

If there is a vanity/storage room beside the WC get plenty of floor to ceiling shelving. Storage is always a big issue.

Another poster mentioned converting the attic. It certainly would give you a lot of storage especially with easy access through a stira stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Electrical sockets, you can never have enough and get one in the back garden.

Outside tap in the back garden.

Who is supplying tv and broadband for the estate - how many tv outlets do you need if you watch on a tv instead of a device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

4ensic15 wrote: »
    C3PO wrote: »
    Maybe if you're buying to rent but I certainly wouldn't do that in my own home!

When I was tiling I always advised people to take out the toilet from the ensuite and just use it as a shower /wet room / dirty laundry room. Once I took out he toilet and showed them how much room it gave them 90% went with it. A shower, a sink ,a mirror and a rad. In most cases ensuites are less than 10 steps away from a bathroom anyway so why crap in your own bedroom ?

Back on topic... I'd ask them to floor the attic ( a pain in the ass job if you end up doing it yourself later) , add an outside tap and depending on the grounds add outdoor electrical outlets and a wired shed if possible. All small things that will make life easier down the line. Design and features are all pretty personal so I wouldn't venture to advise you on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cat 6 Cabled

Bedroom 3 strikes me as a shame it's a single. Could the en suite be rotated by 90 degrees to allow a slightly smaller master and bedroom 3 to become a double?

Is there scope to convert the attic? Maybe have a master suite up there?

Just some bits of the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When I was tiling I always advised people to take out the toilet from the ensuite and just use it as a shower /wet room / dirty laundry room. Once I took out he toilet and showed them how much room it gave them 90% went with it. A shower, a sink ,a mirror and a rad. In most cases ensuites are less than 10 steps away from a bathroom anyway so why crap in your own bedroom ?
    All well and good until you are competing for bathroom space with a bunch of teenagers. :)

Some comments attached.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is what I’d do :

TV points in every room and all bedrooms. At every tv point have a nether net point wired back to a central location or where your future internet router will be. This will allow all tv to be connected to the router directly for watching Netflix, streaming etc saves you connecting them all to WiFi and worrying about it dropping etc

Put in kitchen island and associated drainage for washing machine, dishwasher and sink.

Pour foundations in the void and build up rising walls to square off the rear of the house to allow for a future extension with the ground works already done.

I’d alter the upstairs bedroom 3 so the entrance is pushed towards the front of the house. Yes the room gets smaller but it provides space for a proper fixed stairs to the attic for future conversion. And with a future conversion in mind I’d ask for the roof to be done so that the open space is already there including the structure/floor and some Velux windows etc

These upgrades won’t be cheap but they’ll save you a fortune in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some images attached
    How old are your kids? Will you use the bath, or would you prefer a decent sized stand in shower for the main bathroom?

I'm going to concentrate on the attic on the following points, as IMO it's the hardest place to get to internally and externally.
    A friend was in a similar position and got the attic converted at a reasonable cost (though cant be classed as a bedroom)
    This. Even if you just get the bare boards down, it can drastically increase your storage space, especially for seasonal crap like the fake christmas tree and all the lights, etc. Being able to put all these boxes to one side makes life so much easier, and allows you not to have to keep buying the same tat every year. Also, add a chest, and you can store winter/summer clothes up there.

Location of water tank in the attic. If you want to make use of the attic space, you don't want to block off a large section of the attic because the water tank blocks access to it. If it can be put to one side of the attic so that's it's parallel with the side, as opposed to sticking out at a right angle. In my parents attic, the water tank blocked off at least a quarter of the attic, whilst the water tank at a mates didn't, as they had moved/gotten it moved to the side.

Finally, again with the attic; have sort of natural light source. A double glazed Velux window allows light in, and can be opened to let air in. It can be nice to have if you decide to make use of the attic in other ways further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

good luck in your new home. Just wondering if the house is terraced with no rear access? Always a pain trying to get anything done in the back garden as everything has to go through the house like patio, shed, garden lights, outdoor electric sockets, taps etc.

Edit: oops, just saw house is detached..😴

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

One thing I regret in our build is I didn't cop you needed different plumbing for regular sinks vs floating sinks! ( one comes from wall and other floor) so I'd defiantly do that. Get storage units under the stairs. Utility looks tiny there especially if boiler In there too there'llbe no room for anything else. Get an island in the kitchen as there's very little counter space. Check where the ladder for the attic will come down- ours stupidly goes up into an awkward eves space . Get alarm wired in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cat 6 Cabled

Bedroom 3 strikes me as a shame it's a single. Could the en suite be rotated by 90 degrees to allow a slightly smaller master and bedroom 3 to become a double?

Is there scope to convert the attic? Maybe have a master suite up there?

Just some bits of the top of my head.

To be fair getting 4 double bedrooms in 1200 sq feet is a big ask looks like 2 of them are single

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

External (covered) socket (with it's own switch on the main fuseboard if at all possible), as this can be great for xmas lights and strimming the grass, etc. And a tap a meter away. Would recommend having this socket on the same side of the house that you'd think of putting a shed (so that you could connect the wire from said socket along the wall to the shed).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cyrus wrote: »
    To be fair getting 4 double bedrooms in 1200 sq feet is a big ask looks like 2 of them are single

Aye, but I thought they might get three. I think the better suggestion than mine was proper access to the attic. Potentially that could add another double bedroom, with en suite and significant value to the property.

I assume planning would be an issue though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Get a shed wired with power to accommodate washer/dryer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Bring central heating pipes to either one of the rear doors for possible future extension. Also depending on position of fuseboard allow electrical wires for future extension

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Pocket doors from the sitting room to the kitchen.
    Make a list of stuff to plugin for each room then review socket locations with that in mind.
    Make the sink in the downstairs wc a big Belfast style sluice sink.

There seems to be a big lack of storage across the house.
    Make a list of all the awkward items you need to store and assign them.
    Ironing board, sweeping brushes, mops, suitcases, Christmas decor etc.

• Advertisement

Op here. Some great suggestions, thanks to everyone for taking the time so far, will read through them properly shortly

Advertisement