Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 bed detached house off the plans

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Ask for no recessed lights and more importantly ask for bottom of interior plasterboard to be sealed to floor.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Out of curiosity does anyone have a rough guestimate of what you'd expect to pay to get cat6 cabling throughout the house in a 4 bed, 3 story house if the work is being done while the house is being built?

Are we talking hundreds or thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

awec wrote: »
    Are we talking hundreds or thousands?
    1000ft of cat6 is $110 (before tax), so I'd say the expensive part would be the labour. Personally, I'd have the router in the attic so I could attach a NAS directly to it, but I'd say parts + labour would be hundreds. Of course, it'd depend on if they needed to subcontract the work out, for someone to pop in to wire the house for them, or if one of the sparks will wire the house up, and leave all the wires sticking out somewhere for the router. They could "know a lad", or they may need someone with certs, with the latter being possibly costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Also depends if you want it wired to a central switch etc etc

All I'd be looking is the internal wall wiring done with face plates put on. Everything else I can do myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The best one I heard of was to take out the en-suite and get an extra bedroom. A friend of mine got 2k off the price, got higher rent than the neighbours and sold the house for more than the going rate after the 10 years was up.
    I’d rather the ensuite. He’s buying a home not an investment property

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=452674&stc=1&d=1528322120

not sure if its to everyones taste but here we go.

1) Give the stairs a turn and put the hot press infront of it, creating more space in bedroom 4
    2) move the bathroom out so it gives more space to bedroom 2
    3) make the ensuite a wet room so it can be a bit smaller making up for the slight master bedroom space lost.
    4) cut the weird corridor / stairwell encroach out of bedroom 3, its just dead space and its now the same size as 4.

I think this makes the hall more open and doesn't really waste any wall space or create any nooks in it, makes it easier to light evenly, still gives ample space for the 4 bedrooms and theres no loss of features but theres no odd shaped rooms or encroaches now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=452674&stc=1&d=1528322120

not sure if its to everyones taste but here we go.

1) Give the stairs a turn and put the hot press infront of it, creating more space in bedroom 4
    2) move the bathroom out so it gives more space to bedroom 2
    3) make the ensuite a wet room so it can be a bit smaller making up for the slight master bedroom space lost.
    4) cut the weird corridor / stairwell encroach out of bedroom 3, its just dead space and its now the same size as 4.

I think this makes the hall more open and doesn't really waste any wall space or create any nooks in it, makes it easier to light evenly, still gives ample space for the 4 bedrooms and theres no loss of features but theres no odd shaped rooms or encroaches now.
    The stairs would need to be pretty steep to get high enough in that amount of space. Where the stairs turn you need a flat area.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

awec wrote: »
    The stairs would need to be pretty steep to get high enough in that amount of space. Where the stairs turn you need a flat area.

are you not allowed to use a radial turn here ?
    http://www.therutlandworkshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Bespoke-Oak-Staircase-Corner.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d rather the ensuite. He’s buying a home not an investment property

He is investing in a property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Have u lived in a place with open plan kitchen and sitting room? Just from own experience I couldn't do it again. Too much noise from kitchen affecting TV etc and if different visitors or family call it's nice to have more then one area to chill out in.

Best place I ever lived was open plan. Excellent when raising young children or simply feeling in touch with the person / people you live with.
    Additional light in the house as well.
    You can install a folding or sliding doors for partitioning

Victor wrote:
    Heating this space for the full day during winter may be quite expensive - you won't be able to close the door and turn down the heat in an unused room.

Depends on how well insulated the house is. B1 up (or thereabouts) and you should not worry about this as convection from heatimg of the opposite side by the sun will then transfer (e.g. from south to North). In addition you shouldn't leave a room v cold. I used to have an extremely large open plan area with absolutely no heating issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

no.8 wrote: »
    Best place I ever lived was open plan. Excellent when raising young children or simply feeling in touch with the person / people you live with.
    Additional light in the house as well.
    You can install a folding or sliding doors for partitioning

Each his own.
    Having kids you still need downtime for watching a TV show or match while partner minds the kids. And cooking creates a racket too. But again it's a personal choice.

Each his own. Having kids you still need downtime for watching a TV show or match while partner minds the kids. And cooking creates a racket too. But again it's a personal choice.

All good points. I guess ideally you could have it all :). May vary with age too (e.g. put up block work quick when they are teenagers and then remove it when they move out :D).

Some houses these days have too many toilets imo.
    Could be used for a walk in wardrobe/more room for each of 1 of the bedrooms...or Indeed a single massive upstairs bathroom with a sauna or jacuzzi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Victor wrote: »
    All well and good until you are competing for bathroom space with a bunch of teenagers. :)

Not really as the biggest fights take place because you need to use the shower / sink / bath at the same time that your lovely daughter (or son !!) decides to undertake an hour long beauty regime.

There's already two other toilets there which should be more than adequate and you'll still be retaining all of your washroom facilities which is what you really need most of the time.

Advertisement